• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Super Strong Style 16 - Thread Edition 2015

XenoRaven

Cesaro's new gimmick

CEXEdPJUMAEtcxn.jpg
We already had a Hamburglar gimmick.

Hurricane.jpg

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Watching that some of that E60 WWE Behind the Curtain thing and it's already crushing. Seeing Leo Kruger and then Corey mentioning all his injuries and saying "hopefully nothing that's gonna stick with me for the rest of my life." eeeshhh

Striker

It didn't really do anything outside the Serena Deeb spot. Like feud wise, what did it accomplish?

And on top of that, never really utilizing Serena as a wrestler. One match. Then she was released for some reason, supposedly to do with being a party girl.

EDIT: Jeff should have never left. Dude was the number two babyface and outsold Cena in merch at times. The height of his popularity, and he leaves.

It didn't really do anything outside the Serena Deeb spot. Like feud wise, what did it accomplish?

And on top of that, never really utilizing Serena as a wrestler. One match. Then she was released for some reason, supposedly to do with being a party girl.

EDIT: Jeff should have never left. Dude was the number two babyface and outsold Cena in merch at times. The height of his popularity, and he leaves.

Jeff was just meant to be taking a break and was definitely going to return at some point, but then TNA threw an insane amount of cash at him for their pathetic Monday Night Impact effort, and he couldn't refuse it.

Many TNA talents have sent feelers out to other promotions and ones that contacted WWE were reportedly told that WWE is not interested in anyone from TNA, even if they were willing to go through a tryout camp first.

- PWMania, Brother

That TNA Stigma!

Kaladin

12 hour shifts from 8pm - 8am.....not the brightest thing I have done....first one is almost done, nearly 2 hours left. I have to do it again tomorrow night though.

You sure that's not the Dontaku card? So much of it sure sounds the same...

I kid, but I might pass on Dominion. Except AJ/Okadders...

Most of the matches make sense but re-doing Nakamura and Goto is annoying because it almost certainly means that Nak is going to get the IC title again. Him with the title has been great but its time for something new for both of them.

YOOOOOOOOOOO CAVERNARIO is in BOSJ

Jushin Liger vs. Yohei Komatsu

Tiger Mask vs. Nick Jackson

Alex Shelley vs. David Finlay III

Barbaro Cavernario vs. Chase Owens

Rocky Romero vs. Bobby Fish

Baretta vs. Kyle O'Reilly

Mascara Dorada vs. Kushida

Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Gedo

Everyone seems convinced Nak's going to get the title back, but that'd definitely be a step in the wrong direction and I don't necessarily see it happening - I see people saying there's no way Shinsuke will lose twice to Goto before the G1, but that's the beauty of the tournament. It's a real shake up and it doesn't matter if a guy's had a bad first half to the year, been out with injury or has just plain sucked for months on end, the G1 can turn all that around and there's no reason to my mind why Shinsuke can't win the thing without first reclaiming the IC belt.

Of course, it's entirely possible they put the belt right back on Nakamura, but I'm gonna say Goto defends the title and then picks up a challenger or two during the G1.

Everyone seems convinced Nak's going to get the title back, but that'd definitely be a step in the wrong direction and I don't necessarily see it happening - I see people saying there's no way Shinsuke will lose twice to Goto before the G1, but that's the beauty of the tournament. It's a real shake up and it doesn't matter if a guy's had a bad first half to the year, been out with injury or has just plain sucked for months on end, the G1 can turn all that around and there's no reason to my mind why Shinsuke can't win the thing without first reclaiming the IC belt.

Of course, it's entirely possible they put the belt right back on Nakamura, but I'm gonna say Goto defends the title and then picks up a challenger or two during the G1.

Gedo has done that three times this year. Not holding my breath

If Shinsuke gets the belt back, I'm gonna go ahead and say he won't win the G1. They'd be nuts to do a title unification after all the work Nak's done building up the secondary title.

If Shinsuke gets the belt back, I'm gonna go ahead and say he won't win the G1. They'd be nuts to do a title unification after all the work Nak's done building up the secondary title.

Yeah, thats the thing, assuming the Nakamura gets the IC title that makes Tanahashi the heavy favorite to win the G1, which I don't think excites anyone. The alternatives would be to go with someone like Shibata or Ibushi or, I guess they could get really crazy and have Marufuji win to get some heat on NOAH.

Alucard

Banned
Sucks that NJPW couldn't get Ricochet to return for this tournament. When I talked to him at an indy show in December, he said he was probably going back to Japan in May. Ah well. The current crop looks good too.

Sucks that NJPW couldn't get Ricochet to return for this tournament. When I talked to him at an indy show in December, he said he was probably going back to Japan in May. Ah well. The current crop looks good too.

I don't think New Japan were too pleased that he spurned their advances and signed with Lucha Underground, in spite of the fact that they gave him the BoSJ last year. Similarly, I don't think Dragon Gate were too pleased that after they'd given him a run with the Dream Gate title, he decided to compete in the Super Jr's for New Japan instead of Dragon Gate's King of Gate tournament.

klonere

Banned
Last night's NXT was essentially an enormous plot dump to make up for the Wrestlemania hangover. Sooo many segments. Blake and Murphy need to drop the titles fast and re-work themselves - that new team that went out to face Enzo and Cass already had a more distinctive look than the Dubstep Cowboys.

I can see why they hired Dana now, she has a natural charisma and decent mic skills, does the whole vain asshole shtick very well. Hope she can up her in ring game fast, maybe the hinted feud with Charlotte could help her.

I'm ready for #NBexT.

Jeff was just meant to be taking a break and was definitely going to return at some point, but then TNA threw an insane amount of cash at him for their pathetic Monday Night Impact effort, and he couldn't refuse it.

He was also on his final drugs warning and not about to stop doing them.

Browny

Banned
preview of the upcoming Owens/Uhaa Nation feud

https://youtu.be/XWqA3yqrW6M?t=151

Ready-made for a Sheamus feud too. Also, that Pearl River Plunge looked good...

Uhaa Johnson

Ahmed Johnson Jr.

And lol'd heartily at these:

Tyson Brickhouse

Slab Bulkhead

Aloha country

Africa Bambaataa

Bobby Thrashley

Hakuna Matata

Aha! District

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Most of the matches make sense but re-doing Nakamura and Goto is annoying because it almost certainly means that Nak is going to get the IC title again. Him with the title has been great but its time for something new for both of them.

I really don't see Nakamura getting it back. They don't often do flip-flop title exchanges, even though they did with Fale and Meiyu Tag, but still

There's no way there'll be a unification, I can't see that happening.

Fox318

Meltzer today had a really interesting point on the fakeness of wrestling.

The most over man in the company has a real name.(Cena)

Does WWE's obsession on creating characters blind them from making characters more real and thus relatable?

How can the public get behind a product and a wrestler when he has a name like Dolph Ziggler™, Romain Reigns™, or Neville™?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Does WWE's obsession on creating characters blind them from making characters more real and thus relatable?

How can the public get behind a product and a wrestler when he has a name like Dolph Ziggler™, Romain Reigns™, or Neville™?

I don't think anyone really cares that much though. Just coincidence.

Aiii

So not worth it

Does Meltzer also advocate this for every TV show or movie ever made?

I mean, how can a movie ever get over when it's main character is called James Bond (or alternatively "Double Oh Seven"). Or Tony Stark. Or hell, The HULK?! Can you imagine a wrestling character called Hulk? Instant failure.

Ithil

I mean, how can a movie ever get over when it's main character is called James Bond (or alternatively "Double Oh Seven"). Or Tony Stark. Or hell, The HULK?! Can you imagine a wrestling character called Hulk? Instant failure.

Wrestling occupies a more unique blend of real and fake, than a movie or TV show which is just straight fiction. Though really it's more their inability to give anyone any kind of character that's causing people to not get behind anyone. Like who the hell is Dolph Ziggler? He likes showing off, or something. What's Roman Reigns' character? "Guy who gets title shots"?

If you can't name 3-5 things about a character that don't refer to what they look like, or what their gimmick is, there's a problem.

Fox318

I mean, how can a movie ever get over when it's main character is called James Bond (or alternatively "Double Oh Seven"). Or Tony Stark. Or hell, The HULK?!

But wrestling at its core is the simulation of sport no matter how much you want to dress up people.

Plus the people who act aren't expected to go by their stage name outside of the Arena like wrestling.

Joe Anoaʻi is way more interesting than Roman Reigns when you hear him talk on things like a WWE panel or even the Powerbombcast.

A character can work in cases like The Rock, The Undertaker, Kane, and even Shawn Micheals but maybe in the company's oldschool policy of trying to monopolize talent they miss that real people sometimes work better.

Kevin Nash was better than Diesel yet the WWE has tried to make Diesel the focus instead of Kevin Nash.

klonere

Banned

unless WWE start presenting their product as more sports like (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH) I don't think it matters. They have more obvious issues than names to get people to connect with performers.

I hope to fuck that everyone in the back watched that E:60 documentary and said to themselves, well shit that seems pretty easy to get people legitimately over, maybe we should just do something like that!

Ithil

unless WWE start presenting their product as more sports like (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH) I don't think it matters. They have more obvious issues than names to get people to connect with performers.

I hope to fuck that everyone in the back watched that E:60 documentary and said to themselves, well shit that seems pretty easy to get people legitimately over, maybe we should just do something like that!

They need to pick one or the other instead of half straddling both.

Wrestling occupies a more unique blend of real and fake, than a movie or TV show which is just straight fiction. Though really it's more their inability to give anyone any kind of character that's causing people to not get behind anyone. Like who the hell is Dolph Ziggler? He likes showing off, or something. What's Roman Reigns' character? "Guy who gets title shots"?

If you can't name 3-5 things about a character that don't refer to what they look like, or what their gimmick is, there's a problem.

Also, frankly, the fake names used to be better. Ric Flair. Scott Steiner. Shawn Michaels. Hell, Rob Van Dam. Those sound like real people, even if it's not their godgiven name.

Now, we get Dolph Ziggler. Curtis Axel. Bo Dallas.

Either go realistic with a name or go over the top (Sting!). The muddled middle the WWE has been doing for the past decade is a failure.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Also, frankly, the fake names used to be better. Ric Flair. Scott Steiner. Shawn Michaels. Hell, Rob Van Dam. Those sound like real people, even if it's not their godgiven name.

Now, we get Dolph Ziggler. Curtis Axel. Bo Dallas.

Either go realistic with a name or go over the top (Sting!). The muddled middle the WWE has been doing for the past decade is a failure.

It's easy to remember the good ones. Plenty of turds in the past.

Top Bottom