• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

Sephzilla

Happy Kane-aversary

XXKo0ln.0.gif

Meltz on New Day / AA

Meltzer: "American Alpha is a phenomenal team. When I see them in squash matches they are great. They should be the world tag team champions on the main roster today. I mean, fuck the New Day. I mean, the New Day should be in like the comedy match.The belts don't really matter in their case. American Alpha could be second from top on PPVs against real good heel teams and be effective as hell."

Sephzilla

I love how ratings have the magic ability to becoming meaningless when it doesn't match the agenda of someone's narrative. But when a spike in ratings happens, it's suddenly meaningful again.

While I do agree to a point that ratings aren't as meaningful as they used to be, the progressive deterioration of WWE's ratings over the last couple of years is pretty meaningful.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They have way too many people on the roster when you think about it because the injury bug is about to vanish with Neville, Cena, Orton and Rollins all coming back in like a month.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I love how ratings have the magic ability to becoming meaningless when it doesn't match the agenda of someone's narrative. But when a spike in ratings happens, it's suddenly meaningful again.

While I do agree to a point that ratings aren't as meaningful as they used to be, the progressive deterioration of WWE's ratings over the last couple of years is pretty meaningful.
Spike in ratings isn't meaningful to me either. It's just an exposure, and serves to bring in new fans. In this day and age, there's a lot more to be concerned with that none of the pundits, Meltzer included, talks about. Questions id love to see answered:

What's the average on YouTube video views per week on all of WWE's content?
What's the most popular video this week across WWE channels?
What are the share metrics?
How long do people stay within WWE's YouTube channel? How often do they stay, and for how long?
When do people tune out of popular videos? There are metrics in YouTube that shows when people drop off on a video. Show us.

These are are far more meaningful to me, yet nobody reports it. I think I'll ask Meltzer this as well, because I'd love more coverage.

Aiii

So not worth it
If the ratings are falling that in itself shows you exactly how meaningless YT metrics are. They do not bring in even a single new viewer to the actual programming.

Rmenebe that random raw whenre the New Day best all the babyfaces up. And ppl thought they would turn into a top heel faction

Then the next week it was back to comedy

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If the ratings are falling that in itself shows you exactly how meaningless YT metrics are. They do not bring in even a single new viewer to the actual programming.
To the tv show. But not to the ecosystem. Even if they're not watching tv, they can be buying merch.

You know, if HBK hadn't taken a five year break from wrestling he'd totally have a rematch with Austin as Tyson definitely gave him a fast count on that stunner.
Listening to Dave, he said had Shawn not been injured, Austin would've feuded with DX. No Vince McMahon. What a twist in history.

If anything it harms the product. The end of every match that matters gets posted on the official Youtube account, so do some major backstage segments, and even actual decent promos that aren't aired on TV. I'd wager a decent amount of the views of that stuff are from people who know it shows up there and don't even bother with seeing it on TV. Why spend 3 hours on TV when you can spend a few minutes on the Internet?

Maybe the new viewers are strictly watching clips on Hulu/Youtube. It's not like they can watch it live on the Network. Hard to tell either way.
I miss SoulPlaya
#May19Memories

Actually Net sprung that line for the first time back in 2012, what an enduring legacy.
Good lord

Aiii

So not worth it
To the tv show. But not to the ecosystem. Even if they're not watching tv, they can be buying merch.

Based off of a three minute viewing on YT? I don't buy into this scenario. Merch sales go to the hardcore crowd, not the casual viewer.

Also, how does it look for (potential) advertisers? They are not advertising on YT quick clips, they advertise on the actual programming. 10 million YT subscribers won't sell them a single bottle of Mountain Dew.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Based off of a three minute viewing on YT? I don't buy into this scenario. Merch sales go to the hardcore crowd, not the casual viewer.

Also, how does it look for (potential) advertisers? They are not advertising on YT quick clips, they advertise on the actual programming. 10 million YT subscribers won't sell them a single bottle of Mountain Dew.
Personal experience (I know, means very little) - I have friends into wrestling that don't watch Raw, but buy shirts, mainly. Grown ass people like Zach. Even myself. I rarely watch Raw.

To the point made earlier about it being posted everywhere as soon as it's over, that also keeps people from watching. Hell, I even STOPPED listening to Review-A-Raw because they do a "raw in 3 minutes" show that gets the information across far quicker. And I like their damn show! I just, yknow. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Barrage

Meltzer's a fucking moron. New Day top in merch for all of WM weekend, but they should be in the "comedy match" because AA do ALLA DA MOVES. Get off your soapbox, dummy.

The fact thay he supports the Young Bucks as anything but Panderpoison shows how clueless and easily sucked up to he is.

Aiii

So not worth it
Personal experience (I know, means very little) - I have friends into wrestling that don't watch Raw, but buy shirts, mainly. Grown ass people like Zach. Even myself. I rarely watch Raw.

To the point made earlier about it being posted everywhere as soon as it's over, that also keeps people from watching. Hell, I even STOPPED listening to Review-A-Raw because they do a "raw in 3 minutes" show that gets the information across far quicker. And I like their damn show! I just, yknow. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Well, type not wrong about this, personally, the the minute recap along with a video or two is enough for me as well, but that was kind of my point, it's harming their viewership, because this is how you slowly leave the product behind. I don't even sub to the Network anymore.

You become more and more detached from their product by the week, so to say.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I skipped the Nia Jax match, like I always do. She's really awkward and bad and her character is completely wrong.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I was talking to another person on a different forum about a dream that will probably never come true.

Hechicero in LU as the evil magic lord. He's already got the look. He's already taller than both their 'monsters.' He's already kayfabe evil magic man.

He's also close friends with the head trainer of CMLL though, so that won't happen. Traumas coudl work real well in LU too. And they need hte exposure because they're dope. Maybe Horus can hook em up

Angry Grimace

Meltzer's a fucking moron. New Day top in merch for all of WM weekend, but they should be in the "comedy match" because AA do ALLA DA MOVES. Get off your soapbox, dummy.

The fact thay he supports the Young Bucks as anything but Panderpoison shows how clueless and easily sucked up to he is.

His point is that the titles aren't very important to their act because Meltzer prefers serious non-comedy acts.

Zach

Hey! We're not friends!

Okay, we can be friends again, because I'm a forgiving, wonderful, beautiful man.

And I was thinking just yesterday "man, I have a lot of wrestling shirts. How did this happen?"

Let's take a look:

1. "Simply Ravishing" Rick Rude shirt: My first wrassle shirt. Got it, I dunno, a couple years ago now. As a gift. Because I mentioned how great it was to my lady friend.
2. That goofy cartoon-y Horsemen shirt: Another gift. I never wear it. Mostly because it's smallish.
3. Asuka shirt: Got it out of excitement for attending NXT Dallas. Wore it to the show. It's not very comfortable, though, so I don't wear it.
4. Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat shirt: I got it when I bought the Asuka shirt because it was BOGO or something. I wore it to NXT Tulsa. It's a lot softer than the other shirts, and looks/fits okay, so I wear it a lot. Usually while walking the dog or mowing.

But whatever! This is just a phase, alright? I'm about to grow out of it! I'm all the way to 1999 in my chronological viewings! I'm thirty-one and will not stand for following wrestling at thirty... three.

;_;

Angry Grimace

So would Meltz support a tag team like Cold Cold World from Championship Wrestling from Hollywood. No gimmicks, just straight kicking wrestlers ass

I think he just likes charismatic, serious acts. Like he doesn't seem to care for the Revival all that much because they're just two guys even though they're good at the wrestling part.

Top Bottom