• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Super Strong Style 16 - Thread Edition 2015

Fox318

I went to Dave n Busters recently (restaurant/bar/arcade). All the games had been replaced. And what was the new trend?

Games with huge fucking touchscreens! Just basically touch screen TVs.

When you have an entire generation growing up with Angry Birds and Cut the Rope it would only make sense that they would target that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Steam is currently peddling out more swill and garbage at an exponential rate than the WCW Power Plant.

So if you want more games, there's your more games.

RP912

Banned
I went to Dave n Busters recently (restaurant/bar/arcade). All the games had been replaced. And what was the new trend?

Games with huge fucking touchscreens! Just basically touch screen TVs.

The last time I went to Dave and Busters, the arcade section was probably the most saddest thing I have ever seen. The restaurant portion was friggin huge though. Meanwhile, there's a small corner with a few games that were hits during the early 2000s when arcade games were on life support. It's a shame :(. I spent most of my time on the skeeball games and won my wife a teddy bear and got myself a toosie roll bank.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Steam is currently peddling out more swill and garbage at an exponential rate than the WCW Power Plant.

So if you want more games, there's your more games.

Steam's visual novel section is definitely something.

The last time I went to Dave and Busters, the arcade section was probably the most saddest thing I have ever seen. The restaurant portion was friggin huge though. Meanwhile, there's a small corner with a few games that were hits during the early 2000s when arcade games were on life support. It's a shame :(. I spent most of my time on the skeeball games and won my wife a teddy bear and got myself a toosie roll bank.

Wow. At least you can always play Rush 2049 at Red Robins nationwide.

jmdajr

That's how it was last time I went. But now it's all new and well.... pretty cool! Tons of fucking new games.

RP912

Banned
Steam's visual novel section is definitely something.

Wow. At least you can always play Rush 2049 at Red Robins nationwide.

The sad thing is that they didn't even have Rush 2049 :(. Of course they had House of the Dead games though. House of the Dead is to arcades as Half Life 2 is to pc games.

XenoRaven

I got over the console habit after the jerkfest from E3 2013. It became Sega vs Nintendo if the argument was booked by Russo. The most cringeworthy hyperbole and empty promises made me crawl back to PC gaming. It's tiresome when console games are considered "old" after a few months, while people are still playing friggin Counter Strike 1.4.

Back on topic,

some gamers get caught up on companies like they are family members. Folks need to understand that Konami is a business first. If a company is barely making profit from it's past establishments and seeing a trend that can actually keep the company profitable so thousands of workers won't be on the unemployment line...fuck a Metal Gear. It's not about the gamers sometimes, it's about trying to keep a company alive to see another day. Folks would rather a company put out their favorite game despite the fact that their favorite game isn't a hit no more.
I would absolutely prefer Konami keep Kojima and have him make Silent Hills and a bunch of other shit he wants to make than have them fire him and make shallow ass mobile games. I do not give one single fuck about Konami's bottom line, and no consumer should, apart from how the bottom line affects their ability to make things the consumer likes.

klonere

Banned
baKxl02.gif

NJPW is a lot of fun

XenoRaven

The touchscreen/mobile gaming market right now still feels like the rise and fall of dot coms. That bubble is going to burst hard.
People say this but I don't think it will burst.

Their install base is virtually every person in every non-third world country on planet Earth.

dream

I think a big part of the problem is that many gamers can't enjoy playing a game unless it has a $200M budget and Nolan North voicing a character. You see this sentiment in the monthly PS+ threads, where "hardcore gamers" lament every free game being offered because they don't feature explosions and gore.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Their install base is virtually every person in every non-third world country on planet Earth.

Quite a bit of the third world too. Plenty of countries have skipped over what we'd consider necessary technological development steps and the people just have smartphones.

jmdajr

I think a big part of the problem is that many gamers can't enjoy playing a game unless it has a $200M budget and Nolan North voicing a character. You see this sentiment in the monthly PS+ threads, where "hardcore gamers" lament every free game being offered because they don't feature explosions and gore.

It's fucking free. Hey they can't all be winners.

RP912

Banned
Mine does.

A must play? Because HOTD games <3

of course friend.

HOTD series>>>>>>>>>>

I wish Virtua Cop received the same love in the arcades though....I love that series.

I would absolutely prefer Konami keep Kojima and have him make Silent Hills and a bunch of other shit he wants to make than have them fire him and make shallow ass mobile games. I do not give one single fuck about Konami's bottom line, and no consumer should, apart from how the bottom line affects their ability to make things the consumer likes.

True.

The way Konami handled the whole ordeal was ridiculous, but wasn't the company on the decline as far as sales were concern? Kojima pumping out games that he wanted wouldn't really help the company on a financial level. It would be cool, but the reality is mobile gaming is the hottest thing to hit the industry since Game Genie. Hell, Steam even putting crappy ass F2P mobile games on their store.

Sephzilla

The dot com crash happened just after home computers because a common thing for a home. So i think having a massive install base doesn't magically make you too big to fail.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

We see this reflected everywhere. Even people who just watch WWE despite hating it. Worlds apart? Nah, everything's connected...

The way Konami handled the whole ordeal was ridiculous, but wasn't the company on the decline as far as sales were concerned? Kojima pumping out games that he wanted wouldn't really help the company on a financial level. It would be cool, but the reality is mobile gaming is the hottest thing to hit the industry since Game Genie. Hell, Steam even putting crappy ass F2P mobile games on their store.

I just don't feel Konami owes anyone a game. That's what felt so ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, PT going away makes me sad. But if they're not going to make it, they're not going to make it. They don't owe me a game, much like someone doesn't owe me sex because they touched my dick for 3 seconds.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I should try to get the old light gun games.

Dreamcast is a good system, friend. With a...couple light gun games.

House of the Dead 2
Confidential Mission

I think that might be it.

dream

It's fucking free. Hey they can't all be winners.

The irony is that PS+ has been killing it for the past year. Games like Never Alone, The Unfinished Swan, Valiant Hearts, Rogue Legacy, and The Binding of Isaac Rebirth are better and smarter than shit like Infamous or Killzone or whatever "AAA" game people are clamoring for. But as I've come to suspect, "hardcore gamers" don't actually like games. They like brands, graphics, and publishers.

Fox318

I heard that new professional wrestling thing's pretty good, but people say it's all fake...

I never understand with a thing as old as wrestling everytime you mention that you watch or have watched wrestling somebody tells you its fake like they are letting you in on a secret.

Sephzilla

Man, if Nintendo had someone near the top of the corporate ladder who had a clue about the 21st century I think they'd be fucking killing it right now with sales.

jmdajr

The irony is that PS+ has been killing it for the past year. Games like Never Alone, The Unfinished Swan, Valiant Hearts, Rogue Legacy, and The Binding of Isaac Rebirth are better and smarter than shit like Infamous or Killzone or whatever "AAA" game people are clamoring for. But as I've come to suspect, "hardcore gamers" don't actually like games. They like brands, graphics, and publishers.

I got Guacamelee for free! What horrible person can hate that?

"I already played it!"

Oh well...sorry.

edit: Now that my kid is almost 3, I think I might actually dust off the wii. Touch screen games are still probbaly way more intuitive though.

klonere

Banned
Dreamcast is a good system, friend. With a...couple light gun games.

House of the Dead 2
Confidential Mission

I think that might be it.

were any of the Silent Scope games on Dreamcast? They were fun as hell in the arcades with that weighty ass mounted rifle light gun.

RP912

Banned
We see this reflected everywhere. Even people who just watch WWE despite hating it. Worlds apart? Nah, everything's connected...

I just don't feel Konami owes anyone a game. That's what felt so ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, PT going away makes me sad. But if they're not going to make it, they're not going to make it. They don't owe me a game, much like someone doesn't owe me sex because they touched my dick for 3 seconds.

Of course.

Honestly, the Metal Gear series went out on a high note with Guns of the Patriots. It really didn't need another game at all. The whole argument of "since Konami not supporting us gamers...I'm not buying Metal Gear 5" is a complete oxymoron. You are doing EXACTLY what they want you to do. Stop buying our AAA games and move on.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

To be fair, those games sound like the ROH of vidja games.

If you like Sega lightgun games then the system for you is...

THE ORIGINAL WII.

I don't recall them at all.

Of course.

Honestly, the Metal Gear series went out on a high note with Guns of the Patriots. It really didn't need another game at all. The whole argument of "since Konami not supporting us gamers...I'm not buying Metal Gear 5" is a complete oxymoron. You are doing EXACTLY what they want you to do. Stop buying our AAA games and move on.

I am getting MGS5. Might even pass it on PC to get it on PS4. Just would feel right.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Gimmie Point Blank on the PSX.

God that was fun. Same with Point Black 2 and Time Crisis.

I got Guacamelee for free! What horrible person can hate that?

"I already played it!"

Oh well...sorry.

You get to keep it?

I'm being a shithead. But that's like, Guacamelee's 4th or 5th platform release. :|

Sephzilla

I'm glad I waited on Guacamelee. It looked good but the moment I first saw it my thought was "this looks like something destined to be a PS+ title"

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
were any of the Silent Scope games on Dreamcast? They were fun as hell in the arcades with that weighty ass mounted rifle light gun.

SS1 was, but it didn't use the light gun. Fun game. That Big Snipe Feel.

Of course.

Man, MGS4...As much as I wanted to love it, there wasn't much gameplay. hurt my soul. fuck Kojima's dumb ass for that stupid-ass act 3 cinema that was about 10 hours long of people cocking guns and stacking up. fuck you shitjima.

XenoRaven

of course friend.

HOTD series>>>>>>>>>>

I wish Virtua Cop received the same love in the arcades though....I love that series.

True.

The way Konami handled the whole ordeal was ridiculous, but wasn't the company on the decline as far as sales were concern? Kojima pumping out games that he wanted wouldn't really help the company on a financial level. It would be cool, but the reality is mobile gaming is the hottest thing to hit the industry since Game Genie. Hell, Steam even putting crappy ass F2P mobile games on their store.
No idea about their sales numbers. But if they weren't making money in the console market, it was likely due to mismanagement of their staff and IPs.

I'm just an armchair businessman but I think having a healthy console games division is a valuable resource in the success of your mobile division. Console gamers are a pretty die hard bunch, and if you make something they like, they will be loyal to it. If your IP has buzz and a good reputation with that part of the market, it helps strength the momentum of the IP when you move it into the mobile space.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper is a mobile game that no one would fucking play if it didn't say "Final Fantasy" on it. But they leveraged their IP, played on nostalgia, and actually made a decently fun game. I see people bumping the FFRK thread with a fair amount of regularity. The game is grindy as all hell (coming from someone that plays FFXIV and Destiny), so I imagine a lot of people are paying for IAP stuff.

Top Bottom