• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

Fox318

EDP does wrasslin videos?!
ooh.png

lUMuoOk.png

He makes his own shirts

Absolutely agree with this. WWE has been for the longest time, and continues to be, singularly focused. Every guy on the roster that is built up is eventually being built for one guy. Once that one guy has his way with him, WWE discards them like yesterday's garbage. It was Cena, and now it's Roman.

They are getting only slightly better at it, but it's still a major problem. It's the fatal flaw in building the entire promotion around one unbeatable guy.

It's not even building the promotion around a single guy - the promotion was built all around Hulk Hogan for six years. No matter the revisionist history, the WWE was built around Austin the entire time he wasn't injured and a top face.

But, that didn't stop from writing stuff for people to do once the top face beat them. I mean, Steve Austin beat Dude Love right in the middle of the ring, with every thing against him. But, then, they did other stuff with Foley. Same thing with say, Andre the Giant. Hulk slammed and pinned him and they did other stuff with him.

It's not even building the promotion around a single guy - the promotion was built all around Hulk Hogan for six years. No matter the revisionist history, the WWE was built around Austin the entire time he wasn't injured and a top face.

But, that didn't stop from writing stuff for people to do once the top face beat them. I mean, Steve Austin beat Dude Love right in the middle of the ring, with every thing against him. But, then, they did other stuff with Foley. Same thing with say, Andre the Giant. Hulk slammed and pinned him and they did other stuff with him.

Yes, I get that. My point is that WWE has built around one guy AND had a singular focus. They are getting better at it (like I mentioned with the IC Title stuff), but it's still a big problem.

In the same mind, it's not an enjoyable experience to see a guy you like rise up the ranks when you know there's a pre-established ceiling for how high he can go and if he gets over with everyone he's likely to end up fodder for the guy on top.

I don't agree with "single guy". WWE knows what it's doing with Cena. WWE knows what it's doing with Reigns. WWE knows what it's doing with HHH. And when he's around, WWE knows what it's doing with Rock.

They flatout don't think about any one else. Period. 95 percent of those rewrites that always happen every week is because everything and everyone else is expendable on a good day. Those four guys, they spend months to a year thinking of what's coming next for them. I'd be shocked if they give people like Cesaro even half an hour of thought. They sure as shit don't give Bray even 5 minutes, or he isn't booked even close to the way he consistently is.

It's hard to not laugh at basically every clusterfuck situation the company is put in or puts itself in. Every backstage news is comedy, every rant, every instance of incompetence, every release, every public fuckup. They don't care about it or anyone, so why should we? At this point, schadenfreude is the only genuine thing they have left to provide. And it won't change because there will never be another company that stumbles into enough success that WCW had for a couple years to put enough competitive fear in their hearts to change.

If we all put our money together, we can build a decent company to compete with WWE. We can even get Jr and Cornette to do commentary. Obviously D'Lo would be our champion.

That women's title finish was the hottest garbage of the whole night though. Like goddamn guys would it kill you to give your champion even the slightest bit of credibility.

What DC is doing to Alan Moore is what Vince is doing to anyone who made a name for themselves outside of WWE. First Bryan, then AJ, then Seth, then Finn, then Nakamura, then Joe, then Tanahashi, then the entire LU roster. Maybe he'll buy Punk, just for shits n giggles.

That women's title finish was the hottest garbage of the whole night though. Like goddamn guys would it kill you to give your champion even the slightest bit of credibility.
Woulda been nice if they had Charlotte win clean, then she gets cocky about it and starts telling Ric "how bout you sit this one out" until he gets mad about her disrespect and slaps her, and then she wrecks him and takes off the training wheels

Man God

Non-Canon Member

This is actually classic Dusty booking Flair in the late eighties JCP. It's poetic in a way.

Woulda been nice if they had Charlotte win clean, then she gets cocky about it and starts telling Ric "how bout you sit this one out" until he gets mad about her disrespect and slaps her, and then she wrecks him and takes off the training wheels

Instead we'll get Charlotte matches with Dana interference as opposed to Ric interference. New stories, guys!

Summerslam can't come soon enough.

JambiBum

You know, I actually liked Roman's power bomb thing way more than the spear or superman punch and wish he would use that as a finisher instead. At least without the stupid tongue out head bang he did during the pin. Roman's mic skills might be kind of dog shit, but he is capable of putting on good matches with the right people. I just wish he would use a finisher that fits him more instead of the garbage he does now.

I honestly think I'd be less mad about the women's division if they just publicly said fuck it, put Ric Flair in drag, and had him win the damn belt and hold it for a year. It'd essentially be the same thing without the constant fuck finishes coming with it

Keep Bayley away from this shit at all costs

He's either head booker or champ. Pick one.

450full-glenn-gilbertti.jpg

You know, I actually liked Roman's power bomb thing way more than the spear or superman punch and wish he would use that as a finisher instead. At least without the stupid tongue out head bang he did during the pin. Roman's mic skills might be kind of dog shit, but he is capable of putting on good matches with the right people. I just wish he would use a finisher that fits him more instead of the garbage he does now.

Not everyone is small enough for Roman to pick up. He struggles.

What DC is doing to Alan Moore is what Vince is doing to anyone who made a name for themselves outside of WWE. First Bryan, then AJ, then Seth, then Finn, then Nakamura, then Joe, then Tanahashi, then the entire LU roster. Maybe he'll buy Punk, just for shits n giggles.

Can't complain about a pimp when the hoes willingly sign the contract.

It was that bad huh?

The IC match was match of the night easily, the other stuff varied from alright to bad to one of the worst PPV matches of the year (Starring Dean Ambrose too!) That said, most of the stuff was only ruined by dumb finishes and funnily enough the Ambrose match actually had a good finish, probably the only notable one of the night

Barrage

The best booked WWE PPV in years.

Rusev-Kalisto? Booked perfectly. Every match advanced a story or had the right person won (minus the Women's match). Now workrate-wise? Not so much. Asylum match was shit but it had a great ending. Luckily the PPV had two killer matches.

Anyone who is even pretending that main event wasnt excellent should stop watching wrestling. It's too late for you. If you hate Riegns that much, you've looped around and become a mark again.That match was fucking great.

The best booked WWE PPV in years.

Rusev-Kalisto? Booked perfectly. Every match advanced a story or had the right person won (minus the Women's match). Now workrate-wise? Not so much. Asylum match was shit but it had a great ending. Luckily the PPV had two killer matches.

Anyone who is even pretending that main event wasnt excellent should stop watching wrestling. It's too late for you. If you hate Riegns that much, you've looped around and become a mark again.That match was fucking great.
The only match booked correctly was the Natty/Charlotte match.
Natty as women's champ? Lol
Hit the boat.

You really didn't think this post trough, did you?

Cody Rhodes, Daniel Bryan, Shinksuke Nakamura, and AJ Styles were all of sound mind and body when they signed their WWE contract. They made the choice, knowing full well who Vince McMahon is.

So, yeah, sorry, no sympathy for them. Vince McMahon is going to wring every dollar out of them he can and doesn't care about their future health or how they'll be feeling about their choice at 55. But again, they knew that.

I got sympathy for actual victims or people actually stuck in horrible working conditions, but nobody on the WWE roster is a victim. They signed up to be used by Vince McMahon and Vince is going to use them.

Haven't watched their stupid PPV yet but man this Cody stuff has me so down. :(

I can't believe he was being forced to be Stardust, I honestly thought he was doing it out of his own desire, surely no one could go out there each week and do that good a job of being such a stupid joke character and it not be his own idea??? That's how good Cody was. >_>

How did they not just smell money and say Cody, go out there and read that letter as a promo, shoot that shit, you know he could have done it, he is fantastic on the mic but was never even given a chance. Why are they so afraid of an anti-establishment characters now? Probably worried it would actually get over and take away from their beloved Roman plans no one cares about?

:|

So angry.

I assumed he denied a token main event run when his Dad died cause thats the kind of guy he is, but by the sounds of it they never even offered one for him to take or deny? Wow.

It was only a matter of time, I honestly don't know how people like Ziggler etc go out there every week and do the same shit over and over without going insane. I guess its hard to just quit what you know and a steady pay cheque to leap into another life.

Angry and just sad, sad that so much of the joke shit we assume with the useless writers/HHH/Vince etc sounds like it is actual reality.

Top Bottom