• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Super Strong Style 16 - Thread Edition 2015

Heenan had a longer run of being amazing. Everything I've seen of him from the 70's & 80's is golden. That being said, I actually think I prefer Bobby as a manager and Jesse as a commentator.

Anywho, CZW tonight! Anyone in? Card looks good;

http://highspots.tv/ippv-czw-proving-grounds-05-09-2015/

. CZW World Heavyweight Title - BLK Jeez (c) vs Matt Tremont
. CZW Wired Championship - Joe Gacy (c) vs Mike Bailey
. Drew Gulak vs Nick F'n Gage
. Deathmatch Trial: Panes of Glass - Danny Havoc vs Connor Claxton
. Andrew Everett vs Trevor Lee
. Sozio vs Eric Corvis
. Greg Excellent vs Alexander James
. Bill Carr & Buxx Belmar vs The Beaver Boys

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So I called in sick for the first time in like 6 months. I woke up and the entire left side of my body was tingly, like when your foot falls asleep. I didn't think much of it at first, but like 4 hours later it hadn't gone away, so I decided driving to work and trying to do shit was probably a bad idea. Not sure what is wrong aside from a serious lack of sleep lately and an inability to breathe easily. Got some Booker T strips and some liquid Unisom, I guess I'm gonna see how it goes. Wish me luck, chaps.

I hope friend Bjork is ok. And also unbanned.

Heenan had a longer run of being amazing. Everything I've seen of him from the 70's & 80's is golden. That being said, I actually think I prefer Bobby as a manager and Jesse as a commentator.

. Sozio vs Eric Corvis
Bootaaay, this costs $15 or

P7fMuYU.png

Not to mention it's airing at 8 p.m. or

4K50M0F.png

This would be considered a massive commitment even for a WWE special event, it's just not worth it. Why do you do it?

Just watch Lucha Underground.

1AM, we're currently in British summertime ;)

Also, that's not so late for a Saturday night, plus I'll be drinking to make it through the typical CZW awful undercard.

. Sozio vs Eric Corvis

count me in

we can talk on the twitters

Heel

Sports Entertainment fans are watching Metamoris 6 in roughly 2 hours time, which will be simulating the legendary Gracie dojo storms of the '90s. Closed studio, no fans or media, only the Gracie family tree and their students barking at you from the sidelines, and possibly a few taiko drummers for entertainment.

Josh Barnett vs. Ryron Gracie
Chael Sonnen vs. Babalu Sobral
Joe Lauzon vs. Dillon Danis
Xande Ribeiro vs. Keenan Cornelius
Clark Gracie vs. Roberto Satoshi
Jeff Monson vs. Jimmy Friedrich

http://metamoris.com/

Sports Entertainment fans are watching Metamoris 6 in roughly 2 hours time, which will be simulating the legendary Gracie dojo storms of the '90s. Closed studio, no fans or media, only the Gracie family tree and their students barking at you from the sidelines, and possibly a few taiko drummers for entertainment.

Josh Barnett vs. Ryron Gracie
Chael Sonnen vs. Babalu Sobral
Joe Lauzon vs. Dillon Danis
Xande Ribeiro vs. Keenan Cornelius
Clark Gracie vs. Roberto Satoshi
Jeff Monson vs. Jimmy Friedrich

http://metamoris.com/

Crazy joe fallen on hard times.

Alucard

Banned
Interesting bit from a Xavier Woods interview. Basically, if New Day were around in the 80s, they'd be getting cheered as faces, but what fans cheer for today is different.

Why he thought the New Day would succeed as babyfaces:

"We had a couple of different schools of thoughts. We thought this would occur, that people would be into it, because it's maybe one of the only positive things on television, because you turn on the news and there's death, murder, car crashes and everything. Here's a positive thing with three guys, all college educated, all college athletes, all very eloquent so we'll preach a positive message like 'do well in life and go to school, make sure you work out you could be big and strong like E, make sure if you stretch a lot you can be flexible and agile like Kofi and make sure if you read your books you could be smart like Woods.' And then we realized after a few months it turned into 'people don't like those who are happy.'

"So it's kind of like a play on society, essentially, people of American society. Back in the 80s, if someone's happy, someone's doing well, someone's getting hardships, you cheered for that person. But now it's 2015, and they don't like that. They want someone who's grimy and who doesn't like people and who doesn't smile and isn't happy and wants to punt a puppy across a football field. If that happened, people would be watching and it would get 3 million views on YouTube because it's something that's horrible so essentially society has created this thing where people like to see car wrecks, and they want to see a hot mess and they want to see a fall from grace. So if you don't have those things people are going to boo you because that's not entertaining to them, they want to see a mess, they want to see somebody fall on the sidewalk and bust their lip on the ground. They don't like nice things."

1AM, we're currently in British summertime ;)

Also, that's not so late for a Saturday night, plus I'll be drinking to make it through the typical CZW awful undercard.

Bootaaay, with all due respect, eschewing the undercard of a CZW iPPV in favor of the main event is like eating only the undigested corn kernels from a turd, in the end you're still eating sh*t.

Can you explain in layperson's terms why a main event consisting of

HXFOJrP.png

vs.

BYAgScD.png

is worth nearly 10 quid and staying up until 3 in the morning?

Heel

My "Let's Play" of Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition on Twitch will be free tonight, bean breath. #CZWternative

My "Let's Play" of Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition on Twitch will be free tonight, bean breath.

I'm set up for e-mail notifications to be sent to me the second your channel goes live.

Bootaaay, please don't watch that show. The man is 5'6" and 165 lbs or

VlqSdId.png

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The real debate isn't whether or not Brain is phoning it in in WCW or not (because he is) the debate is whether or not The Body is in WCW. I feel like he is from the very beginning while some think he only did during the very end of his run.

Ventura is better overall at the role but Brain and Monsoon might have an even better level of chemistry from being true blue friends.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'll never watch a card with Trevor Lee on it because they dude looks fucking disgusting.

And this is from someone with a Jun Kasai avatar

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Interesting bit from a Xavier Woods interview. Basically, if New Day were around in the 80s, they'd be getting cheered as faces, but what fans cheer for today is different.

"We had a couple of different schools of thoughts. We thought this would occur, that people would be into it, because it's maybe one of the only positive things on television, because you turn on the news and there's death, murder, car crashes and everything. Here's a positive thing with three guys, all college educated, all college athletes, all very eloquent so we'll preach a positive message like 'do well in life and go to school, make sure you work out you could be big and strong like E, make sure if you stretch a lot you can be flexible and agile like Kofi and make sure if you read your books you could be smart like Woods.' And then we realized after a few months it turned into 'people don't like those who are happy.'

"So it's kind of like a play on society, essentially, people of American society. Back in the 80s, if someone's happy, someone's doing well, someone's getting hardships, you cheered for that person. But now it's 2015, and they don't like that. They want someone who's grimy and who doesn't like people and who doesn't smile and isn't happy and wants to punt a puppy across a football field. If that happened, people would be watching and it would get 3 million views on YouTube because it's something that's horrible so essentially society has created this thing where people like to see car wrecks, and they want to see a hot mess and they want to see a fall from grace. So if you don't have those things people are going to boo you because that's not entertaining to them, they want to see a mess, they want to see somebody fall on the sidewalk and bust their lip on the ground. They don't like nice things."

Kirk Angel did the same thing 15 years ago. It's True. It's true.

I forgot how much the vidygames love to suck off the COO. Shit like Lawler talking about how one of the most memorable moments of Bork's career is fighting HHH at Wrestlemania 29, or how HHH is the most intense and technically gifted guy on the roster, etc.

So in preparation for the BOSJ I've been watching some Barbaro Cavernario matches and...well, he's good, I guess. I would have preferred somebody like Fuego but he'll do. I'm a little surprised Matt Jackson didn't get a spot - yes, I know Nick is the far superior of the bros but that doesn't mean Matt should be overlooked like the OTHER Matt in that OTHER brother tag team. Oh wait, Gedo needs to book himself a spot and we also need Yohei Komatsu to play the Honma role, of course.

I'm also excited to see Son of Finlay in action.

Either way, KUSHIDA's taking this. I'm a little surprised he and Dorada are in the same block as I figured they'd be meeting in the finals but whatevs. I mean, Gedo wouldn't be a dick and book himself to win.

Would he?

KissVibes

Banned
Would have been hard for Roman to answer that question without going "Unfortunately, I won't be talking about CM Punk today. Next question."

Why not? "Sorry, I don't want to talk about Punk...he's doing his own thing and I'm doing mine. Wish him the best. Believe that. Get the WWE Network today!"

Roman's response is funny but it leads to two narratives:

1) CM Punk is a liar and "Three new guys in a group working together (in semi-secrecy) to help Punk" wasn't an idea he had and pitched.

2) Roman has sour grapes over the fact that CM Punk wanted Chris Hero originally but couldn't get Hero, so said Reigns was fine (because WWE was pushing him) to get the group going.

And both of these are already causing shit storms, I'm sure WRESTLEZONE will run with it soon.

People are still totally willing to accept pure good guys as long as they're written interestingly and competently. The success of Marvel's films over the gritty 90s shit WB/DC puts out is proof enough of that. The only reason The New Day isn't over is because the gimmick is shallow, uninteresting and kinda racist.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Roman Reigns is entitled to a little snark considering the ISEC decided to hound him after Punk's "safe place" podcast.

People are still totally willing to accept pure good guys as long as they're written interestingly and competently. The success of Marvel's films over the gritty 90s shit WB/DC puts out is proof enough of that. The only reason The New Day isn't over is because the gimmick is shallow, uninteresting and kinda racist.

This. Daniel Bryan got over because A. He's ridiculously talented and B. He's a nice guy. In fact, I daresay that his role in the Stone Cold-esque feud vs. the Authority is more believable because he is a nicer guy. Meanwhile it's hard to buy John Cena as an underdog because...well, he's John fucking Cena.

Oersted

They took basically the lovey dummy preachy gimmick and were surprised at the backlash. I mean come on, Bo Dallas wasn't that long ago. If you want to put such a gimmick over,you have to built it up, otherwise it rings shallow and selfabsorbed.

And anyway, why not both? Brock breaking kayfabe and later wrecking havoc was beautiful.

Can you explain in layperson's terms why a main event consisting of Jeez vs Tremont is worth nearly 10 quid and staying up until 3 in the morning?

It isn't, I'm watching for these matches;

So in preparation for the BOSJ I've been watching some Barbaro Cavernario matches and...well, he's good, I guess. I would have preferred somebody like Fuego but he'll do. I'm a little surprised Matt Jackson didn't get a spot - yes, I know Nick is the far superior of the bros but that doesn't mean Matt should be overlooked like the OTHER Matt in that OTHER brother tag team. Oh wait, Gedo needs to book himself a spot and we also need Yohei Komatsu to play the Honma role, of course.

Either way, KUSHIDA's taking this. I'm a little surprised he and Dorada are in the same block as I figured they'd be meeting in the finals but whatevs. I mean, Gedo wouldn't be a dick and book himself to win.

Would he?

Yeah, I was surprised Matt didn't get a spot as well, but I don't think it's a huge loss - Komatsu & Finlay Jr. will be lucky to pick up a win, it's their first tournament, plus Finlay Jr's first tour after training at the dojo for a while now. I think Block B's pretty stacked with KUSHIDA, Shelley, Rocky & Dorada, but this should be KUSHIDA's year. As for Block A, I'm hoping it isn't Taguchi, but he doesn't have much competition. Can't see Baretta winning it, but I think O'Reilly has a chance and that'd make for a good final. If Liger's able to put together a good run, I wouldn't mind seeing him in the final. Should be fun either way, shame the whole thing isn't on NJPW world though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This. Daniel Bryan got over because A. He's ridiculously talented and B. He's a nice guy. In fact, I daresay that his role in the Stone Cold-esque feud vs. the Authority is more believable because he is a nicer guy. Meanwhile it's hard to buy John Cena as an underdog because...well, he's John fucking Cena.

He got over by being an asshole with Kane actually, that's what got him out of the WHC picture and into the main event scene.

Jamie OD

Would he?

Matt isn't in the tournament this year because he has a kid on the way.

Face new day would've gone over fine if there were some good heels they could troll. Imagine if suit wearing sycophant Jericho was in the tag division, getting clowned by the new day. They would be over as fuck.

RP912

Banned
Wrasslegaf, let's just throw it down right here and right now. Let's ask the real question and let's get into some personal fights with it.

Who's the better color commentator, Heenan or Ventura?
The answer... is Ventura.

Heenan by miles.

Jesse was good but he's not fucking with Heenan's zingers.

DMczaf

Jesse has a special place in my heart for calling out that bullshit "champion comes out first" mess Vince does when Hogan/Cena challenge for the title.

The champ ALWAYS comes out last! ALWAYS!

RP912

Banned
Jesse has a special place in my heart for calling out that bullshit "champion comes out first" mess Vince does when Hogan/Cena challenge for the title.

The champ ALWAYS comes out last! ALWAYS!

He shitted on Monsoon on numerous occasions for being biased towards Hogan. Each time it's hilarious because Gorilla ends up silent for a good portion of the matches.

Ventura made you understand the heel side of the story, while Heenan wrote the book.

dream

People point to Ross's "they've killed him" as the pinnacle, but for my money, "who's side is he on?" is the greatest call in pro wrestling. In one call, Brain showed amazing, amazing awareness of his own continuity, while completely undermining the surprise factor of the angle.

Brain rules. It's a shame that he's in such rough shape while that piece of shit King was resuscitated.

DOPE

Kenta Kobashi will be at ringside for the Minoru Suzuki GHC title defense against Naomichi Marufuji to keep from Suzuki using outside interference to retain the title.

*Maybach Taniguchi announced he has a new partner to go after Suzuki-gun, and tag champs Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. They are calling the newcomer Blue Mask. Yuji Nagata is Blue Justice in New Japan and photos of blue mask from behind make it appear it will be Nagata.

Top Bottom