• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Contrasting two people who will never have another WWE paid main event

"Paid" added in because some of you still think Raw/SD/other meaningless shows main events are main events

The only way Gallows can ever be called a main eventer so I see why they're being that pukingly overgenerous

ItusMIP.gif

DMczaf

When talking about AJ's losing streak Meltz said "they have big big plans for AJ"

they are going to try to re-re-recreate the DBry Experience. :|

kiguel182

I mean, Crews has absolutely no heat right now so it's no surprise that Jericho won. He needs a change to his character badly. "Hi I'm Apollo Crews and I'm just happy to be here" is not a gimmick.

Yeah, he needs something more. I think he has tons of potential but he is not doing nothing with it right now.

But creative also doesn't give him anything so dunno.

I thought that was Crews saying I'm Sorry because he fucked up the spot

Alot of time has passed and it is easier to look back on things from different views instead of as a worker thinking that it could happen to them next.

Maybe. It looked like Jericho to me but that makes sense.

Remember when Vince was at the Dallas Takeover watching the whole thing

And the people he thought "let's call them up immediately, these guys are going to be big" about...were Corbin and Apollo. And HHH said "sure why not" without protest

And those two bosses are the ones you trust to not fuck up Styles? To not fuck up Nakamura? To not fuck up Finn or Bayley? Hooooooooooooooly shit the war's already lost and every battle has been a blowout. You're already dead

Since the next big AJPW show is tomorrow, I watched the Champion Carnival finals between Daisuke Sekimoto and Zeus this morning. The first half of the match can be generously called methodical, but the second half really picks up. Sekimoto's facial expressions are, as usual, terrific, while Zeus has possibly the spot of the year:
And here's the card for tomorrow's show:

AJPW "SUPER POWER SERIES 2016", 25.05.2016
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

• Osamu Nishimura, Ryuji Hijikata & SUSHI vs. Masanobu Fuchi, Atsushi Maruyama & Koji Iwamoto
  • Shuji Ishikawa & Ryouji Sai vs. Naoya Nomura & Hikaru Sato
  • Kengo Mashimo vs. Jake Lee
  • Axe Bombers vs. AJ Rangers: Takao Omori, Isami Kodaka , Yuko Miyamoto & Kazuhiro Tamura vs. AJ Ranger White (Jun Akiyama), AJ Ranger Red (Yohei Nakajima), AJ Ranger Blue (Yuma Aoyagi) & AJ Ranger Green (Shigehiro Irie)
  • AJPW World Jr. Heavyweight Title: Atsushi Aoki (c) vs. Masashi Takeda
  • Zeus vs. Yuji Okabayashi
  • Triple Crown: Kento Miyahara (c) vs. Daisuke Sekimoto

The infusion of BJW talent into the card really makes it pop, and Kengo Mashimo vs. Jake Lee should be a surprising match. The AJ Rangers are a silly fun comedy midcard act:
CiCRBNGXIAESaHb.jpg

But those two top matches in Zeus vs. Okabayashi and Miyahara vs. Sekimoto should be really, really good. I hope this gets taped and finds it way to a RealHero PuroDrop.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Meltzer just said "wow I think Sheamus ad-libbed that line about how Zayn isn't from this country and Renee didn't know how to react!"

Renee actually said, in response "well I'm from Cana-" before Sheamus cut her off.

And the people he thought "let's call them up immediately, these guys are going to be big" about...were Corbin and Apollo. And HHH said "sure why not" without protest

And those two bosses are the ones you trust to not fuck up Styles? To not fuck up Nakamura? To not fuck up Finn or Bayley? Hooooooooooooooly shit the war's already lost and every battle has been a blowout. You're already dead
Vince and Hunter are both retards if you clearly thought either one of them were ready. And the fact that Trips not even protesting that is clearly absurd.

klonere

Banned
Since the next big AJPW show is tomorrow, I watched the Champion Carnival finals between Daisuke Sekimoto and Zeus this morning. The first half of the match can be generously called methodical, but the second half really picks up. Sekimoto's facial expressions are, as usual, terrific, while Zeus has possibly the spot of the year:

And here's the card for tomorrow's show:

AJPW "SUPER POWER SERIES 2016", 25.05.2016
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

• Osamu Nishimura, Ryuji Hijikata & SUSHI vs. Masanobu Fuchi, Atsushi Maruyama & Koji Iwamoto
  • Shuji Ishikawa & Ryouji Sai vs. Naoya Nomura & Hikaru Sato
  • Kengo Mashimo vs. Jake Lee
  • Axe Bombers vs. AJ Rangers: Takao Omori, Isami Kodaka , Yuko Miyamoto & Kazuhiro Tamura vs. AJ Ranger White (Jun Akiyama), AJ Ranger Red (Yohei Nakajima), AJ Ranger Blue (Yuma Aoyagi) & AJ Ranger Green (Shigehiro Irie)
  • AJPW World Jr. Heavyweight Title: Atsushi Aoki (c) vs. Masashi Takeda
  • Zeus vs. Yuji Okabayashi
  • Triple Crown: Kento Miyahara (c) vs. Daisuke Sekimoto

The infusion of BJW talent into the card really makes it pop, and Kengo Mashimo vs. Jake Lee should be a surprising match. The AJ Rangers are a silly fun comedy midcard act:
CiCRBNGXIAESaHb.jpg

But those two top matches in Zeus vs. Okabayashi and Miyahara vs. Sekimoto should be really, really good. I hope this gets taped and finds it way to a RealHero PuroDrop.

I knew you'd like Zeus Sekimoto. I'm not sure if Okabayashi lariating Hama's ass is a better spot that how Zeus dealt with that enzuigiri but its still a super smart little thing.

So how long do we have to wait to actually see this AJPW show that happens tomorrow? I can't wait to be inevitably spoiled on the results. As you said yourself I can't believe I've gotten so much into AJPW recently, I had totally written them off post Suwama injury and that miserable attendance for Miyahara's title win.

Strax

I think with Corbin it was more like "We've invested 4 years in him and we have injuries"
Personally I think NXT should have a hard "release or put on WWE TV" rule after 3 years or 4 years if you've never wrestled before like Corbin.

Maybe even a shorter time.

I knew you'd like Zeus Sekimoto. I'm not sure if Okabayashi lariating Hama's ass is a better spot that how Zeus dealt with that enzuigiri but its still a super smart little thing.

So how long do we have to wait to actually see this AJPW show that happens tomorrow? I can't wait to be inevitably spoiled on the results. As you said yourself I can't believe I've gotten so much into AJPW recently, I had totally written them off post Suwama injury and that miserable attendance for Miyahara's title win.

The Wrestle-1 title change has me curious, since I loved Yuji Hino as the champion. But that also betrays my ignorance about KAI.

Data's pessimism about NJPW aside, I'd still rank the Japanese companies in terms of my current interest:

1. NJPW
2. AJPW
3. Dragon Gate (Dead or Alive 2016 was one of the most accessible Dragon Gate shows I've seen in a while.)
4. Wrestle-1
5. DDT

NOAH's Suzuki-gun problem just drags it down, and I'm not getting the spark from its junior division that would normally be there.

Also, can Boots or someone repost that gif of Okabayashi lariating Hama's ass on the top rope?

I think with Corbin it was more like "We've invested 4 years in him and we have injuries"
Personally I think NXT should have a hard "release or put on WWE TV" rule after 3 years or 4 years if you've never wrestled before like Corbin.

Maybe even a shorter time.

In the case of him and Apollo I'd pick "release"

Apollo Crews is clearly not ready, and I don't know if he'll ever be for the WWE main roster. Give him back to the indies, especially if you're about to pick up Moose (which will just make having him around even more irrelevant already), and move on.

Corbin has always sucked, move on. If the best you have to intro someone is a Dolph feud, they're already stuck in the Tyler Breeze limbo hell. The ceiling for him is so low you're hitting your head walking in the door. He's never improving.

The Wrestle-1 title change has me curious, since I loved Yuji Hino as the champion. But that also betrays my ignorance about KAI.

Data's pessimism about NJPW aside, I'd still rank the Japanese companies in terms of my current interest:

1. NJPW
2. AJPW
3. Dragon Gate (Dead or Alive 2016 was one of the most accessible Dragon Gate shows I've seen in a while.)
4. Wrestle-1
5. DDT

This is basically my ranking although I probably have DDT in 3rd. Good when it needs to be, funny/entertaining almost always. That's important

I hope New Japan does anything interesting with NOAH soon. Suzukigun isn't enough anymore

Jamie OD

KAI's become kind of a goofy character. Like he hadn't really found his personality until now but even then it's not something that makes him look like a big deal.

UberTag

Seth had a killer promo. I loved how it just slowly turned through his time in the ring. Wondering if the backstage bit with Steph means a face turn is coming.
'Fraid not buddy boy. The reason there was tension between Steph and Seth in that promo wasn't because "a face turn is coming for Seth". There was tension because STEPHANIE IS NOW A FACE. She's a good guy. We're supposed to love and revere her. She will slap him in the future because he's a heel. She just emasculates a different group of people on the roster now. That's all.

I'm over Enzo already. It's a bit of the New Day syndrome where things just get shown every night and get boring after a while. They need to keep it more fresh.
You're watching the wrong show if you want "fresh" on a regular basis.

I think Luke Gallows is directly responsible for the likes of Ryback, Barrett, Rhodes, potentially Swagger all leaving. They saw a guy who was going nowhere in WWE go to NJPW, not even be that good there but still get over because NJPW is awesome and then get a boatload of money from WWE.
The legacy of Festus. Triple H set a TERRIBLE precedent with that little blunder and it's going to cost him. Don't blame any of those guys for feeling slighted after giving the WWE the best years of their respective careers and then getting jilted like a forgotten prom date for Festus.

klonere

Banned

1. NJPW
2. AJPW
4. Wrestle-1
5. DDT

NOAH's Suzuki-gun problem just drags it down, and I'm not getting the spark from its junior division that would normally be there.

Also, can Boots or someone repost that gif of Okabayashi lariating Hama's ass on the top rope?

I have not watched a lot of DDT or W-1 but my ranking would probably be

1. NJPW
2. Dragon Gate (the Cage match is fresh in my memory still so that kinda puts it over AJPW)
3. AJPW
4. DDT
5. W-1 I guess?

NOAH is dying a death right now, to think I was so excited about it coming out of Destiny 2015. God did they fuck up afterwards, they should have completely broken up Suzuki-gun by the end of February max. The crowds are back the anesthetized NOAH standard as well while AJPW and DG don't even have to try anymore on that front it seems.

Tom Nook

Watched bits and pieces of RAW just for the MiTB qualifiers.

WTF? AJ vs Owens off the bat? That's like Stone Cold vs Lesner at King of the Ring......

Hopefully AJ vs the club feud will turn into a AJ vs Balor feud.

For MITB: Sami Zayn vs. Cesaro vs. Chris Jericho vs. Dean Ambrose vs. Kevin Owens vs. 2 Other Superstars TBD

I want AJ and Balor for the other 2 spots and Owens to be winner of that match.

Owens cashing in at WM.

KAI's become kind of a goofy character. Like he hadn't really found his personality until now but even then it's not something that makes him look like a big deal.

I'll track the title change down and give it a shot, but this is disappointing because Hino felt like a champion. He's as beefy as the BJW hosses, he has a "take no shit" attitude in the ring befitting a champion, and he move around the ring well. He felt like Wrestle-1's big deal, so I hope Mutoh knows what he's doing with switching the belt to KAI on Hino's third defense.

Gurrry

Whats really fucking stupid about keeping Seth heel..

Here we have the babyface that no one wants and gets booed to shit in Roman Reigns.

And now hes gonna go against the heel who everyone loves and will cheer in Seth Rollins.

So basically, everything is opposite of how its supposed to be.

Fantastic booking WWE. How do you do it?!?!?!

klonere

Banned
I'll track the title change down and give it a shot, but this is disappointing because Hino felt like a champion. He's as beefy as the BJW hosses, he has a "take no shit" attitude in the ring befitting a champion, and he move around the ring well. He felt like Wrestle-1's big deal, so I hope Mutoh knows what he's doing with switching the belt to KAI on Hino's third defense.

It'll will be equally as interesting to see if this W-1/AJPW show will mean anything in the future or if it will just be a one off. If there is one thing the Japanese scene definitely needs its some consolidation of feds to focus resources.

UberTag

Whats really fucking stupid about keeping Seth heel..

Here we have the babyface that no one wants and gets booed to shit in Roman Reigns.

And now hes gonna go against the heel who everyone loves and will cheer in Seth Rollins.

So basically, everything is opposite of how its supposed to be.

Fantastic booking WWE. How do you do it?!?!?!
The real question is why anyone expected they would do something different.

I mean, Crews has absolutely no heat right now so it's no surprise that Jericho won. He needs a change to his character badly. "Hi I'm Apollo Crews and I'm just happy to be here" is not a gimmick.
That was The New Day's entire gimmick for about 3 months.

It'll will be equally as interesting to see if this W-1/AJPW show will mean anything in the future or if it will just be a one off. If there is one thing the Japanese scene definitely needs its some consolidation of feds to focus resources.

I go back and forth on consolidation. Combining these wrestlers into a company could mean that younger guys don't get the shots at rising above their station. If Shiozaki and others stuck around AJPW, we probably wouldn't have gotten the Miyahara run or the BJW collaboration. There's some good to come out of the puro splintering.

Gurrry

The real question is why anyone expected they would do something different.

Well you would think Rollins would be a little pissed that his best buds Steph and HHH just gave away the title once he got hurt and completely forgot about him.

But nah, instead, hes there trying to hug Stephanie and telling her he missed them so much.

Nothing makes sense.

The fact that they think their keeping kayfabe with Rollins remaining as a heel is just as stupid as him not caring that Stephanie and HHH fucked him over a zillion times.

Gurrry

The other thing:

WWE has no top faces or top heels right now.

Yet, they could totally have that if they just did what fans wanted by turning Reigns full heel and Rollins full face. Boom, there you go.

Instead, were gonna cheer the heel who talks shit to us in promos and boo Roman when he.. well.. does anything.

UberTag

WWE's top faces right now (in their minds) = Roman Reigns / Stephanie McMahon
WWE's top heels right now (in their minds) = Seth Rollins / Charlotte

If feels like NJPW wants to establish LIJ before bringing Suzuki-vin back. I would convert Lions Gate into NOAH and have it be NXTesq.

Dream WK card

Suzuki vs Naito-IWGP TITLE
Okada vs Shibata -IC TITLE
Omega vs Shiozaki- Never Title

bjork

Watched bits and pieces of RAW just for the MiTB qualifiers.

WTF? AJ vs Owens off the bat? That's like Stone Cold vs Lesner at King of the Ring......

Hopefully AJ vs the club feud will turn into a AJ vs Balor feud.

For MITB: Sami Zayn vs. Cesaro vs. Chris Jericho vs. Dean Ambrose vs. Kevin Owens vs. 2 Other Superstars TBD

I want AJ and Balor for the other 2 spots and Owens to be winner of that match.

Owens cashing in at WM.

"I don't want a title shot, I want the Undertaker"

Top Bottom