• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

Kaladin

I was actually okay with that ending. You could either say Lil Naith is in the Flair's back pocket or just say he went into business for himself because he's a Flair fanboy. It's one of the few times a callback to Montreal really made sense. The only thing I don't like is trotting out Bret Hart to basically have no influence no the match at all.

I just felt the ending was missing something....hell, even a nod from Ric to Robinson to do what he did would suffice.

I know he just beat prostate cancer and that can be a bitch, but Brett just looked like a tired old man out there and shouldn't have been there.

Is it odd that I thought Ric was in better health than Brett last night?

Sephzilla

I just felt the ending was missing something....hell, even a nod from Ric to Robinson to do what he did would suffice.

I know he just beat prostate cancer and that can be a bitch, but Brett just looked like a tired old man out there and shouldn't have been there.

I think it was just Bret not wanting to be there so he probably gave zero shits about looking strong.

So I guess same feelings for Brock? ;)

I'll have the same feelings about Brock when Brock is on dramatic shocking Brock Lesnar return #12. The whole "return of Y2J" thing was played out a decade ago.

Brett MICHAELS? That's weird.

But Flair is in better health than Bret Hart.

Again I love how they pull that f'ing screw job horse shit "It's just like Montreal Maggle!!!"
But with the men's title match "This is not how title matches end in this new era!"
Carney as fuck....
To be fair the match was before Shane/Steph being made in charge

As dumb as it was, I thought it was hilarious. Was joking earlier with friends that Bret shows up, all of a sudden Charlotte puts him in the sharpshooter and Vince rings the bell. Way closer than I ever expected lol

The worst part about that match was very loud "We Want Sasha" chants. They're trying to build a division and have two good wrestlers in the ring, fuck off with that.

Kaladin

So I guess same feelings for Brock? ;)

Brock is different. He actually does something when he comes and he leaves at the close of the chapter of whatever story they're telling with him. With Brock it feels less like it's at his convenience and more like it's whenever the company needs him.

With Jericho, it's totally at his convenience and he comes in, jobs to a few up and coming stars and leaves. I was actually shocked to see him win matches this time around.

They literally never do anything with him that means anything in the long run except give some new face a feud for a month or two that will mean nothing later on.

Brett MICHAELS? That's weird.

But Flair is in better health than Bret Hart.

Meh, I typo shit in the mornings.

Mahonay

Banned
I was actually okay with that ending. You could either say Lil Naith is in the Flair's back pocket or just say he went into business for himself because he's a Flair fanboy. It's one of the few times a callback to Montreal really made sense. The only thing I don't like is trotting out Bret Hart to basically have no influence no the match at all.
For me, honestly one of the worst things WWE has done all year. You can't get more tone deaf and miss the mark than that finish.

I'm glad you're able to craft a background story for why it happened, since they chose not to. I'm usually able to do that as well for other matches and feuds, since current WWE forgets to tell any kind of story most of the time.

Sephzilla

For me, honestly one of the worst things WWE has done all year. You can't get more tone deaf and miss the mark than that finish.

I'm glad you're able to craft a background story for why it happened, since they chose not to. I'm usually able to do that as well for other matches and feuds, since current WWE forgets to tell any kind of story most of the time.

It's not that hard to figure out just purely off of what happened on TV. Ref calls for the bell very quickly, the ref immediately runs out of the ring, grabs the belt, and gives it to Charlotte right away. It was a crooked ref situation.

Mahonay

Banned
It's not that hard to figure out just purely off of what happened on TV. Ref calls for the bell very quickly, the ref immediately runs out of the ring, grabs the belt, and gives it to Charlotte right away. It was a crooked ref situation.
Lol you are giving it way too much leeway but ok.

Even if I agreed that it was clear what was happening, it was bad. It was really bad.

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't need the entire story to play out in one night, there's weeks between now and the rematch at Extreme Rules.

Syder

Chris Jericho ‏@IAmJericho 28m28 minutes ago
Thanks @wwe....its been real. See you next time.

guess he's off again

hogan.png

Sephzilla

Lol you are giving it way too much leeway but ok.

Even if I agreed that it was clear what was happening, it was bad. It was really bad.

It was a pretty logical escalation of the shit Charlotte will do to keep the title though. She keeps Ric at ringside because she helps him keep the belt. Oh, Nattie brought out Bret Hart to balance out Ric? Well then she takes it one step further and gets a crooked ref on her side in order to keep the belt.

This is heel shit 101.

Also this is one of those stories were you need to follow it in order to see how they got the ref on her side and shit. Not all stories/swerves need to be played out and explained in one night.

Mahonay

Banned
Just how predictable was the whole McMahon segment? I think about 75 percent of us here called it that Vince would just tell them to figure it out and both run RAW. I guess that's just par for course.

Hex

Banned

As dumb as it was, I thought it was hilarious. Was joking earlier with friends that Bret shows up, all of a sudden Charlotte puts him in the sharpshooter and Vince rings the bell. Way closer than I ever expected lol

The worst part about that match was very loud "We Want Sasha" chants. They're trying to build a division and have two good wrestlers in the ring, fuck off with that.

I agree about the chants but the truth is Natty is midcard and nobody seriously expects her to win the Women's belt.

Enter rant mode:
One of the strongest things that LU does and some other indies is that anyone can beat anyone on a given day, anyone is a threat.
WWE would be smart to do this, sort of like they did with Zach but more so.
Get in the minds of the fans.
But they won't.

Just how predictable was the whole McMahon segment? I think about 75 percent of us here called it that Vince would just tell them to figure it out and both run RAW. I guess that's just par for course.

The issue will be when HHH gets involved.

Gurrry

I actually hate when people get on the crowd for cheering things, especially since they paid to be there and deserve to be heard with what ever they want to shout, but I actually have to agree on this one.

Nattie and Charlotte are as good as Sasha. I dont get why people cant respect all of the women instead of just 1. I know Sasha is amazing and all.. but its not like youre getting fucking Brie Bella and Naomi or some shit. This match didnt deserve those chants.

It was 2 bad ass women who can ACTUALLY wrestle. Why start shouting you want someone else when you have a good match going on?

The Sasha chant during good womens matches is becoming the new "we are awesome" and "what" chants. Its getting to those cringe levels for me.

The other fucked up thing is that once we do get more Sasha and these crowds get bored with her, theyll move on and theyre gonna start chanting "Heeeyyy We want some BAYLEY!" during a Sasha match.

Sephzilla

Yeah, the "We want Sasha" chants bugged me as well since Nattie and Charlotte are also really good in ring workers.

That segment was ruined simply because they just can't let go of the heel authority figure trope.

Brock is different. He actually does something when he comes and he leaves at the close of the chapter of whatever story they're telling with him. With Brock it feels less like it's at his convenience and more like it's whenever the company needs him.

With Jericho, it's totally at his convenience and he comes in, jobs to a few up and coming stars and leaves. I was actually shocked to see him win matches this time around.

They literally never do anything with him that means anything in the long run except give some new face a feud for a month or two that will mean nothing later on.

Meh, I typo shit in the mornings.
I'm just pulling your magic carpet this morning. My friend used to do the same to me. Since Brett Favre was my favourite player, I'd often add an extra 't' to Hart's name.

Kaladin

I'm just pulling your magic carpet this morning. My friend used to do the same to me. Since Brett Favre was my favourite player, I'd often add an extra 't' to Hart's name.

In my head I often see Brett Hart because his last name is one 't' and I would think they would have two 't''s for Bret.

Tomorrow Cole starts spewing the "WE'RE NOW IN WHAT SOME ARE CALLING A NEW ERA OF WWE!" making it sound like the fans came up with it not something they're just pushing themselves.

Kaladin

Tomorrow Cole starts spewing the "WE'RE NOW IN WHAT SOME ARE CALLING A NEW ERA OF WWE!" making it sound like the fans came up with it not something they're just pushing themselves.

Nah, they pushed it hard last night. New era, new faces. That's going to be the theme going forward.

It's going to make it weird when Cena comes back.

Mahonay

Banned
Yeah, the "We want Sasha" chants bugged me as well since Nattie and Charlotte are also really good in ring workers.

That segment was ruined simply because they just can't let go of the heel authority figure trope.
The CM Punk chants were worse. It's a little pathetic at this point.

It was a pretty logical escalation of the shit Charlotte will do to keep the title though. She keeps Ric at ringside because she helps him keep the belt. Oh, Nattie brought out Bret Hart to balance out Ric? Well then she takes it one step further and gets a crooked ref on her side in order to keep the belt.

This is heel shit 101.

Also this is one of those stories were you need to follow it in order to see how they got the ref on her side and shit. Not all stories/swerves need to be played out and explained in one night.
Let's say I agree on those points.

Copying the Montreal Screwjob is not creative storytelling or a good choice.

Also wrong feud to do it with. The Charlotte/Nattie feud on the main roster is pretty new. It's not like Shawn vs Bret where it was some bitter rivalry with a lot of background to it. This was a fairly typical program, with a woman that has been out of the title picture for a while now. The finish was painfully shoehorned in. It was not a natural conclusion. I might have bought it if it was against Becky.

BFIB

Thoughts:

-to get this out of the way, the McMahon's need to be off TV for good. This is the same rinse and repeat since late '99. Enough is enough, it's time for a change
-it's clear they have no idea what to do with Reigns. I don't fall into the hate machine, because the dude is booked so shitty. Address the strength, hide the weaknesses, but you build him up to have him win via chicken shit heel method, but he's not a heel?
-the Montreal finish. Real classy. Fuck whoever in WWE who booked this finish. Way to establish the women's division.

I was OK with everything else. The booking needs a serious overhaul though.

Pro

I really hope Cass gets to come out on Monday and be super fucking pissed at the Vaudevillians and just squashes the fuck out of both of them by himself.

I hope so too. I hope SAWFT doesn't lose any momentum because of last night. They're too good to lose any steam now.

It seemed like some of the stuff Zayn and Owens were pulling last night was a bit subversive. Did Zayn yell FUCK at some point and it was muted or did my stream stutter? Also, for some reason I'm imagining Owens putting the belt in his teeth is on a no no list somewhere.

A friend of mine was telling me that supposedly a lot of wrestlers backstage are tired of all the restrictions.

Or maybe I'm way off and it's nothing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I was entertained by the Lil Naitch call back.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
As much as people like to moan about losses, they are in fact pushing Zayn while also making him constantly lose.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Nah, they pushed it hard last night. New era, new faces. That's going to be the theme going forward.

It's going to make it weird when Cena comes back.

I really like the new era talk. Looking at the current roster, most of the call ups since The Shield have been pretty great. Their booking of Roman is shit, but Owens/Zayn/Styles are putting in great work week after week. Women's wrestling is getting a lot better, even if last night's match was nothing to write home about. Best of all, we'll have crossfit Jesus back soon. I am excited to see him in matches with the three people mentioned above. Someday soon we'll have American Alpha, Revival, and Shinsuke Nakamura in the mix. If only the booking was good, they could have an amazing product instead of an occasionally good one. Hell, even the announce team could be good if they just started leaning on Mauro a bit more. All the pieces are there, they just need to put them together, which looks unlikely.

Kaladin

Camp WWE with Vince being open to voice a full on R rated parody version of Mr. McMahon gives me hope that the WWE Network will one day be home to an R Rated wrestling product.

Sephzilla

As much as people like to moan about losses, they are in fact pushing Zayn while also making him constantly lose.

He should have lost to Owens. I have no problem with that because, if they build it up right, some day when Zayn beats Owens for the WWE title it's going to be the pop to end all pops. Zayn, however Zayn needs to start winning other feuds

Angry Grimace

He should have lost to Owens. I have no problem with that because, if they build it up right, some day when Zayn beats Owens for the WWE title it's going to be the pop to end all pops. Zayn, however Zayn needs to start winning other feuds

I think the idea is that he's gonna keep sort of fucking Owens while not actually beating him in a one-on-one match, e.g. winning the title at Extreme Rules without actually beating Owens himself.

Mahonay

Banned
Zayn should have absolutely lost that match. Way too early for a pay off. Kayfabe wise, Owens is pretty strong on the main roster too. Zayn is just starting his climb.

Kaladin

I really like the new era talk. Looking at the current roster, most of the call ups since The Shield have been pretty great. Their booking of Roman is shit, but Owens/Zayn/Styles are putting in great work week after week. Women's wrestling is getting a lot better, even if last night's match was nothing to write home about. Best of all, we'll have crossfit Jesus back soon. I am excited to see him in matches with the three people mentioned above. Someday soon we'll have American Alpha, Revival, and Shinsuke Nakamura in the mix. If only the booking was good, they could have an amazing product instead of an occasionally good one. Hell, even the announce team could be good if they just started leaning on Mauro a bit more. All the pieces are there, they just need to put them together, which looks unlikely.

2016 is essentially 1996 all over again. The pieces are there, they just need time to come together and make everything awesome.

Tom Nook

Pretty good PPV with the exception of the copy of the Montreal Screw job, and Roman Reigns kicking out of 5 finishers.

If at Extreme Rules, AJ hits his finisher on Roman Reigns, how are we now meant to be kept in suspense as viewers, knowing that Reigns will just simply kick out?

What did you think of Payback?

Matches were not bad Zane and Owens was incredible. I don't like people kicking out of so many finishers, this is something that has to stop.

I know AJ will never be world champ, but I am happy he gets main event paydays for the next two months.

Dude deserves everything he has.

Sanjuro

I think the biggest positive from last night is it showed AJ could hang with the BIG BOYS.

Easily his most impressive match since arriving. Nice to see some of the hype come to fruition.

Top Bottom