• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

Turner is about to buy them out.

I hope I live to see the downfall of WWE.

I'm sorry, but I do!

#WCW4ever

paVDuuA.jpg

burn baby burn

Damn, definitely a better way to debut a team rather than a taping.

Loving this.

One of my sorta major issues with WWE has been that they seemed to forget how to hype debuts with video packages, only to suddenly remember for bloody Primo & Epico of all people. A guy like Breeze would have benefited a lot of a few videos surely.

Speaking of, that Asuka video from NXT was great.

klonere

Banned
All these American indie nerds talking up Matt Riddle's moveset saying that he does top rope sentons and dives and all that shit when not on Evolve.

The last person on Earth who should be doing stuff like that every match is Matt Riddle. I just want to see him outgrapple everyone like the cockiest little fuck in the world and break some arms, not fail to be caught by some fat cunt Southern indie wrestler. Just stick to what Gabe has you doing basically.

All these American indie nerds talking up Matt Riddle's moveset saying that he does top rope sentons and dives and all that shit when not on Evolve.

The last person on Earth who should be doing stuff like that every match is Matt Riddle. I just want to see him outgrapple everyone like the cockiest little fuck in the world and break some arms, not fail to be caught by some fat cunt Southern indie wrestler. Just stick to what Gabe has you doing basically.

God forbid that you have one character in one company and a different character and war crate in another. Riddle pulling top rope sentons and dives as a prominent member of Catch Point in Evolve makes no sense.

klonere

Banned
God forbid that you have one character in one company and a different character and war crate in another. Riddle pulling top rope sentons and dives as a prominent member of Catch Point in Evolve makes no sense.

This Ospreay news has me down bro. I don't want to think about how instead of talking about "oh look how good he could be in 5 years" and instead "he's going to be legitimately crippled in 5 years". I hope I'm not going to shrivel up into some anti flip old man but right now, I'm not so hot about that whole deal. I'm sure BoSJ will cheer me up.

Figures that Hunter has gotten a load of grapplefuck guys in for the CWC, maybe they realize that style is a better longer term bet to go with.

Southern US indie nerds seem intent on starting beef with Britwres fans for some bizarre reason...sorry our scene's getting more attention, dudes. British wrestling was ignored for decades, but now has enough talent and good promotions to make waves again. I guess it's annoyance that guys like Marty, Zack & Ospreay are doing well for themselves in the US, while legitimately good wrestlers in the southern scene are ignored on a national scale. Guys like Chip Day, Andy Dalton and Jimmy Rave certainly deserve to be in the mix with EVOLVE, PWG, ROH, etc.

The Ospreay news is scary, but hopefully working with New Japan will allow him to dial it back a bit - he doesn't need to go all-out every match and nor will NJPW expect him to.

*edit, good god;

lISrmjp.jpg

What happened to Ospreay?

He's been having nerve problems in his back for a few months and recently one of his feet has been feeling numb as a result - kid needs to take a break, but with the Super Jr's about to start this is the biggest few months of his career and it looks like he's going to work through the injury.

Barrage

In regards to RAWs ratings, you have to keep two things in mind.

1) the VAST majority of television ratings are down, year-over-year-over. RAWs drops are in line with the USA networks general declines.

2) the WWE told the USA network they were immune to this kind of drop due to being live sports programming. They were wrong.

The WWE have to take a hard look at the data in front of them and realize that RAW is watched more like Blacklist than Monday Night Football. People are perfectly with having it recapped the following day on Hulu or Youtube. The urgency is not there.

Now, certainly a lot of the fault lies with WWE, which made most PPVs uneventful during 2015, and transformed RAW into a pseudo-house show.

So they have to either retrain the audience (which will take time), or adapt (as in taping episodes to save money, creating more differences between the RAW hours, whatever they wanna do).

But anyone who says the sky is falling is braindead. Theyre making more revenue than ever in history, its just from less people while and its more expensive products to get that revenue.

And the saddest people are the people who take joy in the ratings fall because "the show sucks". Where was this correlation with ratings and quality when they were making great money with solid ratings during the "Same Old Shit" era?

The ratings might not matter as much as we make them out to be, but they still matter. Raw averaged 5 million viewers a show back in 2012, they've gone down to 3 million and decreasing in just 4 years. That's not good at all.

Pretty much. You can't even compare it to "well, everyone else's ratings are down" because no, in fact, not everyone has lost minimum 2 million viewers in a few years.

In that same time span, the fucking Walking Dead went up 6 million viewers

klonere

Banned
Southern US indie nerds seem intent on starting beef with Britwres fans for some bizarre reason...sorry our scene's getting more attention, dudes. British wrestling was ignored for decades, but now has enough talent and good promotions to make waves again. I guess it's annoyance that guys like Marty, Zack & Ospreay are doing well for themselves in the US, while legitimately good wrestlers in the southern scene are ignored on a national scale. Guys like Chip Day, Andy Dalton and Jimmy Rave certainly deserve to be in the mix with EVOLVE, PWG, ROH, etc.

The Ospreay news is scary, but hopefully working with New Japan will allow him to dial it back a bit - he doesn't need to go all-out every match and nor will NJPW expect him to.

*edit, good god;

That is a HELL of a look. I think I kinda dig it. Total mid life crisis mode.

I've seen a few Chip Day matches and he has a garbage look but he's pretty solid otherwise. I've always heard Jimmy Rave talked about highly never really checked out a lot of his stuff, apparently he has a great match with AJ.

I think the BritWres stuff has the advantage of being really well presented and organized. Like these Southern Indies are UGLY, in an endearing sort of way but still feel indie cheap. Even RPW at its worst is a step above.

The Ospreay stuff is an emotional low after the stretch he had in 2015, when folks like Meltzer were hailing him as the best under-25 wrestler in the world. I get that he doesn't want to lose the opportunities that NJPW is giving him in BoSJ, but it's distressing to consider his current and future health.

I don't know what kind of connection Rave, in particular, has with Sapolsky or Delirious these days. Given that ROH has its own training pipeline, that Evolve is the unofficial entry way for guys WWE-bound, and that PWG only runs indie supershows these days (they're not even booking the SoCal talent as much as they did when they ran more shows), there's not much space for someone in the US southern indies or the midwest indies to break through. AAW is fine, but they're only notable when they're booking Lucha Underground guys. CZW's moved from the deathmatch stuff, but they have very little credibility, even when it's Best of the Best season. The hype for Inspire Pro in Texas has all but dried up. NWA Wildside, where guys like Rave and Kyle Matthews work, is still ticking along, but nobody talks about NWA Wildside because no one can watch NWA Wildside.

Accessibility, as has been pointed out, is an infrastructural issues for the US southern indies. You'd think the NWA would be able to help a little there, but that would require the NWA to be more than just a guy in a one-room office these days. Davey Vega seems to be breaking through a little, but not in a way that a Lio Rush or a Fred Yehi is.

Friend of mine sent me pics. Looked liked the high school shows Flair/Valentine did around here in the 80s.
Lol! You know the worst thing is compared to the 2009 show, it was empty. And this was their second show at ECW. I think with the students being out it hurt the show.

klonere

Banned
I don't know what kind of connection Rave, in particular, has with Sapolsky or Delirious these days. Given that ROH has its own training pipeline, that Evolve is the unofficial entry way for guys WWE-bound, and that PWG only runs indie supershows these days (they're not even booking the SoCal talent as much as they did when they ran more shows), there's not much space for someone in the US southern indies or the midwest indies to break through. AAW is fine, but they're only notable when they're booking Lucha Underground guys. CZW's moved from the deathmatch stuff, but they have very little credibility, even when it's Best of the Best season. The hype for Inspire Pro in Texas has all but dried up. NWA Wildside, where guys like Rave and Kyle Matthews work, is still ticking along, but nobody talks about NWA Wildside because no one can watch NWA Wildside.

Accessibility, as has been pointed out, is an infrastructural issues for the US southern indies. You'd think the NWA would be able to help a little there, but that would require the NWA to be more than just a guy in a one-room office these days. Davey Vega seems to be breaking through a little, but not in a way that a Lio Rush or a Fred Yehi is.

People are really really high on Yehi though. Like as in "best indie wrestler that isn't Chris Hero" high. If Gabe will give me my free fucking VODs I'll watch his last few Evolve matches and see, I have enjoyed his stuff a lot there. Guess I'm not watching all these American indies like you listed to know.

klonere

Banned
Marufuji vs White was excellent. Jay definitely looks like a heavyweight contender and is ready for his excursion right now. Excited to see what he does in the future. Maru played his part perfectly, I honestly would love a longer match between the two.

People are really really high on Yehi though. Like as in "best indie wrestler that isn't Chris Hero" high. If Gabe will give me my free fucking VODs I'll watch his last few Evolve matches and see, I have enjoyed his stuff a lot there. Guess I'm not watching all these American indies like you listed to know.

Nobody, not even Boots, has the time for all that. I just parachute in when I hear there's a great match, like the random AJ Styles vs. Jimmy Rave match from last year or the Kyle Matthews vs. Jimmy Rave match from January 2015 that got some buzz.

It's also a problem of numbers. When you're wrestling in front of near 20 people, as Jimmy Rave and Kyle Matthews do in this match, it's impossible to get the kind of buzz you'd get from even a Florida Evolve show that's attended by 500 people. It's a difference by an order of magnitude at that point.

And Yehi was very good live during WrestleMania weekend.

Rock needs to get some sleep and stop juicing. How many projects does one need to be involved in to be happy? I guess for Rock it's all of them.
The things people will do for money. He's big enough that he can chill and only take requests for awesome movies but I think he wants to stay relevant.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Kinda loving that Matt Hardy look. I know he's capable of being appropriately hammy with it too.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The things people will do for money. He's big enough that he can chill and only take requests for awesome movies but I think he wants to stay relevant.

The actual answer is probably that he's smart enough to know action stars have a short shelf life.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The more I think about it the more I prefer Matt Hardy to Jeff. He's just...so PRO WRESTLING.

Boots, what's this beef with I'm assuming Mid-South and Britwres?

Top Bottom