• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Was that by design, or just reached the "I don't give a fuck, give me a mic and I'll get over myself."

New Day reminds me of Jericho in WCW in that regard. Vince is so out of the loop on whats popular nowadays that he was like "Fine, take the mic, you got 5 minutes."

It was apparently Xavier's idea to get that team together and Vince saddled them with the happy clapping guys gimmick, which was relentlessly booed until all three of them pressured Vince into letting them go heel.

This is why I don't actually listen to people who say "well the Vaudevillains are dead." You can get over a bad gimmick if you have charisma. That's practically the story of every dude who got rich wrestling. Steve Austin didn't get over as the Ringmaster and the Rock didn't get over as smiley guy, either.

klonere

Banned
And now for the greatest spot in the history of wrestling

vH7kV0T.gif

I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank Kevin Nash for making guaranteed contracts the norm in wrestling.

Before the Big Guy, after all, was Big Daddy Cool.

Reigns does have charisma, but his charisma is in mean tough guy mode. They need to book him more like the end of last Raw. I don't like you and now you must die.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Roman does have charisma. I think he just doesn't really understand how to either use it or what will get him over.

Post-nasal surgery badass Roman Reigns is a good character. Seriously. But you can't just wash the stank of Jack-the-Beanstalk/dickjoke Reigns away. It's too late. We already saw him cry when he lost the title.

Zach

WIK3aJs.gif

just look at the man!

"and you can't...teach..that!"

It's funny if you consider a smile that's not forced charisma. >_>

Reigns does have charisma, but his charisma is in mean tough guy mode. They need to book him more like the end of last Raw. I don't like you and now you must die.

It seems like that ship has sailed, though. Like, they already messed up that opportunity by trying to make him into Chatty Cathy.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Kevin Nash had no charisma but he looked cool. Roma unfortunately doesn't have that going on.

I mean, no one expects Scott Hall levels of coolness and charisma. That kind of combination will make you insane.

Zach

Roman does have charisma. I think he just doesn't really understand how to either use it or what will get him over.

Post-nasal surgery badass Roman Reigns is a good character. Seriously. But you can't just wash the stank of Jack-the-Beanstalk/dickjoke Reigns away. It's too late. We already saw him cry when he lost the title.

See?!

Standards are at an all time low. Sad!

I'm not trying to be a dickbutt here, but seriously.

Angry Grimace

That's why when people say "they don't trust Reigns to give promos" I don't agree. Its not that, its that they figured out Roman sucks at them and its better when he walks up to AJ and threatens to beat the shit out of him rather than making a stupid joke.

Hex

Banned
I think that they should let Ryback main event the next WWE Network special.
Against Brock.
Merry Hexmas Big Guy.

Honestly, he starts strong but he contradicts himself.
I agree that GOOD jobbers should be taken care of.
Breeze, Cody, Ziggler, Henning, Henry, Truth and so forth.
I think that Ryback just is frustrated because he thinks that he deserves a bigger spot, and now he sees Owens come in, Zayn, AJ come in and get a main event run, Gallows and Anderson, Enzo & Cass... and there was not a chapter in The Gift on how to handle Jealousy and Envy.

UberTag

Still too many matches left on the backlog to watch to form a definitive list of contenders, but here are some for now:

• WWE Payback: WWE World Heavyweight Championship No DQ No Countouts match: Roman Reigns (c) vs. A.J. Styles
  • WWE Payback: Kevin Owens vs. Sami Zayn
  • NJPW Invasion Attack 2016: IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship match: KUSHIDA (c) vs. Will Ospreay
  • Sendai Girls: Sendai Girls Championship match: Meiko Satomura (c) vs. Aja Kong
  • Evolve 59: Ricochet vs. Will Ospreay
  • WWE NXT TakeOver: Dallas: Sami Zayn vs. Shinsuke Nakamura
  • CMLL Super Viernes: CMLL World Lightweight Championship match: Dragon Lee (c) vs. Kamaitachi
  • Dragon Gate Truth Gate 2016: Losing unit must disband: Dia.Hearts vs. Monster Express vs. Verserk
  • Progress Chapter 25: Chat Shit Get Banged: Progress Championship No DQ match: Will Ospreay (c) vs. Marty Scurll
  • Revolution Pro High Stakes 2016: RevPro British Heavyweight Championship match: A.J. Styles (c) vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
  • Revolution Pro High Stakes 2016: #1 Contender's match: Marty Scurll vs. Will Ospreay
  • BJW: Yuji Okabayashi vs. Ryota Hama
  • NJPW Fantastica Mania 2016: CMLL World Lightweight Championship match: Dragon Lee (c) vs. Kamaitachi
  • NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 10: IWGP Intercontinental Championship match: Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs. A.J. Styles
  • NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 10: IWGP Heavyweight Championship match: Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi

Next up: Kengo Mashimo vs. Kento Miyahara from AJPW's Champions Carnival Day 1 and Daisuke Sekimoto vs. Zeus, Daichi Hashimoto vs. Daisuke Sekimoto and Hideyoshi Kamitani vs. Shuji Ishikawa from BJW's Ikkitousen Strong Climb 2016.
Can't we narrow this list down at least somewhat? I mean, on the WWE side of things, has there really been a better match than Zayn vs. Nakamura? Whether Styles works better with Roman than Jericho (he does) or not, we can't put their match on Payback in this discussion because of the nonsense over-booking.

What NJPW match has outclassed Nakamura vs. Styles?
Which of the many Ospreay matches in this list stands above the others? Are you going to have 12 of them by the end of the year?

Surely we can trim some fat. Especially if you've got a healthy backlog on top of that list.

MG310

I think that they should let Ryback main event the next WWE Network special.
Against Brock.
Merry Hexmas Big Guy.

Honestly, he starts strong but he contradicts himself.
I agree that GOOD jobbers should be taken care of.
Breeze, Cody, Ziggler, Henning, Henry, Truth and so forth.
I think that Ryback just is frustrated because he thinks that he deserves a bigger spot, and now he sees Owens come in, Zayn, AJ come in and get a main event run, Gallows and Anderson, Enzo & Cass... and there was not a chapter in The Gift on how to handle Jealousy and Envy.

I'm trying to wrap my head around Ryback asking Vince for a bus and feeling like it was ever a negotiation over it.

Sephzilla

So basically Ryback thinks he's a lot more valuable than he actually is and can't seem to wrap his head around the fact that he's a failed Goldberg clone who ultimately became Cena food? This guy has TNA main eventer written all over him.

Zach

Has anyone ever wanted to get fired from a job just to say FIRE ME! I'M ALREADY FIRED! FIRE ME! I'M ALREADY FIRED!

I'll go try it. Be right back.

Oh, crap. That reminds me of my resignation letter I wrote in 2008. I even drew a picture of myself walking out the door, waving. But then they asked me to stay and gave me a promotion and now here I am. In 2016.

Can't we narrow this list down at least somewhat? I mean, on the WWE side of things, has there really been a better match than Zayn vs. Nakamura? Whether Styles works better with Roman than Jericho (he does) or not, we can't put their match on Payback in this discussion because of the nonsense over-booking.

Which of the many Ospreay matches in this list stands above the others? Are you going to have 12 of them by the end of the year?

Surely we can trim some fat. Especially if you've got a healthy backlog on top of that list.

God knows I'm not going to have the time to rewatch all of these matches, so going off the gut to trim this to six:
  1. NJPW Invasion Attack 2016: IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship match: KUSHIDA (c) vs. Will Ospreay
  2. Sendai Girls: Sendai Girls Championship match: Meiko Satomura (c) vs. Aja Kong
  3. WWE NXT TakeOver: Dallas: Sami Zayn vs. Shinsuke Nakamura
  4. Dragon Gate Truth Gate 2016: Losing unit must disband: Dia.Hearts vs. Monster Express vs. Verserk
  5. NJPW Fantastica Mania 2016: CMLL World Lightweight Championship match: Dragon Lee (c) vs. Kamaitachi
  6. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 10: IWGP Heavyweight Championship match: Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi

I expect Owens and Zayn to have an even better match at some point this year. Ospreay vs. Scurll has basically defined British pro wrestling in 2015 and 2016, but if I had to choose one Ospreay match, I'd still go for the match against KUSHIDA. Nakamura vs. Zayn had a little more emotion than Nakamura vs. Styles. The Dragon Gate match is just great, and it's the Dragon Gate match for wrestling fans who don't normally like Dragon Gate.

Satomura vs. Kong was incredible, and it stands up. Lee and Kamaitachi have had an even longer series of matches than Scurll and Ospreay, so I just went with the one that I remembered better. Okada and Tanahashi had a match that paid off years of other matches at WK10, so it has to be the pick.

1. Dragon Lee vs Kamaitachi
2. Ospreay vs Scurll
3. Styles vs Nakamura

Cagey

Banned
Examples of charisma? Particularly babyface charisma? Because he always seems awkward to me, which can work, but not with his apparent all-conquering gimmick.

Not much on that front that isn't tweener stuff at best.

At the beginning of the match on Payback, he'd hit some haymaker punches or clotheslines and then just stare at AJ Styles with disdain. Disgust. His mannerisms in delivering the moves, standing over him in a taunt, the facials, etc. were him conveying "you don't belong in the ring with me."

I'd rather WWE went full bore in Reigns as the perfect heelish character for today's smark crowd. He already represents everything they dislike and stands in contrast to what they do like. Reigns standing face to top-of-head with Owens, the picture sums it up for both wrestlers without a word said. He doesn't need to say much beyond he's going to beat their asses.

Let him be the measuring stick, an indy darling killer, appalled he has to keep swatting vanilla midgets. Let AJ Styles and the various NXT folks have the same view of him. Play it up.

But then that's face behavior for me so who knows.

Sephzilla

At the beginning of the match on Payback, he'd hit some haymaker punches or clotheslines and then just stare at AJ Styles with disdain. Disgust. His mannerisms in delivering the moves, standing over him in a taunt, the facials, etc. were him conveying "you don't belong in the ring with me."

I'd rather WWE went full bore in Reigns as the perfect heelish character for today's smark crowd. He already represents everything they dislike and stands in contrast to what they do like. Reigns standing face to top-of-head with Owens, the picture sums it up for both wrestlers without a word said. He doesn't need to say much beyond he's going to beat their asses.

Let him be the measuring stick, an indy darling killer, appalled he has to keep swatting vanilla midgets. Let AJ Styles and the various NXT folks have the same view of him. Play it up.

But then that's face behavior me so who knows.

If Baron Corbin wasn't already on the main roster I'd say Roman would work well doing Corbin's gimmick

Zach

But then that's face behavior me so who knows.

Wait, so he should be a condescending heel? Or tweener? Is that what you're saying? Because that would make more sense to me. At least in the short term. Acknowledge people's complaints so they hopefully get the hate out of their system.

klonere

Banned
Naito and Ishii have great chemistry together.

I really bought in after the big interference spot. Cheerleader Okada was great. Main event, EVIL/Goto, Okada/Senada, the Jr. match all delivered. Everything else was fine for what it was. Not as good a show as Invasion Attack but you aren't going to beat a show that had KUSHIDA/Ospreay on it and the shock of Okada/Naito.

Attendance looked pretty healthy even if the crowd was a little to Fukuoka quiet for my liking.

jmdajr

Reigns has pretty much reached the point where he is there to get OTHER talent over. They can stop with most of the baby face shenanigans, but at the same time not go full heel with predictable antics.

So I guess he is a tweener. In a way.

If you like me. Cool. If you hate me. Cool.

Wonder how AJ merch is doing.

I really bought in after the big interference spot. Cheerleader Okada was great. Main event, EVIL/Goto, Okada/Senada, the Jr. match all delivered. Everything else was fine for what it was. Not as good a show as Invasion Attack but you aren't going to beat a show that had KUSHIDA/Ospreay on it and the shock of Okada/Naito.

Attendance looked pretty healthy even if the crowd was a little to Fukuoka quiet for my liking.

I'll be upset if Okada gets the title back in the rematch, but it could go either way.

EVIL still looks like a goof, but his matches have come a long way.

On the other hand, G.O.D. is still a work in progress, and now I wonder if we've lost Guns and Gallows only to get G.O.D. clogging up the heavyweight tag scene.

I'm a little surprised Ricochet/Sydal got the titles back, so I guess Ricochet is sticking around for a while after all. The NEVER tag match was good, but it wasn't as good as their last match where they went crazy with stuff around the ring.

You had a Mongo toy? We would've been the best of friends, Jimmy King. I mean, I would've mocked you for having that, but I also would've respected you. What a man, this Jimmy King.

In fairness, he was packaged in this

$_1.JPG

some might look at that like a MBS but not I

Reigns has pretty much reached the point where he is there to get OTHER talent over. They can stop with most of the baby face shenanigans, but at the same time not go full heel with predictable antics.

So I guess he is a tweener. In a way.

If you like me. Cool. If you hate me. Cool.

Wonder how AJ merch is doing.

nothing make a compelling character like complete indifference!

Top Bottom