• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

2001?

Spike is the soon to be rebranded The National Network, which used to be The Nashville Network.

Pop TV is the PREVIEW CHANNEL. Destination America is a branch off of Discovery.
No cable bro. I only get to watch Smackdown on UPN.

Honestly, it's crazy how many channels have changed since 2001. I got to my grandparents house and some of the channels that were once there, are now gone. You have to get extra packages and shit.

Kaiterra

Banned
Ryback is dead on. Shit needs to be more equitable. The death spiral that grinds people out of the business is messed up, and then on top of it people who get sucked up in it get blamed for their own lack of success when they aren't calling the shots. Tough stuff. Like it doesn't need to be equal across the board but the disparity is pretty huge. I can only guess that's partially engineered to keep main eventers with real leverage from jumping on to support the midcarders and jobbers in trying to rock the boat.

Hell, that might be part of why WWE has done a lot in the past decade or so to really prevent any individual performer from eclipsing the brand itself.

Oh well. I think I might start watching Raw again, after taking a break back after Summerslam. That post-Wrestlemania episode was all right and the ones that I've read about since then haven't really sounded bad, and everything I've been watching on Mondays wrapped up their seasons. Even Roman's stuff doesn't sound terrible now. That's a big improvement.

We didn't even get UPN on cable. We had to wait until Saturday to watch SD. I hated it. But if you didn't have cable, you easily got UPN.

Lol Bret with the firing squad.

Zach

Well, Sandow's had a featured jobbing spot at Mania and been on Raw two weeks in a row, plus Smackdown. After nearly a year of not being on TV, it's a step in the right direction.

Plus, Battleborn seems to have a positive reception so far from most of those who have played it. So nyeh.
Oh.

What a great life that Menome leads!

jmdajr

Ryback is dead on. Shit needs to be more equitable. The death spiral that grinds people out of the business is messed up, and then on top of it people who get sucked up in it get blamed for their own lack of success when they aren't calling the shots. Tough stuff. Like it doesn't need to be equal across the board but the disparity is pretty huge. I can only guess that's partially engineered to keep main eventers with real leverage from jumping on to support the midcarders and jobbers in trying to rock the boat.

Hell, that might be part of why WWE has done a lot in the past decade or so to really prevent any individual performer from eclipsing the brand itself.

Oh well. I think I might start watching Raw again, after taking a break back after Summerslam. That post-Wrestlemania episode was all right and the ones that I've read about since then haven't really sounded bad, and everything I've been watching on Mondays wrapped up their seasons. Even Roman's stuff doesn't sound terrible now. That's a big improvement.
They need to be better at roster rotation. Give a guy vacation if he is just gonna be jobbing with no story lines.

Zach

Just watched the most recent Edge and Christian episode. There were absolutely no fucks given in this episode. A+
God dang it. You guys are going to talk me into trying another episode of crappy not-wresting WWE programming. When will I learn?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They need to be better at roster rotation. Give a guy vacation if he is just gonna be jobbing with no story lines.

This is an honest to god Vince problem in that he's an utter workaholic that thinks that everyone should do 300+ dates a year.

Ithil

ChAbf3PWYAAv-xa.jpg

ChAa1ocWkAEymYV.jpg

I think revenue is much more important than profit.
Actual quote by a human being.

Bubba T

This is an honest to god Vince problem in that he's an utter workaholic that thinks that everyone should do 300+ dates a year.

Which is why I have little issue with Brock working as little as he does, getting paid tons for it, and not giving any fucks.

Zach

Get your moneys worth kiddo.
Dude, I've watched a disgusting amount of wrassle due to the Network. I'm definitely getting my money's worth. It's amazing to think back to when I first heard about the Network and popped in here and was like "huh, I used to love wresting. Maybe I should try out this little streaming service..."

And now look at me.

Has anyone ever leaked pay structure in the WWE? Is it a step style, flat rate, what? From the few shoots I've heard on the topic it's always been "merch drives pay" which if true maybe he means base pay?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Has anyone ever leaked pay structure in the WWE? Is it a step style, flat rate, what? From the few shoots I've heard on the topic it's always been "merch drives pay" which if true maybe he means base pay?

They have a base compensation package. I don't remember exactly what it is, but I'm pretty sure its six-figures.

Bubba T

Well, let me say this about Ryback and on topic of equal pay.

Its dogshit.

Because like any other corporation, your pay is in direct proportion to your responsibilities so when advertisement revenue rests on your shoulders to feed your family and fellow wrestlers, you xeserve higher pay. To his point, it is fucking stupid to assume marks and smarks will reward in kind by buying tshirts. Fans dont give a shit about tv ads or corporate revenue. So his logic is a showcase for just how stupid he really is:

The risk of losing advertisers will not be paid in kind by fans.

He goes off about how everyone spends time away from mommy and daddy and whatever, but says absolutely nothing about anything pertaining to how corporations, and in turn wwe, make any money and how much burden people responsible for drawing said revenue carry to make sure the lights stay on.

Seemingly, He hasnt learned a single thing

So how about the talent that gets themselves over only to be sabotaged by management?

Dude, I've watched a disgusting amount of wrassle due to the Network. I'm definitely getting my money's worth. It's amazing to think back to when I first heard about the Network and popped in here and was like "huh, I used to love wresting. Maybe I should try out this little streaming service..."

And now look at me.
Woah Woah, calm down Bubba. I might slap you if you get rowdy with me again.

But I was honestly the guy who said he would never get the network as my alma mater are the ecu pirates(😉). But I decided to bite and get my free month and you see me now. I'm enjoying what I enjoyed as a kid and it's making me stay interested. I can look back and say, "Hey, I remember when I was a giddy kid ready to see this stuff." Hell, honestly I've been watching this since birth so I believe that I'm hooked for life. I went to school for this, I'm married to this shit lol.

But it's a great bang for 10 bucks and I'd hate for them to raise the price. I remember when it first got launched, I was turned off. I cancelled my 30 day period a week in or so. It was trash. They've done an excellent job with it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So how about the talent that gets themselves over only to be sabotaged by management?

Management has no responsibility to give them a job, much less set them up for a higher salary in a new contract. That's not how business works.

Bubba T

Management has no responsibility to give them a job, much less set them up for a higher salary in a new contract. That's not how business works.

Yeah, that's how negotiations work. You aren't paid what you're worth, but what you can successfully negotiate.

In order to successfully negotiate,you need leverage. If you don't have any leverage you are at the whim of other party. So why does management seemingly sabotage wrestlers who get themselves over and "put butts in seats"?

I think if this Ryback thing says anything it's that relying on merch as a metric for reward or success is kind of archaic no? Yes, a wrestlers merch sales are directly related to their success with fans but I think he brings up a point: if a guy is brought in and from the get go booked to lose does it give him a fair shot to earn?

I say all this but then look at guys like the Social Outcasts who seem to be having a blast

DMczaf

Just found out my boss is gonna offer/promote me from Business Analyst to Project Manager.

I'll be making Del Rio money, friends!

Bubba T

Brother, I keep my back to the walls all day.

You gotta small package me, because there ain't no roll ups coming my way.

You'll enter the room with two young analysts and lose your title without even being involved in the decision

Then you'll be in third shift feuding with security

Top Bottom