• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

Noooooo not Big Will :(

He's not out of action if that's the worry :/
8hyvjE6.jpg
why do anything, clearly he's been doing the "right" things so far given it got him a 2 year NJ contract

I already fixed it.

And my username is advice to other people. To copy my shit. Cause it's worth copying.

I wrote a review of the demo of AVP2 for 3d action planet back in the day, under my old Dr Foxy handle, and it got horrendously plagiarized by another site who used it as their review of the full game. I was pretty upset by it, but decided to take it as a complement, and then turned it into something arrogant. Because you know, VIDYA GAMES.
If they made money off of it, you could've gotten them hit with credibility backlash.

I just learned Carlito used Tony's theme in WWC. That's really cool.

Mahonay

Banned
why do anything, clearly he's been doing the "right" things so far given it got him a 2 year NJ contract
There's such a thing as a spot being stupid because there's like a 50 percent chance of getting hurt.

That was a stupid spot. Protect yourself. Don't agree to spots like that when you have value just on your name alone.

Question for your indie folks:

If the current crop of fans love good indie wrestlers whom put together solid matches with ring psychology, why do things like CZW still succeed amongst fans? I know some guys have come from CZW, but is this really the only way to get seen?

Mahonay

Banned

If the current crop of fans love good indie wrestlers whom put together solid matches with ring psychology, why do things like CZW still succeed amongst fans? I know some guys have come from CZW, but is this really the only way to get seen?
People who attend CZW shows and people who attend PWG are very different groups. That's a nice way of putting it.

Personally the only thing I love about CZW is just how ridiculous Zandig is. The rest is pretty trash.

CZW finds mild success somehow, if you're a new guy scrapping to get noticed you're going to go wherever you'll get showcased with eyes on you.

Mahonay, that makes sense and what I figured. I don't know why but CZW is just nuts to me, but FMW doesn't bother me as much. Maybe my memory of FMW is hazy since I was exposed to it at 13/14.

Mahonay

Banned
How they didn't convert this into a Network title... or actually have him and Ziggler face off at 'Mania...

zack-ryder-is-internet-champion.jpg
Well considering this was one of the primary reasons he was buried during that run in the first place, WWE definitely weren't interested in using the belt.

Aiii

So not worth it
That was before Vinny Mac realized he could use YouTube as a smokescreen to hide fledgling interest in the product.

Did you know that WWE has 10.000.000 subscribers on YouTube, like Justin Bieber does? Isn't that impressive?

Yes, this is actually something Vince noted on the last stockholders call.

Mahonay

Banned
That was before Vinny Mac realized he could use YouTube as a smokescreen to hide fledgling interest in the product.

Did you know that WWE has 10.000.000 subscribers on YouTube, like Justin Bieber does? Isn't that impressive?

Gotta convince the shareholders that your carney show is actually relevant in the mainstream somehow I guess.

Mahonay

Banned
I can't wait to get into the early parts of ecw but why did Taz name his title that? What was the back story?
It stood for Fuck The World. I forget when he actually made it. He was just a bad mother fucker that suplexed and choked out whoever he felt like. Like Taz would just show up and decimate people, because he could.

It stood for Fuck The World. I forget when he actually made it. He was just a bad mother fucker that suplexed and choked out whoever he felt like. Like Taz would just show up and decimate people, because he could.
I remember seeing this guy as a kid and being amazed at how terrifying he looked. So he shows up in wwf, I knew shit was about to get real with Taz there. 3 months after his debute, he's no where to be seen. I definitely feel like they could've used him so much better but you know the size rule. Despite his Size he was churning mother fuckers in ecw and he could take on anyone. Mike Awesome was a WWF sized person and Taz took him out.

older the berry, sweeter the juice

am I really the thread grandpa?
I think so. Mr. Fantastic is up there too.

I remember seeing this guy as a kid and being amazed at how terrifying he looked. So he shows up in wwf, I knew shit was about to get real with Taz there. 3 months after his debute, he's no where to be seen. I definitely feel like they could've used him so much better but you know the size rule. Despite his Size he was churning mother fuckers in ecw and he could take on anyone. Mike Awesome was a WWF sized person and Taz took him out.

ECW Tazz and WWE Tazz were like jekyll & hyde. I was so hyped when I read Tazz was coming to WWE and then he just stunk it up. I think he definitely fell into the trap of guys who can work well in smaller, lo production environments but once they get to "the big stage" a lot of their appeal and aura go away.

Probably also didn't help Tazz no longer had guys like Sabu to throw around all over the damn place.

Mahonay

Banned

Tazz decided it was a good idea to blatantly no sell everyone's offense as a new guy in WWF. It did not go well for him.

His debut and victory of Angle was awesome, and then it was a steep downhill tumble from there.

shaowebb

ECW Tazz and WWE Tazz were like jekyll & hyde. I was so hyped when I read Tazz was coming to WWE and then he just stunk it up. I think he definitely fell into the trap of guys who can work well in smaller, lo production environments but once they get to "the big stage" a lot of their appeal and aura go away.

Probably also didn't help Tazz no longer had guys like Sabu to throw around all over the damn place.

Didn't Tazz sign with WWE knowing his injuries were catching up to him in hopes of netting the role he eventually landed as commentator? I keep thinking there was talk that he was heading over trying to find some way to stay involved in wrestling with WWE as he played out his last ring years.

Mahonay

Banned
Didn't Tazz sign with WWE knowing his injuries were catching up to him in hopes of netting the role he eventually landed as commentator? I keep thinking there was talk that he was heading over trying to find some way to stay involved in wrestling with WWE as he played out his last ring years.
He was slated to be a legit contender for at least a short time by having him beat Angle on his first time out.

Tazz immediately did not jive well with the in-ring wrestling politics of WWF, and they fast tracked his trajectory to commentary.

CZW's a lot different now than it was a decade ago - since Deej purchased the company it's become less deathmatch focussed and their training school has churned out a number of notable indie talents. When you hear CZW you think of Tournament of Death, Cage of Death and all the gross deathmatch shit that comes with it, but that's only one facet of the promotion now whereas, back in the day, CZW used to be almost entirely deathmatches with some flippy interludes.

*edit, watch this highlight video of CZW in 2015 for an idea of what it's like now;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMfFndQUIGo

enewtabie

Got the wife to watching NXT weekly. I talk a little bit about wrestling everyday to get her a better understanding. However, when it's Wednesday and we are getting ready to watch NXT, her first comments are usually "Is Finn on this one?"

oh well, it's better than your too old to be watching this stuff. She is at least getting into it.

Mahonay

Banned
Got the wife to watching NXT weekly. I talk a little bit about wrestling everyday to get her a better understanding. However, when it's Wednesday and we are getting ready to watch NXT, her first comments are usually "Is Finn on this one?"

oh well, it's better than your too old to be watching this stuff. She is at least getting into it.
Don't worry, my lady is actually very interested in and well versed with pro wrestling, and Finn is her favorite "to watch" as well.

Stupid sexy Finn.

Ithil

Cut him some slack, he had only just heard of youtube five minutes before the call started.

Tazz decided it was a good idea to blatantly no sell everyone's offense as a new guy in WWF. It did not go well for him.

His debut and victory of Angle was awesome, and then it was a steep downhill tumble from there.

He was slated to be a legit contender for at least a short time by having him beat Angle on his first time out.

Tazz immediately did not jive well with the in-ring wrestling politics of WWF, and they fast tracked his trajectory to commentary.
Now all if this makes sense. No selling in wwf is a big no no. I figured they would at least do the Angle and Taz feud that started in Ecw but they waited years later to actually do something more exciting with it. I think they were so hell bent on getting Angle over, it took away from having that big feud with Taz.

klonere

Banned

The house show reports weren't lying about Finn huh

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Finishing up the go home show to WM 14 during my lunch. What a well built card this is turning out to be. Tyson is in DX! McMahon doesn't want Austin to be champ and finally heeled out again! Owen and Chyna with HHH! Rock planting everyone with chairs to the head. Kane getting wild cheers and even wilder boos. NAO being despicable. Hawk and Animal EXPLODE.

Finishing up the go home show to WM 14 during my lunch. What a well built card this is turning out to be. Tyson is in DX! McMahon doesn't want Austin to be champ and finally heeled out again! Owen and Chyna with HHH! Rock planting everyone with chairs to the head. Kane getting wild cheers and even wilder boos. NAO being despicable. Hawk and Animal EXPLODE.
Go home shows were the best because they usually had some crazy shit going on. Like putting the champion in a match where it looks like they could possibly lose buy in reality we know it wouldn't happen. Like the build the previous year when Sid v Taker could've possibly been a regular singles match and Bret v Austin could've been for the title.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Go home shows were the best because they usually had some crazy shit going on. Like putting the champion in a match where it looks like they could possibly lose buy in reality we know it wouldn't happen. Like the build the previous year when Sid v Taker could've possibly been a regular singles match and Bret v Austin could've been for the title.

Yep. Exactly so. I'd say out of all the PPVs I've ever seen this might be the best built one.

Even other really well built PPVs like X-7 have a couple of their matches just form out of nowhere in the last minute while everything here has been going on since at least RR, some as far back as the end of 1997.

klonere

Banned
Not sure what you mean. She thinks Bayley and him would be a cute couple after I showed her the show where they did the Dirty dancing bit.

Oh, that he gets a very enthusiastic reaction from the female side of the audience!

The Bayley thing was great and funnily enough, a lot more entertaining than most of the stuff he has done on NXT TV!

Outlaws putting people in dumpsters is great.main event was so well done

enewtabie

Oh, that he gets a very enthusiastic reaction from the female side of the audience!

The Bayley thing was great and funnily enough, a lot more entertaining than most of the stuff he has done on NXT TV!

Gotcha. Yeah it seems so. I listen to a couple podcasts per week since I drive about 80 miles a day. Sam Roberts, Stone colds 2 podcasts, Jim Ross and Jericho. She likes Stone cold's Network ones, but none of the audio ones. I get it. I can't listen to Jericho unless he has a wrestler on the show. At least I got a commitment from her to go to a show if NXT comes to Raleigh/Greensboro soon.

Yep. Exactly so. I'd say out of all the PPVs I've ever seen this might be the best built one.

Even other really well built PPVs like X-7 have a couple of their matches just form out of nowhere in the last minute while everything here has been going on since at least RR, some as far back as the end of 1997.
When you lay out stories long term, then you get good results. That on the fly shit doesn't work. And they knew they couldn't fuck up with this Tyson situation, that was their saving grace.

Barrage

The builds to WM13 and 14 were incredible. Long term stories building to a climax from the top to the bottom of the card.

Only problem was, the roster was so thin workrate-wise that they still depended on the top of the card to deliver, or those Attitude Era PPVs woulda been shit.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That Ospreay news is TERRIBLE. Fuck.

Also CZW might be "respectable" now but I prefer when it wasn't.

Top Bottom