• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| May I Fancy You To A Nice Arse Whipping?

RBH

People still buy show DVDs/Blurays? I wonder what those numbers are, that's crazy.

Also consider the fact that there are people out there who still buy WWE PPV's for the full price instead of subscribing to the WWE Network. That's part of the reason why the WWE pushes those pre-paid WWE Network gift cards from WalMart in multiple advertisements.

I wonder if Nakamura being a big success would make WWE go after more NJPW guys.

Like could we see WWE going after a guy like Naito in a few years if Nakamura becomes a big star for them?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
tumblr_ofqw850Fuy1qivspno2_r2_400.gif

Anth0ny

I pity-subbed. I think. Strong Style Gaming, yes?

https://www.youtube.com/ssgnetwork

:)

WrestleMania 33 DVD/Blu-Ray will not contain the pre-show matches:

http://www.wrestlingdvdnetwork.com/will-wwe-include-kickoff-show-on-wrestlemania-33-dvd/134909/

This ultimately doesn't mean as much now that the Network exists, but it still seems like an odd omission regardless.

I wonder how their DVDs sell these days, especially for content already on the Network.

Slizz

Not gonna lie, in shirt sales Nak is probably cracking top 10/15 right now without doing anything nationally on SD

Menome

Nakamura is a big success?

He's been the most over guy on NXT for a year and that's somewhat transferred over to crowd reactions on the main roster.

Financially in terms of merch and ticket sales, still have to wait and see, but it's not like he's started off dead in the water.

I wonder how their DVDs sell these days, especially for content already on the Network.

Still decent sales with good content (off the top of my head I remember the NXT DVD has that match with Punk and Seth teaming against Cesaro and Hero)

DVD and Blu Ray are by no means anywhere near in danger of dying

Not everyone is willing to uproot Thier life.

Naito is more of an vague example than a specific one. I just mean the top guys there in general. Like for so long, WWE never even thought about Japan really, but now with Nakamura and Asuka and Hojo and possibly Shirai, it's obvious that Triple H is thinking about it. But if Nakamura was to get really over and become one of the top three or four guys in the company, that would probably make Vince start thinking about it more as well.

And I think faced with a dramatically increased payday and level of exposure, a lot more guys would uproot than you'd think.

Heroman

Banned
He's been the most over guy on NXT for a year and that's somewhat transferred over to crowd reactions on the main roster.

Financially in terms of merch and ticket sales, still have to wait and see, but it's not like he's started off dead in the water.
He feuding with Ziggy , I don't know if I call that a great start.

Slizz

Me either. However.................

The amount of NJPW/Bullet Club tee's(know hes not BC but still they know him if they have that shirt) I see in WWE crowds and NXT being as popular as it is. I think he's good with this lame Dolph start.

Menome

If he puts on a good match when he beats Ziggler, that's going to be a good boost.

The risk comes from him either phoning it in because Ziggler is low-tier fodder, or Ziggler managing to drag the match quality down, which is a distinct possibility.

So just so we're clear, you don't like when someone comes in and immediately loses a feud, but you also don't like when someone comes in and immediately has a feud with someone whose ass he's going to completely kick and defeat

So how was Nakamura in WWE ever going to work out in your opinion? I accept "him not ending up in WWE", it's what I'd have preferred too, but we ain't in that world.

Heroman

Banned
So just so we're clear, you don't like when someone comes in and immediately loses a feud, but you also don't like when someone comes in and immediately has a feud with someone whose ass he's going to completely kick and defeat

So how was Nakamura in WWE ever going to work out in your opinion? I accept "him not ending up in WWE", it's what I'd have preferred too, but we ain't in that world.

Beating Ziggy does nothing he is a guy with no heat, the only we get are terrible promos and segment. Like many shitty Ziggy fueds where no one gets over done have to see before he stop feuding.

And for your question, to be realistic I thought he was going to be there in wwe infinite Midcard for a few years and then return to NJPW.

Foggy

They might be interested in raiding more of njpw but none of the Japanese guys would approach the kind of immediate success that Nak has. The appeal of Naito wouldn't translate to your typical WWE crowd.

For my interests, Nak was a bitter failure but for him and the crowd at large he's gotten over. That's a success even if it is temporary. He's only just begun being put through the WWE creative and booking ringer.

They might be interested in raiding more of njpw but none of the Japanese guys would approach the kind of immediate success that Nak has. The appeal of Naito wouldn't translate to your typical WWE crowd.

For my interests, Nak was a bitter failure but for him and the crowd at large he's gotten over. That's a success even if it is temporary. He's only just begun being put through the WWE creative and booking ringer.

Naito is actually basically the only one of the NJPW group that I could see having success in WWE, dude has physical charisma out the wazoo

Foggy

Naito is actually basically the only one of the NJPW group that I could see having success in WWE, dude has physical charisma out the wazoo

WWE doesn't do subdued charisma particularly well, whereas the bombast of Nak is a more natural fit, even if it is more abstract than they're used to. Even if Naito was signed and he was used and communicated appropriately, I'm skeptical he would get over on the main roster. I could see Hiromu Takahashi occupying a Tajiri level of success.

Regardless, I doubt it gets to that. The signing blitz has to end at some point.

Slizz

IMO Kenny should get the first call from WWE if they are looking, but won't happen. Don't dream of AJ vs. Nak vs. Omega.

Foggy

Omega's cadence and delivery combined with the wwe creative braintrust is not something I care to experience. He could be DOA if they fuck up his introduction.

The more and more indy people signed, the less and less time Zayn gets. I just hope the ISEC that spent 2 years saying "push Zayn more" remembers that.

Heroman

Banned
WWE doesn't do subdued charisma particularly well, whereas the bombast of Nak is a more natural fit, even if it is more abstract than they're used to. Even if Naito was signed and he was used and communicated appropriately, I'm skeptical he would get over on the main roster. I could see Hiromu Takahashi occupying a Tajiri level of success.

Regardless, I doubt it gets to that. The signing blitz has to end at some point.
At certain point people are just going to start leaving, it will be a revolving door of talent.

If all the rumors of Triple H basically wanting modern WWE territories in every region are true, then I think the signing blitz has a long way to go.

IMO Kenny should get the first call from WWE if they are looking, but won't happen. Don't dream of AJ vs. Nak vs. Omega.

They absolutely want Kenny. They want any guys that can get the level of buzz that Omega and Okada got at WK.

Slizz

For some reason I don't see AJ/Omega clicking too well.

I can see where you are coming from with that. AJ is a bit quicker while Kenny is a bit more deliberate...... Mind you again, I'm just hopping on this Omega/NJPW train so I only have old matches to go on.

I always thought Zayn was one of the few big indie guys to greatly improve during his time spent in development, poor guy. Guy turned himself from somebody with a fun gimmick to a really reliable and passionate face. Where as people like Rollins are given shot after shot despite never growing into anything more than a movez guy.

Top Bottom