• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Super Strong Style 16 - Thread Edition 2015

Zach

Kevin Owens at the store buying the suit.

tumblr_n270wcuwaX1qh59n0o6_500.png

I like you, Guzim.

DMczaf

Bryan Alvarez has been saying on the podcasts that he's heard WWE is planning a huge debut for Balor on the main roster. #cantwait

klonere

Banned
Worse, it was the capstone to one of the more originally promising feuds, Ambrose-Rollins. Stopped watching RAW around this time because of how bad the creative got.

Yeah it was a huge momentum killer for all involved. I think its the biggest black mark against Wyatt so far. I know they didn't want to conclusively blow off Rollins/Ambrose but man, that was the worst shit. Stone Cold Ambrose needs better

Bryan Alvarez has been saying on the podcasts that he's heard WWE is planning a huge debut for Balor on the main roster. #cantwait

I'm pretty nervous about this. Balor isn't as smooth on the mic as Owens and his gimmick could be horrifically fucked up. His non-demon character needs work as well.

Guys, I gonna be honest with yaw, rusev has always been and will always be in the mid card.

Rusev can main event. He's got fantastic mic work and facials, charismatic as fuck in ring and as soon as he gets Lana back (!!!!!!) he's ready to be fed to Lesnar in some absolute slobberknockers.

gurudyne

Yeah it was a huge momentum killer for all involved. I think its the biggest black mark against Wyatt so far. I know they didn't want to conclusively blow off Rollins/Ambrose but man, that was the worst shit. Stone Cold Ambrose needs better

I don't want to lay it all at Wyatt's feet. Creative's direction with Ambrose has been bipolar at best--he's either a lunatic with an edge or Bugs Bunny with wacky props. Consistency's shit. And Wyatt's creative hasn't been any better--every feud since his debut has been "Rant on the mic" with no overarching direction other than what he says. Words need to be backed up with actions, but they never are. Nothing anyone does has any consequences except Brock.

DMczaf

I think it was Alvarez or Meltzer that said the WWE writers and Vince like writing Ambrose's goofy ass shit. It makes them laugh.

Ambrose is toast.

Zach

I don't want to lay it all at Wyatt's feet. Creative's direction with Ambrose has been bipolar at best--he's either a lunatic with an edge or Bugs Bunny with wacky props. Consistency's shit. And Wyatt's creative hasn't been any better--every feud since his debut has been "Rant on the mic" with no overarching direction other than what he says. Words need to be backed up with actions, but they never are. Nothing anyone does has any consequences except Brock.

Maybe Ambrose and co. should grow a pair and own their characters. If something doesn't make sense, say so.

But that's not what wrestlers do nowadays, right?

DMczaf

Maybe Ambrose and co. should grow a pair and own their characters. If something doesn't make sense, say so.

He bitches about it on podcasts, that's about it. Just like these other millennials like Ziggler.

I miss Punk.

klonere

Banned

Yeah you nailed it right there. Rollins even struggles to impact the show in any significant way, he's J&J to Steph + HHH. Payback and ER were just rematch city. God knows when this will change.

If Cena wins tonight I want it to be in a pool of his own blood

DMczaf

It's surprising that Vince is pushing Kevin Owens with the "I've been doing this for 15 years" stuff. Usually he's like "Fuck you, you are new to these people so that means you are new to this business!!!"

klonere

Banned
He bitches about it on podcasts, that's about it. Just like these other millennials like Ziggler.

I miss Punk.

he used to when it was 3 of them in the Shield. Everyone's heard the story about creative wanting to split the Shield up way earlier but they'd always go to Vince as 3 and say "no". Same to any questionable ideas.

Now that they are split up they just gotta go out and do the job. Y'all were bitching out on Cody a while back cos he was mouthing off on Twitter and was reportedly "difficult to work with backstage".

klonere

Banned
It's surprising that Vince is pushing Kevin Owens with the "I've been doing this for 15 years" stuff. Usually he's like "Fuck you, you are new to these people so that means you are new to this business!!!"

HHH probably showed Vince Kevin's shirt sales and said hands off pops, I'm about to make some real money with this fat guy. No way this is a Vince joint.

Fox318

BNB's king gimmick is so stupid.

King of the Ring worked for fucking brock because he got a title shot and it showed him off to be a beats.

A King gimmick is almost never any good.

Its New Generation era shit.

Whats next Vince, gonna have Rusev dress up as the goon?

Guzim

HHH probably showed Vince Kevin's shirt sales and said hands off pops, I'm about to make some real money with this fat guy. No way this is a Vince joint.

Vince definitely saw Kevin Owens eating a steak, and he thought to himself, "This is a man!"

My fiance and I are really excited for Elimination Chamber tonight. It's her first Elimination Chamber match and she gets to see two in one night.

I'm slow cooking pulled pork right now and am going to make Bacon Mac & Cheese for the viewing.

DMczaf

My fiance and I are really excited for Elimination Chamber tonight. It's her first Elimination Chamber match and she gets to see two in one night.

I'm slow cooking pulled pork right now and am going to make Bacon Mac & Cheese for the viewing.

Hook my plate up, breh.

Sou Da

Haven't been here in a while. We begrudgingly admit that the US open challenges are consistently the best matches of RAW so far?

Caught every feeling known to man with Ryder that night.

gurudyne

I see people say this is how it's done, but the elephant in the room is Zach Ryder. Dude went and did something of his own volition, did what the bosses said they wanted--got over through his own ingenuity and hard work--then got hit hard. Taking to Twitter and complaining wasn't the best idea, but his greatest shot at advancement in the company just got destroyed for no good reason (and if that Vince prank story is true, they were particularly cruel about it.)

Vince says he wants people who will push back, but he's the only game in town. There's a bigger incentive now to not piss off the bosses than there was a while ago. Basically, if you want to keep your retirement plan intact, you can either suck it up and go along with whatever they say (which will likely be shit) and smile about it, or you can risk your standing backstage to try to improve things with people who've shown they don't know what they want and have huge ego issues.

klonere

Banned
I feel Balor needs more character.

there's lots that can be done with Balor character wise which is super dangerous because that means many more ways to fuck him up. I think he should just be more laid back, introverted guy who wins easy without trying against most but when really challenged will lose without going to the demon. Demon form is bad for the "real" him or something, not just a "I now kick out of your finisher" mode.

Man, he'll probably end up as a goofy Hulk "Yew woahant loike me whuen O'im angry mate".

Zach

I see people say this is how it's done, but the elephant in the room is Zach Ryder. Dude went and did something of his own volition, did what the bosses said they wanted--got over through his own ingenuity and hard work--then got hit hard. Taking to Twitter and complaining wasn't the best idea, but his greatest shot at advancement in the company just got destroyed for no good reason (and if that Vince prank story is true, they were particularly cruel about it.)

Vince says he wants people who will push back, but he's the only game in town. There's a bigger incentive now to not piss off the bosses than there was a while ago. Basically, if you want to keep your retirement plan intact, you can either suck it up and go along with whatever they say (which will likely be shit) and smile about it, or you can risk your standing backstage to try to improve things with people who've shown they don't know what they want and have huge ego issues.

That was the post-Monday Night Wars, pre-WWE Network dark ages of wrassle, so I can't comment on Zach Ryder.

styl3s

I prefer this combination.

maybe kevin owens stood up for himself and wrestled vince backstage
I like to imagine that Owens came into the kitchen area after showering and saw Vince eating his lunch and Owens smacked the sandwich out of his hand and Vince said "DO IT, DO IT, DOOO IIITTT" and then a 7 minute family guy chicken vs peter like fight broke out and after Owens powerbombs Vince through the windshield of his car Vince yells "ILL SEE YOU ON MONDAY GODDAMMIT" and then proceeded to get into the car with the broken windshield and drove home.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The Daemon Finn Balor doesn't work in today's WWE. It's as stupid as The Daemon Kane but at least Kane has the fallback of 'Well, when he did it it was a little more accepted. Still stupid though.'

Finn just looks so out of place with his dancing that anyone new to it likely thinks he's on drugs or has some mental issues. Bray's character is ridiculous, but everything he does looks like a real thing that could really exist despite his crazy swamp druids. Finn is a daemon.. but he's not? But he is? They lean way too hard with it. Finn isn't over, the body paint is.

Haven't been here in a while. We begrudgingly admit that the US open challenges are consistently the best matches of RAW so far?

Caught every feeling known to man with Ryder that night.

Cena is the most notable thing to happen to the US title since...well John Cena 2004 I suppose.

Kaladin

The closest thing WWE has had to the demon aspect of Finn Balor is when Rey Mysterio would dress as comic characters for big matches.

That worked for a pop, but Balor's gimmick is that he's better when he's in the paint. I think ti will work, and work well.

klonere

Banned
The Daemon Finn Balor doesn't work in today's WWE. It's as stupid as The Daemon Kane but at least Kane has the fallback of 'Well, when he did it it was a little more accepted. Still stupid though.'

Finn just looks so out of place with his dancing that anyone new to it likely thinks he's on drugs or has some mental issues. Bray's character is ridiculous, but everything he does looks like a real thing that could really exist despite his crazy swamp druids. Finn is a daemon.. but he's not? But he is? They lean way too hard with it. Finn isn't over, the body paint is.

If he's going to stick with the Demon stuff I hope he drops the dumb ass dreads.

I wonder how over the Real Rock n Rolla gimmick would be.

I miss Punk.

Even Punk said fighting against the writers / road agents is a waste of time. You might win one fight then they hate you and try to screw you over until you go crazy, no show, and join the UFC. Maybe Ambrose should start working on his Muay Thai?

I don't object to the concept of a character donning war paint to unleash a metaphorical 'demon' within himself, but it's the sort of thing that needs to be saved for the finale of a blood feud, not something trotted out on every PPV or network special. Also, for the lengths he goes to looking weird and crazy during the demon entrance itself, that never really translates to a change in demeanour for him inside the ring, or in terms of his character at large. There's no nuance to it at present, it's just a 'cool' hook to get people talking, but if they aren't careful it'll become too large of a focal point for the character.

Real Rock'n'Rolla > The Demon

gurudyne

I like to imagine that Owens came into the kitchen area after showering and saw Vince eating his lunch and Owens smacked the sandwich out of his hand and Vince said "DO IT, DO IT, DOOO IIITTT" and then a 7 minute family guy chicken vs peter like fight broke out and after Owens powerbombs Vince through the windshield of his car Vince yells "ILL SEE YOU ON MONDAY GODDAMMIT" and then proceeded to get into the car with the broken windshield and drove home.

If I had a billion dollars, I'd pay someone to animate that.

Zach

You guys are funny for hating on Finn Balor. He's pretty entertaining. Sure it's a little goofy if you really think about it, but... wrestling.

Top Bottom