• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

Hex

Banned
Why is everyone mad that AJ Styles lost to the spear? Everyone should kick out of finishers now? Finishers should be devalued? I'm so confused.

It was a good set up and a great visual, it landed clean and AJ sold it like a champ.
What people are mad at is that Reigns just has the shit beat out of him with a chair and still shrugged it off to hit the spear.

It was a good set up and a great visual, it landed clean and AJ sold it like a champ.
What people are mad at is that Reigns just has the shit beat out of him with a chair and still shrugged it off to hit the spear.

Chair shots haven't meant much in a No DQ match in WWE for years.

Kevin Owens is 100% winning MITB right?

Just has to.

He is tailor-made to be the heel MITB dickhead. It will be glorious.

Owens takes the briefcase, literally right out of Sami's hands and pushes him of the ladder to win.

Why is everyone mad that AJ Styles lost to the spear? Everyone should kick out of finishers now? Finishers should be devalued? I'm so confused.
Styles hit him with a styles clash, then one on a chair and beat him with one five times for a two count. Reigns hits one spear after all that for a three. Fuck outta here with that, Cena primes levels of bullshit.

Heroman

Banned

Because roman kick out of a phenomenal forearm, two styles clashes (1 on the chair), a Magic Killer, 5+ chair shots while aj lost to one spear. It makes aj look weak.

Styles hit him with a styles clash, then one on a chair and beat him with one five times for a two count. Reigns hits one spear after all that for a three. Fuck outta here with that.

Styles Clash isn't a finisher. Let's get mad when people kick out of Sami Zayn's Blue Thunder Bomb if that's the argument you're gonna use.

klonere

Banned
Because roman kick out of a phenomenal forearm, two styles clashes (1 on the chair), a Magic Killer, 5+ chair shots while aj lost to one spear. It makes aj look weak.

More like they got the best wrestler in the world right now to put over Roman's stuff like death and the best wrestler in the world did his damn job to the best of his abilities. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm not sure what people were expecting. Kicking out of the spear would have meant nothing.

Nothing means anything in WWE. Remember that people.

Fox318

There was a lot of shooting last night

Corbin wearing pants with shell holders
New Day talking about #Shootlyfe
Nattie going for a single and double leg working for the armbar
Dean and Y2J threatened to use a shoot plant in a shoot
Roman getting shot on by the crowd

Fox318

Its so blatently sad and obvious when Cass and Dana get these crazy pushes out of the gate.

All that new era shit yet if you have the look thats all that matters to Vince.

Browny

Banned
In hindsight, if everyone had known from the beginning that almost every man and his dog was doing to kick out of the Styles Clash, it would have been better for AJ not to have used it at all. Never. Not even a tease.

He's got the Calf Crusher, a bad-ass 450 and now the forearm. He should have left the Clash at home.

Edit: also, happy Monday everybody...

Zach

Funny that anyone argues that this is fine. It's really stupid, if you care about AJ Styles and co. coming out of the PPV whole.

Reigns winning with that excellent spear is not the problem. I'm the guy that says finishers should be finishers.

But I guess they're just gonna keep expecting to get Reigns over with the fans who loudly boo him by making him kill capable dudes, while he also kicks out of multiple finish-worthy moments.

Just seems like a dumb strategy if your expected endgame is a perennial babyface champ Reigns.

Heroman

Banned
More like they got the best wrestler in the world right now to put over Roman's stuff like death and the best wrestler in the world did his damn job to the best of his abilities. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm not sure what people were expecting. Kicking out of the spear would have meant nothing.

Nothing means anything in WWE. Remember that people.

There were ways better for them to put over roman in this match, when you do like this you take the believably out of the match which is the biggest sin of a pro wrestling match.

It's not a bad thing to have another unique move in the arsenal. It's just better to have a finisher that can be used on everyone easily and with minimal setup. Nowadays your finisher has to have an "out of nowhere!" element.

There were ways better for them to put over roman in this match, when you do like this you take the believably out of the match which is the biggest sin of a pro wrestling match.

This argument works if it could be believed that there would be similar complaints if AJ won the same way.

klonere

Banned

You wanted a WWE Extreme Rules match in 2016 to be believable? Two huge table spots, Roman smashing AJ off the apron and barricades, Roman selling his knee big for a second only to pop up and hit a crucifix sit out powerbomb? The whole match was a fun romp that was highly entertaining but believable is the last thing you should be looking to get from it.

The springboard into spear was probably the most believable spot in the whole match tbh

The whole "he's like Super Cena!!!" thing is unfair. Reigns sold the damage after the spear. He collapsed on AJ for the pin and couldn't even really get up when the belt was given to him. If it were Cena, he would have jumped up after hitting the finish, done a normal pin and ran around the ring smiling and celebrating.

Cagey

Banned
Funny that anyone argues that this is fine. It's really stupid, if you care about AJ Styles and co. coming out of the PPV whole.

Reigns winning with that excellent spear is not the problem. I'm the guy that says finishers should be finishers.

But I guess they're just gonna keep expecting to get Reigns over with the fans who loudly boo him by making him kill capable dudes, while he also kicks out of multiple finish-worthy moments.

Just seems like a dumb strategy if your expected endgame is a perennial babyface champ Reigns.
You're right in a broader sense. The match in general made Styles and Reigns feel invincible to the point where any one move wouldn't feel like enough unless it was a headshot. They ate a million high impact moves each. Sure, some were outside the ring, but still.

I can't lie...even though I love both guys and think their chemistry is fantastic, but Styles/Reigns had a slight Richards v. Edwards feel by the end.

Fox318

It's not a bad thing to have another unique move in the arsenal. It's just better to have a finisher that can be used on everyone easily and with minimal setup. Nowadays your finisher has to have an "out of nowhere!" element.

That's a holdover mentality from the 90s.

Finishers can have entire matches built around it and some of the best have.

Bret with the sharpshooter is a perfect example of that.

Hex

Banned
I think people are just looking for reasons now.
AJ made Reigns look damned good while still looking good himself.
Though when AJ started making the faces waiting for Roman to get up I almost lost it

The whole "he's like Super Cena!!!" thing is unfair. Reigns sold the damage after the spear. He collapsed on AJ for the pin and couldn't even really get up when the belt was given to him. If it were Cena, he would have jumped up after hitting the finish, done a normal pin and ran around the ring smiling and celebrating.
Is this reigns gaf account?

KyroLen

Neo Member
Y'know, to those that use "you'll be here next week" as a rebuttal when people say they are done watching WWE, you may be partially right. In my case, I tuned out after SuperRoman won at WM for awhile but have since tuned back in due to KO, AJ Styles, and Zayn among others. But my enthusiasm for wrestling is all but gone, I enjoy a group of guys on the roster and their matches but in order to watch that I have to sit through piles of dog crap like the lack of ability to tell decent storylines and build a multitude of proper feuds as well as the SUPERMAN booking of Roman Reigns.

I mean, sure WWE got my $10 bucks for Extreme Rules and Payback, but they did so at the expense for me being enthused about wrestling. Been a huge fan since I was a kid, started watching during the Hart/Austin feud, first time I watched was when Austin attacked Hart in an Ambulance on RAW. I had a passion for wrestling, it was must see, I would happily dish out the $60 back in the day to catch a PPV. But now? Now it's more of a chore to watch, I have no passion for it whatsoever, and I blame Roman, Cena, Vince and the writing staff for that.

Just how many finishers did Roman eat last night? Got The Club's finisher, kicked out. Got the Clash and kicked out, so got the Clash on a friggin CHAIR! And... kicked out. That spot really irks me, it would have made more sense for one of those bland Uso's to actually pull AJ out of the ring, not distrupt him for all of 2 seconds and have Roman no sell the chair finisher.

He sold the damage? Really, and maybe I'm misremembering from having a couple drinks during that make Roman look strong fest last night, but I recall him taking all that damage to still kick out and win and then have Seth Rollins hit his finisher and Roman still didn't completely stay down!! He starting to get back up before flopping back down, is that good selling? He just supposedly went through a hell of a match, and eats another finisher from a fresh Rollins, he should have stayed completely motionless on the ground and sold what he just went through.

God, Roman is such garbage.

Cagey

Banned
Y'know, to those that use "you'll be here next week" as a rebuttal when people say they are done watching WWE, you may be partially right. In my case, I tuned out after SuperRoman won at WM for awhile but have since tuned back in due to KO, AJ Styles, and Zayn among others. But my enthusiasm for wrestling is all but gone, I enjoy a group of guys on the roster and their matches but in order to watch that I have to sit through piles of dog crap like the lack of ability to tell decent storylines and build a multitude of proper feuds as well as the SUPERMAN booking of Roman Reigns.

I mean, sure WWE got my $10 bucks for Extreme Rules and Payback, but they did so at the expense for me being enthused about wrestling. Been a huge fan since I was a kid, started watching during the Hart/Austin feud, first time I watched was when Austin attacked Hart in an Ambulance on RAW. I had a passion for wrestling, it was must see, I would happily dish out the $60 back in the day to catch a PPV. But now? Now it's more of a chore to watch, I have no passion for it whatsoever, and I blame Roman, Cena, Vince and the writing staff for that.

Just how many finishers did Roman eat last night? Got The Club's finisher, kicked out. Got the Clash and kicked out, so got the Clash on a friggin CHAIR! And... kicked out. That spot really irks me, it would have made more sense for one of those bland Uso's to actually pull AJ out of the ring, not distrupt him for all of 2 seconds and have Roman no sell the chair finisher.

He sold the damage? Really, and maybe I'm misremembering from having a couple drinks during that make Roman look strong fest last night, but I recall him taking all that damage to still kick out and win and then have Seth Rollins hit his finisher and Roman still didn't completely stay down!! He starting to get back up before flopping back down, is that good selling? He just supposedly went through a hell of a match, and eats another finisher from a fresh Rollins, he should have stayed completely motionless on the ground and sold what he just went through.

The Styles Clash is not a finisher. The Styles Clash on a chair is not a finisher, either. It's just a signature move. It's his White Noise. His Superman Punch. His Big Swing.

Styles ate two tables, three powerbombs, a spear, a bunch of Uso superkicks.... a second spear midair ended it.

This is WWE big fight booking. This isn't too surprising.

I think it was after kicking out of the StyleClash on the chair that Roman is more worried about fixing his hair than he is about selling.

Cody quit?

Here's part of his leaving statement:

In the past six months, I had pleaded with WWE Creative and both of my bosses to let me roll the dice and once again be Cody Rhodes. I had pitched to every writer on staff like a door-to-door salesman on “how” & “why” & “when”…and believe me, there are many of those who sought to help me (Brian James, Nick, Faz, J Russo, Dave K, JBL & Cole for letting me go wild on their YouTube show and a few others I’m sure), but for all that both “head writers” of RAW & Smackdown (one pretending to be Brian Gewirtz and the other too busy hitting on developmental divas) continued to not return my pitches or emails, and in face-to-face encounters tried to big league me by pretending to be on their clearly powered off laptops…barely willing to listen to an idea I considered beneficial to more than one talent.

Anyone know who the creepo is?

I guess here are my impressions for Extreme Rules:

- Guess Big Cass is the next big thing the way he's been beating everyone up. It was bound to happen but maybe it's too soon.

- Don't care about Ziggler and now don't care about Baron Corbin.

- Nice but average match between Usos and G&A. The right team won.

- Glad Rusev won. A bit awkward when it came to halting the match to check on Kalisto. I mean, why not disqualify Rusev if he keeps ignoring the referee's orders? I actually would've been OK with that but Rusev being champ is fine too. Just in time to lose it to Cena.

- While I would've wanted the Vaudevillians to win, I don't mind The New Day retaining. I just hated Xavier kicking out of the Whirley Dervish. A lot of "finishers" getting kicked out tonight.

- Fatal 4 Way was the best match of the night in my eyes. Glad the result ended that way. Miz is great at being a heel champ and also more fuel to this Sami/KO fued.

- This gimmick cage match went on waaaaaaay too long. The last 5 minutes kind of almost made it up and Jericho sold it beautifully. Still, the payoff didn't make up for the 15+ minute snoozefest.

- While it be nice for their to be a decisive decision in a Women's Championship match, I mean I can accept this. After all, Charlotte is the daughter of the dirtiest player in the game. I guess Dana will be paired with Charlotte now.

- AJ and Roman had another stellar main event. Say what you will about Reigns but he can hang with the best of them. Of course, he had the roof crash down on him and it took one spear to take out AJ. I would've been okay with the end if 2 Style Clashes, a Magic Killer, and handful of chair shots didn't happen in the previous 2 minutes.

UberTag

Kevin Owens is 100% winning MITB right?

Just has to.

He is tailor-made to be the heel MITB dickhead. It will be glorious.

Owens takes the briefcase, literally right out of Sami's hands and pushes him of the ladder to win.
It's booking that makes the most sense... IF WWE wants to toss the hardcore crowd a carrot.
Vince could easily fuck things up, though. You should be worried if Big Cass is in that match.

Here's part of his leaving statement:

In the past six months, I had pleaded with WWE Creative and both of my bosses to let me roll the dice and once again be Cody Rhodes. I had pitched to every writer on staff like a door-to-door salesman on “how” & “why” & “when”…and believe me, there are many of those who sought to help me (Brian James, Nick, Faz, J Russo, Dave K, JBL & Cole for letting me go wild on their YouTube show and a few others I’m sure), but for all that both “head writers” of RAW & Smackdown (one pretending to be Brian Gewirtz and the other too busy hitting on developmental divas) continued to not return my pitches or emails, and in face-to-face encounters tried to big league me by pretending to be on their clearly powered off laptops…barely willing to listen to an idea I considered beneficial to more than one talent.

Anyone know who the creepo is?

Meltzer: "The first time I read i was going God, you are going against Ed Kosky and Ryan Ward something fierce, which those are the guys he is mentioning. Those are the guys who he is saying blew everything. He would come up with an idea and they were on their computer screens, but the computer isn't even on. But anyway I am reading this and going, Dude, it's Vince McMahon. Those writers they can pitch for stuff, but unless Vince says something they can't really do anything. He got his turn (back to Cody) nixed by Vince."

Raw64life

Woods kicking out of the Whirling Dervish tells you that the Vaudevillans are headed straight to Los Matadors status after this feud is over.

klonere

Banned
Rollups, Big Shows Punch, Reigns Spear, Brocks F5 and the careerfinisher, the burial by commentators.

Spear has been kicked out of by Lesnar and Ambrose (!!), F5 was been kicked out of by Cena, Undertaker, Reigns.

The rollup remains the most devastating move in the WWE.

Meltzer: "The first time I read i was going God, you are going against Ed Kosky and Ryan Ward something fierce, which those are the guys he is mentioning. Those are the guys who he is saying blew everything. He would come up with an idea and they were on their computer screens, but the computer isn't even on. But anyway I am reading this and going, Dude, it's Vince McMahon. Those writers they can pitch for stuff, but unless Vince says something they can't really do anything. He got his turn (back to Cody) nixed by Vince."

Dave was thinking Cody was looking for a main event push (which he said was his long term goal) but I'm pretty sure all he wanted was to not be Stardust anymore, in any role. The writers didn't even give him the time of day for anything he put forward, implying it never even got back to Vince, according to Cody.

KyroLen

Neo Member
Any news on Wyatt or Enzo's return?

Will be interesting to see how they play Rollins/Reigns on RAW tonight as well as AJ Styles and what his next program will be, involving The Club no doubt.

UberTag

Woods kicking out of the Whirling Dervish tells you that the Vaudevillans are headed straight to Los Matadors status after this feud is over.
This was always going to be the case.
They're going nowhere as a tag team... that said, I think Aiden's doing enough work to make a favorable impression with this opportunity to help land him a decent mid-card singles push someday.

Only thing on RAW I'm keeping my eyes peeled for is who the candidates to sabotage Owens' deserved briefcase push will be.
Big Cass seems likely. But curious as to whether there will be any others.

Spear has been kicked out of by Lesnar and Ambrose (!!), F5 was been kicked out of by Cena, Undertaker, Reigns.

The rollup remains the most devastating move in the WWE.

Dave was thinking Cody was looking for a main event push (which he said was his long term goal) but I'm pretty sure all he wanted was to not be Stardust anymore, in any role. The writers didn't even give him the time of day for anything he put forward, implying it never even got back to Vince, according to Cody.
When did Ambrose kick out of a spear?

Is NJPW booking in bizarro world right now for the fucking BOSJ?

It's looking like they don't want to play their hand too early, so I'd presume that pretty much everyone (except maybe David) is going to get one win in the early stages. That way it won't be as clear who's making a run to the finals, even though we can probably guess from the way the last few days of the tour have been set up.

Top Bottom