• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin |OT| Vince McMahon doesn't give 5 million f**ks what you think.

Striker

Depends who you ask. Here most think he is boring and I will give you he has had some bad booking, but most people outside message boards love him. I will say he has become boring when he stops getting massive pops and starts getting reactions Sheamus gets.
"I will say he has become boring when he stops getting massive pops", not really. Santino is god awful and he is often getting the most cheers on a daily night. Randy Orton gets those pops when his music hits, and I rather watch two goats mate in a hayfield than watch or listen to one of his promos.

Punk's problem isn't necessarily of his own. The roster blows because most of them lack great charisma or ring talent, and because of the WWE's god awful booking and that's squarely on Vince's shoulders. But still, even somebody like Austin called him out and basically shrugged off a feud idea with him at the moment because everything he had going for him has shrunk. His promo work has been very mediocre for months. And he should stop calling people a "toolbox". He makes Cena blush with that vocabulary.

When's the last time a face turned heel?

And an important face, so Eve doesn't count.
Christian really springs to mind when I think of that, and even that was a rushed judgment on WWE's part. Such a stupid decision and wasted opportunity.

Striker

He carried that feud, and it was a heavily lop-sided one that did nothing for Christian. It did nothing, period. What, did Randy need a boost, or need to validate himself over the jimmies by winning countless matches over Christian? No, it was stupid, mindless booking.

They were better off doing something with a face Christian facing a heel Del Rio. Del Rio is another one they fucked up post-Mania and did nothing with until late summer which that in itself turned into a fucking circus.

Aiii

So not worth it
He out-performs Orton on the mic, this is true. Orton is not great on the mic, not with anyone and Christian is one of the best. So ofcourse he'll carry him in that regard. The matches however is a 50/50 deal. Orton was great, Christian was great and that made some great stuff happen.

I agree that Christian deserves another run with the title, but hey, that's me and I don't blame WWE for putting over Orton.

Del Rio is just a crappy character, that's as much his fault as it is WWE's, they tried to push him, it just does nothing for the crowd. The only good thing about his character is Ricardo Rodriguez.

Striker

Ricardo is great. What was wrong with Del Rio's gimmick as he won the Rumble? They played up to the whole "It's my destiny!" thing, and when the whole fiasco with Edge around Mania happened, he lost and he then went into a circus full of fuck with WWE's "creative" writing. He was perfectly fine up until that April time, and after that they had absolutely ZERO idea what to do. Shock, huh?

What is he the wrestler doing wrong as the character? Then again, it didn't help having asstacular commentary talking about Del Rio and never elevating anyone's character, and it sure as didn't help the commode of a story that John Cena suddenly became pissed off at him once he cashed in his MitB, and also was calling out his character and basically called him a phony. In a nutshell, WWE is fucking stupid, and blaming anything of that on the actual wrestler performing that ridiculous charade is wrong.

Brinbe

Ricardo is great. What was wrong with Del Rio's gimmick as he won the Rumble? They played up to the whole "It's my destiny!" thing, and when the whole fiasco with Edge around Mania happened, he lost and he then went into a circus full of fuck with WWE's "creative" writing. He was perfectly fine up until that April time, and after that they had absolutely ZERO idea what to do. Shock, huh?

What is he the wrestler doing wrong as the character? Then again, it didn't help having asstacular commentary talking about Del Rio and never elevating anyone's character, and it sure as didn't help the commode of a story that John Cena suddenly became pissed off at him once he cashed in his MitB, and also was calling out his character and basically called him a phony. In a nutshell, WWE is fucking stupid, and blaming anything of that on the actual wrestler performing that ridiculous charade is wrong.

Yep! Exactly bang-on. Same shit that happened to Jericho with the Rumble. Supposed to shock the world, but then proceeds to lose the Rumble (because they wanna swerve the audience). Of course, after that the Punk feud went into the shitter, and overall, his character hasn't been the same since.

And that Cena shit with ADR really made my blood boil. So fucking stupid what they did with that, as Cena completely buried him for no-good reason.

Khrno

Yep! Exactly bang-on. Same shit that happened to Jericho with the Rumble. Supposed to shock the world, but then proceeds to lose the Rumble (because they wanna swerve the audience). Of course, after that the Punk feud went into the shitter, and overall, his character hasn't been the same since.

And that Cena shit with ADR really made my blood boil. So fucking stupid what they did with that, as Cena completely buried him for no-good reason.

Edge also won the rumble, and also lost the WM title match (against Jericho), and few others RR winners have lost at WM too, so it's not just to swerve the audience, but winning the RR doesn't mean becoming a World champion. If anything, the MITB it's a more sure way at that.

Anyway, that's that, bad booking is something else which did happen with Del Rio AFTER WM, and with Jericho in the general direction of his feud with Punk, before and after WM.

Smackdown spoilers:

1. R-Truth and Kofi Kingston defeated Titus O'Neil and Darren Young. Truth hit Paydirt on Young for the win. Lots of love for Kingston from the fans.

Why must the show start up like this? o_0

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'd put 100% of the blame on why ADR isn't still compelling on the writers. He's done his best, not had a bad match, and is still a good character. Ricardo Rodriguez is also fantastic, and when he does get involved, it's golden. Remember the Rodriguez intro for the Royal Rumble? Wonderful. But right now he's a square peg trying to be forced into a round hole.

Brinbe

Edge also won the rumble, and also lost the WM title match (against Jericho), and few others RR winners have lost at WM too, so it's not just to swerve the audience, but winning the RR doesn't mean becoming a World champion. If anything, the MITB it's a more sure way at that.

Anyway, that's that, bad booking is something else which did happen with Del Rio AFTER WM, and with Jericho in the general direction of his feud with Punk, before and after WM.
Oh no, for sure, not contending otherwise and that wasn't really my point. Just cited it as another short-sighted decision that hurt a character in the short/long-term.

Linkified

Can't wait for Teddy to intervene on Sunday, why? The obvious answer is Big Show, Link my friend your wrong. Nope the obvious answer is the wrong answer we'll be swerved. Hell Batisita could come back and be another enforcer but it most likely will be Teddy.

Aiii

So not worth it
Can't wait for Teddy to intervene on Sunday, why? The obvious answer is Big Show, Link my friend your wrong. Nope the obvious answer is the wrong answer we'll be swerved. Hell Batisita could come back and be another enforcer but it most likely will be Teddy.

And that's why we'll see Bryan winning the WWE championship through AJ interference on Sunday.

SWERVE SWERVE!

Linkified

And that's why we'll see Bryan winning the WWE championship through AJ interference on Sunday.

SWERVE SWERVE!

All obvious roads leads to land of swerve, where the streets swerve left to right, where buildings swerve top to bottom. Also in the land of swerve when you order vanilla ice cream you get sea water ice cream.

All obvious roads leads to land of swerve, where the streets swerve left to right, where buildings swerve top to bottom. Also in the land of swerve when you order vanilla ice cream you get sea water ice cream.
This land feels so familiar...or does that make it unfamiliar now?

It should! TNA used to like to do tours there before they got a SatNav and managed to get out of the city into suburbia of the land of swerve. WWE happened to arrive at the airport and are trapped.

i'm sure the WWE once considered it uncharted territory and it became the foundations of the WWE universe, it and the land of swerve are one and the same, a place where WWE run with their own unique brand of logic that doesn't fly anywhere else, unknown to himself Vince has long since abandoned his mind to the ever shifting swerves.

Linkified

i'm sure the WWE once considered it uncharted territory and it became the foundations of the WWE universe, it and the land of swerve are one and the same, a place where WWE run with their own unique brand of logic that doesn't fly anywhere else, unknown to himself Vince has long since abandoned his mind to the ever shifting swerves.

Nah its strange the swerves the logic is getting worse and worse everyday since Vince Russo left TNA, and TNA is getting more coherent at least from Wai Ting.Like I say in the mainstream pro wrestling companies only one can be logical at a time.

RBH

STAMFORD, Conn., May 14, 2012 – WWE (NYSE: WWE) and Full Sail University announced today an innovative partnership that moves live tapings of WWE NXT® series to Full Sail Live, the university’s state-of-the-art performance venue, and creates a new student scholarship fund.

Beginning May 17, 2012, students of the university’s entertainment-focused degree programs, including Film, Show Production, Digital Arts and Design, Internet Marketing and Entertainment Business, will have the opportunity to gain real-world experience working with WWE, a leader in global entertainment, to produce NXT.

Throughout the taping schedule, Full Sail University students, staff, faculty and the general public will be invited to attend the live tapings on the campus. All proceeds from ticket and merchandise sales will go towards a scholarship fund for students enrolled at or planning to attend Full Sail University.

"WWE has always been a leader in creating superstars in front of the camera. Now, with this unique partnership with Full Sail University, WWE will develop stars behind the camera as well,” said Paul “Triple H®” Levesque, Executive Vice President, Talent and Live Events for WWE. “With the opportunity to host events at Full Sail's top-notch facilities and the chance to tap into Full Sail's greatest resource, its students, we are excited to provide real-world experience while giving us a fresh, creative perspective from ambitious students."

“As a leading entertainment and media focused institution we are delighted to announce this remarkable new collaboration, which highlights WWE’s commitment to education and advanced growth in the entertainment industry and Full Sail’s commitment to bringing industry-leading organizations directly to our students,” said Ken Goldstone, Chief Operating Officer for Full Sail University. “We look forward to sharing this incredible experience with our students, the entire Central Florida community and the millions of WWE fans worldwide.”

WWE NXT airs in more than 60 countries worldwide and also on WWE.com. WWE NXT showcases WWE’s brightest young talent as they battle to become the elite WWE Superstars of tomorrow.

Aiii

So not worth it
If rumors are true and the announce team of the new NXT will be JR/Regal...

It will be better then TNA and regular WWE. I have no doubt.

Aiii

So not worth it
Tbh, I didn't find it that silly. We've all done shit like that (well maybe not cry, but we've all taken shit from bosses that needed to act the part for validation) before.

It's just that they DRAGGED IT OUT for 20 minutes.

Same with the ending. John Cena's Loser bit was funny for a few seconds, then he did it for 5 minutes more.

Make the awesome tag-team match 10 minutes longer if you need to fill time. Where was the build-up for Bryan/Punk on Raw? All they did was have a match with no interaction and an backstage segment to tease friction between AJ and Punk.

This short-term booking is killing everything, I'd rather they start taping Raw and Smackdown one month in advance and 4 shows at a time, at least they'll be forced to have some consistent booking that way.

Aiii

So not worth it
You know, the only thing that would make the new NXT better, if they really have JR/Regal as the dedicated announce team, was if they'd make them and Heyman (he's back now anyways) the booking team for this show.

Maybe they can even move the women wrestlers from Raw/Smackdown back to NXT and keep the Divas on the main shows for their 30 second pissbreak matches.

UberTag

This short-term booking is killing everything, I'd rather they start taping Raw and Smackdown one month in advance and 4 shows at a time, at least they'll be forced to have some consistent booking that way.
But... but... Vince can't change his mind about each individual week's booking a half-dozen times if they do it that way.

<gasp> The writing staff might have to actually develop long-term storytelling and the WWE might get "predictable" if that happens. Especially when all of the tapings leak to the Internet.

They'll be getting TNA ratings, damn it! Have you thought of Vince at all? He needs to be able to FIX things based on a tenth of a ratings point or unwanted audience reaction. You can only do so much in post-production.

Bowser

So NXT will be taped in front of a bigger crowd than TNA? Sounds about right.

It's a bit off how they are charging for tickets towards that scholarship fund. You'd think WWE would pay for it.

I read it as Full Sail students/faculty get free admission but the general public has to pay and that's what's going to the scholarship fund.

sajj316

Seems they really want to not only build stars but build quality creative writers. This is smart. It seems from watching the product, there is a severe lack of creativity. Now some of it is hampered by the PG rating but that can't be an excuse.

RBH

qwefewfew.jpg

http://www.wwe.com/inside/polls/over-the-limit-matches

Avengers XXX parody box art. She-Hulk looks mighty familiar, doesn't she?

I look at Thor on the back of the cover, and all I can see is
minus the muttonchops.

LOL at the Raw rating. Good luck coming back above a 3.0 with this shit.
I guess voting with your clickers works for once. Shame that the overrun had a big boost, but when Cena speaks (or mumbles, for that matter), viewers listen.

This land feels so familiar...or does that make it unfamiliar now?

It should! TNA used to like to do tours there before they got a SatNav and managed to get out of the city into suburbia of the land of swerve. WWE happened to arrive at the airport and are trapped.

You two should team up and write a Young Adult's novel. It'll be a smash hit. I've even got a title for it: The Island of Lost Swerves. Goodness knows WWE Creative have vivisected nearly every interesting angle they've come across.

...and when Cena gets booked, people hand over their money.

DMczaf

Quite amazing how they managed to do this segment on the one show a year there's a Big Show fan in the crowd. Unless it's a plant.

Probably a plant.

I would say plant, but he's wearing a bootleg Tandy Orton shirt.

I'm scared to say, he's a real fan.

Top Bottom