• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Super Strong Style 16 - Thread Edition 2015

Ithil

Also, frankly, the fake names used to be better. Ric Flair. Scott Steiner. Shawn Michaels. Hell, Rob Van Dam. Those sound like real people, even if it's not their godgiven name.

Now, we get Dolph Ziggler. Curtis Axel. Bo Dallas.

Either go realistic with a name or go over the top (Sting!). The muddled middle the WWE has been doing for the past decade is a failure.

Steiner, Flair, Michaels are all just variations on their real names anyway.

Sephzilla

Actually read Meltzer's account of the screwjob instead of the WWE whitewashed history of it.

Bret was completely in the right, and Vince was completely in the wrong. In fact, Vince did know Bret wasn't going to show up on Nitro. He just wanted to force Bret to lose in Montreal to Shawn for no good reason.

Yep, this.

Fox318

Why couldn't Curtis Axel just be Joe Hennig or some variation? He pretty much has tried to remind people of his father already with his theme, moveset, and merch so why not go the distance?

Copyrighting names so guys can't go to WCW, ROH, or Lucha Underground when they could just rename themselves doesn't really hurt or help WWE.

If WWE was the number 2 player it would make sense but nobody has the resources to compete with them.

Unless somebody like John Cena leaves why should WWE care if T.J. Wilson goes by the name Tyson Kidd in some unknown promotion?

klonere

Banned
They need to pick one or the other instead of half straddling both.

I know, its kind of disconcerting the drift between NXT and the main roster in that sense, last night's package on Becky Lynch was intensely personal and grounded in "the world outside the WWE" which seems to be a huge no no up on Raw.

I know HHH wants NXT as its own distinct brand but I think if they go for this approach more and more (the whole Zayn/Owens feud is built on it) it's giving false impressions to the talent in terms of what tools they can use to build themselves as characters. I'm beginning to think that NXT kinda sucks as developmental.

Oh, I hope all of BritWrassleGAF has voted/will vote. Shit's important yo.

Smackdown_your_vote_logosma.gif

jmdajr

Wow this is awful..

JERSEY SHORE, Pa. (AP) — Police say a Pennsylvania man mimicking a professional wrestling move inadvertently slammed his girlfriend's toddler son to the floor, killing him.

Brandon Hoffman was charged Wednesday with involuntary manslaughter, endangering the welfare of a child, aggravated assault and other offenses in the death of 18-month-old Bryson Shoemaker.

Police say Hoffman was performing wrestler The Undertaker's "The Last Ride" move Tuesday and had intended for Bryson to land on a bed.

I'm never gonna play wrestling with my kid ever.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The only thing I do with kids is hold them by their ankles and shake money out of their pockets. Kids are really easy to throw around! So far so good.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Follow up question, why the fuck would you powerbomb an 18 year old?

18 year olds can be assholes

Having played with a 4 year old, shit's fun, but you can't do anything with 18 month old kids I don't believe. Aren't they still babies? I don't know how babies grow or work so this is all foreign territory. At 4 they're resilient and attack you.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I did hit someone with the Buddha's Palm, which I think would be awesome to see in wrestling. I closed off five pressure points in his body with it and poisoned him!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You guys can talk all you want about adjusted names, but I still laugh - a lot - at Borden Stevens. It's really perfect.

This still cracks me up because it's so goddamned stupid though
oKhpTzm.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
WWE's doing a This Week in History, which could be pretty good. Corey Graves and Kyle Edwards are hosting it. Definitely going to take a look, wonder how far back they're going and how long it it and how much focus they put on things.

klonere

Banned
. At 4 they're resilient and attack you.

A line I can see Vince himself uttering.

WWE's doing a This Week in History, which could be pretty good. Corey Graves and Kyle Edwards are hosting it. Definitely going to take a look, wonder how far back they're going and how long it it and how much focus they put on things.

Given that we were talking about the changed history of the Screwjob, I wonder how much revisionist history will occur. Or it could just be another fucking clip show.

They're twitter/webpage for this is usually pretty interesting, so if they've turned it into an entire program I look forward to it.

Aiii

So not worth it
Okay, so Corey Graves' newest Culture Shock at the SW Convention is great.

He interviews this cosplayer and he asks him "What are you looking forward to?" And then after the guy replies, he asks Corey, "So, what are you looking forward to?" When Corey replies he quickly says "It doesn't matter what you're looking forward to!"

Well played cosplayer, well played.

Striker

Also, frankly, the fake names used to be better. Ric Flair. Scott Steiner. Shawn Michaels. Hell, Rob Van Dam. Those sound like real people, even if it's not their godgiven name.

Now, we get Dolph Ziggler. Curtis Axel. Bo Dallas.

Either go realistic with a name or go over the top (Sting!). The muddled middle the WWE has been doing for the past decade is a failure.
It's not just names, it's gimmicks. It's character. I don't really look at guys like Cesaro or Kofi and see that. They're just dudes. That goes for most of the roster. You'll find some of the most generic or completely out of the ordinary names. Always felt this sort of began in the early 00's, but it's definitely gotten much worse in the next decade.

jred2k

Okay, so Corey Graves' newest Culture Shock at the SW Convention is great.

He interviews this cosplayer and he asks him "What are you looking forward to?" And then after the guy replies, he asks Corey, "So, what are you looking forward to?" When Corey replies he quickly says "It doesn't matter what you're looking forward to!"

Well played cosplayer, well played.

The Jar Jar fan was wearing a Miz shirt. It makes too much sense.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I liked when it seemed like Rusev was the less evil of him and Lana and Lana held the chain and she was really the more evil one of the two making Rusev do whatever because Rusev was just a robot. And now it's seemed to turn into 'We want da hot blaond! for America! and Rusev is evil because he's not a hot blond!'

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I still dread the day Lana gets her clothes ripped off and has stars and stripes underwear on. You know it's coming :(

I liked when it seemed like Rusev was the less evil of him and Lana and Lana held the chain and she was really the more evil one of the two making Rusev do whatever because Rusev was just a robot. And now it's seemed to turn into 'We want da hot blaond! for America! and Rusev is evil because he's not a hot blond!'

Yeah that was far more interesting, and a fresh role for a woman in the WWE too.

Sephzilla

Agreed. She was a great legit female heel. Rusev is so screwed when this feud with Cena ends.

Top Bottom