• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

klonere

Banned
They just posted an article update. They're behind on paying workers for the 4th year in a row, the Nazis didn't help, people are threatened with being replaced, and they still can't get an investor

I know its bad to say this because its another place to work and the one of the only places with TV and a production setup but

please finally die TNA. People who leave you generally do better and everyone you use has to work off that "TNA stink" for at least 6 months afterwards.

Let it go Dixie, you are a failure.

I know its bad to say this because its another place to work and the one of the only places with TV and a production setup but

please finally die TNA. People who leave you generally do better and everyone you use has to work off that "TNA stink" for at least 6 months afterwards.

Let it go Dixie, you are a failure.

There's no shame in wanting TNA to die. Even the traditional "but what about the workers" spiel fails when you realize if they're hired anywhere else, even Lowes, they will actually be paid on time, something TNA has consistently failed to do for every side of its employees since 2011.

Sandow's going to pursue acting after his indie dates are done

Eventually the thread will notice that WWE is the only promotion that actively breaks talent's love of/will to continue wrestling

Everyone knows that I am the crown jewel of WrassleGAF.

While you marks look like hobo wrestling fans, I actually look like a wrestler.

#FEra

Kaladin

They just posted an article update. They're behind on paying workers for the 4th year in a row, the Nazis didn't help, people are threatened with being replaced, and they still can't get an investor

TNA needs to relocate production to a university like WWE did NXT and use students to film for free class credits.

Cena was the first when he cashed in against Punk at RAW 1000
True, but Big Show caused a DQ to get that match off. Sandow lost cleanly which is pretty pathetic to happen to him. Hell Cena had an injured arm during their match, which made Sandow come off as weak.

Makes you wonder why they even gave him the briefcase.

True, but Big Show caused a DQ to get that match off. Sandow lost cleanly which is pretty pathetic to happen to him. Hell Cena had an injured arm during their match, which made Sandow come off as weak.

I'll never forget the thread when that happened. Everyone was saying immediately after the finish that that match made him, and 80% of the people saying that also said "they'll never capitalize on it though". And of course, they were right

Kurita

Legit felt bad for Sandow

MG310

Looks like one of the Young Bucks and Rocky Romero got hurt so they changed up the NYC card. The Bucks, Cole, and Page didn't have matches to begin with.

Now we're getting Tanahashi vs. Sydal

**MAIN EVENT**
BULLET CLUB vs NEW JAPAN vs RING OF HONOR
Bullet Club (Adam Cole & Matt Jackson) vs “Rainmaker” Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii vs ROH World Champion Jay Lethal & Roderick Strong

NON TITLE
IWGP Heavyweight Champion Tetsuya Naito vs ACH

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Reborn Matt Sydal

ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP RE-MATCH
Addiction vs War Machine

Cedric Alexander vs Donovan Dijak w/ Prince Nana

Jushin “Thunder” Liger & the Briscoes vs Guerrillas of Destiny & “Hangman” Adam Page

CHOAS (Beretta & Gedo) w/ Rocky Romero vs Motor City Machine Guns

NON TITLE
IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion KUSHIDA vs “Pro Wrestling’s Last Real Man” Silas Young

FOUR CORNER SURVIVAL
Michael Elgin vs Moose w/ Stokely Hathaway vs Dalton Caslte w/ the Boys vs Lio Rush

reDRagon vs All Night Express

Ring of Honor & New Japan Pro-Wrestling present
"War of The Worlds Tour"
Saturday, May 14th
Terminal 5
610 West 56th Street
New York, NY
DOORS OPEN 6:00PM / 7:00PM BELL TIME

You're far too tall to be a wrestler. Nice try.

too tall for the indys, too short for the wwe

Shame about your goofy face, though.

roman-reigns-tlc-promo.0.jpg

if he can do it, so can i

Hex

Banned
Do I like Doctor Who?

#DeadGiveaway

Good shit.
I have 9th doctor on blu and all of the Matt Smith and Capaldi on blu as well as the Dalek War dvd set and The Key to Time special edition dvd.

I have every ep of the classic digitally via other sources.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'll never forget the thread when that happened. Everyone was saying immediately after the finish that that match made him, and 80% of the people saying that also said "they'll never capitalize on it though". And of course, they were right

It's a fantastic match. That's the time period where Cena really started to step his game up in the ring. CM Punk Raw match is also from then, later that year he fights Cesaro on RAW as well, and of course Daniel Bryan.

Good shit.
I have 9th doctor on blu and all of the Matt Smith and Capaldi on blu as well as the Dalek War dvd set and The Key to Time special edition dvd.

I have every ep of the classic digitally via other sources.

I've got one classic show and almost the entire New Who (just missing half a Tennant season and the last season)

klonere

Banned
It's spectacular how quickly ROH booking exploded. They went from not doing all that much, wasting some talent here, putting over too many NJPW guys there but it was inoffensive.

In two nights they just blew everything up. I wonder what happened behind the scenes. I wonder if Delirious has adapted his gimmick to his booking.

DBry got the briefcase because he was in a nearby town doing a book signing and there was an injury so they not only put him in the match to fill but then decided "fuck it he'll win".

Not a lot of thought is put into so much.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's spectacular how quickly ROH booking exploded. They went from not doing all that much, wasting some talent here, putting over too many NJPW guys there but it was inoffensive.

In two nights they just blew everything up. I wonder what happened behind the scenes. I wonder if Delirious has adapted his gimmick to his booking.

Apparently the same thing happened to the last set of Lucha Underground tapings.

MG310

I haven't been watching since they stopped showing it on Destination America..mostly know it from that short period and the guys who show up in NJPW. I saw enough to not want to see any member of The Decade or hear Steve Corino announce again.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
For Jericho not to tap out of the crossface, that's awesome. That's a devastating hold. 4* match. Another ppv better than WM2000.

You might have noticed this but for whatever reason all of the Attitude era Wrestlemania's are among the worst WWF shows of that year. XV and XVI especially but XIV isn't that great. The final show of the era happens to be the best show of all time to make up for it.

Zach

You might have noticed this but for whatever reason all of the Attitude era Wrestlemania's are among the worst WWF shows of that year. XV and XVI especially but XIV isn't that great. The final show of the era happens to be the best show of all time to make up for it.

You might have noticed this but for whatever reason the Attitude Era suuucks.

P.S. Man God, are you even aware that we formed a short-lived Mega Team?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You might have noticed this but for whatever reason the Attitude Era suuucks.

P.S. Man God, are you even aware that we formed a short-lived Mega Team?

I was busy reading all morning. Did anyone draft me? Is it everyone versus the millionaires club of Sunny Mac?

Zach

I was busy reading all morning. Did anyone draft me? Is it everyone versus the millionaires club of Sunny Mac?

Look at this epic, one-sided saga:

And I'd like to introduce you to my e-faction:

Zach
Man God

oP5kdg3.jpg

You're just cranky because the Z-Man B-team hasn't formed yet. You're first in line, brother!

You'll say anything to be involved with Z-Man, Wolfpac Disco Inferno.

Where the heck is Man God? I'm about to kick him out of Z-Man and start up the One Zach Nation.

(With Jimmy King as The Dizciple, of course.)

You left me high and dry, Man God. And that's why I'll never forgive you.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Fact : Ring of Honor's tape library is 100X more valuable to WWE than TNA's.

Sinclair isn't dumb enough to sell media rights for cheap though. You can probably get the tape library from TNA for a song and add over a hundred ppvs to your catalog overnight with minimal editing as TNA never used a ton of licensed music or anything.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm the third man brother. Trillionaire Vince promised me movies, headline matches, etc. I'm sick of the fans, dude.

RBH

From the latest issue of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter:

There was an interesting tweet recently by WWE’s Chief Revenue and Marketing Officer Michelle Wilson, noting that two-thirds of the viewers of “Total Divas” are new to the brand.

There’s probably something to that, given the audience makeup of “Total Divas” is completely different from every other show because it’s mostly comprised of women under 35 and teenage girls, audiences that have in the past had some affinity for pro wrestling at certain times, but as a general rule, not in large numbers.

The flip side is with that show garnering a new audience, that should, if anything, lead to increases in the other key products, Raw, Smackdown and arena business, which are not increasing at all, and in fact, so far this year, all three are in decline. But there is a change, particularly in Smackdown more than Raw, but it’s there in both, where the percentage of women viewers is increasing. What that indicates is that “Total Divas” is probably making some, not a lot of new female fans for the brand.

But that hides a huge problem that has gone almost completely overlooked. The core audience, the male viewership, has declined far greater than anyone has realized and more than a cursory look at ratings or arena attendance would indicate.

Nearly every long-time follower and people with long histories in the business that we’ve talked with of late has noted just from television and the reactions, combined with revenue that pro wrestling has become more-and-more a hardcore-based entertainment. It’s a smaller audience following wrestling than at any time, perhaps aside from the 1992-95 period when wrestling bottomed out, in the modern era.

The flip side is that audience is more into the product, because there is so much more too the product, because there is so much available. The few big events of the year are bigger than ever before, just because they are “big events” as opposed to in the past when big events were big events based on having the right attraction that clicks with the audience.

But the stuff that isn’t as big doesn’t matter as much. Because of the plethora of product, and also because that product, whether it be angles, storylines or match results, is less meaningful as far as repercussions, it’s harder to get a reaction.

But as far as the numbers watching the two key television shows, here’s the situation.

Smackdown is hard to judge because the numbers should have increased going to the more powerful network, and they did at first. But now they’re slightly below last year even with the network upgrade and the far better announcing. The thing with Smackdown is that the three hour exhaustion factor that hurts Raw at the end doesn’t play into effect as a two-hour show that is more wrestling oriented.

The issue with Smackdown is that it’s so much made into a “B” show (even, weirdly, they have by far the “A” announcing team because Lawler is revitalized and blows away JBL, and Ranallo is far and away the best announcer they’ve had in years). I thought with the move to USA, they’d try and equal it out more. But with Raw, while the women audience isn’t as hardcore (they tune out at a far faster rate than men, particularly for shows that drag), by percentage, they are holding steady while the overall audience is declining double digits. Thus, the actual decline in male viewership is stronger than anyone notices.

If there are also more women attending house shows, and given nobody knows if that’s the case or not, because overall attendance is down, that would also indicate the 16 percent drop in January and 8 percent drop in February would be even more within the male demo.

For example, the April 27, 2015 Raw did 2.6 million male viewers and 1.2 million female viewers. The April 28, 2014 Raw did 3.2 million male viewers and 1.4 million female viewers. But the April 25, 2016 Raw did 1,963,000 male viewers and 1,153,000 female viewers.

So you look and see a 32 percent drop over two years, and a 17 percent over one year and it does look bad.

But the male audience drop is actually 38 to 39 percent over two years and 24 to 25 percent over the past year.

The other aspect is when they tout so-called gains by percentages of women, that women are still down 18 percent over the past two years (although there is virtually no decline from last year) when it comes to Raw viewership, but the higher percentage of women viewers camouflages those declines because women, by percentage, are higher.

Top Bottom