• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Super Strong Style 16 - Thread Edition 2015

Sephzilla

image.php

beat me to it

infinityjrue_medium.gif

Well, I'm not sure I can say that it is awesome but it is a surprising market.

I've only touched the minimum stuff really, like Threes and Monument Valley. Amazing stuff and good for a "let me do something while taking a shit" type of deal.

But now that I subscribe to the WWE Network for the low monthly price of $9.99, that is what I do in the bathroom!
If you use android, Amazon is giving away free games and apps again today including Sorcery 3 (haven't played this one but 1&2 are highly recommended) and Five Nights at Freddy's 3.

infinityjrue_medium.gif

If you use android, Amazon is giving away free games and apps again today including Sorcery 3 (haven't played this one but 1&2 are highly recommended) and Five Nights at Freddy's 3.
Whoah, really? I'll go ahead and download them now. I got Five Nights at Freddy's 1 and 2 due to Amazon's past freebies but I never got to playing any of them.

Sephzilla

FNAF games are good. Don't understand the hate.

Me either. They're like 8 dollar budget games that give you a few solid hours of gaming and have (surprisingly deep) lore to them. The bang for your buck with them are great. I think people are just salty that the guy who makes them puts them out at a pace that doesn't really let copycats make much dough.

JavyOO7

I'm kinda disgusted by all of the gamers in this thread. Like I knew we had an anime user or two, but at least they keep their disgusting habits on the DL. It's been two fucking pages of insular video game talk now

Anime... kuroko basketball is good but I still like Slam Dunk better.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Gabe working with Sony on Portal 2 was on some Shane Mcmahon in Nitro shit.

Especially after the "The PS3 is shit" discussion they had. And then nothing came of the Portal 2 stuff! What a weird smoke and mirrors thing. It was like Warrior vs Hogan. "Here's the main event!" and then nothing.

Verendus

Banned
Anime are cartoons, right? Why are they called anime exactly?

What's this Konami stuff? I don't venture into gaming side much.
People overreacting for no real reason. They had success in mobile in the past a few years ago, and are currently competitive after dwindling down a little, so they intend on trying to make the most of it like most companies in that market. Same people will be sucking Konami dick within a couple years, I'm sure. It doesn't take much to get people on your side again. A game or two.

RP912

Banned
Especially after the "The PS3 is shit" discussion they had. And then nothing came of the Portal 2 stuff! What a weird smoke and mirrors thing. It was like Warrior vs Hogan. "Here's the main event!" and then nothing.

Yeah the whole collaboration was just meh....

Beyond Portal 2 and a shit poor CSgo port...that was pretty much it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

exCUSE me, ah-nee-may as a description actually implies QUALITY in their animated works of art, cartoons are stupid fucking baby shit and don't come with the PEDIGREE that animé and manga have fostered for hundreds of years

GOD! so frustrating dealing with CASUALS

Cagey

Banned
exCUSE me, ah-nee-may as a description actually implies QUALITY in their animated works of art, cartoons are stupid fucking baby shit and don't come with the PEDIGREE that animé and manga have fostered for hundreds of years

GOD! so frustrating dealing with CASUALS

8/10. Two points deducted for failure to use baka gaijin.

jmdajr

Some dude at Forbes

I’m just going to say it. Mobile gaming is a cesspool.

That’s overly harsh, and overly broad, and may offend some hard-working, creative mobile devs out there. But the fact remains that for everyone one of them, there are ten untalented hacks slapping together garbage and throwing it onto the app store. And if someone makes a successful game? That number increases a hundred-fold, and the market will drown in countless shovelware games trying to imitate it.
metal gear

Mobile monetization is no better. There are a few games that manage to find a good balance between free-to-play and microtransactions, or just charge a reasonable up-front price, but they’re few and far between. The fact remains that every mobile game I’ve ever played would have been better without items or “features” hidden behind paywalls. But as the public pursues “free” relentlessly, that’s lead to everyone paying more if they want a not-crap game experience through microtransactions.

The fact that mobile games are hugely profitable is not some testament to their quality. It’s just because many have tapped into a primal part of the human brain that becomes addicted to small rewards. So many mobile games are now little more than slightly-more-involved slot machines. Some, like Game of War which literally features a slot machine to dole out items and bonuses, aren’t even more than that. It’s no wonder that gambling-focused Konami, who makes a fortune from Pachinko machines, thinks this is “the future.”

I always thought of the Wii as king of shovelware...

I once called them Japanimation thinking I had the proper term and was sternly rebuked. Frankly even if I don't know the difference I'll still call them anime because I can't afford to be publicly shamed online.

Heel

Mobile gaming is awesome.

You're on the right side of history, friend. Can't say the same for the rest of these crusty ass kideo gamers denying their mobile gaming future, as predicted by dream and I many years ago.

Enjoy Bayo 3 on your Android tablet or Kindle device, Chamber. That's the only way you're ever going to see it.

Verendus

Banned
I understand they're cartoons from Japan, I know that much. Is there a particular reason they're called anime by English speaking people? That part, I don't understand, and I haven't really bothered ever reading about it since I don't care. My understanding was that they call all cartoons anime in Japan, even if they're foreign. As in, that's their word for it. We call it cartoons, they call it anime. That's how I understood it. There's been great cartoons, like Batman TAS, Gargoyles, and DBZ, so I'm not trying to hate or anything. I watched cartoons too.

I still catch Disney stuff on occasion.

I understand they're cartoons from Japan, I know that much. Is there a particular reason they're called anime by English speaking people? My understanding was that they call all cartoons anime in Japan, even if they're foreign. As in, that's their word for it. There's been great cartoons, like Batman TAS, Gargoyles, and DBZ, so I'm not trying to hate or anything. I watched cartoons too.

I still catch Disney stuff on occasion.

Wikipedia said:
Anime is an art form, specifically animation, that includes all genres found in cinema, but it can be mistakenly classified as a genre.[8]:7 In Japan, the term anime refers to all forms of animation from around the world.[1][9] English-language dictionaries define anime as a "Japanese-style animated film or television entertainment" or as "a style of animation created in Japan".[2][10]

The etymology of the word anime is disputed. The English term "animation" is written in Japanese katakana as アニメーション (animēshon, pronounced [animeːɕoɴ]),[3] and is アニメ (anime) in its shortened form.[3] Some sources claim that anime derives from the French term for animation, dessin animé,[11][12] but others believe this to be a myth derived from the French popularity of the medium in the late 1970s and 1980s.[3] In English, anime, when used as a common noun, normally functions as a mass noun (for example: "Do you watch anime?", "How much anime have you collected?").[13] Prior to the widespread use of anime, the term Japanimation was prevalent throughout the 1970s and 1980s. In the mid-1980s, the term anime began to supplant Japanimation.[11][14] In general, the term now only appears in period works where it is used to distinguish and identify Japanese animation.[14]

In 1987, Hayao Miyazaki stated that he despised the truncated word "Anime" because to him it represented the desolation of the Japanese animation industry. He equated the desolation with animators lacking motivation and mass-produced, overly expressive products which rely on fixed iconography for facial expressions and protracted and exaggerated action scenes but lack depth and sophistication because they do not attempt to convey emotion or thought.[15]

Verendus

Banned
I could've googled too, damn it. You were supposed to mesmerise me with your own thoughts. That's communication.

So basically, I'm kind of right. Just English speaking people refer to Japan cartoons as anime for whatever reason. It doesn't matter anyway.

Cagey

Banned
In 1987, Hayao Miyazaki stated that he despised the truncated word "Anime" because to him it represented the desolation of the Japanese animation industry. He equated the desolation with animators lacking motivation and mass-produced, overly expressive products which rely on fixed iconography for facial expressions and protracted and exaggerated action scenes but lack depth and sophistication because they do not attempt to convey emotion or thought.[15]

That's enough for me to treat this as real moving forward.

570.gif

jmdajr

That's enough for me to treat this as real moving forward.

570.gif

http://kotaku.com/how-the-godfather-of-anime-screwed-up-modern-anime-1704419450

How The "Godfather of Anime" Screwed Up Modern Anime

Back in 1963, Japan released its very first domestically made anime. Titled, Astro Boy and based on the manga of the same name, the anime achieved unprecedented popularity and started an animation boom in Japan. Unfortunately, this set the template of how animation was developed in Japan. From the article:

“However, at the time, the real focus of TV was “dramas.” Thanks to the societal perception that ‘anime = shows for kids’ the production costs paid to Mushi Productions was apparently very low. So Osamu Tezuka tried to make up for it by cutting back on production costs and through merchandising of toys. If they still could not make ends meet, he eagerly invested his own wealth that he had made from his manga.”

Basically, Tezuka did a George Lucas and supported his creation through merchandising and his own money. This lay the groundwork for the anime production model: Make an anime a cheaply as possible and make up the loss through tie-in goods and character merch. Because Tezuka was basically the God of manga in Japan, no one questioned his methods and this became the norm.

Interestingly enough, the man viewed as a modern Master of anime, Hayao Miyazaki openly defied the Tezuka model, creating Studio Ghibli, a production studio that hired animators as employees on a fixed salary rather than temps working on commission.

klonere

Banned
Top 5 mobile games without micro transactions.

Well...I don't know any.

1. Knights of the Old Republic
2. Monument Valley
3. The Swapper
4. Minecraft: Pocket Edition
5. Desert Golf

Definitely not a list of the only mobile games I've played

You're on the right side of history, friend. Can't say the same for the rest of these crusty ass kideo gamers denying their mobile gaming future, as predicted by dream and I many years ago.

Enjoy Bayo 3 on your Android tablet or Kindle device, Chamber. That's the only way you're ever going to see it.

Swipe left for punch, right for kick, and tap with two fingers for climax... the game's also completely on rails.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You don't find that crazy? I think it's crazy.

She knows how to dial my number from his contacts list.

No, it is crazy. It shows she can think. Kids aren't supposed to be able to think until at least 7.

jmdajr

My kid was already walking by 10 months. We didn't get this far by brains developing slow.

However, we have stuff like WWE to turn back the wheels on brain evolution.

Cagematch is such a wonderful resource for wrestling data, but it's like youtube...scroll down and read the comments at your own peril;

"Most overrated pro wrestler in the history. Chris Jerichoo is kind of a guy who needs to have an A+ worker in the ring with him to have a good watchable match. His mic skills are also overrated, I mean has this guy really cut any memorable promos? He sure is no Paul Heyman, The Rock or Ric Flair on the mic."

I laffed at Jerichoo. Freight Train vs Jerichoo match, plz.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Cagematch is such a wonderful resource for wrestling data, but it's like youtube...scroll down and read the comments at your own peril;

"Most overrated pro wrestler in the history. Chris Jerichoo is kind of a guy who needs to have an A+ worker in the ring with him to have a good watchable match. His mic skills are also overrated, I mean has this guy really cut any memorable promos? He sure is no Paul Heyman, The Rock or Ric Flair on the mic."

I laffed at Jerichoo. Freight Train vs Jerichoo match, plz.

I get a lot of interesting spellings looking at wwe.com FB comments. It's all gold to me. Choo choo! Ice Train and Night Train need to be in on this fatal 4-way.

Top Bottom