• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

Sephzilla

There is no need to project.

Wins in Sports do matter. Wins in a live action cartoon tv show with made up characters don't. Not to me they don't. This is one aspect of the cult of wrestling that I don't understand; seemingly because said cult takes this far too seriously

It even matters in fiction. Dark Knight Rises is considered the weakest out of the three Nolan Batman movies. It's also the only one of the three where Batman takes 50/50 booking with the villain.

#WinsMatter

Because his role is to put over folks worse than him. Because they 50/50 booked him vs someone so stale that no one knows why he shows up. Because he has more losses than wins since his debut and no wins in the main event to legitimize his claim to be at the top of the card in the eyes of folks too oblivious to anything outside WWE to know his history. Because they have buried his finisher which is one of the most over moves in the industry. Because they are making it seem like even with help and chairs he can't touch WWE main eventers and dies to a single finish where as those folks get to kick out of his at 1.5.

AJ's job is apparently just going to be to give matches that look amazing to folks WWE wants over so that their guys get over. They'll do their best to forget AJ after he does his job and just ride off of the top tier performances he gives in selling to try to get folks to believe in whoever they actually want up there.

He's just here so he's not building up the competition instead IMO. Same as Nakamura. Had those two stayed in NJPW with their new online subscription stuff catching on and them getting pushed as a product on TV I believe they would slowly steal away Vince's thunder as people kept getting repeat incredible performances...and NJPW will likely still do a lot of that even without them given their card and Naito's recent thunder.

Like I said lat night, I knew at his age WWE would never do anything with him, and he knows that. Im just happy hes getting healthy paydays. He deserves it. Dude has given so much to wrestling.

4 people bailing in the span of a few weeks (Cody asked for his release, Rhodes asked for his release, Ryback walked out, Swagger drove off pissed last night) is pretty significant for the company. At the very least this is TNA levels of denial, saying "everything's fine, morale is good"

This is what I meant. Where theres smoke there fire, and you have to look at whats going on, and not dismiss it. For people to walk away from money, it doesn't make sense.

4 people bailing in the span of a few weeks (Cody asked for his release, Rhodes asked for his release, Ryback walked out, Swagger drove off pissed last night) is pretty significant for the company. At the very least this is TNA levels of denial, saying "everything's fine, morale is good"
Wait, where'd you hear about Swaggy? This isn't good.

Gurrry

Because his role is to put over folks worse than him. Because they 50/50 booked him vs someone so stale that no one knows why he shows up. Because he has more losses than wins since his debut and no wins in the main event to legitimize his claim to be at the top of the card in the eyes of folks too oblivious to anything outside WWE to know his history. Because they have buried his finisher which is one of the most over moves in the industry. Because they are making it seem like even with help and chairs he can't touch WWE main eventers and dies to a single finish where as those folks get to kick out of his at 1.5.

AJ's job is apparently just going to be to give matches that look amazing to folks WWE wants over so that their guys get over. They'll do their best to forget AJ after he does his job and just ride off of the top tier performances he gives in selling to try to get folks to believe in whoever they actually want up there.

He's just here so he's not building up the competition instead IMO. Same as Nakamura. Had those two stayed in NJPW with their new online subscription stuff catching on and them getting pushed as a product on TV I believe they would slowly steal away Vince's thunder as people kept getting repeat incredible performances...and NJPW will likely still do a lot of that even without them given their card and Naito's recent thunder.

I see alot of that too, youre right. However, given the performances he puts on... He deserves to be in the main event picture every time there is a spot for it.

I really hope they dont view AJ as the stepping stone for Vince's guys.. but the way you lay it out, it sure does make it seem that way.

TBH, I could go for another AJ vs Roman. But I dont think we get that again for awhile.

Bandini

I normally go to bed around 9:45 and catch the rest of the PPV the next day, but I watched all of Extreme Rules last night, so I guess it was pretty good. The IC match was fantastic.

Can't believe people want Seth to be a face. I hope he's even more slimy and underhanded than before his injury. Heels are more fun. Bring back J&J while you're at it.

Zach

I've been secretly watching Black Mirror behind 1999 wrestling's back. Anyone watch it? I'm through five episodes and it's good if you're into sci-fi-y, Twilight Zone-ish shenanigans.

You actually have more than one moveset? I heard your just do armbar takedown.
But I do many variations of the armbar takedown.

Top rope armbar takedown.
Russian armbar takedown.
Jumping armbar takedown.
Backdrop armbar takedown.
Tabletop armbar takedown.
Drop toe hold armbar takedown.
Reverse double underhook armbar takedown.
Fujiwa armbar takedown.
Standing dragon sleeper into armbar takedown.
Armbar takedown.
Middle rope armbar takedown.
Apron armbar takedown with elbow smash.
Boot to the gut armbar takedown.
Armbar takedownterminator.
Flipping armbar takedown.
High spring armbar takedown.
Vaulting armbar takedown.
Roll up armbar takedown.

shaowebb

I see alot of that too, youre right. However, given the performances he puts on... He deserves to be in the main event picture every time there is a spot for it.

I really hope they dont view AJ as the stepping stone for Vince's guys.. but the way you lay it out, it sure does make it seem that way.

TBH, I could go for another AJ vs Roman. But I dont think we get that again for awhile.

It is that way. This year is already planned out on paper. AJ is not meant for the main title nor do I feel they'll even give him any titles. He will be used to put over as many dying areas of the card as he can. Anyone that isn't as over as they want them to be they will push with him. I think that may have been why they 50/50 booked him to Jericho...to try and rebuild Jericho to use on the other side of the card as a tweener for folks to get draw matches with off of his name. It didn't really put Jericho back over though...just put AJ more under. Only plus was they were able to use Jericho to try and compensate for AJ on the mic. They went for the same with Miz and I wouldn't doubt if AJ ended up back vs Miz after this or at least circling around the likes of Cesaro, Zayn, and Owens who are also in that hunt.

Generally, I feel that if they booked Zayn, Cesaro, Owens and Styles in 1 on 1 matches instead of all these multiman things it'd puff up the appearance of the WWE ppv quality a good bit. Gallows and Anderson will likely try to give even more life to the tag scene so that it doesn't just fall onto New Day to carry that part of the show but really I think folks will just be hoping for AJ or Balor when they are out there is why they'll be over initially. Dont be surprised if this is what happens soon as they got their intended top card back on active duty and try to start spreading out all these top performers to draw subscriptions to PPV.

Overall, given the environment I'd say AJ has at least 2 years before he'd seriously be put behind any real attempts to put the main title on him. He's just in a role right now to put over the main event and other guys to rebuild the roster in the eyes of fans.

Finn's getting called up, Cena's coming back, Nakamura's getting called up to job to Reigns. There's not going to be room for everyone until the next big wave of injuries

UberTag

Overall, given the environment I'd say AJ has at least 2 years before he'd seriously be put behind any real attempts to put the main title on him. He's just in a role right now to put over the main event and other guys to rebuild the roster in the eyes of fans.
Rebuild "the roster" or build up future opponents of Reigns & Cena by making them look like a million bucks before they get to feed the chosen ones?

I've been secretly watching Black Mirror behind 1999 wrestling's back. Anyone watch it? I'm through five episodes and it's good if you're into sci-fi-y, Twilight Zone-ish shenanigans.

It's been on my to-do list for years as a fan of Charlie Brooker's other work.

Zach

Look, when a match ends, I don't paint a picture of whether said match winds up being a good or bad match solely on the back of whether i agree with who won or loss. I just don't.

Are there people who do this?

If a match, in the grand scheme of things and from a storytelling point of view, puts someone over, because of the in-ring psychology, acrobatics, and story that is sold without words, then I am good. AJ is over despite two losses in a row against Roman. From a writing pov, his loss did not play into why people will love him. It will be his acrobatics, risks, stunts...whatever! You strip creative away, and the story told in that ring last night stands on its own. That's why I could not care less about scripted wins and losses. That aspect of the show is for the spectacle. Some people like the circus around the in ring story telling, I get it. It is part of the package, but not inherently important as it is watching these performers do these amazing things. Not to me at least. I can be invested in the performers because of what they bring to the table, not because of how they are booked. It's why Brey and Rollins are over. It's why AJ is over.

But if you like a guy and want to see him more, you want him to win. Because if he's winning, you don't have to worry about him going away.

And I'd say losing sends a negative message to most fans, and that could be detrimental to the performer long term.

Which leads me to my last point re: simulated sports vs sports. There is a huge difference outside the obvious. Competition is not centered around storytelling though each respective teams and or athletes bring a personal story with them. It is much different and bringing the two in a conversation is meaningless false equivalency.

This is the frustrating thing. There is a difference between real and simulated sports. But with simulated sports, you should always get the best outcome. You should always get a logical outcome that leads to bigger, better, more exciting things. I'm not sure that always happens with WWE. They seem aimless a lot of the time.

It even matters in fiction. Dark Knight Rises is considered the weakest out of the three Nolan Batman movies. It's also the only one of the three where Batman takes 50/50 booking with the villain.

#WinsMatter
I like this post. Only thing is, I thought it was great to see Bats lose then win later on
Made it interesting seeing as he's so powerful. In wrestling though.......

shaowebb

Rebuild "the roster" or build up future opponents of Reigns & Cena by making them look like a million bucks before they get to feed the chosen ones?

I assure you I meant the latter. They will be used to build up future opponents of Reigns & Cena by doing what they do in the ring to convince fans that those wrestlers are actually good even though it will be folks like AJ carrying their asses.

If we're lucky they may just get better in the ring though for having that kind of roster to help them learn what they need to be doing. I know AJ was calling a LOT of spots for Reigns at that PPV. You could catch occassional talking. Maybe some of the folks they get fed to will actually turn out decent after a year or so of this. Its stupid though...they should be pushing the best performers, not using them to try and pretend their guys are good in the ring when they get carried.

XenoRaven

All these employees being asked to release should tell you all there is something going on. Where theres smoke there fire. WWE needs to look at what they need to do better.
Honestly, what's going on is they signed a bunch of CAW looking dudes because they refused to hire indies, trained them in the "WWE style" and nothing else and most of them turned out to be mediocre at best. Meanwhile, WWE changes it's stance on indie guys, starts hiring the best and most experienced of the bunch, and suddenly these WWE lifers no longer have a place because they suck.

Cena excelled, Orton excelled, Miz excelled, Dolph survived, Bray survived, Kofi survived. The rest have been culled, and the WWE is better for it. I say this as someone who likes Cody and Ryback.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Pretty sure he is gonna have it by Summerslam. Either that, or he wins the MITB again. Although, id rather see KO with the briefcase.

Speaking of MITB, this is one of my favorite PPV's of the year. In my opinion, the briefcase is the 2nd most important "title" on the show. 90% of the time, the person who wins it, goes on to do something big. (as long as your name isnt Damien Sandow)

So... AJ, KO, or Seth. I feel like one of them are gonna get it.

I'm thinking Roman/Seth gonna have the title match at MITB. MITB is gonna be an old boy like Del Rio or Cena and everyone will boo.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think the New Day match would have been better with it had been given any time or layout. That Asylum match was a total drag on the whole show.

And again, I'm not going to say I like Roman, but I think he is a solid performer and he has found his character now. It just took 18 months of dick jokes to figure out he needs to wrestle like he's a big guy (he is huge compared to the normal roster) and he needs to act like a big tough badass.

The PPV OT thread last night turned into a series of "FUCK THIS COMPANY" in a blink of an eye after Roman got the 1, 2, 3.

If I like a guy and want to see him more, then I'll buy his T-Shirt, so he gets booked to win. if he doesn't, and he leaves, I'll just watch him there. For me, nothing changes.
Fuck this company.

Zach

The PPV OT thread last night turned into a series of "FUCK THIS COMPANY" in a blink of an eye after Roman got the 1, 2, 3.

But would they say it was a bad match? I thought that was what we were talking about.

Can't you like a match, but be disappointed with the direction of the company (i.e. the outcome of a match, or the execution of the outcome of a match)?

Thought AJ vs Roman was excellent, finish included - it didn't matter to me that Roman kicked out of so much shit, they've already devalued the Styles Clash and one important aspect I think people are overlooking is that AJ took a ton of damage. The moment after that back-bodydrop on the announce table, AJ was selling like he had very little left in the tank - Roman came across like a beast who picked his moments well and punished Styles. He had a lot of AJ's moves scouted, whereas AJ could hardly scout moves Roman had never used before, like the Black Tiger Bomb. Karl & Doc didn't appear until it became increasingly obvious that AJ was struggling, while The Usos pulling Styles out of the ring as he made the cover demonstrated that he very well might have won, if not for their intervention. As great as the 4-way match was, this one was my favourite of the night, in spite of those awful "you can't wrestle" chants.

kiguel182

Then we may be agreeing more than we think because if I understand what you just said, wins and losses, being a part of the process, is a part of the sum, a means to an end, if you will. I think there is a profound distinction pointing out, for example, that booking is important versus saying win/loss is important.

Look, when a match ends, I don't paint a picture of whether said match winds up being a good or bad match solely on the back of whether i agree with who won or loss. I just don't. If a match, in the grand scheme of things and from a storytelling point of view, puts someone over, because of the in-ring psychology, acrobatics, and story that is sold without words, then I am good. AJ is over despite two losses in a row against Roman. From a writing pov, his loss did not play into why people will love him. It will be his acrobatics, risks, stunts...whatever! You strip creative away, and the story told in that ring last night stands on its own. That's why I could not care less about scripted wins and losses. That aspect of the show is for the spectacle. Some people like the circus around the in ring story telling, I get it. It is part of the package, but not inherently important as it is watching these performers do these amazing things. Not to me at least. I can be invested in the performers because of what they bring to the table, not because of how they are booked. It's why Brey and Rollins are over. It's why AJ is over.

Which leads me to my last point re: simulated sports vs sports. There is a huge difference outside the obvious. Competition is not centered around storytelling though each respective teams and or athletes bring a personal story with them. It is much different and bringing the two in a conversation is meaningless false equivalency.

I'm not saying that wins and losses are all that matter. I agree with you there. But I can't say that they don't matter. They matter a lot.

Real competition is more and more about the story behind the match. UFC tries to tell a story and then it is solved in the ring. WWE has an unique vehicle to emulate this and, in the end, decide the outcome to the story. Outcomes matter. If you never create a satisfying outcome then people will tune out.

I'm not telling you how to enjoy the show. But from a basic story line point of view you can't just concentrate on the journey and say the ending doesn't matter. It might not matter to you but it does matter for most people.

Endings in stories are important and can soil what came before if botched I guess is my point. They aren't the be all and end all but they matter in every storytelling medium so they also matter in wrestling since it is a story driven medium as well (or tries to be in the WWE at least)

UberTag

People who hate the WWE and continue to watch are the WWE's primary target demographic. They were doing the exact same thing when every show ended with Cena's theme song, too.

Problem with is, from my standpoint, is that you won't bring in anyone new and you'll eventually burn the remaining loyalists away. Because even they won't stick around for matches like last night's IC title schmoz and its amazing workrate when they wake up to the reality that none of these guys are going to be given the credit that they're due in the land of 50/50 booking and perpetual status quo. It's a booking philosophy built on ever-diminishing returns.

THERE HE IS!

Cutie
😘

Damn, even Swagger is tired of Dolph's matches.
Rofl! Swagger should start shooting on everyone backstage. Dude is probably the best pure wrestler on the roster and he's just sitting down collecting a damn check. I hate this shit. I've watched Cody go and Swaggy possibly, this is so great. Two of my favourite guys who are great, reduced to nothing. You'd think wwe would take care of their guys instead of catering to these indy geeks who bodies are brittle as fucking peanuts. Respect my damn boys you motherfuckers.

Zach

while The Usos pulling Styles out of the ring as he made the cover demonstrated that he very well might have won, if not for their intervention.

My biggest complaint (only complaint?) about the finish was that Styles wasn't distracted long enough. The distraction seemed insignificant, so I don't really buy it as meaningful to the outcome. And this could actually be AJ's fault. Dude was lightning-fast in kicking Uso #2 and then making the cover.

😘

Rofl! Swagger should start shooting on everyone backstage. Dude is probably the best pure wrestler on the roster and he's just sitting down collecting a damn check. I hate this shit. I've watched Cody go and Swaggy possibly, this is so great. Two of my favourite guys who are great, reduced to nothing. You'd think wwe would take care of their guys instead of catering to these indy geeks who bodies are brittle as fucking peanuts. Respect my damn boys you motherfuckers.
Swagger has the physical gifts and skill to be some Kurt/Brock hybrid but he could never translate any of it into the ring, screw Swagger.

Now that Seth Kun is back there is only one thing I want to see.

Another segment with the New Day.

new%20day%20gif.gif

Shame they're faces and Seth is..... Well, against Roman.

Thought AJ vs Roman was excellent, finish included - it didn't matter to me that Roman kicked out of so much shit, they've already devalued the Styles Clash and one important aspect I think people are overlooking is that AJ took a ton of damage. The moment after that back-bodydrop on the announce table, AJ was selling like he had very little left in the tank - Roman came across like a beast who picked his moments well and punished Styles. He had a lot of AJ's moves scouted, whereas AJ could hardly scout moves Roman had never used before, like the Black Tiger Bomb. Karl & Doc didn't appear until it became increasingly obvious that AJ was struggling, while The Usos pulling Styles out of the ring as he made the cover demonstrated that he very well might have won, if not for their intervention. As great as the 4-way match was, this one was my favourite of the night, in spite of those awful "you can't wrestle" chants.
Excellent analysis boots.
��

Swaggs and Cody are favorites? :scust:

Edit: They both had really good themes. Cesaro should inherit one of them.

Top Bottom