• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

shaowebb

This one?

qRpZINV.jpg
I always laughed more at this fail.

UIYo0NT.gif

Cena was trying to hop up so that Roman could look strong and literally tackle him outta the air. Its a typical spear assist that allows the opponent to carry you long distance and look powerful. Roman's spear however is shit and always is shit. He missiles at the ground. Combine Roman's poor method of spearing with someone trying to help a proper spear and you get the knee liner.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I miss Goldberg's spears. Anyone has that gif where he just obliterates some cruiserweight with a spear?

Holy shit, shaowebb. Never saw that before

I don't know anything about him so your post just went over my head.

Everyone refers to him as Antonio Inoki, which might be why Data commented about how insider it was (since Kanji Inoki is his birth name) and why you might have gotten zero responses on Twitter

You could start with Inoki vs. Vader, especially Vader's debut. Inoki vs. Tiger Mask I is another pivotal match.

Backlund vs. Inoki is another series of matches to watch.

It's like I'm watching some insane Anime with all the rapid movements. It gives me a headache
Like watching those in air dbz fights with all of the flashing of lights. My fiancée doesn't care for it.

I've noticed a trend in 90's wrestling from 1993 on: The best US promotion is the one with Mick Foley in it.

WCW is the best in 1993, ECW is at its height in late 1994-1995 and WWF starts its long climb to the top pretty much the second he arrives.
Maybe Foley really is G.....

Just kidding he he.

Dudley's are the new champions!

shaowebb

Holy shit, shaowebb. Never saw that before

Yeah...Roman didn't aim for Cena's waste. Just ran in and did his usual dive. He doesn't really "target" body parts when he aims for moves that much. Case in point him trying to tag someone.

9hgZG7q.gif

Honestly body positioning isn't his strong suit even by himself. He's kind of awkward.
Case in point.
ujptXKB.gif

He's a good athlete no doubt, and their are FAR sloppier out there. WAAAAAAAY sloppier. But he's definitely the kind of guy who finds himself out of position unexpectedly who seems to ding himself a decent bit during his moves. His moveset is pretty vanilla and safe though so it compensates for him and keeps him healthy out there to not really push too far. I think he should keep doing the black tiger bomb. He looked fantastic doing it and I think general slam type moves suit him. I'm glad he isn't a run and boot dude like so many others with this problem though. He'd likely Nathan Jones someone...that dude tore Kane's Bicep with a boot that was out of position because it was just thrown and not aimed.

Honestly thats really a big thing that holds back Roman in the ring from growth. He tries really hard for his strikes and running stuff to be really fast and he rushes through them. He throws them but doesn't aim or set them up. If he sets up his stuff it hits well. If he adapted to a more patient style of delivery in the ring we'd probably see him improve and do more stuff.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The only problem with Go's offense is that he's the face but he looks like a fucking killer. Everything he does looks so vicious. It's not that he's doing heel things. He's just knocking the shit out of people and at some point, you feel bad for the bad guy getting his chest ripped open and his head caved in by chops.
Is it as cold as the heat death of the universe as some are describing it?

Nowhere near it. It's about the sound of a NOAH match. It starts pretty hot, but dies down because it goes extremely long. For an angle that should have ended months ago and a match that should have happened last month, there's only so much you can do.

also
Kazuchika Okada commented earlier in the current tour that he will do anything for IWGP re-match rights.

At Osaka show last night, Tetsuya Naito speaks out what he wants Okada to do.

Naito wants Okada to run during entrance just like Young Lions. The date Naito demanded is June 3rd at Kourakuen Hall. It is really humiliating for Okada.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Go vs Suzuki turns into John Cena vs Kevin Owens level of finisher spam and kickouts and Bullet Club shenanigans.

What a disappointment between two of the best workers in Japan.

You have likely followed his career obviously. How did you think he did in his program with Roman? Think he had to hold back to "make Roman look strong"?😞

I thought he made Roman look the best he ever has which speaks more or AJ than Roman

I've only seen so much of AJ vs Roman, but Roman's an athletic enough guy and as long as he can physically keep up with AJ unlike a Jericho, I have no problem believing they had great matches. AJ probably had the strongest case for 'best wrestler in the world' when he was in NJPW. He can work just about every style, and his bumping is incredible. But WWE is more promo and outside the ring character heavy, which makes me curious how he'll do there. But the fact that he got so far so quickly in the WWE with his issues on the mic, says a lot about how strongly he carries himself in the ring.

I imagine AJ set up the match with Roman to play to Roman's strengths, but I don't think he did it to make Roman look stronk.

shaowebb

For in-ring , it's AJ.

This. AJ could wrestle a mop and make it into a believable clash of titans. The thing that makes AJ so good isn't how athletic he is, it isn't his look, it isn't even his spots. All of these things are exceptionally great about him but what makes AJ so GOOD and not just a "flashy dude" is his ring pacing. He knows how to read the audience as well as build the audience up towards a moment. He can work with anyone, figure out their strengths and weaknesses and figure out spots and sequences that to him say " okay...having this moment with this guy would make a lot of sense and look really cool".

For Roman it involved AJ playing up his size difference. AJ did a LOT of dive moves to put Roman on the ground and realized that doing a lot of mat submission would be silly because trying to "bring the big man down" doesn't play up the big guy as a threat when they got to see him screaming in agony to a hold from someone half his size. AJ instead decided the more he flew at him and the farther he got flung away by Roman the bigger BOTH their moments of success and failure would appear. Not only that but he paced the spots with Roman. Every area the two went to had a moment planned for it. If AJ exits the ring its not a rest...its for a moment that can be built up outside like something with the tables, posts or apron. If it was in the ring it was meant to have the two on their feet going at it so we'd never remember either of them mainly as in the ring and on their back. If it was entering the ring or exiting the ring it had to be a dive. Notice even when he enters back from the crowd its to launch himself? Any entrance or exit from an area needs to be BIG so that the match transitions with momentum that spills over the area and not just hits a spot and walks away.

Anywhere AJ goes...he goes with a big spot in mind and the spot is always aimed to play up the attributes of his opponent in such a way that it'd be cool to see him against them. Roman is big, uses lift moves, and a few running attacks. Thats all AJ needed to figure out stuff. Plus he doesn't over play an area of the ring. Once he has a spot picked out for that area he moves on to the next part of the work area. He actively tries to present himself to as many sides of the ring and crowd as possible and its something many overlook.

This is why WWE needs more indy guys who paid their dues. You learn how to appeal to an audience. Lots of dudes can't read a large crowd as well as a small one. Figuring out how to get a small crowd hot translates HUGE towards working a large one. AJ can work anything and anyone.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Nice read. There is a lot I need to catch up on. I first saw AJ a few months back in his WK10 match with Naka. That was surreal for virgin eyes like mine. I then got distracted and watched Nakamura's matches and obsesses there until he came to nxt

Much to catch up on.

Watch his Suzuki match if you haven't. It's considered the best of his career by a lot of flks and shows the most of his range.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Every time I see Benoit do that diving headbutt, I wonder is the one that did him in.

I knew about Hayabusa being paralyzed before I watched most of his matches, so every time I watched Hayabusa matches I was like 'is this the one where he gets paralyzed?'

I loved that dude as a kid. But man he was WAY too sloppy to be trying the moves he was trying. Super dangerous.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I have thoughts like this when I consider whether or not I'm going to watch Over the Edge 1999 or not. I listened to it on scramble vision for awhile and it was heart wrenching back then, and I've grown somewhat sentimental since then. I definitely won't skip Raw is Owen as I have fond memories of that one.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's like whenever I watch Bayley. She fucking plummets to the ground and always looks an inch off from necking herself. Like stop fucking doing that. Someone needs to tell her to do something else or she's gonna get crippled.
dVXihug.gif

hayabusa's 450s and pheonix splashes were fine. but that SSP and lionsault. every time.

Zach

I've noticed a trend in 90's wrestling from 1993 on: The best US promotion is the one with Mick Foley in it.

WCW is the best in 1993, ECW is at its height in late 1994-1995 and WWF starts its long climb to the top pretty much the second he arrives.

I like it!

somedevil

AJ Styles has been great since he left TNA. It just makes you wonder how many years he wasted there.

The guy in TNA in later years was playing an idiot to Christian with a crown, locked himself in his room in his parents house over if he should choose Christian or Angle, wore a chicken suit, played Ric Flair Jr, and Claire Lynch before he left.

Zach

Listened to the whole StarrCade '97 Lapsed Fan Podcast trying to beat Ornstein and Smough and still didn't beat them.

What'd ya think?

I have thoughts like this when I consider whether or not I'm going to watch Over the Edge 1999 or not. I listened to it on scramble vision for awhile and it was heart wrenching back then, and I've grown somewhat sentimental since then. I definitely won't skip Raw is Owen as I have fond memories of that one.

I've got this right around the corner.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Whoa, seriously? I read that his brain basically was deteriorating, but I never heard about that.

Wtf? I've never heard of this one.

Found it, an interview Nancy's sister Sandra had last year.

"Yes, my brother-in-law had concussions, he hit his head for a living and I understand that. But way beyond that, he had a very serious drug and steroid problem. Unfortunately, a lot of athletes still do to this day. It’s spiraling out of control. The medical examiner told us after the autopsy that Chris was on his way to death within 10 months. His heart was huge, about 3 times normal size, and it was ready to blow up at any moment."

BFIB

What a terrible thing for someone to say.

I mean, I'm with you, but it's just ugly and sad.
I've had a few people ask me how can I watch him in old matches knowing what he ended up becoming. I always have trouble answering it.

Anything is possible, he could've lived longer than that.

Kinda fucked up, but it's a shame that his heart didn't explode before he could snap and kill his wife and kid.

What a terrible thing for someone to say.

I mean, I'm with you, but it's just ugly and sad.
Right, I decided to just keep that thought to myself. This conversation is always a touchy one.

So SD:SYM almost works on my laptop. That means my pc will run this at ease. Everyone is in trouble now that I can flawlessly play my ps2 games without my ps2 or 3 being hooked up and using my ps4 remote.

Zach and Man-God, the OTE network edition is clean. You don't even know anything happens until you notice how quiet King is.

Man-God, I too watched well heard it over scramble vision. That's enough to fuck with your life forever and it did.

Heroman

Banned
I've had a few people ask me how can I watch him in old matches knowing what he ended up becoming. I always have trouble answering it.
For me it since I understand how fucked up he was and how bad of a shape he was in , it easier for me to watch him.

RBH

I'm catching up on Raw from last Monday, and I just watched that backstage segment with Baron Corbin and Dolph Ziggler.

Good lord, that was terrible.

Corbin sleepwalking through his lines and looking like he's reading right off a Teleprompter

Ziggler emphasizing TECHNICAL WRESTLING MATCH over and over again like a geek

Just awful all around.

Zach

You know, it doesn't really bother me watching WCW stuff except when Woman's with him or he's doing a flying headbutt. Such a weird, eerie feeling.

Loved it.
That Vince calling Nick Patrick segment fucking killed me.

Awesome. Glad you like it. There's a lot of content, so enjoy those future listens.

Top Bottom