• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Dontaku about Legit Shook

Isn't every TNA theme song something with a guitar?

The few times I watched TNA I never knew who was coming out when their music hit. Commentators used to go fuckign nuts, and I was like "why the fuck are you going nuts," then they showed the stage and I still did not know why they were going nuts!

Actually, I lie, Jeff Jarrett was the only one I knew - as My World is the greatest theme of modern times.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
The few times I watched TNA I never knew who was coming out when their music hit. Commentators used to go fuckign nuts, and I was like "why the fuck are you going nuts," then they showed the stage and I still did not know why they were going nuts!

Actually, I lie, Jeff Jarrett was the only one I knew - as My World is the greatest theme of modern times.
Christian's TNA Theme & Madison Rayne's Killer Queen are both great theme songs, no idea if Rayne still uses that theme cause I don't watch TNA lol.

strobogo

Banned
Chavo and Devon's themes might be the most generic, non-descript wrestling themes of all time. I mean, WCW had some pretty generic shit for most of their guys, but those two have it bad.

Chikara was a blast tonight! The crowd was into every match they put out. The best match in my opinion was the 8-man tag with The Spectral Envoy and Green Ant vs. deviAnt and Colony X-Treme Force. I'm pretty sure my throat will be in pain for a while for yelling for three and a half hours straight.

Probably the biggest pops were for Eddie Kingston and Ultramantis Black.

Colony X-Treme Force got the biggest laughs. During their entrance,
Oribtal Adventure Ant came out with with a light-up astronaut helmet and the crowd loved it.

Also Tim Donst
took out Gavin Loudspeaker with some michinoku driver variant(I think) and he had to be stretchered out. I don't think I remember a stretcher every being used in Chikara from the years I've seen of it.

I was surprised how open every wrestler there was to the fans. I felt like I had to chance to talk to all of them if not only for a minute, and they were all super cool. I hope they come down to the Southeast more often, because I would go again in an instant.

HUGE NEWS!!!

k9NBxQU.png

Looks like JR BBQ Sauces are coming to UK

fApSQC3.jpg

YUM YUM YUM!!

strobogo

Banned
Spiderman Edge of Time is...what the fuck happened? Shattered Dimensions was quite enjoyable, with varied game play, fun story, and tons of extra nonsense and shout outs. Then this game comes, which actually isn't even a sequel to SD, cuts it down to two Spidies who have the same gameplay, and have a stupid story that isn't enjoyable at all.

SD was a love letter to Spiderman/Marvel mythology. Edge of Time was full of bullshit made just for the game and FUCK YOUR SPOILERS, Peter Parker is the big bad. Peter Parker 2099, who has been kept alive due to some injections, all so he could take over the space/time continuum so he can erase everything from Uncle Ben's death on. He wants to control fucking time just to fix something things that went bad in his personal life. Not the Holocaust or wars or anything. Just his uncle dying. And it really doesn't even make sense since the beginning starts with Peter dying, and then some time traveling bullshit keeps him alive. But keeping him alive just sets into motion EVIL Peter in the future, sooo...SM2099 probably should have just left him dead.

The gameplay, which you'd think would be exactly the same or more refined as SD, is messy, clunky, and actually more simplified than the previous game. Aren't sequels supposed to be bigger and better and not smaller and worse?

It really bummed me out.

Alucard

Banned
Was at Border Wars tonight. Had a blast. Got Nigel to sign a copy of his documentary, shook his hand, and even got a picture that I'll post eventually.

Opener was really hot, Sicilian Psychopath's return was wicked in person, Rhett Titus getting tied up and quitting to save Corino popped off well live (Corino is SO good), Elgin was a BEAST, Ishimori and Edwards had a gorgeous match, Richards and London put together a technical display worth remembering, and despite a slightly dead crowd, the main event was quite good. Not many people were really into Cole, though...think the heel turn tease was a nice touch.

Easy 8 out of 10 live experience with at least 4 matches worth seeing. I'll definitely be getting the DVD.

strobogo

Banned
You should get it on the head of your dick so anytime a lady goes down there, she knows she's going to get hellfire and brimstone.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Spiderman Edge of Time is...what the fuck happened? Shattered Dimensions was quite enjoyable, with varied game play, fun story, and tons of extra nonsense and shout outs. Then this game comes, which actually isn't even a sequel to SD, cuts it down to two Spidies who have the same gameplay, and have a stupid story that isn't enjoyable at all.

SD was a love letter to Spiderman/Marvel mythology. Edge of Time was full of bullshit made just for the game and FUCK YOUR SPOILERS, Peter Parker is the big bad. Peter Parker 2099, who has been kept alive due to some injections, all so he could take over the space/time continuum so he can erase everything from Uncle Ben's death on. He wants to control fucking time just to fix something things that went bad in his personal life. Not the Holocaust or wars or anything. Just his uncle dying. And it really doesn't even make sense since the beginning starts with Peter dying, and then some time traveling bullshit keeps him alive. But keeping him alive just sets into motion EVIL Peter in the future, sooo...SM2099 probably should have just left him dead.

The gameplay, which you'd think would be exactly the same or more refined as SD, is messy, clunky, and actually more simplified than the previous game. Aren't sequels supposed to be bigger and better and not smaller and worse?

It really bummed me out.

I do believe EOT was produced by a different dev

strobogo

Banned
It wasn't. That's the weirdest part. SD, EoT, and ASM were all by Beenox. SD and ASM are both pretty good and fun. EoT is not fun at all, clunky, and has an awful story.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
EoT totally changed the combat and it was terrible. It wasn't just like 'oh it's just a rehash.' It's like all the bad guys blocked everything and you had to do some specific move to knock anybody out and EVERYTHING was indoors.

Gave up on ROH in the end, the stream kept buffering for me. I'll watch the replay later today.

Honestly, I'm getting sick of all these iPPV problems. I won't be watching ROH live for the foreseeable future and, until they drastically improve the quality of their broadcasts, I'm not watching anything but SHINE via WWNLive.

Currently, only NJPW provide a quality, reliable iPPV product - also, I've yet to have issue with SMVOD, so I will definitely be ordering AIW & CHIKARA next month. Plus, I'll probably give RF a shot for the WSU/CZW double-shot next weekend.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
It wasn't. That's the weirdest part. SD, EoT, and ASM were all by Beenox. SD and ASM are both pretty good and fun. EoT is not fun at all, clunky, and has an awful story.

you're right

i was thinking about the ds version >_>

Alright, I watched Okada/Suzuki yesterday and can give my opinions on Wrestling Dontaku now.

Disappointing show by NJPW standards. I feel like it was a card filled with good matches (aside from the tag four-way anyway) but no great ones. So while the good matches were still better than anything anyone else is putting out, when put in a lineup with 2012's DOMINION, Wrestle Kingdom 7 and Invasion Attack, it couldn't live up to the incredibly high standards.

On another note, Prince Devitt's new entrance has succeeded Okada's as my favourite entrance in wrestling. I could watch it on loop for hours.

Personally, I thought Okada/Suzuki was awesome, just not as good as Tanahashi/Okada - Goto/Shibata was the only other match that came close, but it was more of a tease for a match at a later date, considering the finish. That match, whenever it occurs, should be flat-out amazing. I also think Tanahashi & Anderson deserve some praise for their match - it wasn't top billing and they obviously didn't have the time to go all out, but they got a lot done in quite a compact match without it ever feeling too spotty.

So far, I'd probably rank the iPPVs this year like this;

1. Wrestle Kingdom VII
2. Invasion Attack
3. The New Beginning
4. Wrestling Dontaku 2013
5. New Japan Cup FINAL

Still amazes me that I get to watch New Japan live 12 times a year. God, I love technology.

chunk3rvd

Spoiler from today's big Dragon Gate show:

5. Open the Brave Gate Title Match: Masato Yoshino (19:05 Top Rope Lightning Spiral) Dragon Kid
*DK fails in his 19th Defense, Yoshino becomes the 23rd Champion

Waiting on results from the main event now. Hoping that today is the day Tozawa can finally lift the Dream Gate title!

I'd agree with those rankings. I feel kinda weird saying that the show was disappointing when it was still a fantastic show, it's just that Wrestle Kingdom 7, Invasion Attack and King of Pro Wrestling 2012 (not Dominion, I mixed them up) were some of the best wrestling shows I've ever seen, so the standards are enormous.

Oh and I'm pretty sure we'll get more than just 12 shows this year, we're already at five.

Spoiler from today's big Dragon Gate show:

5. Open the Brave Gate Title Match: Masato Yoshino (19:05 Top Rope Lightning Spiral) Dragon Kid
*DK fails in his 19th Defense, Yoshino becomes the 23rd Champion

Waiting on results from the main event now. Hoping that today is the day Tozawa can finally lift the Dream Gate title!

Nice! Glad to see
Dragon Kid
finally drop the belt. I hope Tozawa can win the big one, too, as I kinda feel they missed a chance by not making good enough use of his initial momentum when returning from the US.

Oh and I'm pretty sure we'll get more than just 12 shows this year, we're already at five.

Maybe, although it looks like we'll be waiting a while for the next one - none of the Super Jr's shows are scheduled for an iPPV (domestic or international), so it looks like the next iPPV will be DOMINION on June 22nd. We got 12 iPPVs last year (although only the last 3 were available to international customers), 2 of which were from the G1 Climax Tournament.

Speaking of DOMINION, it looks like Tetsuya Naito's return match will be against Yujiro Takahashi, who defeated Naito in his last New Japan match back in October.

chunk3rvd

More results from the DG show:

6. Open the Twin Gate Title Match: YAMATO{W}, Shingo Takagi (23:38 Gallaria) BxB Hulk{L}, Uhaa Nation
*BxB Nation fail in their 2nd Defense, TakaYAMA become the 25th Champion Team

Makes me doubt Tozawa's chances as I don't see them doing 3 title changes in a row but fingers are still crossed!

How is Dragon Kid these days? I swear I remember hearing about him having bad knees like 10 years ago.

Yeah, he had a bad knee injury near the start of his career and has been out injured a bunch of times since, but not because of his knees. He probably wouldn't be taking anything like this if his knees were messed up;

ibfbwzH3ftPS2Y.gif

chunk3rvd

Main event results from DG Dead or Alive:

7. Open the Dream Gate Title Match: CIMA (30:28 Japanese Ocean Cyclone Suplex Hold) Akira Tozawa

CIMA celebrated surviving another DEAD or ALIVE. He said that his trip to Mexico rejuvenated him, making him feel 10 years younger. That was the difference between himself and Tozawa this time. He closed things out with the standard speech, saying he would take on anyone, whether they be a DG wrestler, a wrestler from elsewhere, a high school student watching at one of the movie theater live viewings, or a child in the venue now.

When is Tozawa going to get his chance? :( He's been tied with Shingo for MVP of both DG USA and Dragon Gate UK but over in Japan it seems he's always the bridesmaid and never the bride

Top Bottom