• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

RBH

On last night's Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer mentioned that he recently got eyes on WWE's ad rates, and he mentioned that despite their viewership and market share (numbers most other cable shows would love), the ad rates they get are still fairly terrible.

He didn't give any specifics on prices, but put forth that the rates are significantly less than that of the UFC, which already gets lower rates than regular cable shows because of the violence factor that comes along with it. This is even more significant because the WWE does a million more viewers each week on average than the UFC, and even more than that for most cable shows which get those higher ad rates.

Dave posits that the WWE gets 1/10th the ad rates than that of a regular cable show, which is down significantly from the past when the WWE would get about half the cost in ad rates than the standard show.

Following this through to TNA, he speaks about ad rates being one of the big factors in Destination America dumping the promotion last year, and may be souring Pop TV on TNA right now. According to PWInsider, the ad rates for Impact are about $350 per 30 second spot, which is very, very low. And because of the revenue share aspect of the TV deal, Pop only sees half of that.

So, long story short: Wrestling fans still have a reputation for being cheap and advertisers aren't willing to spend any real money because of that. Vince's 30 year plan to calling pro wrestling "sports entertainment" has done nothing except bother his actual fans.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...tzer_wwe_ad_rates_are_17th_that_of_ufc_fight/

Hex

Banned
So nothing's changed, then?

At least she is on tv unlike Sasha and others

d3fWO4N.gif

Zach

I've created my WrassleGAF Rumble entrant and he's comin' for you, [Hulk Hogan]!

And I've figured out who Jimmy King entered:

xTv4XsL.jpg

Fantomex

What the hell is wrong with YOU, buddy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evQckDoiNXk

Hugely influential, perfected the 80's tag format, over like rover wherever they went. Watched a match of theirs in Japan from their first ever tour over there, yet the crowd's still screaming "ROCK N ROLL!!" like crazy.

They looked like some middle aged dads that put on spandex and a mullet and decided to jump in the ring. The crowd was rockin!

7 seconds just to coordinate a high five.

KcH1yyk.gif

lol
4bB3vl.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I never knew that. I know wcw did a few exclusive online podcast shows that got lost. Apparently they didn't save them or something. I want to say wwf did a few online streaming ppvs back in 99. Well a few of the ppvs were also online to view. I'm like, wtf? Most Internet was struggling badly.

Kal-el?
I think I had a 28.8K modem back then. I have my doubts.

bjork

Dudes talking about stuff to see in Maui in that hawaii thread has me super bummed. I want to go, but I want to go and stay put. That means leaving everything that's here, behind. But when I think about it, I realize it's not that much keeping me here, and that's a bigger bummer. Think I'll go to sleep instead.

Menome

I hope NXT gives the fans what they need (even if they don't deserve it): A soul-piercing promo from The Drifter. Obviously he shouldn't wrestle tonight considering the way taping happens.

I can handle him not fighting for a week. Builds up the anticipation for another savage bout.

LtoPblC.jpg

CZsx1aE.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
hey guys remember when Owens beat Cena clean a year ago?
good times

Yeah, some of us were worried they didn't leave anything back so Owens couldn't be as important again

Guess we were right to be worried. He's still great, but not working main event.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Well Dana and Becky is the program so why would Paige win? (although last Raw that was like the plan for all the feuds it seemed)

Because I thought Paige was Charlotte's next program after that roll up.

Yeah, some of us were worried they didn't leave anything back so Owens couldn't be as important again

Guess we were right to be worried. He's still great, but not working main event.

Neither was Cena at the time. He's gone from feuding over the US belt to the intercontinental belt. Yes, at the time the US belt was more important than the intercontinental belt, but right now that isn't true. He's still feuding for the second most important belt in the company.

And they still regularly mention how he beat Cena in his first match, without mentioning that Cena won the next few and the feud.

Owens is getting more and more focus and TV time, and he and Sami are going to ride up the card together. I'm not saying he'll be in the main event any time soon... but I wouldn't be surprised if Kevin (or Sami) gets money in the bank this year or next.

Sephzilla

KO is probably my favorite guy on the main roster right now. Dude is entertaining as fuck. He's also one of the few who made it through a Cena feud and didn't become irrelevant as fuck afterwards.

OK, so in the June 89 Clash of the Champions, the Freebirds are coming out to jazzy saxophone rather than Bad Street. Was this their actual music at the time or is it just a terrible dub?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I like doing ones with songs you wouldn't normally hear on wrestling MV's, i.e. no butt rock or nu metal :p

I'll patiently wait for a Suzuki video with some Jean Jacques-Perrey.

Maybe this one...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8AKP4Tw9sE
I fucking love JJP, he's an incredible old man. Did all of it by splicing tapes. Amazing.

And actually it'd work really well with the Mecha Mummy series of matches.

When the Drifter makes his inevitably successful jump to the main roster his gimmick should be leveraged so that he's a special attraction.

Like sometimes he just so happens to be rolling through whatever location the WWE event is taking place at, at most he appears on TV like twice a month and it's an Undertaker like special occasion.

Top Bottom