• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

Ithil

Lol,at them working attendance numbers

CiGqfgoUUAEei9-.jpg

Using the fake attendance numbers and the misleading Network numbers (since that includes the free subs) on an official press release is hilarious.
Also means anyone interested in this stuff should second guess pretty much everything else there.

Shiv47

Went to the ROH show here in the Detroit area last night, mainly to see the NJPW guys, as I don't follow ROH to any great degree. Generally a pretty fun show, the NJPW guys were all booked to look good; the only one who ate a pin was Gedo. Main event was a 10-man tag between the Bullet Club and the Briscoes/some other guys. That was pretty fun. It included some guy I've never heard of joining the BC in a "shocking" betrayal at the end. BC seems like an idea that's run its course, but the majority of fans there seemed to love them. Shook Kushida's hand afterward, as he was outside selling shirts and greeting fans. I doubt I'd go to a solely ROH show again, but I'd definitely see another with the NJPW guys.

notworksafe

So I went to a WWE house show on Sunday and wow, it was a blast. Saw some fun matches and even a really good comedy match.

Some highlights:

- Sasha/Becky vs Lana/Emma: The reaction for Becky was amazing. One of the bigger pops of the night. There were some young girls behind me screaming when she came out and yelling "Oh my god it's Becky Lynch!". Was very cute. At one point when Emma abandoned the ring during the match we started chanting "Emma's chicken!" and Sasha strutted around the ring flapping her arms at Emma.

- R-Truth reffing a match between Goldust & Viktor: Was really fun because, despite his insistence that he would call the match down the middle, Truth was very much favoring Dust. At one point when Viktor had a pin, Truth left the ring to chat with fans and ate off of someone's cotton candy. He eventually assisted by just hitting Viktor and then counted the 1-2-3.

- New Day vs Wyatts (Rowan/Braun) vs Big Show/Kane: Only notable because HOLY SHIT at the pop for Big Show. Kids LOVE this guy! He definitely seemed energized by the reaction and it showed in his ring work. Kane/Show won but got beatdown by the Wyatts after until New Day saved them. Then everyone twerked in the ring, including Jojo.

- Social Outcasts (Bo & Axel) vs Hype Bros: People love the Hype Bros. Match was mostly boring though. At one point Axel was laid out in the middle of the ring while people chanted "He Ain't Hype" and Bo just screamed "Get hype, Axel!". That was pretty funny.

- Del Rio vs Kalisto for the US TItle: New Mexico looooves Del Rio. He got a huge cheer. Our group also started a "Si! Si! Si!" chant and he looked over and pointed at us, then the whole arena started chanting it. Kalisto got a MAJOR pop from the kids when he came out, and then Del Rio cut a promo all in Spanish about how he was the true Mexican champ and asked the crowd to chant "Si Si Si" and "Lucha, Lucha" to see which was louder. "Lucha, lucha" barely won and then they started the match. It was a fantastic, very technical match which Kalisto won (of course).

Main event was Rusev/Ambrose which was mainly notable for the reaction for Ambrose. He blew the roof off. Everyone was screaming for him, young and old and men and women.

Overall a very fun show and it was very cool to hear reactions from a non-smarky crowd.

Hex

Banned
I'd be okay with him winning if he actually sells Nakamura's offense and doesn't do the shit he does at the end of most Cena matches. Cena's only really huge flaw as a wrestler is that he has a bad habit of forgetting to sell injuries.

If he put Owens over he HAS to put Shinsuke Nakamura over

Using the fake attendance numbers and the misleading Network numbers (since that includes the free subs) on an official press release is hilarious.
Also means anyone interested in this stuff should second guess pretty much everything else there.

Carnie as hell

Then
Now
Forever

So why is Hawaii getting such a special show? Is this their first show in Hawaii?

It's a stop on their way to Japan, and it's been a while since they've been in Hawaii.

As the stop between the US and Japan, Hawaii's historically been home to a lot of fantasy match-ups during its hottest period in the 60s-70s under Ed Francis's 50th State Wrestling.

Went to the ROH show here in the Detroit area last night, mainly to see the NJPW guys, as I don't follow ROH to any great degree. Generally a pretty fun show, the NJPW guys were all booked to look good; the only one who ate a pin was Gedo. Main event was a 10-man tag between the Bullet Club and the Briscoes/some other guys. That was pretty fun. It included some guy I've never heard of joining the BC in a "shocking" betrayal at the end. BC seems like an idea that's run its course, but the majority of fans there seemed to love them. Shook Kushida's hand afterward, as he was outside selling shirts and greeting fans. I doubt I'd go to a solely ROH show again, but I'd definitely see another with the NJPW guys.

That's the pitfall of running these joint shows with NJPW: ROH's guys seem so second-rate compared to NJPW's stars.

Hex

Banned
So why is Hawaii getting such a special show? Is this their first show in Hawaii?

Well it can go one of two days...
They can crush the Japanese stars in Hawaii for Memorial day....
OR
They can use the Japanese ties that Hawaii has and use this to market the fuck out of it for WWE Network Japan.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
have you guys turned on Big Cass yet or is it still too soon?

Almost everyone to a man said "Vince got ahold of him" when he started cutting solo promos. Even Meltzer said it on WOR.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Nak/Cena is just a dream match. WWE knows they don't have time to do it with a real story. Accept it for what it is, disregard the results, and enjoy it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'ts possible.

I just hope people react in a sane manner if the face of the WWE pins Nakamura and don't say he's burying Nakamura.

Would people be that dense? Just having a match with Cena, regardless of outcome, is a huge great thing. It furthers your career by doing anything with him. He elevates all talent.

Recall

PPV Buy Rates mean nothing with the Network now as an option for so many.

A huge PPV buy rate used to impact how much a wrestler made but now with no clear way of showing how much a PPV drew and how many people watched/network subs it must obviously impact today's roster and their payouts.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Rusev was elevated. They just did nothing with it afterwards. Nothing but a Cena feud would have gotten Rusev a tank entrance

It's kind of curious to look at the similarities/contrasts of John Cena. One was a dude who had trouble putting on quality matches for years up until recently but had a character that sold well, the other was a dude who could always put on quality matches but had basically no character for years. Both were tasked with trying to help keep their company afloat after their bigger compatriots left the company. Around the same age, 2 years inbetween debuts.

shanafan

I literally work less than a mile from where ROH was, and totally forgot the show was last night. Glad it sounded like it was fun!

Top Bottom