• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Dontaku about Legit Shook

gurudyne

Considering they didn't have the tech back then it's not a bad resemblance.

jakethesnakeroberts.jpg

Too be honest I wanted Ultimate Warrior, but he was always sold out. :(

Oh my God I had that one. The nostalgia. It is too strong.

You don't say. What the fuck, Davey. He doesn't even look like he tried to protect Paul's head.

No one does a double stomp to the head, he was trying to land on Paul's chest - you can see Paul bring his arms to the side of his chest in preparation. Probably just a case of Davey putting too much into the move, like with his crazy suicide dives that send him 3+ rows into the crowd.

*edit, also, I'll be glad when indy wrestling has got through it's fascination with spots on the ring apron. And superkicks.

Kaladin

Ring apron spots aren't bad for high impact moments that are meant to change the momentum of the match, it's when they're overused and loose their meaning that causes them to become pointless.

Kaladin

The sweat that was on Paul's face? Because he definitely didn't land on the chest first and slide up.

He kind of was on his upper chest or shoulder for a split second. It does look like his right foot slips. Combine that with putting too much behind the move, and you see what happened.

Preview clip of 'The Kevin Steen Show', featuring Michael Elgin;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKaEWZqefhw

Steen: "The Kevin Steen Show is not the classy affair I expected it to be", lol.

Ring apron spots aren't bad for high impact moments that are meant to change the momentum of the match, it's when they're overused and loose their meaning that causes them to become pointless.

Yeah, exactly this - it's the same with anything in wrestling. If you watch a show and every match has an indy stand-off, or a chop battle, or a bunch of superkicks, or a bunch of apron spots, it's just going to cheapen the impact of whatever you're trying to accomplish.

UberTag

766870229.jpg

Bray Wyatt's mask. Wonder if its part of his character or someone broke his nose during a house show.
Once these guys get pushed to the main roster I foresee an angle where they challenge D.Brine and make him put his beard on the line in a match resulting in the goat getting sheared.

WWE was among the partners listed today as taking part in launching a paid Youtube.com channel, according to a CNN report. The report listed the channels as being priced as low as $1.99 a month.

I'd easily pay that much if the content was good enough - WWE have so much archive material from so many promotions, it'd be damn near impossible not to make a subscription that cheap worthwhile.

Kaladin

Yeah, exactly this - it's the same with anything in wrestling. If you watch a show and every match has an indy stand-off, or a chop battle, or a bunch of superkicks, or a bunch of apron spots, it's just going to cheapen the impact of whatever you're trying to accomplish.

Why was ECW so successful then? We all know they could have matches with a bunch of table spots and ladder spots or whatever in one show. ECW was the king of overusing stuff like that but it never seemed to cheapen the impact of it.

Why was ECW so successful then? We all know they could have matches with a bunch of table spots and ladder spots or whatever in one show. ECW was the king of overusing stuff like that but it never seemed to cheapen the impact of it.

It definitely did after a while, but you have to think that, initially, it didn't cheapen things because that style was so unique at the time - no other US promotions were doing the sort of things they were doing and ECW revelled in that.

For me, I've never seen anything like that. So watching ECW gave me that wow factor. Plus, it was hard to watch anything that isn't WWF/WCW. These days, there is so much out there so it is easier to watch. I still mark for a good apron spot but will admit that it is overdone.

Kaladin

It definitely did after a while, but you have to think that, initially, it didn't cheapen things because that style was so unique at the time - no other US promotions were doing the sort of things they were doing and ECW revelled in that.

I guess. Kinda speaks to how every US indie promotion outside of Chikara (and Chikara to a point) is practically the same right now. Even CZW is a shell of it's former crazy self.

We need another no holds barred promotion like ECW was where anything can happen in any given match. Two guys can have a wrestling exhibition or you could have a hardcore battle, it all depends on the wrestlers in the ring and where they want to go.

MG310

So I guess AJ's figures are selling well, because she's getting a third one:

BJlx-0ZCIAMGemC.jpg

Still looks nothing like her though, didn't the figures used to resemble the wrestlers faces?

The third AJ was a last minute thing because they couldn't make a properly scaled Kaitlyn with the parts they had so she's been pushed back.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
According to dirt sheets, Taker has already requested Cena or Lesnar for WM 30.

Fucking Taker has already ruined Kane/Taker, which is what it should be for his likely last match.

Now, Kane's retirement match will come on SuperStars, and it'll be a loss after a quick rollup by Miz.

Fucking Taker has already ruined Kane/Taker, which is what it should be for his likely last match.

Now, Kane's retirement match will come on SuperStars, and it'll be a loss after a quick rollup Miz.

That would not be very awesome at all...

Sephzilla

Now, Kane's retirement match will come on SuperStars, and it'll be a loss after a quick rollup by Miz.

Sorry, I'm just going to assume you are a huge Kane fan due to your avatar, but Taker/Kane matches have never been exactly the best matches in the world. And Taker's career didn't start with Kane and doesn't need to end with Kane. (The same can't be said for the other way around though).

Time for Taker to make another old guy look good.

Fixed that for you.

Alucard

Banned

I saw this live from the fifth row. It looked brutal. Crowd chanted "You killed Paul!" followed by "Please don't die!" He looked out for a few seconds, then still attempted a shooting star press before taking Davey's knees HARD in the ribs and losing right afterwards.

Outside of this spot, it was a GREAT match. Second best after Ishimori/Edwards.

UberTag

Kane's retirement match should be against D.Brine.
After losing, D.Brine will bring out all of Kane's former tag team partners (Big Show, Undertaker, Mick Foley, Waltman, Helms and RVD) for one big group hug.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Sorry, I'm just going to assume you are a huge Kane fan due to your avatar, but Taker/Kane matches have never been exactly the best matches in the world. And Taker's career didn't start with Kane and doesn't need to end with Kane. (The same can't be said for the other way around though).
The end of Taker should be all about the Undertaker character and the mythology that surrounds it. That's why Kane would be perfect for it. He's just an extension of the Undertaker character. The entire match would encapsulate the history of the Undertaker.

And as far as the match quality goes, it's not like Cena/Taker would be much better. Besides, Kane/Taker at WM 14, and the first inferno match are two of the best matches in Taker's career. The rest of their matches have been bad mainly due to terrible booking (squash matches) or because Taker was badly injured (all their matches from 2010). I guarantee that if you give Kane time in the ring, and some freedom, he will deliver a great match with Taker at WM. When motivated, he can be great in the ring. My main issue with a Taker/Lesnar match is that the whole interest behind the match revolves around a supposed real life beef between Brock and Mark Calloway. It would have nothing to do with the Undertaker character.

Besides, that would mean that two years in a row Lesnar will have lost to HHH and Taker at WM. Lesnar is such a huge star that he should be used to put over younger talent, not old guys that barely wrestle anymore.

Sephzilla

I just don't think Taker/Lesnar is a good idea because I don't think it would result in a good match. Cena/Taker might not be the best match in the world either but the crowd will definitely be a shitload more into it than they would be for Taker/Lesnar, partially because the crowd would be at ready-to-riot status if they have Cena end the streak.

Which they will do. Because Taker WM matches end with Taker winning clean. Cena doesn't lose clean.

UberTag

Cena/Taker might not be the best match in the world either but the crowd will definitely be a shitload more into it than they would be for Taker/Lesnar, partially because the crowd would be at ready-to-riot status if they have Cena end the streak.

Which they will do. Because Taker WM matches end with Taker winning clean. Cena doesn't lose clean.
Obviously.
If Cena faces Taker, the streak is ending.
Taker will then do the Dwayne pose where Cena holds up his arm in victory and point to Cena like he's the man.

Cena will also kick out of 5 tombstones and no-sell the beating he just took after winning.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I just don't think Taker/Lesnar is a good idea because I don't think it would result in a good match. Cena/Taker might not be the best match in the world either but the crowd will definitely be a shitload more into it than they would be for Taker/Lesnar, partially because the crowd would be at ready-to-riot status if they have Cena end the streak.

You think they would have Cena end the streak? No way. I'm sick and tired of Cena matches just being about how much the crowd hates Cena. At this point, I don't want Cena near anything this great. The entire buildup would just be Cena smirking at some Taker video, or smirking at another Taker "My yard, last outlaw, your soul" promo. He would just smirk it all away.

Kane just makes sense for the buildup, the history, and yes, even the match (give them time for an actual match [not a squash like at WM XX], and let Taker be healthy, and you will get a good match).

Sephzilla

You think they would have Cena end the streak? No way. I'm sick and tired of Cena matches just being about how much the crowd hates Cena. At this point, I don't want Cena near anything this great. The entire buildup would just be Cena smirking at some Taker video, or smirking at another Taker "My yard, last outlaw, your soul" promo. He would just smirk it all away.

Kane just makes sense for the buildup, the history, and yes, even the match (give them time for an actual match [not a squash like at WM XX], and let Taker be healthy, and you will get a good match).

Cena/Taker for the Streak is also the last challenge for the Streak since he's the last person of significance who hasn't challenged it and since Sting isn't coming to WWE any time soon. He's also the last person left who's a legitimate threat to the streak partially because people are pretty aware of Cena's booking.

Taker/Kane makes sense, but here's the issue - Taker/Kane has been done to death and Kane isn't even a remote threat to the streak.

Cena would never beat Taker. Every single Cena match vs. Taker has had Taker dominating and Cena intimidated until someone interferes with Taker and a dusty finish. 5MODZ never even worked either.

or they could just...you know...remind people of the history that Kane and Undertaker have via promos and buildup

i know that's foreign to a lot of young bucks around here, but back when i was watching they had these things called "packages" that let you know how important a match was

Kaladin

May 6th: Title matches have been signed for Florida!!! We'll start off with the first ever EVOLVE Title defense. The first EVOLVE Champion AR Fox has made a request and we have accepted it. Nick Jackson of The Young Bucks pinned Fox at the two DGUSA events that followed the EVOLVE Title Tournament. Fox is embarrassed by this and wants to even the score. As a result, Nick Jackson has been granted the first ever title shot. It will be AR Fox vs. Nick Jackson for the EVOLVE Title on May 30th in Orlando! Can Nick Jackson become a double champion and lead The Young Bucks to ruling the EVOLVE/DGUSA scene?

May 6th: Matt Jackson of The Young Bucks will go one-on-one vs. Johnny Gargano in Orlando. Gargano's Open The Freedom Gate Title will not be on the line.

May 6th: Two huge title matches have been signed for the June 2nd event in Ybor City, close to Tampa. Open The Freedom Gate Champion Johnny Gargano will face the challenge of Samuray Del Sol. The luchador was awarded the title shot for his single match victories against EITA and Ryo Saito last January.

May 6th: The Young Bucks will defend the Open The United Gate Titles against EITA & Tomahawk T.T. on June 2nd in Ybor City. EITA & T.T. earned the title shot with their victory over The Super Smash Brothers at WrestleCon. This gives the Sunday night live iPPV from Ybor City two can't miss title matches!

May 6th: We will have the first matches for Jacksonville and more matches for both Orlando and Ybor City later this week right here in the WWNLive Alerts.

Really looking forward to Gargano vs Del Sol. These cards are looking stacked.

Although, I must say that Nick Jackson as the first opponent for AR Fox is kind of a cop out. We know the Bucks aren't going solo so it's kind of pointless.

I might go to one of these shows, just kinda depends on how this interview goes.

Also, is it just me or are there no title matches left for Jacksonville? There should be at least one title match left for that card.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Cena/Taker for the Streak is also the last challenge for the Streak since he's the last person of significance who hasn't challenged it and since Sting isn't coming to WWE any time soon. He's also the last person left who's a legitimate threat to the streak partially because people are pretty aware of Cena's booking.

Taker/Kane makes sense, but here's the issue - Taker/Kane has been done to death and Kane isn't even a remote threat to the streak.
No one is a remote threat to the streak. The man kicked out of a Sweet Chin Music into a Pedigree. The worst thing about Taker WM matches over the past five years or so is that they've all become about the streak, and if anyone can end it. The actual rivalry between Taker and his opponent has been lost in the process. Cena would lose, and smirk his way into it. It'll be for the WWE title, Taker will retire as Champ, and the next night on RAW, Cena would get it back. It's meaningless.

Kane would, of course, have to be rebuilt back into a threat, but all it would take to do that is just have another Kane snaps moment. Have him dominate for a few months, and bam, there you go. Yes, it's been done to death, but that's part of the charm. It's a long lasting rivalry, which is just what's needed.

The end of Taker should be all about the Undertaker character and the mythology that surrounds it. That's why Kane would be perfect for it. He's just an extension of the Undertaker character. The entire match would encapsulate the history of the Undertaker.

I fully agree with this - I legitimately think Punk was the only 'new' guy who the fans could've bought beating Taker and they don't have the time to build anyone else to that level. There would inevitably have been a ton of backlash, but I reckon Punk could've turned it to his favour where pretty much no one else could.

So, that being said, Kane would be my perfect pick to break the streak. I'm sure I've said it before, but it should be a buried alive match and it should close WM30. Kane buries Taker and does the Taker pose over the grave, lightning hits the tombstone, which cracks in half, and then Taker's hand stabs out of the earth and drags Kane down into the abyss before the grave sets on fire, we get a few shots of the shocked commentators & crowd and then fade to black. Kane & Taker aren't seen again until Glen & Mark are inducted into the Hall of Fame at WM31.

Top Bottom