• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

RBH

It's May, so it's probably time to start compiling Match of the Year Candidates.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAO2AAAAJDU0OGU4MGY2LTI1YjMtNDU1My1hMmVmLTczMDY3YWFlNTE4Ng.jpg

Zach

No-showing at your job is throwing people under the bus. It's why people don't do it at other jobs.

Isn't it kind of different, though? Like, people in wrasslin' are happy to take a spot, etc. etc. Right? And they're happy to have less competition for said spot? Yeah?

XenoRaven

Isn't kind of different, though? Like, people in wrasslin' are happy to take a spot, etc. etc. Right? And they're happy to have less competition for said spot? Yeah?
I don't remember the exact details of him walking out, but when you have a show planned and a person who is supposed to be on the show decides to not be at the show, that fucks stuff up for everyone; regardless of the validity of dirt sheet claims that the show gets rewritten at 7pm on Monday.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This doesn't apply to professional wrestling.

How in the world does it not?

You think the promoters are happy having a main event guy built up and just having him vanish into the ether out of nowhere? How about the fans that bought tickets to see Punk?

Sephzilla

You think the promoters are happy having a main event guy built up and just having him vanish into the ether out of nowhere? How about the fans that bought tickets to see Punk?

The promoters already got their money so that doesn't matter. Also Punk not being there means other people get to work longer matches or someone who wasn't even supposed to be on the show gets a chance to be on TV. Oh no, the horror.

It's pretty different than a typical job where if someone no-shows or calls in sick you get dumped with a bunch of other work on top of your current shit you still need to get done.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Kevin Nash put in his notice and even put Undertaker over on his way out.
The promoters already got their money so that doesn't matter.

Also Punk not being there means other people get to work longer matches or someone who wasn't even supposed to be on the show gets a chance to be on TV. Oh no, the horror.
They got some money so they should be happy? They shouldn't want to make more money and build more stars off of established ones? Or does that not apply to Punk?

What a hero, sacrificing himself so other wrestlers can get banged up in longer matches to cover for him no-showing. So he can go steal someone else's spot in the UFC.

Sephzilla

They got some money so they should be happy? They shouldn't want to make more money and build more stars off of established ones? Or does that not apply to Punk?

What a hero, sacrificing himself so other wrestlers can get banged up in longer matches to cover for him no-showing.

Oh no, wrestlers get more time to do shit that gets themselves over in a job that's all about trying to get over.

RBH

So Dave Meltzer said that Ryback had a meeting regarding a new contract (the current one is expiring in few months) with HHH or Vince. Ryback didn't like their offer, and apparently the discussion ended with Vince suggesting him going home. Unless there is a reconciliation, that's it. He is going to be paid for the rest of his contract. Dave said the CM Punk entrance and the "pre-show stopper" thing are signs that he is clearly not happy with his current situation. Meltzer said there are speculations of him going to NJPW, but they already have Michael Elgin, who has a very similar style.

Ryback was originally scheduled for Battle Royal on Raw.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/4hn92k/ryback_udpate_from_wrestling_observer_radio/

Card subject to change.

Although I tend to agree with you. I think the absolute ethering of people who no show isn't baseless. Yeah, plans change at the drop of a hat sometimes, but that doesn't meant that there isn't a cost to having to change everything.

I mean, all that money spent on Payback promotion centered around the Wyatt's... if Bray hadn't been injured and had just no showed. That would have seemed like a slap in the face, and a complete sabotage of the event. Sure, it was worse when Stone Cold did it given where he was in the company... but I don't think it excuses it completely either.

I like Punk. I enjoyed his work in and out of the ring, and I wish him the best in the UFC (although I think he's going to get beaten handily)... but yeah. I think people arguing that there aren't any negative repercussions of having one of your main stars no show on the company or the other talent are blinkered.

Independent contractors and all that.

PWG Prince card looks pretty good, though I'm not a fan of the Brits facing each other again

Michael Elgin vs Zack Sabre, Jr. - PWG World Title
Dalton Castle vs Adam Cole
Drew Galloway vs Brian Cage
"Mr. Athletic" Jeff Cobb (Matanza Cueto) vs Chris Hero
Mark Andrews vs Marty Scurll
Sami Callihan vs Roderick Strong
Andrew Everett vs Trevor Lee

klonere

Banned
I think Tana was referencing "This is Wrestling" chants on commentary in this Liger/KUSHIDA match.

I think Tana might be a big US indie mark by the way he's been acting in the last while.

I think Tana was referencing "This is Wrestling" chants on commentary in this Liger/KUSHIDA match.

I think Tana might be a big US indie mark by the way he's been acting in the last while.

Nah, isn't he always complaining about flippy headdroppy indy shit?

Do talent complain about getting banged up in a job about getting banged up.

On that note, did you watch the new Table of 3? Ann Anderson had some choice words on this very topic.

Hypothetically:

Imagine you're a mid carder, booked to fight a main event star who no shows, and instead find yourself facing another mid carder. You can't rightly bitch about it?

RBH

New episode of Stone Cold podcast:

Wade Keller returns to break down the WWE "Payback" PPV with Stone Cold Steve Austin, and wow! This analysis and review just might surprise you! First up, Enzo & Big Cass and the latest on Enzo's concussion injury! Steve spoke to him after it happened, and you'll hear what Enzo told him. Then, it's on to Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens. Did they really have a main event worthy match in the second position on the card? And what about Charlotte and Natalya, and Ric Flair and Bret Hart?! Music speaks almost as loudly as these two women did in the match! Skills. Chris Jericho & Dean Ambrose delivered the unexpected, and maybe just maybe, The Miz laid down one the best matches of his career. You'll also get some thoughts on the McMahon show down, Ziggler's job, and the match between AJ Styles and Roman Reigns.
http://www.podcastone.com/pg/jsp/program/episode.jsp?programID=542&pid=1648108

Stone Cold really really liked Styles/Reigns, and praised AJ a lot.

miserable

Next thing you know Tana will have a move named after Meltzer

Stone Cold really really liked Styles/Reigns, and praised AJ a lot.

How could you not? He was phenomenal (ba dum tsssssss) despite Roman's lethargic, undynamic presence. If that match took place against someone on AJ's level it could have been a classic.

Yeah, I've become an AJ stan.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of pointless jabs

"Make Roman look strong" is old and tired

*CM Punk lifts stairs gif* still fresh as daisies
The day it stops working people is the day it's old and tired.

klonere

Banned
Nah, isn't he always complaining about flippy headdroppy indy shit?

He endorsed the Young Bucks as having sound psychology in an interview. And he did his post match promo to setup the ladder match all in English. He's a MARK.

Next thing you know Tana will have a move named after Meltzer

The Dragon Screw Leg Meltzer

It takes some serious mental gymnastics to be a Punk stan in 2016.

Klonere, where are these gifs from?

Today's NJPW Dontaku show, I'll title the posts from now on in case people don't know.

BFIB

As he should. It way surpassed my expectations. Too bad I probably won't get the same buzz the 2nd time around. But you never know.

I'm trying to figure out if it was more Roman stepping up, or proves just how good AJ is at carrying anyone.

It was a great match, despite the McMahons using it to get themselves over ahead of the belt, sorry, strap.

jmdajr

I'm trying to figure out if it was more Roman stepping up, or proves just how good AJ is at carrying anyone.

It was a great match, despite the McMahons using it to get themselves over ahead of the belt, sorry, strap.

Maybe they just work well together. And that can be a totally acceptable answer.

100% the latter. Roman looked winded like 5 minutes in and didn't do anything he doesn't normally do in a shitty Raw match.

BFIB

100% the latter. Roman looked winded like 5 minutes in and didn't do anything he doesn't normally do in a shitty Raw match.

His spots with AJ though were fantastic. jmdajr might be on to something. They just work really well together. Kind of like Cena/Punk.

Hex

Banned
Punk is set for life. He can just live off WWE royalties and the gobs of merch he sold while he was so miserable and "buried" in WWE.

Everything else he does is just gravy.

Not only that, he can just walk into a ROH event and be treated like a god for a one off anytime he felt like it even if he didn't wrestle because of the legacy.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

It's both. Lots of people will say Roman wasn't shit but he did everything he was supposed to in there and also looked great. Pay no attention to the people that'll the Reigns no matter what he does. It was a joint effort.

So based on today's events, the card for DOMINION is looking like...

Naito vs. Okada

Omega vs. Tanahashi - Ladder Match

Nagata vs. Shibata rematch

KUSHIDA vs. whoever wins BoSJ (my pick is Ospreay)

RicoSydal vs. either reDRagon or Young Bucks (my pick is reDRagon)

GOD vs. Tenkoji (which is pretty much the only other team in NJPW right now, which is pretty damn sad)

Probably an Ishii/Goto vs. EVIL/SANADA tag match

And some crap involving Fatass Fale and that cunt Yujiro.

Sephzilla

I'm more inclined to say it was AJ carrying Roman than any kind of joint effort. Roman wasn't doing anything different or new that he doesn't do in his more mediocre outings.

EDIT - To say something positive, however, this match did a good job of hiding Roman's weaknesses.

Even when Roman Reigns has a good match, a lot of people here do Chinese Olympic gymnast level gymnastics to avoid saying anything good about him.

Top Bottom