• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Super Strong Style 16 - Thread Edition 2015

Ultratech

I haven't touch any current gen consoles yet. One day I'll be LTTP, but for the time being I really don't see anything worth checking out on the consoles besides on the Wii U side of town. Plus my backlog fucking sucks.

I seriously doubt I'll be getting a PS4/XBOne anytime soon.

Got a Wii U, but I barely play it, so it's sitting in a closet (possibly awaiting Xenoblade X).

Been building up a nice PS3 backlog lately though, since I missed out on some nice stuff on it.

Beyond that, I still got my 3DS and a fair number of games on my PC I'll play.

What I really need to buy is a new computer chair.

Did this a few months ago. The old one I had went to shit after I'd had it for about the last...6 years I think?

Got so bad, I was sitting on pillows.

Got a nice decent chair on sale for $120, got a 3 year replacement plan on it too.
(So if I decide said chair is gone to shit by year 2.9, I can go back and be like, "Yo, give me a new chair!")

It looked like the UK Election would be worked Even Steven but it's actually a fucking squash. Really effective booking though, Tories come out with major heel heat and look pretty much unbeatable. Five year run coming up.

Buncha young faces in there:
tumblr_nli97tUUHn1rq9aato1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nli97tUUHn1rq9aato2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nli97tUUHn1rq9aato3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nli97tUUHn1rq9aato5_1280.jpg

looks like an awesome Brodown.

I think everyone should do a cursory search of their neighborhood toy aisle and report back with the health of the wrestling toy stock, and the worst wrestling-related item they can find.

#Safe practice: Don't loiter, try to appear lost. If you're seen, let it be known that you're shopping for a small child.

My local Walmart gets ALL the new WWE figures in. Even the more expensive Elite ones.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
A lot of watching Starcade 83 for me has been 'hey I know that guy. Hey I like that guy in other stuff! Look, Kevin Sullivan with hair... kinda!' I'm always down to see Cowboy Bob.

Angelo Mosca is definitely That Motherfucker.

My local Walmart gets ALL the new WWE figures in. Even the more expensive Elite ones.

Dream would call that 'playing to the demographic' I believe.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
A lot of watching Starcade 83 for me has been 'hey I know that guy. Hey I like that guy in other stuff! Look, Kevin Sullivan with hair... kinda!' I'm always down to see Cowboy Bob.

Angelo Mosca is definitely That Motherfucker.

Dream would call that 'playing to the demographic' I believe.

Indeed on both fronts.

I've never been into figures but K-Mart used to be the place to get Wrasslin stuff.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Fucking Seth with all this ether.

Ugh... why am I watching Smackdown?

It's pretty good most weeks actually. It's just that it largely does not matter. They've very slowly been changing that though by starting/continuing angles on there.

I really think the brand split is going to happen next year. The real thing that fucked it over was USA's insistence that the top stars (i.e. Juan Cena) had to be on RAW always, which turned Smackdown from the B+ developmental show into the watered down clone of RAW it is.

KissVibes

Banned
I think everyone should do a cursory search of their neighborhood toy aisle and report back with the health of the wrestling toy stock, and the worst wrestling-related item they can find.

#Safe practice: Don't loiter, try to appear lost. If you're seen, let it be known that you're shopping for a small child.

I don't know if its worst or best but the Target I used to work at still has twin packs of CM Punk and Ryback.

It's pretty good most weeks actually. It's just that it largely does not matter. They've very slowly been changing that though by starting/continuing angles on there.

I really think the brand split is going to happen next year. The real thing that fucked it over was USA's insistence that the top stars (i.e. Juan Cena) had to be on RAW always, which turned Smackdown from the B+ developmental show into the watered down clone of RAW it is.
Yep, the fact that it doesn't matter is why I end up not watching it most of the time, especially if I read the spoilers ahead of time. There are usually some solid matches worth checking out though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Slater & Orton vs Youngblood & Wahoo is so so so much fun. Really picked up this show a lot. Orton and Slater are just wonderful.

Rlz7uI7.jpg

That is one Orton-y face

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm almost up to Wrestlemania 12. I've only ever seen the Ironman Match on it. I'm pretty damn sure besides the Austin promo at KotR 1996 that I've seen nothing from the rest of the year. Brave new world.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I also love how ther'e audio problems every time they mention Dusty or Dusty's on camera. #conspiracy

and man that flair, youngblood, and steamboat was a trio of bad promos. At first I was like, 'Why give Youngblood the mic?' and then Steamboat cut a promo and then I understood why they gave Youngblood the mic. Steamboat looks like a fucking adonis compared to Flair and Youngblood though. I can see why he went to WWF so shortly afterwards.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's crazy looking back that both the AWA and JCP/NWA could have been the WWF if they hadn't been so poorly managed.

AWA literally had the backbone of the Hulkamania era under contract and had already expanded to fill territories, but not paying Hogan/not getting into bed with cable fucked them.

NWA/JCP had the cable, had the national fanbase, had the talent, had the money even! Fuck ups at the top though and Vince being an evil bastard sunk them. Make no mistake though they had just as much to do with the territories being eaten up and had at the beginning the fanbase to rival the WWF.

JavyOO7

WCW would be kicking still if it stayed in touch with its fanbase and not be so dumb with its booking.

Though WWE could be dumb with its booking for the next few years and everything would be peachy since they're going to get big money from TV rights.

Such a lost opportunity on how they've promoted the network so far...

It's crazy looking back that both the AWA and JCP/NWA could have been the WWF if they hadn't been so poorly managed.

AWA literally had the backbone of the Hulkamania era under contract and had already expanded to fill territories, but not paying Hogan/not getting into bed with cable fucked them.

NWA/JCP had the cable, had the national fanbase, had the talent, had the money even! Fuck ups at the top though and Vince being an evil bastard sunk them. Make no mistake though they had just as much to do with the territories being eaten up and had at the beginning the fanbase to rival the WWF.

Eh, Hogan was always going to the WWF, at some point. The main reason that Verne didn't put the title on Hogan isn't because he thought he was going to jump with the title, it's the fact the New Japan was Hogan's #1 promotion and Hulk wouldn't give Verne a cut/a bigger cut of that cash.

As for Crockett, even putting aside what Vince did to sink them, in their entire 18 year history as a national-ish promotion (starting from Starrcade '83), they had competent booking and management for maybe four or five of those years.

WM1 feels like a house show outside of the Rock and Wrestling matches.

Actually, on pure workrate, the previous month's Garden card was a much better show.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Piper vs Valentine's Chain match is really great. Especially for a Piper match. Amazing how much a gimmick can enhance a match if it's executed well.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
If WWE is legitimately behind supporting divas then they should give them a match gimmick platform that to help them gain attention like Royal Rumble, MITB, or even their own King of the Ring special.

Queen of the Ring:
Naomi vs Cameron
Brie Bella vs Summer Rae
Natalya vs Paige
Tamina vs Charlotte

Kaladin

If WWE is legitimately behind supporting divas then they should give them a match gimmick platform that to help them gain attention like Royal Rumble, MITB, or even their own King of the Ring special.

Queen of the Ring:
Naomi vs Cameron
Brie Bella vs Summer Rae
Natalya vs Paige
Tamina vs Charlotte

The problem is, NXT is behind the Divas, the main roster isn't.

NXT has done diva tournaments before.

Kaladin

Yup, but tournaments typically for number one contender. WWE should move forward with a Queen of the Ring.

That would require giving the divas the spotlight and screen time WWE isn't interested in giving them at this point.

Seriously, it will take Triple H taking over the main roster for this to change.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
That would require giving the divas the spotlight and screen time WWE isn't interested in giving them at this point.

Seriously, it will take Triple H taking over the main roster for this to change.

Not necessarily. King of the Ring was given a little spotlight on Raw but then took over Main Events slot to finish. They could opt for a more Network approach.

Top Bottom