• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| May I Fancy You To A Nice Arse Whipping?

Caderfix

NXT on Hulu was free and was barely talked about. Definitely not enough to sustain a brand like they wanted to do with ECW.

And don't conflate YouTube's rise with something WWE could have co-opted. This is WWE, so they would have been as constrained and exclusive as possible.

But don't you have to subscribe to hulu? Was it a free service back then? I'm asking because I know nothing about it.

They would have presence during the streaming boom and before the interest for wrestling hit rock bottom is what I'm saying.

NXT on Hulu was free and was barely talked about. Definitely not enough to sustain a brand like they wanted to do with ECW.

And don't conflate YouTube's rise with something WWE could have co-opted. This is WWE, so they would have been as constrained and exclusive as possible.

Hell, it took Zack Ryder gaining millions of followers on his show before WWE considered going all-in on Youtube.

But don't you have to subscribe to hulu? Was it a free service back then? I'm asking because I know nothing about it.

They would have presence during the streaming boom and before the interest for wrestling hit rock bottom is what I'm saying.

Hulu prior to last year had free content that you could watch. It was an ad-supported service. It started that way prior to Hulu Plus but continued it even after Plus was launched. When NXT was Hulu-exclusive you could watch it for free.

And no, they weren't even close to the streaming boom. At the absolute best, you could argue the streaming boom (and this is streaming, not Youtube. YouTube is an outlier) really started in 2009/10. Shane wanted online ECW in 2006. No way that thing survives four years in the state they wanted it. Hell, it didn't even make it to 2010 as a standard TV show.

Another thing that bears mentioning is that when YouTube blew up in the mid-2000s, it had nothing to do with long-form content. Exactly the opposite actually. YouTube blew up because it was a way to get quick and entertaining videos out to the whole world.

Long-form video content on the internet just wasn't a thing people did. It's part of the reason TV and FIlm execs were so hesitant to invest in streaming services. No one knew if people wanted to sit in front of a computer (this was pre-streaming boxes and consoles being media devices) and watch long videos.

Caderfix

Hulu prior to last year had free content that you could watch. It was an ad-supported service. It started that way prior to Hulu Plus but continued it even after Plus was launched. When NXT was Hulu-exclusive you could watch it for free.

Ah, got it.

And no, they weren't even close to the streaming boom. At the absolute best, you could argue the streaming boom (and this is streaming, not Youtube. YouTube is an outlier) really started in 2009/10. Shane wanted online ECW in 2006. No way that thing survives four years in the state they wanted it. Hell, it didn't even make it to 2010 as a standard TV show.

I remember a bunch of sites streaming their own videos in 2007 while having very healthy visitors numbers. You can argue they wouldn't be able to mantain it as they wanted it but the thing is, we have no idea of what they would've wanted/expected in case they went through that route, and as for the "they couldn't make it even on tv", we go back to the the first comment on this discussion, it wouldn't have been run by the same people nor the same way.

I remember a bunch of sites streaming their own videos in 2007 while having very heatlhy visitors numbers. You can argue they wouldn't be able to mantain it as they wanted it but the thing is, we have no idea of what they would've wanted/expected in case they went through that rout, and as for the "they couldn't make it even on tv", we go back to the the first comment on this discussion, it wouldn't have been run by the same people nor the same way.

Refer to my above point about those video sites.

They didn't succeed on the back on 30-40 minute videos or shows. They succeeded because they weren't those things. They were clips. They were rapid fire.

My point is that the closest comp we have to an "online-only" ECW is Hulu NXT and that was not something that could survive as a third brand like they wanted from ECW. It's just not. And that's with the 2012/13 public's mindset and lifestyle on streaming and watching content online, which is a far cry from the same idea in 2006.

Hell, it took Zack Ryder gaining millions of followers on his show before WWE considered going all-in on Youtube.
Ryder basically developed their whole YouTube format. Then WWE came in and killed his show about 2 or 3 episodes into them coming into YouTube full time. Straight up took his idea and killed him. How The Internet Champonship isn't a real thing in this day and age with the network is just how behind the times they always are.

Ryder basically developed their whole YouTube format. Then WWE came in and killed his show about 2 or 3 episodes into them coming into YouTube full time. Straight up took his idea and killed him. How The Internet Champonship isn't a real thing in this day and age with the network is just how behind the times they always are.

Wow. Now I'm mad they don't have that championship, or re-introduce the TV Championship.

Hell, his show even made Ziggler tolerable.

Striker

Aside from poaching indy and Japan wrestlers, what's Hunner done from a business perspective? Same dude who laughed up promoting GotG for his friend because he felt the movie would bomb, or let's forget the company low balling The Rock in '05 because Hunner felt he would go to Hollywood and fail. Great business -- in it for himself.

Aside from poaching indy and Japan wrestlers, what's Hunner done from a business perspective? Same dude who laughed up promoting GotG for his friend because he felt the movie would bomb, or let's forget the company low balling The Rock in '05 because Hunner felt he would go to Hollywood and fail. Great business -- in it for himself.

Well he managed to make a touring brand out of those indy and Japan wrestlers that is more successful than the indies he took them from.

Now you could argue that's because he has the platform, but he also put those talents in a great position to succeed and built a brand around them that supports their strengths and is booked much better and more sensible than the main roster.

I think we will see more when the PC people they have trained from scratch start coming out.

Otherwise I really dont know what he has done. NXT is just to show investors he can run a promotion.

Striker

Well he managed to make a touring brand out of those indy and Japan wrestlers that is more successful than the indies he took them from.

Now you could argue that's because he has the platform, but he also put those talents in a great position to succeed and built a brand around them that supports their strengths and is booked much better and more sensible than the main roster.
What guys has he built up and booked as such has become a well known star? You can only do so much on NXT. Guys like AJ and Nakamura are already made, even then they aren't as well known as they should be.

What guys has he built up and booked as such has become a well known star? You can only do so much on NXT. Guys like AJ and Nakamura are already made, even then they aren't as well known as they should be.

Guys like American Alpha, The Revival, Sasha, Bayley, Charlotte, and Corbin were really either nothing outside of NXT or were completely NXT products from scratch. And they were all big stars in NXT and some of them are big on the main roster.

What a feat! It's not like he had insanely vast resources at his disposal or anything, just good ol' Hunter showing them darn nickel and dime indies how to properly conduct business!

Pikma

Banned
Wonder what WWE's reaction will be to this highly aggressive expansion attempt by NJPW, it's not like they can convince any of the top stars to sign with them.

Wonder what WWE's reaction will be to this highly aggressive expansion attempt by NJPW, it's not like they can convince any of the top stars to sign with them.

Sure they can, they just need to offer them top star money, not NXT money. I wouldn't be surprised to see WWE running Japan more often tbh, but they tried to go head to head with NJPW during the G1 a few years back...it didn't go so well haha.

Now you're getting it! Let's shake hands, friend! *extends hand*

...get my bags.

Adree

Watched the ROH PPV, first time really watching any ROH and it was interesting. Pretty bad camera work missing lots of moves. Seeing some big fat guy ref a lot of the matches is amusing but sad looking.

Kushida is great. Dalton Castle is great. I never want to see this beer city bruiser guy ever again.

Ospreay and Jay White was real good but man does Jay White have the worst look I've seen in awhile with his CAW default face and the inability to go 2 seconds without flipping his shit hair out of his face.

Punishment Martinez looks like Baron Corbin's long lost cousin. Both seem to love crappy tattoos.

Marty Scurll needs to ditch the dollar store cosplay and the silly flapping crap he does.

Tanahashi should probably rethink the brown(gold?) spot on the bottom of his pants.

Christopher Daniels entrance:
d9BUioW.jpg

Adree

It was nice to see that Alexa's charisma shines through on Jericho's podcast. Her grandma sounds cool as hell. I hope Sara Amato gets a raise every time one of her NXT girls gives an interview and showers her with praise.

Bit worrying that she was talking about getting a bruise from hitting her head on the ring ropes though. You'd think someone would notice and put a stop to it but that was part of the dark days of Bill Demott I guess.

Heroman

Banned
I don't find what HHH did to NXT to be super impressive , he a billion dollar company around him with a unlimited checkbook. It would be more surprising if it didn't succeed.

I don't find what HHH did to NXT to be super impressive , he a billion dollar company around him with a unlimited checkbook. It would be more surprising if it didn't succeed.

I know I can look this up, but how many wrestlers out of NXT were truly home grown talent? Sasha, Bayley, Big E......(I don't count Charolette because of her father)

Not discrediting how hard it is to make a promotion work, but I imagination it's a little easier when you're snatching up well traveled indie talent versus purely homegrown. Not to mention having Dusty and Regal there to help early on.

Pikma

Banned
I know I can look this up, but how many wrestlers out of NXT were truly home grown talent? Sasha, Bayley, Big E......(I don't count Charolette because of her father)

Not discrediting how hard it is to make a promotion work, but I imagination it's a little easier when you're snatching up well traveled indie talent versus purely homegrown. Not to mention having Dusty and Regal there to help early on.
Why would you discredit Charlotte though? Just how many second or third generation guys, coming from a really successful family, have ended up being a complete failure in wrestling? Their first name helps them but only until a certain point.

Pikma

Banned
Sure they can, they just need to offer them top star money, not NXT money. I wouldn't be surprised to see WWE running Japan more often tbh, but they tried to go head to head with NJPW during the G1 a few years back...it didn't go so well haha.
The only way I see this happening is if Nakamura really becomes a huge success, and seeing how this main roster debut has gone so far, I don't think it's happening. But yeah I guess those fuckers would be willing to spent a couple millions just to sideline one of their top guys.

Why would you discredit Charlotte though? Just how many second or third generation guys, coming from a really successful family, have ended up being a complete failure in wrestling? Their first name helps them but only until a certain point.

If you see my follow up, I'm speaking to purely green talent like Sasha or Big E.

Turning being the elite into a legit storyline is really great stuff by the Bucks.

They don't get enough to credit for storytelling

Agreed, really great storyline. Hopefully WWE take note of how they've laid it out across social media, Youtube as well as PPV events. Worked the fans over great with #JusticeForMarty.

Agreed, really great storyline. Hopefully WWE take note of how they've laid it out across social media, Youtube as well as PPV events. Worked the fans over great with #JusticeForMarty.

I disagree here, at least for WWE. It works for the Bucks & Elite because they're not on a weekly program. So relying on YouTube & social media helps to build that story for things like last nights ROH event. However, you're also putting more responsibility on your fans to seek out this supplemental content.

Top Bottom