• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Super Strong Style 16 - Thread Edition 2015

tm24

Naito is in Los Ingobernable.
CGD28RTVEAEQS2u.jpg

CMLL doing what NJPW won't. :')

Have you ever seen Liger's work as the rudo luchador destroyer? It's amazing stuff

ROH on Destination America is pretty awesome. Hope its the incentive ROH has needed to put more thought and work on their TV show.

I've greatly enjoyed TNA in the past and would say they had a pretty consistently entertaining promotion from 2004-2010ish, but they've been in a downward spiral ever since Hogan and co came in and the damage they've left has never seemed to fade away.

Guys like Roode and Aries will likely be fine but I feel bad for guys like Young and Storm who are talented but likely won't get another shot at anything large again.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I was under the impression Dutch/Zeb left to spend more time with his family. After getting a law passed in memory of his granddaughter, which took years to do, and a lot of effort to recover from.

watching the lucha underground may20th ep , my first time watching the promotion, only 30mins in but i really like it so far, i kinda like this bleak dark club like feel to it. The spanish Theme music is awesome too

Aiii

So not worth it
CM Punk after Darren Young came out:
“After his brutal match with Brock Lesnar he was all iced up and I hadn't seen him since I made my announcement. He came up to me in catering and told me to stand up, you know, in front of people. I stood up, and he gave me a hug. He said ‘I’m proud of you. If you ever have any problems with anyone in the locker room, you let me know. I got your back.’ That meant the most to me.”

What a stand-up guy.

Darren Young mini-doc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1tB8cqOfS0

jmdajr

Signing all that indy Talent for NXT on the cheap seems like a good move. They can even stay off of Vince's sacred show until he changes his mind... or not.

kiguel182

Signing all that indy Talent for NXT on the cheap seems like a good move. They can even stay off of Vince's sacred show until he changes his mind... or not.

At this point is for the best.

When they showed Becky's segment on this episode all I could think was "no way they would do this on Raw". They are better off on NXT, except money wise.

But with NXT touring + merch and all their grow I can see the talent earning some good money there in the future.

klonere

Banned
Owens did an in ring interview on Smackdown with Michael Cole.

It's like he's been in WWE for 5 years not a few months. Dude is a total natural and has his character down to a tee. Typical Smackdown crowd though so not that hot a reaction.

Sephzilla

So Twitch basically banned Hatred without saying they're banning Hatred. Yet Mortal Kombat X is perfectly okay to stream even though it's one of the most violent games ever.

I don't fucking get this industry.

jmdajr

At this point is for the best.

When they showed Becky's segment on this episode all I could think was "no way they would do this on Raw". They are better off on NXT, except money wise.

But with NXT touring + merch and all their grow I can see the talent earning some good money there in the future.

Gotta pay better than the actual Indy's for sure. I'm digging the process they have going on.

So Twitch basically banned Hatred without saying they're banning Hatred. Yet Mortal Kombat X is perfectly okay to stream even though it's one of the most violent games ever.

I can't muster the energy to pretend I'm upset at the "censorship" of Hatred.

klonere

Banned

I guess MKX is couched in a completely detached from reality fantasy world with a bunch of off the wall shit going on

Hatred is framed very much in our world as a supposedly once normal dude going off the rails and you get to act out his genocidal fantasies in the "real world". Also the devs probably geniuenly believe they are making some sort of grand social statement about violence in society. Anymore free advertising than they've gotten for the game is too much.

I guess MKX is couched in a completely detached from reality fantasy world with a bunch of off the wall shit going on

Hatred is framed very much in our world as a supposedly once normal dude going off the rails and you get to act out his genocidal fantasies in the "real world". Also the devs probably geniuenly believe they are making some sort of grand social statement about violence in society. Anymore free advertising than they've gotten for the game is too much.

Well, they're more concerned about having a playground to take out those darn ess jay dubus, but yeah.

Sephzilla

The funny thing is that I'm pretty sure banning it on Twitch (coupled with all of the publicity sites have given it) will just create a Streisand effect that makes people want to see it even more.

klonere

Banned
The funny thing is that I'm pretty sure banning it on Twitch (coupled with all of the publicity sites have given it) will just create a Streisand effect that makes people want to see it even more.

given the structure of twitch/hitbox and how they are monetized I'd say that there aren't many streamers going to jump over to Hitbox or a similar service just to make pennies off a fad game

youtubers might see a small upswing in views but thats about it

kiguel182

Gotta pay better than the actual Indy's for sure. I'm digging the process they have going on.

It's great. Even if I they will eventually need an actual developmental territory since NXT is more and more an actual brand and product ahah.

I could give two fucks about Hatred myself. I just think it's funny that Hatred made everyone mentally time warp back to the days when people thought GTA turned us into violent monsters.

It's totally different. People aren't saying you'll be a monster if you play Hatred. They are simply saying that Hatred is a disgusting game made by awful people and Twitch (and Neogaf) don't want to help publicise it. They have every right to do and in this case they are totally in the right.

Just because something it's a game doesn't mean you can do whatever and they say "it's just a game, no harm done."

EDIT: And yeah, violence in the context of Mortal Kombat and on Hatred is completely different. It's not about violence itself but about the context of said violence.

Sephzilla

It's totally different. People aren't saying you'll be a monster if you play Hatred. They are simply saying that Hatred is a disgusting game made by awful people and Twitch (and Neogaf) don't want to help publicise it. They have every right to do and in this case they are totally in the right.

Just because something it's a game doesn't mean you can do whatever and they say "it's just a game, no harm done."

Except they're kind of doing the opposite

EDIT: And yeah, violence in the context of Mortal Kombat and on Hatred is completely different. It's not about violence itself but about the context of said violence.

Then what about GTA, where you can just walk down a road gunning everyone down?

Sephzilla

Only if you want to and it's never driven by anger or revenge. Where as the other game is clearly about a specific vendetta about murdering innocent people

So one is plot driven and one is literally only because the player wants to live out murder fantasies.

Which one is the worse game again?

Gurrry

I just looked up gameplay of hatred to see what the fuss is about. Looks like a shitty mobile game. People need to calm down. This isnt going to be any different than any other violent game out there now.

klonere

Banned
So one is plot driven and one is literally only because the player wants to live out murder fantasies.

its turns out that humans, not video games, are the true monsters

Hatred is indeed setup by the developers 100% intentionally as a game where the only thing you can do is murder innocent people

i think murder rampages haven't been the thing to do in GTA games since Vice City as the games have incorporated so many other elements into the game for the player to pursue. Hell even the top down ones where you got points for murdering innocents pushed the whole "its an action movie where you are the director!" and open world angles.

Sephzilla

I just looked up gameplay of hatred to see what the fuss is about. Looks like a shitty mobile game. People need to calm down. This isnt going to be any different than any other violent game out there now.

Yeah, the game is completely unremarkable.

its turns out that humans, not video games, are the true monsters

Hatred is indeed setup by the developers 100% intentionally as a game where the only thing you can do is murder innocent people

i think murder rampages haven't been the thing to do in GTA games since Vice City as the games have incorporated so many other elements into the game for the player to pursue. Hell even the top down ones where you got points for murdering innocents pushed the whole "its an action movie where you are the director!" and open world angles.

Trevor goes on a hipster murder rampage in GTAV

kiguel182

Except they're kind of doing the opposite

Then what about GTA, where you can just walk down a road gunning everyone down?

Your mission in GTA isn't to kill innocent people. The game doesn't tell you to do that. It does give you liberty to do that. And it has much, much more to it that that.

And even you want to do that and start killing people the context of it isn't "I hate society and everyone should die". Unless that's your posture while doing because it isn't what's happening in the game.

Again, it's all about context. Carmaggedon's goal is also to kill bystanders but it does it in a campy and dumb fun kinda way that so people understand it.

Aiii

So not worth it
Speaking of hatred, arguing with Nintendo fanboys about the Wii U is the absolutely worst.

How can people be so blind out of dedication to a commercial company. It's like WiiUMecca.com

Like I said, I can't muster up the energy to defend a game like that designed to attract the GG crowd. It's not about the gameplay, it's the 3edgy5me community around the game I have a problem with.

kiguel182

You seem to not understand tone and context.

You can't look at the tone of Hatred and GTA and say they are the same. They aren't.

And GTA gets plenty of criticism as it is. It's not like everyone aproves of those aspects of the game. But, even at it's worse, GTA doesn't approach the tone of what hatred is doing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I like how chants get no sold in the Lucha Underground crowds. It's like there's that one PWG smark that always tries to get one done and either gets no sold or it dies out in like 3 seconds.

Yeah, I don't even know why I'm wasting energy on it. I guess I'm trying to prove that it's a mediocre game that's no worse than anything else out there already.
Oh yeah, totally, the game itself is like sub-Postal level edgyness.

I like how chants get no sold in the Lucha Underground crowds. It's like there's that one PWG smark that always tries to get one done and either gets no sold or it dies out in like 3 seconds.

Are you the one that hates all the indy/NXT chants?

Sephzilla

You seem to not understand tone and context.

You can't look at the tone of Hatred and GTA and say they are the same. They aren't.

And GTA gets plenty of criticism as it is. It's not like everyone aproves of those aspects of the game. But, even at it's worse, GTA doesn't approach the tone of what hatred is doing.

I dunno, when I look at Hatred i pretty much just see a slightly more serious take on Trevor Phillips from GTAV.

Top Bottom