• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

Zach

Still better than Mania 2000
Not so fast, my friend.

AcDhpqt.jpg

First match of this Nitro. Look at the time. Look at the time!!

Zach

It's insanity.
I mean, including commercials that's probably at like the 1:15, 1:20 mark of the show. That's insane, man. There have been plenty of dumb things WCW has done, but up until this point I've seen paths to righting the ship. But if you're going well over an hour before your first match even begins? It's game over.

I mean, including commercials that's probably at like the 1:15, 1:20 mark of the show. That's insane, man. There have been plenty of dumb things WCW has done, but up until this point I've seen paths to righting the ship. But if you're going well over an hour before your first match even begins? It's game over.

It was truly the beginning of the end for that company.

klonere

Banned
From Cabana/Bauer interview

In 2007 there was a proposed idea to have students of Shawn Michaels face off against the new Hart foundation: Bryan Danielson, Paul London, Brian Kendrick, Lance Cade vs Harry Smith, Teddy Hart, Natty, Tyson Kidd

That would have been pretty great in hindsight.

Mahonay

Banned
The only movies I can't defend anyone enjoying are those fucking Marlon Wayans movies that somehow still come out in 2016.

And any Adam Sandler movie after 2000.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
found this old spanish interview with Nakamura where he speaks both English and Spanish, surprised how well he speaks both languages and he's probably improved a lot since then. I think he'll do fine in WWE promos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgM801-dfzs

Yeah, Jim Ross said his English is good enough he could do promo work, but I think its an intentional decision to not make him do or say anything at this point because he's never going to do the kind of heavy promo work that a lot of other people in WWE do.

Mahonay

Banned
Yeah, Jim Ross said his English is good enough he could do promo work, but I think its an intentional decision to not make him do or say anything at this point because he's never going to do the kind of heavy promo work that a lot of other people in WWE do.
They should have done this with Styles. Holy fuck he is awful at promos.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
No Way Out (of Texas). Kane is on the cover looking rad as hell. Oh gosh who will they get to replace HBK????

I've never seen this show yet somehow know its Savio Vega.

This is a well built show though. Every feud makes sense yet they haven't fought twenty times on RAW.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They should have done this with Styles. Holy fuck he is awful at promos.

He's in one of the better main event feuds in recent memory with a guy who is actually worse than he is. It's not always about cutting electric promos.

No Way Out (of Texas). Kane is on the cover looking rad as hell. Oh gosh who will they get to replace HBK????

I've never seen this show yet somehow know its Savio Vega.

This is a well built show though. Every feud makes sense yet they haven't fought twenty times on RAW.
Savio

Boy that reveal was all types of weak.

klonere

Banned
This is the first DG annual cage match I have seen with at least some context. The cage match at Dead or Alive each year seems like a TNA gimmick match - you have six guys who must pin someone first in order to be eligible to climb the cage to retrieve a flag and escape. When it is down to the final two participants they must have scored two pins over the course of the match to be eligible to escape. This year there are also "delegates" on the outside who have been selected through a series of matches beforehand to assist a participant inside the cage. The losing participant ie the last one inside the cage to have not claimed a flag and escaped is either unmasked or is shaved and must stay bald for an entire year.

Now with that out of the way, the match was probably the most amazing piece of wrestling I've ever seen. So many layers, rivalries and emotion. It's a story you've seen many times before, the dominant heel unit that at one stage held nearly all the titles in the promotion is falling apart. The huge egos at the top of unit are clashing, namely Shingo (current WHC equivalent), YAMATO and Doi (both of whom comprise arguably the most dominant tag team in DG history and certainly one of the best in the world). The other members aren't there to take a fall or be the Virgil either: Cyber Kong is the powerhouse enforcer who blindly follows Shingo, Tanizaki is the sleazy, sneaky eminently hateable douche while Kotoka comes across as the earnest rookie who desperately wants to impress Shingo and the rest but simply isn't on their level. Even me, who has missed out on a lot of DG lately (Final Gate 2015 is the last show I really watched) could appreciate the story as it unfolded.

I couldn't call it a good wrestling "match" - it is more or less a pure storytelling device that lasts 46 minutes and managed to keep my attention the entire time. The finishing third of the match definitely was stretched very far out but it was 100% totally earned and added to the emotional impact of the eventual finish. When it was all said and done, even with the Japanese promos it felt like I had watched a few episodes of a drama or the mid-game twist of a Final Fantasy (didn't help that BxB Hulk showed up aka a Nomura design brought to life) instead of a wrestling show.

The show is long and it's honestly a bad recommendation for brand new viewers - there is just far too much to take in and all the delegate matches plus the main event require some foreknowledge to not just understand but to be enjoyable at all. But if you are feeling adventurous, there are two excellent standalone matches on the show, the Brave Gate and Twin Gate title bouts which are highly entertaining for a first time viewer.

Link to the show:

Top Bottom