• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Oh no

Kevin Owens may have suffered an injury towards the end of his match against Sami Zayn at Sunday's WWE live event in Columbia, South Carolina. Sami won the match with a Blue Thunderbomb but as soon as the pin was counted, referee Charles Robinson threw up the dreaded "X" for help from the back and Owens was helped out.

From pw

Oh no

Kevin Owens may have suffered an injury towards the end of his match against Sami Zayn at Sunday's WWE live event in Columbia, South Carolina. Sami won the match with a Blue Thunderbomb but as soon as the pin was counted, referee Charles Robinson threw up the dreaded "X" for help from the back and Owens was helped out.

From pw
He won with the blue Thunderbomb? Real injury confirmed

taLFZwS.jpg

Hex

Banned
Oh no

From pw

The x by itself does not mean anything to be honest, they will work that.
Will see if any reports come out.

bjork

Alright fellows, it's almost time to try and empty this waterbed and try not to cause a flood in my house. I woke up to water near the top of the liner, so it's not looking good. Fingers crossed.

Zach

What happened to that FirePro petition?

Also I don't need it to be a WWE game, just a straight up AKI wrasslin game.
I'm guessing there's not a market for a generic wrassle game with the lovely AKI engine, but I would buy the crap out of that. Give me a large roster of made-up wrestlers that range from serious-looking main eventers to goofy jobbers. And then a decent create-a-wrestler mode. Preferably grounded in reality (I liked Def Jam and All-Stars but prefer the likes of Revenge and No Mercy).

That's kinda my dream game.

klonere

Banned
While I completely understand the lack of cranium shattering chair shots I have to admit, I die a little inside whenever someone breaks out a chair these days and has to poke a guy in the gut with it.

Just thinking back to that Raw segment when "the club" held Roman for Styles to wallop, what would've happened had he actually gone through with the attack? I mighty rib jab? would Gallows and Anderson quickly have swivelled Reigns around for a nice clean back shot? it's just one of those little things that goes against my entire history of built up wrestling logic.

They seem to heavily rely on table spots for big beatdowns nowadays. Back chair shots look 100x dumber on Roman because of his stupid vest thing though, even if they really go at him.

I guess its what all the wrestling pundits and ex-wrestlers say about stuff like that or Hell in a Cell or any sort of stip match nowadays - it doesn't work when you can't reallyhit a dude with a chair or bleed. Speaking from a position of ignorance, I would say blood, whether capsule or blade would be the healthier of the two things to bring back. Look at how it upped the intensity of the Balor/Joe match. Those two are probably going to have a cage match next and it'll be as clean as a whistle and won't live up to the opening moments of the Dallas match and STILL be as hard on their bodies if not more so. Hell, I can still remember my deep disappointment at the Bull Dempsey/Baron Corbin no DQ match, which had been built for months as a conclusive blowoff to a heated feud between two monsters who squashed dudes in seconds. Instead we got some lame ass soft 7 minute fuckery with a single super weak chair jab. Booo!

Then again, like Data points out a lot, Shane at Mania, Kalisto nearly dying at Payback, reverse ranas, Sami's exploder on the ladder to KO, the existence of Dean Ambrose are all acceptable but a piledriver - a relatively common and safe move is banned? The rules are in flux right now post DBry. We are on the precipice of some very disruptive CTE testing getting online that will probably change everything. When they start finding high schoolers with it, swimming is going to become the only acceptable sport to watch and not feel horrible guilt. So even that twinge of "man I really wish he'd just smack him in the head with the chair" is going to be something you'll have to relegate to "will never ever fucking happen again".

Unless it's Taker and Brock.

Hex

Banned
They seem to heavily rely on table spots for big beatdowns nowadays. Back chair shots look 100x dumber on Roman because of his stupid vest thing though, even if they really go at him.

I guess its what all the wrestling pundits and ex-wrestlers say about stuff like that or Hell in a Cell or any sort of stip match nowadays - it doesn't work when you can't reallyhit a dude with a chair or bleed. Speaking from a position of ignorance, I would say blood, whether capsule or blade would be the healthier of the two things to bring back. Look at how it upped the intensity of the Balor/Joe match. Those two are probably going to have a cage match next and it'll be as clean as a whistle and won't live up to the opening moments of the Dallas match and STILL be as hard on their bodies if not more so. Hell, I can still remember my deep disappointment at the Bull Dempsey/Baron Corbin no DQ match, which had been built for months as a conclusive blowoff to a heated feud between two monsters who squashed dudes in seconds. Instead we got some lame ass soft 7 minute fuckery with a single super weak chair jab. Booo!

Then again, like Data points out a lot, Shane at Mania, Kalisto nearly dying at Payback, reverse ranas, Sami's exploder on the ladder to KO, the existence of Dean Ambrose are all acceptable but a piledriver - a relatively common and safe move is banned? The rules are in flux right now post DBry. We are on the precipice of some very disruptive CTE testing getting online that will probably change everything. When they start finding high schoolers with it, swimming is going to become the only acceptable sport to watch and not feel horrible guilt. So even that twinge of "man I really wish he'd just smack him in the head with the chair" is going to be something you'll have to relegate to "will never ever fucking happen again".

Unless it's Taker and Brock.

They still pull off some nasty back shots, and thrown chair shots.

Zach

That RR bit with Rock and Foley is gross. Their conversation in Beyond the Mat right after this is what initially soured me on the Rock. Very unconcerned about a guy he just hit way too many times, even when Foley's saying the spot got messed up.
Yup. That will always be in the back of my mind concerning The Rock. It's messed up.

Zach

While I completely understand the lack of cranium shattering chair shots I have to admit, I die a little inside whenever someone breaks out a chair these days and has to poke a guy in the gut with it.

Just thinking back to that Raw segment when "the club" held Roman for Styles to wallop, what would've happened had he actually gone through with the attack? I mighty rib jab? would Gallows and Anderson quickly have swivelled Reigns around for a nice clean back shot? it's just one of those little things that goes against my entire history of built up wrestling logic.
Yeah, like, don't even bother with weapons if it's gotta be like this. But I wouldn't mind guys just putting their hands up or an arm up or whatever to take a chairshot "to the head." Will someone please teach a class about proper international object technique at the Performance Center already?! >_>

Zach

Alright fellows, it's almost time to try and empty this waterbed and try not to cause a flood in my house. I woke up to water near the top of the liner, so it's not looking good. Fingers crossed.
That sounds terrible. Get a Tuft & Needle, brother.

Zach

I'm all for rare blading when it's appropriate. Like at an Extreme Rulez-themed PPV. Come on. Gotta have blood there.

Striker

The only unprotected chairshot I liked storywise was the one where HBK waffled UT on a Raw in either late 97 or early 98 and the chair bent. UT came up bloody, HBK said "oh shit" and it seemed like it was a legit accident.

That RR bit with Rock and Foley is gross. Their conversation in Beyond the Mat right after this is what initially soured me on the Rock. Very unconcerned about a guy he just hit way too many times, even when Foley's saying the spot got messed up.
Taker wailed on Shawn in that Hell in a Cell match at Badd Blood. Rock getting hit by Austin square in the head is another memorable one for me. That was in the Mankind WWF title win.

I'm all for rare blading when it's appropriate. Like at an Extreme Rulez-themed PPV. Come on. Gotta have blood there.
In chair and kendo stick matches. Blech.

klonere

Banned
Yeah, like, don't even bother with weapons if it's gotta be like this. But I wouldn't mind guys just putting their hands up or an arm up or whatever to take a chairshot "to the head." Will someone please teach a class about proper international object technique at the Performance Center already?! >_>

Sorry, that class was cancelled for "Grabbin that chinlock: The one tool you'll need to be a wrestling heel".

Anth0ny

I'm listening to Lapsed Fan nWo special and really enjoying it. I want to go back and check out their Wrestlemania ones but at 5 hours long, woof.

I'm listening to that one too.

Ending the NWO angle the same way it began at Bash at the Beach would have been too awesome. oh well.

That's the reason I love it. It all adds to the story, brother. Rock went into business for himself. Baby foley and mama foley crying for their father's life. Back when wrestling was REAL.

now it's fucking fake. gross.

of course, I don't think anyone wants constant chairshots to the head, which was a problem with the attitude era and caused some people to killer their family. but in the case of a rock/foley RR99, where the story built and built and built to that I Quit match where they just beat the holy FUCK out of each other... that's when you bust out the chair shots to the head. not on a random smackdown. not for a dumb mid card angle. but for something huge like HBK nailing Taker, like you mentioned.

the "chair shot to the gut" shit they do today is sooooooooo dumb. might as well not even use a chair at that point.

Sephzilla

So, yeah, Doom is the most fun shooter I've played in a long time. And it's old school as fuck in so many good ways

it was more of a fun jab of him not liking anything popular

*or not from Japan

You're still cool in my book, friend Data, even if you don't like the best X-Men movie

klonere

Banned
I'm listening to that one too.

Ending the NWO angle the same way it began at Bash at the Beach would have been too awesome. oh well.

That's the reason I love it. It all adds to the story, brother. Rock went into business for himself. Baby foley and mama foley crying for their father's life. Back when wrestling was REAL.

now it's fucking fake. gross.

of course, I don't think anyone wants constant chairshots to the head, which was a problem with the attitude era and caused some people to killer their family. but in the case of a rock/foley RR99, where the story built and built and built to that I Quit match where they just beat the holy FUCK out of each other... that's when you bust out the chair shots to the head. not on a random smackdown. not for a dumb mid card angle. but for something huge like HBK nailing Taker, like you mentioned.

the "chair shot to the gut" shit they do today is sooooooooo dumb. might as well not even use a chair at that point.

Hard chairshots to the head are like, 425th item on the list that makes wrestling feel "real" if anything it makes it feel super fake because its such a wrestling trope.

There's so much more safer stuff you can do to make it seem real without handing out free concussions. Like selling more. Or updating the way submissions work now that MMA is a very big thing.

*or not from Japan

You're still cool in my book, friend Data, even if you don't like the best X-Men movie

tbf he isn't a fan of the biggest Japanese promotion although that isn't an uncommon view amongst a certain set of puro nerds.

Anth0ny

Why in the hell do they need 5 hours to review ppvs? That's too much imo.

that's what they all say.

until they listen to it.

and realize 5 hours ISN'T ENOUGH.

Hard chairshots to the head are like, 425th item on the list that makes wrestling feel "real" if anything it makes it feel super fake because its such a wrestling trope.

There's so much more safer stuff you can do to make it seem real without handing out free concussions. Like selling more. Or updating the way submissions work now that MMA is a very big thing.

there's nothing more real than the sound of STEEL coming into contact with RAW FLESH

obviously there's a lot they could do to make it feel more real, but I do think chairshots to the head have their place. you'd think by now there'd be such thing as "worked chairs" that make a sickening thud sound but... don't scramble the guy's brains on the receiving end

Portland NXT house show was incredibly fun, and the crowd was really hyped throughout.

Matches:
  • No Way Jose vs. Murphy: NWJ got one of the largest pops of the night, largely due to his entrance theme, which may be the best tune in all of NXT right now.
  • Nia Jax vs. Bayley: In addition to Go Proing her entrance, as mentioned a few pages back, Bayley did her usual entrance with hugs and handing merch to the girls in the crowd, and it was incredible to see live. She's an amazing opportunity for the WWE. Match itself was OK, but Jax is just awful.
  • Austin Aries vs. Mojo Rawley: Bland vs. Bland, and the crowd just despised Rawley. Why is Aries on NXT again?
  • American Alpha vs. The Revival: Match of the night. Just incredible. Both teams are just hot fire, and so fun to watch.
  • Shinsuke Nakamura vs. The Grifter in the largest waste of a match of the night. Samson is just horrendous, and was getting atomic heat from the crowd. 60% of the match was headlocks, with Nak's signature knees and kicks at the end to finish the match. Feels like a waste of Nakamura, although he has tons of charisma live. And that entrance is glorious.
  • Alexa Bliss vs. Asuka: Really fun match, and Bliss has improved so much. Asuka is massively over.
  • Samoa Joe vs. Finn Balor: Great brutal match on both sides, with a tease of a Muscle Buster than Balor escaped. Roll-up finish that led Balor to attack Joe repeatedly after the match, which ultimately brought out a whole bunch of officials, Regal, and the whole men's roster to seperate them several times. You can watch the whole thing at https://youtu.be/iX3lCP9L97Q

Just an excellent time, and I believe all three Pacific Northwest shows sold out, so I hope that means they'll come back again regularly. What a treat.

Anth0ny

Is this the one where Meltzer sometimes will appear and talk?

yes, they get meltzer for 20 or 30 minutes for every wrestlemania and starrcade review.

within every 3+ hour episode, they go over:

-the landscape in pro wrestling at the time (what wwf was doing, what wcw was doing, all story lines leading up to the show)
-personal memories/stories
-what the show ultimately led up to
-fantasy booking
-a crap load of impressions ripping on the carny ass industry that is fake sports
-very detailed break down of the actual show
-readers impressions/memories of the show, which are usually paragraphs long

it helps that both guys are super hardcore, have been watching all their life, and are very passionate about fake sports. they never sound bored and they talk about these shows for 5 hours a week, every week. it's great.

yes, they get meltzer for 20 or 30 minutes for every wrestlemania and starrcade review.

within every 3+ hour episode, they go over:

-the landscape in pro wrestling at the time (what wwf was doing, what wcw was doing, all story lines leading up to the show)
-personal memories/stories
-what the show ultimately led up to
-fantasy booking
-a crap load of impressions ripping on the carny ass industry that is fake sports
-very detailed break down of the actual show
-readers impressions/memories of the show, which are usually paragraphs long

it helps that both guys are super hardcore, have been watching all their life, and are very passionate about fake sports. they never sound bored and they talk about these shows for 5 hours a week, every week. it's great.
I may try one for WM 15 if they have one available. I wish they hsd Meltzer on for SS 98. That's one I feel I can hear a lot of review, opinions, and news on.

Top Bottom