• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Dontaku about Legit Shook

Aiii

So not worth it
You guys should check out the new Foley doc, it is amazing and over two hours long for the documentary alone.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You guys should check out the new Foley doc, it is amazing and over two hours long for the documentary alone.

Whaaaaat if you're a dude who can't stand Foley? Because I just don't like him. I briefly enjoyed him as Cactus in WCW, and the VERY beginning of Mankind (before he got goofy) - but by and large, I don't enjoy watching him wrestle or his characters.

My first introduction to Foley was the Mankind character, so when I saw the infamous IWA-Japan Kawasaki Death Match tournament a year or so later, it pretty much blew my mind;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27sScwFQRcE

I find with Foley that there's a hell of a lot of 'moments' I can point to that are highly memorable, but not all that many matches that I can consider truly great. He's still one of my favourite dudes from that era of wrestling, though.

jred2k

Why did Foley ever start wearing the button-up shirt and tie. I'm going to guess he probably didn't want to pay to repair his other outfit if it ripped so he wore the cheapest shit possible.

strobogo

Banned
He changed because Vince convinced him he was part of the corporation and had to clean up. I think it was shortly after EVIL Dude Love that he went back to Mankind, but was now wearing a dress shirt and tie.

But there have been at least 2 WWE and a TNA Foley docs, 3 detailed autobiographies, and all of his major matches have been on multiple DVD sets. I can't imagine why anyone thought there needed to be another one. What matches are on it that haven't been on multiple other sets?

Ithil

He started wearing it around summer 1998, when he started to be associated with the beginnings of the Corporation.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Whaaaaat if you're a dude who can't stand Foley? Because I just don't like him. I briefly enjoyed him as Cactus in WCW, and the VERY beginning of Mankind (before he got goofy) - but by and large, I don't enjoy watching him wrestle or his characters.

I'm not actually a fan of Mick Foley when it comes to any of his characters, but I still found it to be an enjoyable watch about the actual person, others who know him, and the thoughts that went into creating his characters or behaviour in the ring.

I wouldn't say buy it, but it's a decent enough watch as a rental or borrowing from a friend to hear how people reacted toward his behaviour and decisions involving the death matches, but also the comedy or writing a book or being frugal. You also get a bit of insight as to why he didn't stay on commentary very long.

Edit: I should say I didn't watch a single match on it.

Aiii

So not worth it
So, thought these were pretty cool:

imagevdhl.jpg

imagejdht.jpg

imagekzk.jpg

imageosv.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That's it Sunny Boy, me and you are going to throw down....right here in May Wrasslin'! *thumbs up*

Yeah I don't get Sunflower either Fex.

I see you're wanting to feud with me in GWF 2.0

IT'LL NEVER HAPPEN, I'd rather deprive you of my essence! I'm still butthurt about never being able to see your lovingly-crafted custom finisher in GWF.

It was sweet. You went on the top rope, flapped your wings like 4 times, then did this physics-defying splash.

I see you're wanting to feud with me in GWF 2.0

IT'LL NEVER HAPPEN, I'd rather deprive you of my essence! I'm still butthurt about never being able to see your lovingly-crafted custom finisher in GWF.

It was sweet. You went on the top rope, flapped your wings like 4 times, then did this physics-defying splash.
Aww man, my high flying antics were grounded for safety reasons because it's too intense for WWE (game) style.
Yep, nothing to do with me losing every match all the time.

DustinC

That SHIELD poster isn't bad. But that Sheamus one looks like a generic WWE movie poster without a movie to go along with it. And his pointing finger looks all sorts of fucked up if you stare at it too long.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hypothetical question time:

Oh no! John Cena has perished in a car accident, and you're Vince McMahon!

"GODDAMMIT I need a big up and comer to work an impossible schedule and be a wholesome face for kids! Who am I going to choose goddammit?"

Whose shoulders do you put the WWE on to fill Cena's shoes with regards to being needed for EVERY SINGLE APPEARANCE as well as SHITLOADS of extracurricular activity like Make-A-Wish?

WHO? And why?

Aiii

So not worth it

"GODDAMMIT I need a big up and comer to work an impossible schedule and be a wholesome face for kids! Who am I going to choose goddammit?"

Whose shoulders do you put the WWE on to fill Cena's shoes with regards to being needed for EVERY SINGLE APPEARANCE as well as SHITLOADS of extracurricular activity like Make-A-Wish?

WHO? And why?

My new superface team of AJ, Ziggler and Big E, because who won't like them after seeing them interact like they do backstage.

Giard

The WWE's CM Punk documentary 'Best in the World' is worth picking up. It features a bunch of Punk's best WWE matches and the documentary's pretty great, too.

Outside of WWE, if you're at all interested in seeing where the likes of CM Punk, Daniel Bryan & Seth Rollins got their major break in wrestling, I'd recommend checking out some of the excellent compilation sets from Ring of Honor;

Daniel Bryan/Bryan Danielson: The American Dragon - http://www.rohwrestling.com/product/bryan-danielson-american-dragon-2-disc-set

CM Punk: The Summer of Punk - http://www.rohwrestling.com/product/summer-punk-2-disc-set

Seth Rollins/Tyler Black: God's Last Gift - http://www.rohwrestling.com/product/tyler-black-gods-last-gift-2-disc-set

Also, I'll add a few links for some recent non-WWE shows well worth checking out;

ROH - 05/04/13 - Supercard of Honor VII
AAW - 04/12/13 - Point of No Return
CHIKARA - 04/06/13 - The Shoulder of Pallas
AIW - 03/29/13 - Gauntlet for the Gold 8
PWG - 03/22-23/13 - All Star Weekend: Night One & Night Two

Finally, Highspots & SmartMarkVideo both offer cheap MP4 downloads of new and classic shows, if you don't mind not having a physical copy;

http://www.smartmarkvideo.com/digital & http://www.highspots.com/c/Video-Downloads.html

Plus, http://new.ivpvideos2.com & http://rudoreels.com are both great sites to get VERY cheap Japanese & Mexican wrestling on DVD or as .iso downloads.

*edit, almost forgot - here's some channels worth following for free Japanese wrestling;

http://www.dailymotion.com/SenorLARIATO
http://www.dailymotion.com/user/Jahmale_Hepburn
http://www.youtube.com/user/KingsRoadJapan
http://www.youtube.com/user/ProWrestlingAARK
http://www.youtube.com/user/BiggestJapan
http://www.youtube.com/user/PuroresuMatches
http://www.youtube.com/user/Emproer
Wow, thanks. I prefer having physical copies, and those DVDs are a little too expensive for me, but I'll definitely get a couple of them when they get a price drop. I'll check out the Youtube channels as well.

WHO? And why?

I begin a yearlong tribute to the memory of John Cena. Rename the show Monday Night Cena. All the while, training one of his brothers to take his spot and pushing him to the moon.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I swear we've done this hypothetical before, but I'd split it between The Ryback and The Dazzler

In general we have, but I don't know about factoring in all the work Cena does outside of WWE events.

People be sayin D. Brine - you think he can hold up? He's not a bad pick...

XenoRaven

WHO? And why?
I choose Mark Henry except I wouldn't turn him face.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
They avoid but generico in a mask and have him the the cena.

Crazy luchadore would be super over with the kids

ain't nobody got time for that though! You can't just miracle him to the top with no fanfare.

Striker

I was first introduced to Foley in his Mankind stint. Even after seeing his Cactus Jack days and later on with Dude Love and babyface Mankind, I still loved his deranged schizophrenic character the most. He could pretty much do it all and really well at that time, speaking, working, making shit seem real. He's probably one of the best workers who isn't necessarily the main guy, but works wonderfully with those he's paired with. I'd say he gave Triple H his best matches as well.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I was first introduced to Foley in his Mankind stint. Even after seeing his Cactus Jack days and later on with Dude Love and babyface Mankind, I still loved his deranged schizophrenic character the most. He could pretty much do it all and really well at that time, speaking, working, making shit seem real. He's probably one of the best workers who isn't necessarily the main guy, but works wonderfully with those he's paired with. I'd say he gave Triple H his best matches as well.
Yeah, with all the talk about Taker and Kane, the original Mankind character scared me the most as a kid.

somedevil

Some News:

Word came out this week that WWE officials want to do Kane and The Undertaker vs. The Shield at SummerSlam. The match would largely depend on whether or not Taker wants to wrestle that soon. No word yet if Daniel Bryan would be included in the match,

We noted last week how the Antonio Cesaro vs. Kofi Kingston match from Main Event was praised by several WWE talents on Twitter. The match also received praise among WWE officials but the success of the match was credited to Cesaro.

The feeling was that Cesaro made the match excellent and that's why he was booked to face Randy Orton on this week's Main Event.

Also, Impact is going back to 9-11pm starting May 30.

WHO? And why?

In an uncharacteristic move for Vince McMahon, I'd decide that pushing any one star to the level of John Cena would be harmful in the long term and would instead focus on elevating a number of stars to that same level. I'd also demand that some sort of basic sports-based logic would return to the booking of the promotion as a whole and insist that credible divisions be built around each of the belts to bring back a sense of importance and competition to every WWE title.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
In an uncharacteristic move for Vince McMahon, I'd decide that pushing any one star to the level of John Cena would be harmful in the long term and would instead focus on elevating a number of stars to that same level. I'd also demand that some sort of basic sports-based logic would return to the booking of the promotion as a whole and insist that credible divisions be built around each of the belts to bring back a sense of importance and competition to every WWE title.

WWE has always focused on one person to keep the business rolling. How many other promotions have had luck with a spread-out roster with no clear leader?

I would love for them to just have someone random come in and beat Cena. Like Generico or Hero. Put it on Raw, say someone won a tourney and bam, got a chance to prove himself against the champ. Cena gets too cocky and loses the belt.

NEW STAR.

His name, Bo Dallas.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I would love for them to just have someone random come in and beat Cena. Like Generico or Hero. Put it on Raw, say someone won a tourney and bam, got a chance to prove himself against the champ. Cena gets too cocky and loses the belt.

NEW STAR.

His name, Bo Dallas.

I really wish we could have a vacant title and start 4-5 good stories with a tournament. Like they do in glorious nippon.

Striker

Yeah, with all the talk about Taker and Kane, the original Mankind character scared me the most as a kid.
Early Undertaker was pretty fantastic as well, although his ring stuff was fairly boring. Later in '96 when he was wrestling guys like Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels he was garnering a bit more attention, at least moreso than his stuff where he was fed big monsters like Vader, Sid, Diesel, Giant Gonzalez, King Kong Bundy, Kamala, etc.

Taker, Kane vs. Shield (2v2?) would be okay, but can they give a stipulation for something? It was discussed on the previous page, but the injustice stuff has kind of run its course. Titles might help a little, but unless they add somebody or split, it's not going to get any higher for them.

Aiii

So not worth it

I remember Santino's debut. That was good.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
The thing about Mankind that scared me was that he was so damn possible in real life. He didn't have powers, he wasn't some cartoon character. He was an insane man. Anyone walking down the street could be just as disturbed as him.

WWE has always focused on one person to keep the business rolling. How many other promotions have had luck with a spread-out roster with no clear leader?

Just because something's always been done one way doesn't mean it shouldn't be tried another.

Both New Japan & All Japan had huge success in the 90's with three guys as the focus of the promotions - Misawa, Kobashi & Kawada in All Japan, and the Three Musketeers of New Japan, Mutoh, Chono & Hashimoto. Each got their turn(s) as the top guy as their individual popularity grew (well, maybe Kawada got a bit short changed), yet all were still kept fairly equal in the long run.

The one thing that bugs me most about WWE is how they shuffle people out of the main event - Orton's a perfect example. His popularity has waned in recent years and because of his wellness violations he isn't about to be back on top any time soon, yet they're doing pretty much nothing with him. He's still well protected, but it serves little purpose. Have him DO something. Have him form a tag team and go after the belts. Have him feud with Wade for the IC title, rather than continually acting like that the mid-card belts are beneath main eventers, even when (like Randy) they aren't doing a damn thing!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just because something's always been done one way doesn't mean it shouldn't be tried another.

Both New Japan & All Japan had huge success in the 90's with three guys as the focus of the promotions - Misawa, Kobashi & Kawada in All Japan, and the Three Musketeers of New Japan, Mutoh, Chono & Hashimoto. Each got their turn(s) as the top guy as their individual popularity grew (well, maybe Kawada got a bit short changed), yet all were still kept fairly equal in the long run.

The one thing that bugs me most about WWE is how they shuffle people out of the main event - Orton's a perfect example. His popularity has waned in recent years and because of his wellness violations he isn't about to be back on top any time soon, yet they're doing pretty much nothing with him. He's still well protected, but it serves little purpose. Have him DO something. Have him form a tag team and go after the belts. Have him feud with Wade for the IC title, rather than continually acting like that the mid-card belts are beneath main eventers, even when (like Randy) they aren't doing a damn thing!

Yknow all this did was make me think of how great Evolution was in making Randy and Batista main event stars. Sigh...and I missed all that when it first happened!

Breaking news everyone, Jay Briscoe is being homophobic on twitter again.

The Delaware Senate passed a bill yesterday that allows same sex couples to get married. If that makes you happy, then congratulations!!!!

He then follows that up with

...try and teach my kids that there's nothing wrong with that and I'll fucking shoot you

Im assuming he wont be champion for much longer.

Aiii

So not worth it
He shouldn't be. Who would want someone like that representing your company?

But yeah, lets assume it's "in-character"

Top Bottom