• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Super Strong Style 16 - Thread Edition 2015

Sephzilla

I suppose there's that, but Emma also bombed on the main roster.

Emma bombing was everything to do with main roster creative, not NXT crowds.

Besides that I haven't said anything about Full Sail considering this last episode they were in Orlando.

firefly.gif

...Full Sail is basically in Orlando

Heel

Are we pretending Full Sailors are booing Dana Brooke because she's a heel? I don't even know why you're engaging in this conversation, Plywood.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
A crowd shitting on or loving something at the drop of a dime is not a good measurement for long term sustainability.
Emma bombing was everything to do with main roster creative, not NXT.
Then I'd argue the same applies to everyone else, but the fact of the matter is and this is something that's been apparent for a very long time and that is: you get over on your own.
Emma bombing was everything to do with main roster creative, not NXT.

firefly.gif

Full Sail is basically in Orlando
Forgive me I wouldn't live anywhere near Florida.

Heel

Let's not be disingenuous, friends. Dana Brooke is being booed because the awful Full Sail audience knows she didn't spend the last decade fighting in front of a few dozen smarks in a middle school gymnasium. Let's not apologize for these Full Sail cretins and pretend they're mad that she flexes her biceps.

kiguel182

A crowd shitting on or loving something at the drop of a dime is not a good measurement for long term sustainability.

Then I'd argue the same applies to everyone else, but the fact of the matter is and this is something that's been apparent for a very long time and that is: you get over on your own.

Forgive me I wouldn't live anywhere near Florida.

You get over on your own? That's some Vince logic right there.

The main writers didn't get emma so she bombed. It's nothing to do with her.

Some guys like Adam Rose bombed because their gimmick didn't work in the main roster but that's not what happened to Emma.

With the whole way mid card talent is booked on Raw is very hard for anyone to get over. The ones that do are booked at an higher level like Bray or The Shield.

Cagey

Banned
Let's not be disingenuous, friends. Dana Brooke is being booed because the awful Full Sail audience knows she didn't spend the last decade fighting in front of a few dozen smarks in a middle school gymnasium. Let's not apologize for these Full Sail cretins and pretend they're mad that she flexes her biceps.

This is correct. Dana Brooke was doomed from the moment her past revealed a lack of indie experience. That she was a fitness competitor and got hired based in part on a quality physique is a 3x multipler of hatred for smarks. The only way to offset such booing is to have some sort of ironic gimmick. Carmella has gotten the same treatment from crowd from the moment she appeared while Cerulean Pants gets cheered.

It's been covered earlier in this thread, but honestly, going from giving brutal powerbombs to being paired up with fucking Santino will kill any talent regardless of their ability.

Emma's gimmick was always trash, but she's way better in the ring than Raw has allowed her to show.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
The environment they operate in is "dont get over if Vince doesn't want you over"
Well it is his company. Do you honestly think Bryan could've had his "organic" WM30 moment if Vince hadn't given the okay?
If only she had been #payingdues out there in the indays.

klonere

Banned
Hype, can't wait to see him kill everyone.

I feel like Rollins will have it till at least RR.

That'd be a hell of a run which would be awesome to see if they let Rollins get a bit more real heat that isn't weasel heel stuff.

I think they are getting it off him at SS but I wouldn't be surprised if they did it at Battlegrounds either.

Either that or Lesnar will have to go through KANE at Battlegrounds to get to Rollins at SS

klonere

Banned
If NXT is going to tour a lot more and become a separate brand like HHH wants, this argument your having isn't going to matter because they've proven they can draw similar "Full Sail" crowds to arenas in wrestling cities. I highly doubt we'll see NXT go to Corpus Christi.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I'm convinced Bork's going to be a surprise entrant in MitB and get the briefcase. Then proceed to screw with Rollins.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
If NXT is going to tour a lot more and become a separate brand like HHH wants, this argument your having isn't going to matter because they've proven they can draw similar "Full Sail" crowds to arenas in wrestling cities. I highly doubt we'll see NXT go to Corpus Christi.
I've been saying NXT crowd since the start. wtf

kiguel182

Well it is his company. Do you honestly think Bryan could've had his "organic" WM30 moment if Vince hadn't given the okay?

If only she had been #payingdues out there in the indays.

Who cares the reason that they boo her?

Their business is to please the crowd. If the crowd doesn't like something you change it until they like it.

Yes, the mark crowds can be bad ("we are awesome" is a bullshit chant) but when it comes to liking performers or booing they can do whatever they want. And then the booking adapts to that to give them what they want.

You have to adapt to the crowd not the other way around. If you can't get the crowd to boo your heels or cheer your faces they you are doing a crappy job at that.

Owens showed how good he is this episode when people were cheering for him and he deflected it and got some heel heat on him by insulting Zayn. That's how it's done.

Heroman

Banned
That'd be a hell of a run which would be awesome to see if they let Rollins get a bit more real heat that isn't weasel heel stuff.

I think they are getting it off him at SS but I wouldn't be surprised if they did it at Battlegrounds either.

Either that or Lesnar will have to go through KANE at Battlegrounds to get to Rollins at SS
I don't , Brock era was one of the worst eras ever.

klonere

Banned
I don't , Brock era was one of the worst eras ever.

Really? Brock's reign on its own terms was pretty damn awesome because it was so different (not totally overexposed on TV every week, feeling "real", Heyman). Everything that surrounded it was pretty terrible I'd agree. Or are you talking about his pre UFC run?

Kaiterra

Banned
If someone has a problem with indie wrestling and indie crowds they should probably just not watch NXT. Because it's obvious that they're not just running NXT as a developmental system now, but also as an in-house indie promotion that is geared towards the indie crowd.

Brock with the briefcase would be absolutely hilarious, especially if he immediately cashed in right after he won. Then just jogged in place waiting for Rollins

kirblar

Does anyone remember the name of that gay tag team that used to be on rawsd early 2000? I only remember the gifs. Looked like a hilarious storyline with the wedding and all
I think everyone was pleasantly shocked that they managed to write themselves out of the corner they had put themselves in with such an insane left-field payoff.

Aiii

So not worth it

She is being booed because she has no timing, no sense of positioning, no flow and no presence. They put her on TV way too early.

The full sail crowd gives no shits about indies and such, they care about good characters that endear themselves to them. Dana is green as grass and it shows, they decided to put her on TV due to the whole Arnold bodybuilding thing, fine, but there you go.

Also, she is a heel, so they boo her, duh.

kirblar

NXT is never going to be on the road nearly as much as RAW/SD, simply because they need the downtime. But 3 dates every other week seems completely reasonable.

Brock w/ the briefcase is actually a hilariously awesome idea. The only full-time guy on the roster who I'd even consider giving it to right now is Cesaro, and he may not even really need it.

Sephzilla

Please don't put words in my mouth Friendzilla.

Sorry Friendwood, just trying to explain why people are doing that :(

But she's in developmental...

It seems like even their developmental promotion has "stages". There are the NXT wrestlers who aren't ready for TV yet (Solomon Crowe was in this zone for fucking ever) and the ones who are. She's obviously in developmental (which is why I personally try not to be hard on her) but I think she got rushed to NXT TV too fast.

But she's in developmental...

NXT isn't developmental anymore. Its a touring brand with TV and regular specials headlined by workers with years of experience. Anyone who watches Sasha Banks and then Dana would think she's terrible and then start booing. Its one of the most honest reactions we've seen from that crowd.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm not going to sit here and defend Davey Richards or Eddie Edwards because fucking both bore me to tears. But they didn't get signed because they didn't have anything 'special' right? Ok, so why are Blake and Murphy there? Why are they the tag team champions? Blake and Murphy are every generic WWE tag team of the last 10 years rolled into one. They're Teacher's Pet, They're Gymini, The Dicks, Heartthrobs, Kid Kash & Jamie Noble, Jesse and Festus.

Like holy hell those guys need a character and Alexa Bliss's backside isn't a character
NXT isn't developmental anymore. Its a touring brand with TV and regular specials headlined by workers with years of experience. Anyone who watches Sasha Banks and then Dana would think she's terrible and then start booing. Its one of the most honest reactions we've seen from that crowd.

OVW had TV and regular specials, and it was still a developmental. It wouldn't be there if Vince thought it was just a third brand.8

kirblar

It's definitely still developmental. It's just being headlined by Indy vets to help get eyeballs and media attention. It's a good mix.

JavyOO7

I haven't watched NXT since TakeOver Rival... so I'm missing out on quite a bit of non sense in NXT land. Mainly, want to see what my boy Baron Corbin is up to now...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I haven't watched NXT since TakeOver Rival... so I'm missing out on quite a bit of non sense in NXT land. Mainly, want to see what my boy Baron Corbin is up to now...

Doing the exact same thing he's been doing since his debut. It's like they're terrified to put him in anything that's not a guaranteed win for him.

Top Bottom