• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

jmdajr

He does make a good point though because it's a downward spiral.

They make less, and can't make it up with other things because the company sees no value in them... so they go further down the peaking order, which means lose more... which means less money, etc

I mean I bet Krillin would have loved to sell more merch. It's fake but folks with constant loses and NO storylines take a huge hit.

I am ok with them getting a bone, or some kind of longetivity/veteran jobber bonus.

Hell I think some guys like Zack Ryder make 6 figures if you can believe it. Ziggler does, and he's a jobber.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sunny I need you to watch this all the way through. Trust me on this.

https://streamable.com/q0fm

Is it on the new E&C show? I plan on watching it today or tomorrow if time permits.

I mean I bet Krillin would have loved to sell more merch. It's fake but folks with constant loses and NO storylines take a huge hit.

I am ok with them getting a bone, or some kind of longetivity/veteran jobber bonus.

Hell I think some guys like Zack Ryder make 6 figures if you can believe it. Ziggler does, and he's a jobber.

It's moreso that they don't get the opportunity to have more merch. How much JTG gear was out there his last year? Etc.

I would love to see WWE have a baseline for their merch - every superstar has at LEAST one shirt, one hat. Something like that - no matter how DOA their careers appear to be.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
He does make a good point though because it's a downward spiral.

They make less, and can't make it up with other things because the company sees no value in them... so they go further down the peaking order, which means lose more... which means less money, etc

Mitch the plant is more over than Ryback and that's not because Ryback is booked to lose its because he doesn't have the charisma or talent to really catch on with the fans.

Someone like Sandow or Ryder would have much better standing to make this argument and even then, those dudes are still stuck with the fact that they're super vanilla.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If you guys wanna talk about people shooting about "it's not about money" when it actually is, let me point you to Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling podcast with CM Punk.

Independent contractors and all that.

PWG Prince card looks pretty good, though I'm not a fan of the Brits facing each other again

Michael Elgin vs Zack Sabre, Jr. - PWG World Title
Dalton Castle vs Adam Cole
Drew Galloway vs Brian Cage
"Mr. Athletic" Jeff Cobb (Matanza Cueto) vs Chris Hero
Mark Andrews vs Marty Scurll
Sami Callihan vs Roderick Strong
Andrew Everett vs Trevor Lee

I'm guessing Cobb is fine after stupidly punching that window.

Galloway vs. Cage could be fantastic or just awful.

The thing that killed Ryback as a character for me was when he explained that "Feed Me More" is about eating negativity. I thought he just wanted to be fed more people to beat up.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You've made your point you don't like the CM Punk podcast. Let it go. Its not either productive or your job to make sure people aren't posting or referencing things you don't like.

jmdajr

this was a great moment

lqJRJco.gif

Zach

If you guys wanna talk about people shooting about "it's not about money" when it actually is, let me point you to Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling podcast with CM Punk.

But the guy said that they already sorted out the money issue in his blog post, right? I ain't re-reading it, but I think that he said that. Maybe he's not complaining about his money, as much as his bros or something? Maybe Ryback is taking a hit for the team because he's the nicest man to ever live?

I mean, maybe.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
But the guy said that they already sorted out the money issue in his blog post, right? I ain't re-reading it, but I think that he said that. Maybe he's not complaining about his money, as much as his bros or something? Maybe Ryback is taking a hit for the team because he's the nicest man to ever live?

I mean, maybe.

Correct, in a way. He's saying everyone deserves at least the chance to have merch, and that the booking sucking ass takes money from him and anyone else that is a victim of bad booking. Reigns could have been lighting it up with merch money to a much higher degree if he wasn't a victim of some real shit booking.

jmdajr

I mean, maybe.

Maybe. Vince's heart is only so big though.

Angry Grimace

It's kind of random how WWE started covering up the guys with bad physiques so much recently.

Axel's wrestling in cargo shorts, Bo is in a singlet and the Usos wear shirts in the ring. Roman's still buff and wearing a chest protector.

Zach

Correct, in a way. He's saying everyone deserves at least the chance to have merch, and that the booking sucking ass takes money from him and anyone else that is a victim of bad booking. Reigns could have been lighting it up with merch money to a much higher degree if he wasn't a victim of some real shit booking.

I thought he said everyone should more or less be paid the same and then dudes who move merch get rewarded with a percentage or whatevz.

And you're a goofball for interjecting that weiner Roman Reigns into the convo. :D

Yeah. Begs the question - what is the actual problem with Roman Reigns?

Well that's an interesting question Sunny. What is 'wrong' with Roman Reigns? What is that intangible quality that has led to his detractors?

If I had to speculate, I would say it comes down to booking and entitlement.

In theory, what we want from a 'top guy' is for him to win, to overcome his obstacles because his character is one that pushes him to advance whatever story he's in. This is true for wrestling and fiction in general.

But if we look at the kind of booking that WWE has today, what do we get? Number 1 contendership matches made on a dime, money in the bank matches, elimination chambers, royal rumbles and WRESTLEMANIA moments. Gone are the days where the WWE could afford to mask booking under a veneer of character agency. Now it seems like WWE champion winners get there solely because they were arbitrarily plucked from a lineup and put in a title match. And WWE wonders why there was such a lack of starpower for years.

So then what is the 'story' of Roman Reigns?

A seemingly endless series of opportunities and unmemorable feuds that culminate in a three time wwe champ resume. Now, more than ever, is it obvious to the audience that we are watching a guy that has the full backing of the management in the back.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
oh yeah i remember that, a funny one!

It was a big deal at the time. Still kind of is for some - people were dying to hear what really went on, and Punk had a reputation for being a straight shooter, verbally. Lots of people teased by his second Pipebomb promo (first in WWE) were dying for more. Especially when it appeared there was more to the story.

jmdajr

It's kind of random how WWE started covering up the guys with bad physiques so much recently.

Axel's wrestling in cargo shorts, Bo is in a singlet and the Usos wear shirts in the ring. Roman's still buff and wearing a chest protector.

hmmmm..

You know what made me sad?

Austin coming out in jeans and a T-shirt at Mania, especially after HBK and ROCK going all out.

Granted Austin just had some sort of shoulder surgery/scope. But fuck.
I would mark for Austin in his ring gear. Even for one stunner.

MG310

I wouldn't want to tell EVIL he's corny as fuck to his face

VsFmRAq.gif

I think he has to be aware of that wearing a ton of eyeliner, a purple crushed velvet singlet and robe, carrying a sickle and wearing a laser pointer glove.

Seconded on his STO...especially on Goto.

Angry Grimace

I mean, maybe.

I guess I just don't understand how Ryback's argument differs greatly from almost any acting gig. Kofi Kingston was never as relevant as Ryback was during his previous runs as a big monster and he's a huge megastar right now on the force of his own personality.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I thought he said everyone should more or less be paid the same and then dudes who move merch get rewarded with a percentage or whatevz.

And you're a goofball for interjecting that weiner Roman Reigns into the convo. :D

I read it as "I don't mind doing the job. That's my JOB. But we're at a point where people who do nothing but job, or have nonsensical booking - it can really hurt their popularity, which cuts into their wallet by giving them less opportunities to sell merchandise. Fix it!"

Well that's an interesting question Sunny. What is 'wrong' with Roman Reigns? What is that intangible quality that has led to his detractors?

If I had to speculate, I would say it comes down to booking and entitlement.

In theory, what we want from a 'top guy' is for him to win, to overcome his obstacles because his character is one that pushes him to advance whatever story he's in. This is true for wrestling and fiction in general.

But if we look at the kind of booking that WWE has today, what do we get? Number 1 contendership matches made on a dime, money in the bank matches, elimination chambers, royal rumbles and WRESTLEMANIA moments. Gone are the days where the WWE could afford to mask booking under a veneer of character agency. Now it seems like WWE champion winners get there solely because they were arbitrarily plucked from a lineup and put in a title match. And WWE wonders why there was such a lack of starpower for years.

So then what is the 'story' of Roman Reigns?

A seemingly endless series of opportunities and unmemorable feuds that culminate in a three time wwe champ resume. Now, more than ever, is it obvious to the audience that we are watching a guy that has the full backing of the management in the back.

Good answer. And that's not how you connect with someone.

Did Vader have any of this in WCW when he went after Sting? Nah. People wanted it. Did Sid need it? Nope. I dunno, it's a crazy world. I like Reigns but I divorce the aspect of his character being given it and I view him as an underdog with the fans. I still feel we are going to see Reigns evolve to a huge degree and he will a great talent in some years.

Angry Grimace

Hell, Xavier Woods went from "TNA guy that puked in the ring" to the mouthpiece of the most over team in the entire company and getting to plug his random youtube crap on live teleivision and pay per views.

Zach

I guess I just don't understand how Ryback's argument differs greatly from almost any acting gig. Kofi Kingston was never as relevant as Ryback was during his previous runs as a big monster and he's a huge megastar right now on the force of his own personality.

Mmhmm, mmhmm. I see what you're saying. But I guess Ryback thinks WWE should overhaul their entire pay structure to help The Little Guy (isn't he The Big Guy? I'm hilarious.). He's basically the Bernie Sanders of wrestling.

>_>

BFIB

Hell, Xavier Woods went from "TNA guy that puked in the ring" to the mouthpiece of the most over team in the entire company and getting to plug his random youtube crap on live teleivision and pay per views.

Was that by design, or just reached the "I don't give a fuck, give me a mic and I'll get over myself."

New Day reminds me of Jericho in WCW in that regard. Vince is so out of the loop on whats popular nowadays that he was like "Fine, take the mic, you got 5 minutes."

Angry Grimace

hmmmm..

You know what made me sad?

Austin coming out in jeans and a T-shirt at Mania, especially after HBK and ROCK going all out.

Granted Austin just had some sort of shoulder surgery/scope. But fuck.
I would mark for Austin in his ring gear. Even for one stunner.

That was because Vince called Shawn Michaels up and told him that he needed to get in shape for his appearance at Mania. When Michaels told him that he was fat, Vince told him that Steve Austin and Mick Foley were gonna show up in their ring gear and he needed to also. So Michaels busted his ass for 6 weeks to get into shirtless shape and he showed up at WM and saw beer-gut Steve Austin and realized Vince was just fucking with him.

Zach

I read it as "I don't mind doing the job. That's my JOB. But we're at a point where people who do nothing but job, or have nonsensical booking - it can really hurt their popularity, which cuts into their wallet by giving them less opportunities to sell merchandise. Fix it!"

Got ya.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Mmhmm, mmhmm. I see what you're saying. But I guess Ryback thinks WWE should overhaul their entire pay structure to help The Little Guy (isn't he The Big Guy? I'm hilarious.). He's basically the Bernie Sanders of wrestling.

>_>

Ryback was the little guy for a long time. Everyone deserves an opportunity to make more money on merch. Everyone has their little pockets of diehard fans and it'd be nice to serve them.

Thankfully I still have my Ascension t-shirt.

jmdajr

That was because Vince called Shawn Michaels up and told him that he needed to get in shape for his appearance at Mania. When Michaels told him that he was fat, Vince told him that Steve Austin and Mick Foley were gonna show up in their ring gear and he needed to also. So Michaels busted his ass for 6 weeks to get into shirtless shape and he showed up at WM and saw beer-gut Steve Austin and realized Vince was just fucking with him.

Yup I know all that. still don't change my feels!

Thankfully I still have my Ascension t-shirt.

nice

klonere

Banned
Was that by design, or just reached the "I don't give a fuck, give me a mic and I'll get over myself."

New Day reminds me of Jericho in WCW in that regard. Vince is so out of the loop on whats popular nowadays that he was like "Fine, take the mic, you got 5 minutes."

Basically, the three guys kept going to Vince over the course of a half year trying to get something together, he gave them FACE NEW DAY as happy clapping babyfaces (he wanted them to be called Fresh Coat of Paint or House of Positive Energy, yes thats HOPE). They bombed spectacularly and thanks to the Raw After Mania crowd really laying in that New Day Sucks chant, they got the go ahead to be heels and here we are today.

XenoRaven

It's more complex than just "working hard" and "doing what you're told". Bad booking has absolutely impacted wrestler's careers. But how do you determine what percentage is bad booking and what percentage is just someone's inability to get over with fans?

Deadpool was a hugely successful movie, so is Ryan Reynolds a flop, or did he just have a bad agent?

What has Chris Hemsworth done outside of Marvel movies to warrant the ridiculous paychecks he continually gets?

It's nearly impossible to determine what part of the blame/credit goes to performers and what part goes to writers.

A minimum salary that is appropriate for a traveling performer that appears on a live cable television show would probably be a good thing. Especially considering the lower on the card you are, the worse your post-WWE prospects look. Having a baseline for merch would be a good thing too.

I don't see this as a necessity on WWE's part though, unless they start hurting for talent that's hungry to prove themselves, which I don't foresee happening. Unless Ryback can actually form a union, not much is going to change for The Big Guy, unfortunately.

Zach

I complete disagree that Reigns has no charisma.

Not likeable.Yes. Booking has not helped with that.

Examples of charisma? Particularly babyface charisma? Because he always seems awkward to me, which can work, but not with his apparent all-conquering gimmick.

Top Bottom