• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

If Vince had those numbers today with a younger audience as rates wouldn't be so shitty.

This is another thing people whitewashing the disaster that is their current audience numbers ignore: beyond the fact that millions have confirmed left (and left for good) over the last few (2-3) years, something that straight up doesn't happen with other shows in the same time span (Walking Dead and Game of Thrones for example), the few that remain cause the ad rates to be poor. They're not buying the products, so they're scaring off advertisers.

Wrestling is consistently one of the poorest products to advertise for during airings, to the point where TNA's name is so tainted legitimately any of us could buy at least one ad airing during Impact on POP. It's only around $250 to $300 for 30 seconds, so at most $100 for 10 seconds

That's not good. That is far from good. That is universes away from being good. You can only ignore a problem for so long. And yes, it is a problem.

BFIB

Vince-Russo-hubimg.jpg

Bro, what's up with that picture bro?

If GAF pooled together... $30 a week for a month, could we buy TNA?

We'll have stables based on Nintendo, Sony and MS. Somebody can have a move called the Bomba. It'll be great.

UberTag

Meltzer says WWE would lose $26-30M if they went to 2 hour Raws.

Just to drive home how much WWE will never go away from 3 hour Raws.
How much extra money would they get if they made Smackdown 3 hours instead of 2 hours?
Or how about making RAW 4 hours instead of 3 hours?
Or how about adding a third live show later in the week in Smackdown's old timeslot? Maybe a 3-hour weekly NXT show?

Let's see how far we can stretch this quantity vs. quality dynamic.

XenoRaven

How much extra money would they get if they made Smackdown 3 hours instead of 2 hours?
Or how about adding a third live show later in the week in Smackdown's old timeslot? Maybe a 3-hour weekly NXT show?

Yeah I can't believe they don't have any educated and experienced professionals doing a cost/benefit analysis of the number/length of their television programs.

klonere

Banned
Nobody cares about NOAH so I'm just going to spoil this.

Marufuji and fucking YANO just beat KES (totally dominant heel champs) in a match that was more or less a 1 v 2 from Marufuji.

Make Marufuji look strong Jado.

I totally called Marufuji and the Sublime Master Thief taking the belts, NOAH is such trash at present, but the strong booking of K.E.S. was one of the high points. The weird thing with NOAH is that I just don't understand what the point of it all is - what value do Bushiroad see in the promotion beyond having a place to send guys they've got nothing for (like Suzuki-gun) and using their young boys on Lion's Gate shows? I guess the deal with NTV must be worth something, but it still seems to me they'd be better off ending it already and taking the best talent for New Japan.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
NOAH is still around because Japanese promotions don't know how to die anymore unless they regularly book Tajiri. That's the only way they can die now. As proven by AJPW.

NJPW would have to do the most cherry picking to bring people over if they did. Juniors they could be a little more open because they need a junior roster ,but there's tons of independent junior top tier wrestlers they could go after but don't. So they don't seem interested. Kenou seems like the only obvious sign there, and I don't even know if they think of him as obvious. What would you do with Go in NJPW? I would have put him in the Sanada spot, but now they have Sanada. They already have the 'legendary gaijin protege/failed ace of our competition' spot filled. Sugiura would be nice to have some matches in NEVER, but he'd likely fall into the same trap as Nagata, Tenzan, Kojima of just being occasional oldhead sticking around.

Like Kenou is the only really obvious one to me. Nakajima's a great wrestler, but that's basically another Go in the personality department. And no one wants that.

I still think Go is WWE bound soon.

Nakajima I'd put in Shibata's current role of NEVER feuds with the 3rd gen guys, then push Shibata further up the pecking order. Kenou & Harada I'd have for the Jr's, Kenou could have such an awesome match with KUSHIDA I'm sure - maybe bring Kotoge along, as much as I find him bland and uninspiring, so we can get a native Jr. tag team in NJPW again. Go...add him to CHAOS as Goto's tag partner, I guess.

The biggest problem would be re-introducing Suzuki-gun, can't have 3 heel stables at once - I thought they'd split up in NOAH at some point, but it just seems to keep on going and going.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wouldn't reintroduce Suzuki-gun at all. I'd bring back Suzuki and that's it. The rest can go get bookings in like Akebono's promotion or something. Iizuka can fuck off forever. I'd bring in Ohara as Kenou's mouthpiece/manager/occasional tag partner since he's much better at the charisma thing than any of NJPW's current juniors and that way Kenou can continue to be the badass samurai/punk thing while Ohara works the crowd. I'd make Kenou a big deal coming in.

I'd throw the junior heavyweight tag titles into the river.

It's funny that Wrestle-1, despite being the typical butt of jokes and having a weird roster, has been more entertaining all year than NOAH. NOAH might have bigger crowds, but you can watch a Wrestle-1 crowd vs a NOAH crowd and the W-1 crowd look way, way more into it.

Iizuka's probably got a job for life, unfortunately - he's Nagata's boy. A few years back Honma pitched the idea of him and some of the other jobbers doing a 'save Iizuka campaign', to bring him back to how he used to be before he went nuts.

Not so keen on the new DG stable name, but it alludes to Kzy & BxB's old tag pairing. Can't wait to see the King of Gate show from today;
Kzy beat Shingo
!

klonere

Banned
Iizuka's probably got a job for life, unfortunately - he's Nagata's boy. A few years back Honma pitched the idea of him and some of the other jobbers doing a 'save Iizuka campaign', to bring him back to how he used to be before he went nuts.

Not so keen on the new DG stable name, but it alludes to Kzy & BxB's old tag pairing. Can't wait to see the King of Gate show from today;
Kzy beat Shingo
!

NOAH seems like a dumpster fire.

Oh my god can't wait for that. The airing schedule for King of Gate is so random though. I'm fully caught up now, Day 2 was excellent apart from a 6 man with BxB Hulk clearly not up to speed yet.

Totally into this new faction though, great mix of characters. Wonder who gets to beat Shingo for the big one though.....

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Baba's neckbreaker has to be the most inconsistent move in wrestling history. Sometimes he gets a good grip right on the neck with his bicep and it looks great. Other times, it looks like the sloppiest, 'we're just figuring out wrestling' move ever.

If the brand split and especially Smackdown's going live is a success you can be pretty damn sure USA will be wanting that third hour when the next round of TV negotiations roll around.

RBH

Some possible brand split info from the latest PWTorch news segment, via Wade Keller

(I know Keller these days isn't Meltzer when it comes to sources, but in his latest news update he mentioned a few things with way more authority than he usually does so I thought they'd be worth writing down.)

• Vince's resistance to Kevin Owens is starting to break down.
  • Alberto Del Rio wants a heel push, but the big obstacle there is Triple H who holds the firing/rehiring against him.
  • AJ Styles has really impressed Vince and Triple H.
  • At the moment, the word internally is that Vince and Dunn will play a heavy role in Smackdown - USA want Dunn there running a show close to the one that's currently working. Ryan Ward's input is valued, but his big involvement will come from his familiarity with the brand's NXT talent.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...me_possible_brand_split_info_from_the_latest/

bjork

If you had a stable/family/faction what wrasslegaffers would be in your group (limit 5)? What would be your group's name?

I think mine would start with everyone in, and then they get jumped out of the group when they post something I don't agree with. No name is coming to mind, though.

Top Bottom