• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Dontaku about Legit Shook

Meltzer's write-up of Kobashi's career was awesome, really puts into perspective how fucking AWESOME Baba's booking was at the time, the way he completely understood his audience and the patience to keep a guy as talented as Kobashi on such a slow boil. It's crazy to think how different the world of Japanese pro wrestling would be had Baba lived for even a few more years.

Here's the total career stats for Kobashi - I doubt we'll see anyone this prolific again;

KO-BA-SHI!!

ibeTlmpMucm2wz.gif

iblozAclSwXB4G.jpg

iYplPz1YWugUM.jpg

iTGwA0WioYGTD.jpg

deserves to be reposted

Kaladin

BOOOOOOOOO

While Big Japan Wrestling announced that Sami Callihan would be missing their next tour because he signed with WWE, that is not actually correct.

Sources in CZW indicate that Callihan pulled off the tour because he has a family member that is dealing with a severe health issue and Callihan did not want to be out of the country for 7-10 days while it is ongoing.

WWE has had interest in Callihan for some time but him pulling out of the tour has nothing to do with WWE.

Toki767

They're turning Bo heel on NXT? I guess the crowd cheering on Barrett beating up Bo a couple weeks ago really sent a message.

Meltzer's write-up of Kobashi's career was awesome, really puts into perspective how fucking AWESOME Baba's booking was at the time, the way he completely understood his audience and the patience to keep a guy as talented as Kobashi on such a slow boil. It's crazy to think how different the world of Japanese pro wrestling would be had Baba lived for even a few more years.

Yep. Like I said in a previous post, Kobashi's career was really the first career of a big-time Japanese star that I got to follow from start to finish, because he started getting on TV just a few months after I started getting my monthly tapes from Japan.

The booking was simply perfect, the way they brought him along. The "slow boil" as you accurately describe was perfectly executed, as the fans (me included at the time) always wanted to see more of him, then we quickly (desperately) wanted to see him win, then when he finally did that, we wanted to see him go farther and get more opportunities...and after going through all that with "our" guy, we really wanted to see him win the big one--the whole experience such a stark contrast to the WWE with guys like Cena and now Sheamus who leave large numbers of fans feeling like "wow, they are really shoving this down our throats."

Really, it all comes down to an old philosophy that Baba really understood: the face is always better in the chase.

The longer you can keep a guy in the position where he looks like he's chasing that dream, the more if a face he'll be. And he understood that it's much harder to elevate a face further after he's gotten the gold than it is to build him up while he's still chasing.

Baba knew this, and for Kobashi, he did it just about as well as it can be done IMO. Certainly the best I've ever seen.

And Kobashi himself was really quite the total package for them to sell. Most guys could never have done such an excruciating program, with all the losses, but Kobashi was not just anybody.

Good looking, in great shape, strong, tough, instantly-likeable, yet with this edge about him where he seemed like he could take care of himself if the shit hit the fan, Kobashi never came off weak, even in loss after loss, the heels better watch out how far they push him. It was a bit like you could see the spirit of that "mean old man" style that you see in guys like Jumbo or Baba or Tenryu, deep down inside, and you couldn't wait to see it fully unleashed, because you knew that if it ever did, and all that fighting spirit poured out, he'd FINALLY win one for sure.

Don't mind me, just ranting about PWG...

My ASW9 DVDs finally arrived and this time they got flagged by UK customs (fuck you, customs & excise! Cunts).

With the customs charge & shipping, I paid a total of £41.60/$63.42 for my order and had to wait 15 days for the DVDs to arrive (12 days from the US, 3 days stuck in customs). Meanwhile, multiple rips of ASW9 appeared on every wrestling torrent/filesharing site 3 days after PWG shipped the DVDs on May 2nd.

I know PWG have zero control over what packages the shitty UK customs flag for additional charges (although, marking the package as 'gift' rather than 'optical media' would be a great help), but this and the rampant piracy of PWG shows only further illustrates why it's so fucking ABSURD that .mp4 downloads or even video on demand versions of PWG shows aren't available until months and months after the DVDs have released.

Releasing .mp4 downloads on the same day as the DVDs are released couldn't possibly increase the rate of piracy higher than it already is and those fuckers that download the pirated rips aren't the ones buying shows anyway. Might as well just release .mp4 downloads in a timely fashion and cash in on international customers wanting to avoid shipping & potential customs charges, as well as the goodwill of those who favour digital media over physical releases.

In closing, I'd just like to add that SMV offer DRM-free .mp4 downloads of pretty much every new show they carry and I know for a FACT that I wouldn't have purchased quite so many shows from companies like AIW, AAW, CHIKARA, Wresting Is, BattleWar, wXw, ACW & C*4 if it wasn't for the fact that I could download them as .mp4's on the day of release.

Really, it all comes down to an old philosophy that Baba really understood: the face is always better in the chase.

The longer you can keep a guy in the position where he looks like he's chasing that dream, the more if a face he'll be. And he understood that it's much harder to elevate a face further after he's gotten the gold than it is to build him up while he's still chasing.

Exactly this, which is the main reason why WWE is so lacklustre these days - the heels are all a bunch of chumps, nothing to be feared, guys who just can't get the job done and, if they do, are certain to fall in the face of the first conquering hero to take them on. There is no chase for the face any more and, if there is, it's lasting no more than a month or so between PPVs.

Pristine_Condition said:
Baba knew this, and for Kobashi, he did it just about as well as it can be done IMO. Certainly the best I've ever seen.

Definitely, no one got quite as good of a build as Kobashi - Misawa was always destined for greatness and I loved the way Baba cemented his stardom by letting Misawa beat him, then booking him to go over Jumbo and, later, Hansen, but Kobashi's star was built from the ground up, slowly and surely. I'm envious that you got to see it from the near beginning.

Jamie OD

Don't mind me, just ranting about PWG...

My ASW9 DVDs finally arrived and this time they got flagged by UK customs (fuck you, customs & excise! Cunts).

With the customs charge & shipping, I paid a total of £41.60/$63.42 for my order and had to wait 15 days for the DVDs to arrive (12 days from the US, 3 days stuck in customs). Meanwhile, multiple rips of ASW9 appeared on every wrestling torrent/filesharing site 3 days after PWG shipped the DVDs on May 2nd.

I know PWG have zero control over what packages the shitty UK customs flag for additional charges (although, marking the package as 'gift' rather than 'optical media' would be a great help), but this and the rampant piracy of PWG shows only further illustrates why it's so fucking ABSURD that .mp4 downloads or even video on demand versions of PWG shows aren't available until months and months after the DVDs have released.

Releasing .mp4 downloads on the same day as the DVDs are released couldn't possibly increase the rate of piracy higher than it already is and those fuckers that download the pirated rips aren't the ones buying shows anyway. Might as well just release .mp4 downloads in a timely fashion and cash in on international customers wanting to avoid shipping & potential customs charges, as well as the goodwill of those who favour digital media over physical releases.

In closing, I'd just like to add that SMV offer DRM-free .mp4 downloads of pretty much every new show they carry and I know for a FACT that I wouldn't have purchased quite so many shows from companies like AIW, AAW, CHIKARA, Wresting Is, BattleWar, wXw, ACW & C*4 if it wasn't for the fact that I could download them as .mp4's on the day of release.

Off topic but the bolded part reminds me of the time I ordered something off Chikara and the package they sent had "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" in giant letters written above my address. I think it was to trick the post office into thinking they were only sending a gift so they could avoid paying any extra tax.

Aiii

So not worth it
Everything I ever ordered from VGP.ca has been a "gift".

It's customary in alot of places you order, things qualified as gifts are much less likely to be opened by customs, because they're often wrapped and such.

Here's the line-up so far for the CHIKARA iPPV - Aniversario: Never Compromise, live worldwide via SMVOD.com;

iGILNV60tPigC.jpg

Scarlett Bordeaux previews the Aniversario: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UNfVMgzSC8

http://smvod.com/premium-video/chikara-june-2-2013-ippv-aniversario-never-compromise-philadelphia-pa - $14.99, June 2nd, 2013

CHIKARA Grand Championship:

inIS5pY9TgY0i.jpg

Sarcophagus Match:

iTh9TqQWfT9A7.jpg

Mandated by the Director of Fun!

iVaPmCkLRz2Oe.jpg

The Battle for Trios Supremacy!

iiYmD0JB3AJHY.jpg

Re-match for the Young Lion's Cup:

ilmF6wixi380p.jpg

Jamie OD said:
Off topic but the bolded part reminds me of the time I ordered something off Chikara and the package they sent had "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" in giant letters written above my address. I think it was to trick the post office into thinking they were only sending a gift so they could avoid paying any extra tax.

Haha, nice - I wish companies would agree to do that more often, but I think they're reluctant because if it's listed as a gift they can't claim insurance for it if the package is lost in postage.

Entropia

No One Remembers

strobogo

Banned
I had a dream where I was watching some show and Kanyon popped up OUTTA NOWHERE to do the Kanyon Cutter sign. The crowd was like 8,000, but in a Hammerstein kind of set up, and they all did the sign with him. I was so excited to make a gif of it, but then I woke up and realized Kanyon and my love for pro wrestling are dead.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I had a dream where I was watching some show and Kanyon popped up OUTTA NOWHERE to do the Kanyon Cutter sign. The crowd was like 8,000, but in a Hammerstein kind of set up, and they all did the sign with him. I was so excited to make a gif of it, but then I woke up and realized Kanyon and my love for pro wrestling are dead.

:(

might have been a late WCW flashback that manifested in your sleep.

It pains me to see you like this, strobogo. You need to get back on the straight and narrow, purge yourself of the vile WCW & ECW poison. I prescribe a healthy dose of 80's wrestling - All Japan, Mid-South, UWF, AWA, etc.

XenoRaven

The chase is why we cheer the heels and boo the faces. No way Ziggler gets that pop on post-WM RAW if he was winning. Some might say Dolph had one of the greatest long-term builds in WWE history, but we know that's not the case. Dolph will always be chasing, always floundering, and that payoff moment when we finally know he made it will never come.

So it is written, so it shall be. Quoth the raven, "Nevermore."

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It pains me to see you like this, strobogo. You need to get back on the straight and narrow, purge yourself of the vile WCW & ECW poison. I prescribe a healthy dose of 80's wrestling - All Japan, Mid-South, UWF, AWA, etc.

If we could get Strobogo a healthy dose of WCCW from 1983 I bet we could see a gleam in his eye again. The tease of a smile at the corner of his mouth.

strobogo

Banned
How in the fuck is 80s AWA going to bring my love of wrestling back? AWA was the most boring major territory ever. Want to see all of the future WWF stars and old men wrestle at half speed? Watch AWA.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How in the fuck is 80s AWA going to bring my love of wrestling back? AWA was the most boring major territory ever. Want to see all of the future WWF stars and old men wrestle at have speed? Watch AWA.

Damn stro you truly have bitten into the sour fish of wrestling.

Maybe uh, maybe...maybe it's just dead?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yknow what? I think FallingEdge is on to something.

DDT might just re-awaken Kind Strobogo.

strobogo

Banned
It's DEAD. No amount of buff, oily Japanese dudes beating on each other and making loud grunts in tiny bed rooms can bring it back. I should just make DepressionGaf my new home. Dr. Bagels is my new god.

Top Bottom