• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Super Strong Style 16 - Thread Edition 2015

Hasney

The mobile stuff is overplayed. They'll cause a bubble burst and those without any other interests (e.g. Not Konami as they got those other machines) will be fucked.

I mean come on, Sega are planning 46 F2P mobile games in one year. At that rate, most of the developers will be scrapping for a tiny part of the pie as they stick to a favourite game or two. Since consoles are fucked in Japan too, they'll end up becoming mostly irrelevant in video gaming.

EDIT: Plus, with Konami, if MGS V is their last big console game, Ground Zeros has already showed me this will be the greatest fucking bow out in history. Go out on that high, hopefully they license out that engine too as it's damn impressive.

klonere

Banned
Boxing fan median age is a LOT older than MMA's. It's kind of like how country music is doing so well compared to other genres today - it's because most of its audience isn't smart enough to know how to rip it off of the internet. Same goes foe boxing - tons of 70 and 60 year olds who don't use them computers don't know how to steal it.

I'd think that that was perhaps boxing's last "big fight" that is a cultural phenom. Too many casuals got burned on Mayweather Pac.

On a not so related question: how much backlash do you think there would be if WWE took WM off the Network and put it up as a ~$30 PPV again? (putting up the broadcast on the Network the next day ofc)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The mobile stuff is overplayed. They'll cause a bubble burst and those without any other interests (e.g. Not Konami as they got those other machines) will be fucked.

I mean come on, Sega are planning 46 F2P mobile games in one year. At that rate, most of the developers will be scrapping for a tiny part of the pie as they stick to a favourite game or two. Since consoles are fucked in Japan too, they'll end up becoming mostly irrelevant in video gaming.

The risks of AAA gaming are far worse than mobile games. You can afford to throw a lot of things as the wall. AAA gaming is a death sentence, and most indie games are nothing but trash. Not all, but most. Hey, just like mobile!

Konami's shit and awful, but they've clearly stopped giving a shit. No meaningful protest even if it happened would change or affect that mindset at this point. What are people going to do, not get their precious last Kojima MGS this year? That's the easiest bluff to call.

Kaladin

That's a hell of a crowd:

11270275_10153237077121328_5816248593457296395_o.jpg

Hasney

The risks of AAA gaming are far worse than mobile games. You can afford to throw a lot of things as the wall. AAA gaming is a death sentence, and most indie games are nothing but trash. Not all, but most. Hey, just like mobile!

Oh yeah, totally. But at some point, if you're expecting multiple game releases every week, it's hard for one to stand out. Where do they throw their marketing dollars? They can't all afford Kate Upton.

Konami's shit and awful, but they've clearly stopped giving a shit. No meaningful protest even if it happened would change or affect that mindset at this point. What are people going to do, not get their precious last Kojima MGS this year? That's the easiest bluff to call.

I did read a few posts saying they weren't going to buy MGS V due to all this, which is fucking hilarious. That'll show them not to abandon AAA gaming, by having their AAA game not sell!

RP912

Banned
People need to understand that in order for businesses to prosper...you either "adapt or perish". Mobile gaming is making a killing without killing profits if the game fails. Companies don't give a crap about people, it's all about the funds at the end of the day. What's the point of feeling ill will towards Konami, when there's plenty of fish in the sea.

It's like when wrestling fans wish ill will on the WWE for being WWE, but not seeking other alternatives.

JavyOO7

I'd think that that was perhaps boxing's last "big fight" that is a cultural phenom. Too many casuals got burned on Mayweather Pac.

Alvarez vs Kirkland fight on HBO did 2.1 million viewers. That's really good.

Mayweather's last fight on his current contract, he said he wants to do it on September... so if he does, while it won't match May/Paq numbers, it will still do 2 million plus. I don't think PPV is dead. How WWE and Vince McMahon promote PPV and hope their casual/hardcore fanbase buy their PPV in massive #'s like in MMA/Boxing... is greatly stunted.

There's a lot WWE could do to entice their fanbase to buy their PPVs in a big #'s often instead of just RR/WM/SummerSlam/Survivor Series... but with so much TV every week, same matches happening too often, and the audience not really invested into the characters WWE throw on TV except for a few characters... its hard to get those big #'s.

Now, if WWE were to implement a 30 day delay on putting WM Star on the network, I think PPV #s for that show would be healthy though some of the fan base would not be too happy with that. If you are a paid subscriber this month you got KOTR (which was "eh" but fun), Payback, NXT TakeOver Unstoppable and Elimination Chamber (from outta no where)... which is great value for 10 bucks (even if the content isn't the best in the world). Going back to a >$9.99, especially for those who have the internet speed to stream WWE Network stuff, would stink quite frankly. WWE has set the gold standard for all their PPV product from here on out... $10 bucks! Which is alright. And its probably because that even though they were making decent money on PPV before the network came out, they still had to share their profit with the PPV companies (60/40 split). At least with the network, presumably all the profit goes to WWE.

Hasney

There was a rumour that Mayweather was going to fight Amir Khan next. While I've enjoyed some of his fights, he's not on that level.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
People need to understand that in order for businesses to prosper...you either "adapt or perish". Mobile gaming is making a killing without killing profits if the game fails. Companies don't give a crap about people, it's all about the funds at the end of the day. What's the point of feeling ill will towards Konami, when there's plenty of fish in the sea.

It's like when wrestling fans wish ill will on the WWE for being WWE, but not seeking other alternatives.

Why don't people just enjoy mobile games and accept they can replace their console games?

klonere

Banned
Mobile is as risk free as it gets. Doesn't matter if 44 of Sega's games fail, if just 2 latch on they'll surely make up for the lost cash. You don't even need to come up with new ideas, just reskin and rejig already popular skinner box games! It's not even really illegal to completely rip one off a lá Threes and 2048! Sure the market is getting super saturated but when all you gotta do is hook in a nice top end of whales its all gucci.

Slight hyperbole

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
To be honest, I'm more interested in a mobile game using the Castlevania license than Bloodstained.

Did you ever play the Symphony of the Night iOS/Android game? I enjoyed it. It's a puzzle game with RPG elements.

Bizazedo

That's a hell of a crowd:
I was on the opposite side, woo!

Not to spoil anything, but Tanahashi-Strong was incredible. Strong was busted open right from the start, and they had a freaking war.

Was a great match. Barney Rubble came out immediately when he was busted open, but Roddy was more or less in "get the fuck away from me with that towel". He eventually took it, but he was bleeding pretty well. Corino even threw / took his headset off at one point, unsure why really.

Red Shoes is reffing!!!!!

Also lol

Fuck 'em up, Red Shoes, fuck 'em up!

Fuck Elgin

I speak for WrassleGAF

Elgin vs Fuchida was 100x better than Elgin vs Naito. Naito versus O'Reilly was fun, too. I still think the first night was better overall, though.

Now we'll see how NXT is tonight, I guess.

Why don't people just enjoy mobile games and accept they can replace their console games?

Because they can't. OK, they can in certain instances, like a turn based strategy or a point & click, but in general they just can't provide the same degree of control, the same level of precision or the same polish and fidelity of console games. I've yet to play a mobile game that engrosses me like Elder Scrolls, or one as immediately satisfying to play as Street Fighter, or one as time devouring as Civilization. Just a bunch of games that are a fun diversion to pass the time but, ultimately, all make me think how much I'd rather be playing sat on my couch, in front of my TV and with a controller in my hand.

JavyOO7

Even Nintendo had to jump on that mobile train since their share holders were none too happy with the direction they were heading. I hope its a success for them but at the same time I hope they don't abandon their console/handheld stuff. They just had to do it due to the market realities, especially in Japan...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
No, I don't see it on the Play Store, was it taken down?

No idea...this was a few years back

Because they can't. OK, they can in certain instances, like a turn based strategy or a point & click, but in general they just can't provide the same degree of control, the same level of precision or the same polish and fidelity of console games. I've yet to play a mobile game that engrosses me like Elder Scrolls, or one as immediately satisfying to play as Street Fighter, or one as time devouring as Civilization. Just a bunch of games that are a fun diversion to pass the time but, ultimately, all make me think how much I'd rather be playing sat on my couch, in front of my TV and with a controller in my hand.

It's just a display and control. Console games can be replaced. They totally can! It's just there's a stigma, and people are continually trying to adapt controller-based games to touch inputs. There's a happy medium we'll hit and games will simply be games, playable anywhere. It's comin'.

I don't disagree that it's not there yet by any means. But once we get past the whole "hold this shit in your hand" stuff, use other displays, and more...we in there.

jmdajr

Why watch Interstellar in real IMAX when you can watch it on your phone. Same experience!

Anyway, basically what it comes down to is these big game experiences on console are going to be less and less and less. A couple a big blockbusters a year and the rest will be kickstarter games.

Oh well. I don't even have time to play so in a way it works for me.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ironic that after all the PC gaming is dead talk it looks like Console gaming is gonna die first.

Well, we all knew it was a sinking ship but just went into caves to find other console fans instead of seeing the big picture. I'm guilty of this too. But I also know things are falling apart at the AAA level.

There's a reason why online communities for a lot of old console games are dying off - it's not because the games are worse, it's because people just stopped.

Fox318

Well, we all knew it was a sinking ship but just went into caves to find other console fans instead of seeing the big picture. I'm guilty of this too. But I also know things are falling apart at the AAA level.

There's a reason why online communities for a lot of old console games are dying off - it's not because the games are worse, it's because people just stopped.

Like the WCW fans that just stopped watching wrestling.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Ironic that after all the PC gaming is dead talk it looks like Console gaming is gonna die first.

come back to these posts when Battlefront comes out and look at consoles sales.

funny how sunny is adamant wwe will never die and if it does, wrestling will die with it but he thinks a more successful venture like kideo game consoles will flame out.

jmdajr

Consoles can keep living as multimedia machines at least. I mean I much rather use them than say a shitty Roku.

The games will be there just less. They'll be like Nintendo systems.

I don't disagree that it's not there yet by any means. But once we get past the whole "hold this shit in your hand" stuff, use other displays, and more...we in there.

I mean, I'm all for that, but I think we're SO far off being able to replicate something as precise as, say...an arcade 2d fighting game without traditional inputs and outputs - maybe console gaming will die off in the near future, but unless there's some startling leap in technology and the way we're fundamentally able to interact with our devices, I don't see what we're going to be left with as being anywhere near as good.

Console gaming no longer being a thing would almost certainly spell the end of my interest.

XenoRaven

I don't analyze sales figures anymore, but isn't the PS4 a huge success? I would hold off on the "console market dying" stuff for the time being.

Japanese publishers are going mobile because they haven't figured out how to make money in the AAA space and mobile is big in Japan right now. Western publishers seem to be doing what they've been doing. I guess we'll see what happens to the talent pool as publishers keep closing studios down. But for now it seems like mobile, PC, and console markets can co-exist just fine.

Fox318

come back to these posts when Battlefront comes out and look at consoles sales.

funny how sunny is adamant wwe will never die and if it does, wrestling will die with it but he thinks a more successful venture like kideo game consoles will flame out.
Except it isn't going to be just about games sales.

When you include expansion packs and for EA server payments I bet they make more money per copy sold on PC than on a console.

Especially since EA on PC can pay no middle man with Origin.

dream

The people who claim that console gaming is doing just fine sound exactly like the Nintendo people who, just a year or two ago, argued that handheld gaming is doing just fine and is in no way being threatened by telephone games.

Boots, you gonna watch the Lucha World Cup iPPV AAA is doing?

Yeah, I'll probably watch the replay, I would watch it live but I'm going to be up London for the PROGRESS Super Strong Style 16 tournament :)

I grabbed the last AAA iPPV and it was good to see them pull off a show relatively trouble free, hopefully it works out for them this time around.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo is lucky as shit they started making toys for adults. Basically gave them a bonus 5-10 years of existing. Don't get me wrong, they're sitting on a bunch of money - but...yknow.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Except it isn't going to be just about games sales.

When you include expansion packs and for EA server payments I bet they make more money per copy sold on PC than on a console.

Especially since EA on PC can pay no middle man with Origin.

pc 'meh ill wait til its 30 cents' gamers?

jmdajr

I don't analyze sales figures anymore, but isn't the PS4 a huge success? I would hold off on the "console market dying" stuff for the time being.

Japanese publishers are going mobile because they haven't figured out how to make money in the AAA space and mobile is big in Japan right now. Western publishers seem to be doing what they've been doing. I guess we'll see what happens to the talent pool as publishers keep closing studios down. But for now it seems like mobile, PC, and console markets can co-exist just fine.

Yup. Best selling console ever with no gamez.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Those are all additional sales they weren't going to get anyway. It's kinda crazy how profitable dirt cheap bullshit can be once the initial sellthrough finishes.

klonere

Banned
i wanna veg out on my couch or sit in a comfy chair on my pc/console not hold some tablet or phone shit.

I also am already an old fart in that I hate hate hate HATE touch controls for most things, especially games.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yup. Best selling console ever with no gamez.

Nah it's got tons of games. Mainly the same shit you can get everywhere else, but there's a bunch of them. It's got good games too, don't get me wrong, that you can't find anywhere else, just fewer of them.

RP912

Banned
I got over the console habit after the jerkfest from E3 2013. It became Sega vs Nintendo if the argument was booked by Russo. The most cringeworthy hyperbole and empty promises made me crawl back to PC gaming. It's tiresome when console games are considered "old" after a few months, while people are still playing friggin Counter Strike 1.4.

Back on topic,

some gamers get caught up on companies like they are family members. Folks need to understand that Konami is a business first. If a company is barely making profit from it's past establishments and seeing a trend that can actually keep the company profitable so thousands of workers won't be on the unemployment line...fuck a Metal Gear. It's not about the gamers sometimes, it's about trying to keep a company alive to see another day. Folks would rather a company put out their favorite game despite the fact that their favorite game isn't a hit no more.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Those are all additional sales they weren't going to get anyway. It's kinda crazy how profitable dirt cheap bullshit can be once the initial sellthrough finishes.

bullshit. valve has done just as much bad with the 'firesale nothing is worth anything' garbage with pc gaming as they have done good.

now everyone HAS to do it to compete and it's killed peoples perceptions when people working for game publishers have publicly stressed how important week 1 sales are. this is like people using 'the piracy was never going to be a sale anyways' argument.

jmdajr

I went to Dave n Busters recently (restaurant/bar/arcade). All the games had been replaced. And what was the new trend?

Games with huge fucking touchscreens! Just basically touch screen TVs.

Fox318

better to get 30 cents for games with a service built in then have console problems like pircacy in Brazil.

Between China, India, East Europe, and Brazil with the service games they can still make their money without having to worry about their games betting sold for 20 cents in the favelas.

Sephzilla

The people who claim that console gaming is doing just fine sound exactly like the Nintendo people who, just a year or two ago, argued that handheld gaming is doing just fine and is in no way being threatened by telephone games.

This generation is shaping up to be the highest selling console generation ever. Clearly console gaming is doing badly.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
better to get 30 cents for games with a service built in then have console problems like pircacy in Brazil.

Between China, India, East Europe, and Brazil with the service games they can still make their money without having to worry about their games betting sold for 20 cents in the favelas.

I don't think the piracy argument is one you want to make.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I can't say I do.

They're gonna eventually blow it somewhere.

bullshit. valve has done just as much bad with the 'firesale nothing is worth anything' garbage with pc gaming as they have done good.

now everyone HAS to do it to compete and it's killed peoples perceptions when people working for game publishers have publicly stressed how important week 1 sales are. this is like people using 'the piracy was never going to be a sale anyways' argument.

I read from a lot of independent one-person or low employee count creators that said these sales are incredible for their game. I know one of them on gaf, Chubigans, is very forthcoming about his sales of Cook Serve Delicious, as an example, and I think there's a gaf thread he made about how much he made off of one of those dirt-ass sales. It surprised me.

Top Bottom