• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Dontaku about Legit Shook

Yeah, they're usually monthly - so far there have been 5 this year;

. Wrestle Kingdom VII - 01/04
. The New Beginning - 02/10
. New Japan Cup 2013 - 03/23
. Invasion Attack - 04/07
. Wrestling Dontaku 2013 - 05/03

The next PPV is going to be DOMINION 2013 on June 22nd. A few non-PPV shows worth hunting down are the Anniversary Show from 03/03, which had a great Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Prince Devitt match and the 3 CMLL/NJPW FantasticaMania 2013 shows from January.

It's not from this year but I'd add this to the top of that list, as it was their first iPPV and an amazing show:
King of Pro Wrestling 2012 - 10/08

Lol watching this weeks NXT and Bo Dallas name dropping and quoting John Cena. They are just turning him heel since nobody likes him. Beyond terrible promo

This Sami Zayn guy looks like he could be good. I have never seen his face around the indies before, do he must be one of HHHs buddies or something.

...and Rene's blouse is nice

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
GI8SWev.png

Ithil

Lol watching this weeks NXT and Bo Dallas name dropping and quoting John Cena. They are just turning him heel since nobody likes him. Beyond terrible promo

Gotta love how it appears to have taken them two monthly tapings to catch on to the fact that his face run is fundamentally broken and are using the heat to turn him heel.

Meanwhile....8 years of Cena being booed later, they're still forcing it.

strobogo

Banned

The newest member. Welcome aboard, brother.

My favorite thing about Hulk's NWO promo was that he clearly forgot the names of Hall, Nash, and The Outsiders, which led to him calling them "the monsters, the big men, these guys" the whole promo.

Also, holy fuck, I didn't realize how big Sir Charles was. A lot of tacos in that man.

Meltzer's write-up of Kobashi's career was awesome, really puts into perspective how fucking AWESOME Baba's booking was at the time, the way he completely understood his audience and the patience to keep a guy as talented as Kobashi on such a slow boil. It's crazy to think how different the world of Japanese pro wrestling would be had Baba lived for even a few more years.

Here's the total career stats for Kobashi - I doubt we'll see anyone this prolific again;

KENTA KOBASHI

Total Matches - 2383

CAREER TITLE HISTORY

ALL JAPAN TRIPLE CROWN HEAVYWEIGHT: def. Akira Taue July 24, 1996 Tokyo; lost to Mitsuharu Misawa January 20, 1997 Osaka; def. Toshiaki Kawada July 12, 1998 Tokyo; lost to Mitsuharu Misawa October 31, 1998 Tokyo; def. Vader February 27, 2000 Tokyo; Title vacated when Kobashi leaves promotion

GHC HEAVYWEIGHT: def. Mitsuharu Misawa March 1, 2003 Tokyo; lost to Takeshi Rikio March 5, 2005 Tokyo

ALL JAPAN WORLD & INTERNATIONAL TAG TEAM: w/Mitsuharu Misawa def. Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue to win vacant titles in World’s Strongest Tag League tournament final December 3, 1993 Tokyo; Vacated’ titles November 1994 prior to World’s Strongest Tag League tournament; w/Mitsuharu Misawa def. Steve William & Johnny Ace to win vacant titles in World’s Strongest Tag League tournament final December 10, 1994; lost to Akira Taue & Toshiaki Kawada June 9, 1995 Tokyo; w/Johnny Ace def. Akira Taue & Toshiaki Kawada May 27, 1997 Sapporo; lost to Steve Williams & Gary Albright July 25, 1997 Tokyo; w/Johnny Ace def. Steve Williams & Gary Albright October 4, 1997 Nagoya; lot to Akira Taue & Toshiaki Kawada January 25, 1998 Yokohama; w/Jun Akiyama def. Akira Taue & Toshiaki Kawada January 7, 1999 Hidaka; lost to Johnny Ace & Bart Gunn June 9, 1999 Sendai; w/Jun Akiyama def. Mitsuharu Misawa & Yoshinari Ogawa October 23, 1999 Nagoya; lost to Vader & Steve Williams February 20, 2000 Kobe

GHC TAG TEAM: w/Tamon Honda def. Jun Akiyama & Akitoshi Saito June 6, 2003 Tokyo; lost to Yuji Nagata & Hiroshi Tanahashi November 30, 2003 Sapporo; w/Tamon Honda def. Takeshi Morishima & Mohammed Yone June 4, 2006 Sapporo; Vacated when Kobashi was diagnosed with kidney cancer

ALL ASIA TAG TEAM: w/Tiger Mask (Mitsuharu Misawa) def. Doug Furnas & Dan Kroffat April 9, 1990 Okayama; Titles vacated when Misawa unmasked; w/Johnny Ace def. Bobby Fulton & Tommy Rogers for vacant titles September 7, 1990 Fukui; Titles vacated when Ace was injured; w/Johnny Ace def. Doug Furnas & Dan Kroffat July 8, 1991 Osaka; lost to Billy Black & Joel Deaton July 18, 1991 Tokyo; w/Tsuyoshi Kikuchi def. Dan Kroffat & Doug Furnas May 25, 1992 Sendai; lost to The Eagle (James Hines) & The Patriot (Del Wilkes) June 2, 1993 Koyama

GHC HARDCORE TITLE: def. Makoto Hashi June 8, 2009 Hachioje; Title retired June 2010 when he vacated it due to injuries

WORLD’S STRONGEST TAG LEAGUE TOURNAMENT

1990 - w/Johnny Ace (tied for 7th place)

1991 - w/Tsuyoshi Kikuchi (tied for 11th place)

1992 - w/Giant Baba (4th place)

1993 - w/Mitsuharu Misawa (1st place)

1994 - w/Mitsuharu Misawa (1st place)

1995 - w/Mitsuharu Misawa (1st place)

1996 - w/The Patriot (tied for 3rd place)

1997 - w/Johnny Ace (tied for 3rd place)

1998 - w/Jun Akiyama (1st place)

1999 - w/Jun Akiyama (1st place)

CHAMPION CARNIVAL TOURNAMENT

1991 - 4th place, A block

1992 - 5th place, B block

1993 - 7th place overall

1994 - 4th place overall

1995 - 5th place overall

1996 - tied for 3rd place overall

1997 - 2nd place

1998 - tied for 3rd place overall

1999 - 2nd place

2000 - 1st place

WRESTLING OBSERVER NEWSLETTER AWARDS

Wrestler of the Year - 1996, 2003, 2004, 2005

Most Outstanding Wrestler - 1993, 1994

Best Box Office Draw - 2005

Tag Team of the Year - 1995 (w/Mitsuharu Misawa); 1999 (w/Jun Akiyama)

1992 Match of the Year - w/Tsuyoshi Kikuchi vs. Doug Furnas & Dan Kroffat

1998 Match of the Year - vs. Mitsuharu Misawa

1999 Match of the Year - vs. Mitsuharu Misawa

2003 Match of the Year - vs. Mitsuharu Misawa

2004 Match of the Year - vs. Jun Akiyama

2005 Match of the Year - vs. Samoa Joe

Most Improved Wrestler - 1990

Best Wrestling Maneuver - 1998 Burning Hammer

Hall of Fame - 2002 (voted in by 98% of voters, the highest total of all-time)

TOKYO SPORTS AWARDS

Most Valuable Player - 1996, 1998

1989 - Rookie of the Year

Tag team of the Year - 1993 (w/Mitsuharu Misawa); 1994 (w/Mitsuharu Misawa); 1999 (w/ Jun Akiyama)

1995 Match of the Year - w/Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Akira Taue & Toshiaki Kawada

1997 Match of the Year - vs. Mitsuharu Misawa

1998 Match of the Year - vs. Mitsuharu Misawa

2003 Match of the Year - vs. Mitsuharu Misawa

2004 Match of the Year - vs. Jun Akiyama

2005 Match of the Year - vs. Kensuke Sasaki

2007 Match of the Year - w/Yoshihiro Takayama vs. Mitsuharu Misawa & Jun Akiyama

2011 Match of the Year - w/Keiji Muto vs. Takashi Iizuka & Toru Yano

Comeback of the Year - 2007

KO-BA-SHI!!

ibeTlmpMucm2wz.gif

iblozAclSwXB4G.jpg

iYplPz1YWugUM.jpg

iTGwA0WioYGTD.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Kobashi is truly great. Here's hoping he gets the rest he needs, and deserves.

Gotta love how it appears to have taken them two monthly tapings to catch on to the fact that his face run is fundamentally broken and are using the heat to turn him heel.

Meanwhile....8 years of Cena being booed later, they're still forcing it.

Yep and they are making him a John Cena fan to do it as well.

Also I hope they bring back Fandango dancer #1

Summer Rae is a decent heel and is competent in the ring she should be in the actual divas division rather than being just an ok background dancer

LOL
XuHllCt.gif

Its like when Emma tries to get into the ring except not intentional
emma_entrance_10ylr8s.gif

BadAss2961

I really wish TNA would step up their presentation and try to make themselves look more serious.

They're so second-rate, but i'd still rather follow it than WWE.

Ithil

I really wish TNA would step up their presentation and try to make themselves look more serious.

They've spent so long trying to be WWE Lite. They need to do their own thing. Given their resources, a full roster, a great TV deal, multiple PPVs, imagine what Chikara or PWG would do with that kind of deal?

They're very slowly getting there, though. Slowly.

I hate the way the audio sounds on that show. The way the entrance music echoes, the way the ring sounds when people hit the mat. So amateur...

Oh and the lighting looks like its filmed inside a factory

strobogo

Banned
They've spent so long trying to be WWE Lite. They need to do their own thing. Given their resources, a full roster, a great TV deal, multiple PPVs, imagine what Chikara or PWG would do with that kind of deal?

They're very slowly getting there, though. Slowly.

As slowly as the get there, they always take 10 steps back as soon as it seems like they're on track. Since the beginning.

Ithil

As slowly as the get there, they always take 10 steps back as soon as it seems like they're on track. Since the beginning.

Well I can't think of the last massive step backwards they took. Actually, wait, I can, that was dumping Austin Aries as champ for Jeff Hardy. But that was 7 months ago. It's an new record!

Top Bottom