• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| May I Fancy You To A Nice Arse Whipping?

The problem with the PC is, and always will be, that they teach everyone one way to work and tell them it's the only right way to do it. Even NJPW with a great dojo system knows that guys need to go elsewhere and learn different styles so they can find what they work with the best.

The best version of the PC is a place where they hire veterans from every type of style and division of wrestling in the world, and have the guys and girls there learn a little bit of everything, then focus down on whatever niche each individual excels at.

So we're just going to ignore all the work he did with the women?

It's not like Charlotte or Sasha or Bayley were main eventing indies when they were signed.

Same goes for tag team guys like American Alpha and The Revival. They weren't nothing, but they weren't stars by any measure.

I'm not saying he hasn't made stars, and the fact that he's done a better job of it than the main roster (and books better than the main roster) isn't in the least bit surprising really, is it? My issue is with the idea that he should be fucking applauded for poaching obvious talent, or the insinuation that the places said talent came from somehow dropped the ball because they were incapable of elevating their stars to the levels Triple H has with NXT.

E&C were in NXT for four years and you'd have no idea it was that long

I'd say there's an argument to be made that (for homegrown talent) WWE should really consider using the NJPW 'learning excursion' idea. 4 years in the performance centre and they're still the shits.

The best version of the PC is a place where they hire veterans from every type of style and division of wrestling in the world, and have the guys and girls there learn a little bit of everything, then focus down on whatever niche each individual excels at.

I would say Norman Smiley and Adam Bloom are two different styles...

I'd say there's an argument to be made that (for homegrown talent) WWE should really consider using the NJPW 'learning excursion' idea. 4 years in the performance centre and they're still the shits.

Is this where NJPW guys end up in CMLL or AAA then return?

I'm hopeful that this whole "WWE territories" thing they are doing (starting with the UK) can eventually become excursion destinations. Like guys spend time in NXT US, then a year in NXT UK or NXT Japan for instance.

I'm not saying he hasn't made stars, and the fact that he's done a better job of it than the main roster (and books better than the main roster) isn't in the least bit surprising really, is it? My issue is with the idea that he should be fucking applauded for poaching obvious talent, or the insinuation that the places said talent came from somehow dropped the ball because they were incapable of elevating their stars to the levels Triple H has with NXT.

I'm not arguing that Triple H is some wrestling savant we should all be thankful for.

But the idea that he doesn't know what he's doing or that he deserves zero credit for what NXT is is fucking laughable.

I'm not arguing that Triple H is some wrestling savant we should all be thankful for.

But the idea that he doesn't know what he's doing or that he deserves zero credit for what NXT is is fucking laughable.

You could argue that Dusty was a more significant role since he was responsible for all the mic work and character stuff.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Only five?

6. American Alpha
7. Brian Kendrick
8. Kassius Ohno
9. Cien Almas
10. Bray Wyatt
11. Austin Aries
12. Apollo Crews
13. Carmella
14. Curt Hawkins

I can keep going forever

You could argue that Dusty was a more significant role since he was responsible for all the mic work and character stuff.

But again, Dusty was in that role because Triple H wanted him there. And you could argue that it's an obvious choice, but it was still a decision he made. Same with Sara Amato and the women.

I think the Colons/Shining Stars/Matadors/whatever the fuck they are currently have my top "change the channel" heat, they've been around for freaking years and have never done anything remotely interesting.

As for people actually getting pushed, I'm dreading more Mojo in my future.

tumblr_nxmm85S5wp1sbzhteo1_400.gif

Do I root for Kane in 2015 or should I be upset that these two old lads beat my boy Bray?

This feud cemented the "Bray will always be garbage mindset" I have.

He "stole their power" for like an hour, it wasn't even a full episode.

Beefy

I think the Colons/Shining Stars/Matadors/whatever the fuck they are currently have my top "change the channel" heat, they've been around for freaking years and have never done anything remotely interesting.

As for people actually getting pushed, I'm dreading more Mojo in my future.

Mojo and Gronk..

1. Dolph Ziggler
2. Enzo
3. Cass
4. Brian Kendrick
5. Bray Wyatt

There are a ton of guys that just don't register for me (Apollo, The Shining Stars, Cody Rhodes), but my top 5 are dudes that make me want to stop watching whatever it is I'm watching.

Dolph Ziggler gets #1 because he's made me not care about Nakamura's match, which is a hell of an achievement.

I think tonight we'll get a very good idea on the future of Io Shirai. She's defending the Red Belt against Toni Storm. I think if she drops it, it might be a sign that she's leaving Stardom or they think she's leaving. If she wins, I think it's basically guaranteed she's staying for the foreseeable future.

Conversely, I don't think Storm is long for Stardom if she loses. Hell, I don't know if she's long for it even if she wins.

I wish winning the Andre Memorial knitted the winner more then just a shitty looking trophy. It's like with the King of the Ring in recent years. All the winner got was the chance to call himself a king and act like royalty.

somedevil

I think tonight we'll get a very good idea on the future of Io Shirai. She's defending the Red Belt against Toni Storm. I think if she drops it, it might be a sign that she's leaving Stardom or they think she's leaving. If she wins, I think it's basically guaranteed she's staying for the foreseeable future.

Conversely, I don't think Storm is long for Stardom if she loses.

If she signs then NXT women's roster will be really stacked with all these new women that signed reporting and the debuts of upcoming talent like Lacey Evans, Bianca, Daria, Mandy and Dobson.

I wish winning the Andre Memorial knitted the winner more then just a shitty looking trophy. It's like with the King of the Ring in recent years. All the winner got was the chance to call himself a king and act like royalty.
That is what it is always been though. Cole would mention it here and there but it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Is this where NJPW guys end up in CMLL or AAA then return?

Yep, it dates back to the origins of wrestling in Japan - Rikidozan had to go to the US to learn his craft, then brought it back to Japan. When he trained Baba and Inoki, he sent them to the US as well and when Baba and Inoki started AJPW and NJPW they both continued sending trainees abroad.

Students usually have 3-4 years in the dojo before being sent out on excursion. When they return, they're finally allowed a gimmick and a character. Traditionally, big guys would be sent to the US or continental Europe (back when the Catch Wrestling Association was still a thing), while smaller wrestlers would be sent to the UK, Mexico or Canada.

XenoRaven

I agree that the new Mastodon album is fantastic. It was also fantastic to see them live a week ago, even if they didn't play Word to the Wise.

Zabka

The Performance Center would look a lot better if the booking on the main roster wasn't so terrible. Sasha, Becky, Bray and Roman were all let down by the bizarre mindset ruling the WWE right now.

XenoRaven

To me, one of the biggest flaws of the performance center and NXT as a place to train wrestlers for the main roster, is that they should be teaching people the basics and fundamentals of working a match and getting over with a crowd. They should not be developing the character that they are going to debut on the main roster. There are a few exceptions, but by and large, going to the main roster should be a reset button.

Otherwise you get Emma coming out with a stupid dance and no one understands why or what about it makes her in any way endearing. The RAW and Smackdown audiences don't have the context of the entire build of the character, so they're left scratching their heads as to why they should care.

The three most successful guys to come out of NXT came to WWE as a stable, and their characters had absolutely no tie to what they did on NXT. No one gave a shit about Big E until people watched him develop a character in New Day.

Zabka

You mean Vince

Not only Vince since I'd imagine other higher-ups like Stephanie have an amount of veto power over their characters. Somehow the most hated heel in the company was positioned as the patron of the "Divas Revolution". Then they wasted months to bump AJ Lee out the record books for a soon-to-be retired championship.

I really hated the Divas Revolution.

Top Bottom