• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin |OT| Vince McMahon doesn't give 5 million f**ks what you think.

Aiii

So not worth it
All 3 hour Raw's have been awful. Instead of increasing the wrestling, they increase the backstage segments and duration of in-ring promo's.

If they continue that trend their ratings will drop.

Lets hope they at least use the extra hour for exposure to the (lower-)midcard.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
http://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/raw-expands-to-three-hours

NEW YORK – At a USA Network season premiere event in New York City, John Cena revealed on Twitter that Monday Night Raw will expand to a three-hour show, starting with the 1,000th episode on July 23 at 8/7 CT on USA Network.

"WWE is proud to celebrate this historic milestone with our partners at USA Network," WWE Chairman and CEO Vince McMahon said. “Our new three-hour Raw represents the next generation in interactive television where our fans won’t just watch the show, they will help create it.”

Starting with the historic 1,000th episode of Raw on July 23, The WWE Universe will have new ways to get involved in the show through WWE.com and social media by deciding matches, stipulations, Superstar development and more.

"The WWE Universe is one of the most socially active and passionate fan bases in all of television," Chris McCumber and Jeff Wachtel, co-presidents USA Network, said. "The powerful three-hour block of live TV truly makes USA the year-round destination for young male viewers on Monday nights."

Stay with WWE.com for more on this breaking news surrounding Monday Night Raw.

What do you think about Raw expanding to a three-hour show? Sound off now on Twitter using #3hourRAW.

TIDJK.gif

rvd2kewl

TNA counters 3 hour Raw announcement with:

http://www.impactwrestling.com/news...RESTLING-Celebrates-Summer-2012-By-Going-LIVE

TNA IMPACT WRESTLING Celebrates Summer 2012 By Going LIVE On SpikeTV

TNA’S IMPACT WRESTLING CELEBRATES SUMMER 2012 BY GOING LIVE!

SPIKE TV TAKES HIGHLY RATED SHOW LIVE AND TO 8:00PM/ET BEGINNING THURSDAY, MAY 31st

NASHVILLE, TN - (May 17, 2012) -- TNA IMPACT WRESTLING President Dixie Carter and SPIKE TV President Kevin Kay announce today that the highly-rated “IMPACT WRESTLING” will be going Live! from Universal Studios beginning May 31st and continue through the summer. This announcement coincides with the recently announced new, one-hour earlier time slot change of 8:00-10:00pm/ET every Thursday night beginning May 31st.

“We are excited to take IMPACT WRESTLING Live! all summer long, and have our first Live! summer show launch our new 8:00pm/ET time slot,” says TNA President Dixie Carter. “Summer of 2012 is going to be remembered as the most momentous time in our company's history-to-date. Stay tuned."

Scottify

Oh you'll get your 15-20 minute matches.

Alex Riley vs Big Show
Santino vs Titus O'Neal
Lord Tensai vs Khali

Well, those would all be ***** matches I agree. What's the downside again?

But seriously, could this be the first nail in the coffin for Smackdown? Would they drop that show eventually or would they also expand that to 3 hours? Interesting times.

UberTag

Think about how putrid this week's RAW was with no angles built for this week's PPV, filler and non-existent content drawn out over two hours that would not seem to end.

Now imagine every show lasting 50% longer.

That, my friends, is hell on Earth.

Starting with the historic 1,000th episode of Raw on July 23, The WWE Universe will have new ways to get involved in the show through WWE.com and social media by deciding matches, stipulations, Superstar development and more.
No strong heel will EVER be built again.
The WWE Universe will demand through paid text messages that John Cena, Company Man Punk & Triple H bury the roster each and every week.

RBH

At a USA Network season premiere event in New York City, John Cena revealed on Twitter that Monday Night Raw will expand to a three-hour show, starting with the 1,000th episode on July 23 at 8/7 CT on USA Network.

WWE is proud to celebrate this historic milestone with our partners at USA Network," WWE Chairman and CEO Vince McMahon said. “Our new three-hour Raw represents the next generation in interactive television where our fans won’t just watch the show, they will help create it.”

"The WWE Universe is one of the most socially active and passionate fan bases in all of television," Chris McCumber and Jeff Wachtel, co-presidents USA Network, said. "The powerful three-hour block of live TV truly makes USA the year-round destination for young male viewers on Monday nights."

Stay with WWE.com for more on this breaking news surrounding Monday Night Raw.

iu2TL97NiaO99.gif

iStPq31gMi2am.gif

ibV4qpwmbqao4.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
Well, those would all be ***** matches I agree. What's the downside again?

But seriously, could this be the first nail in the coffin for Smackdown? Would they drop that show eventually or would they also expand that to 3 hours? Interesting times.

Doubt that, Sci-Fi loves Smackdown.

UberTag

Maybe by going to 3 hours, we may actually get some nice 15-20 matches and less filler. But, really, who am I kidding? I'm too optimistic.
If a match goes 15 minutes, you'll miss most of it except the finish due to the 2-3 commercial breaks that happen while it's underway.
And the finishes don't matter anyway because the titles are useless and the midcard is comprised of nothing but losers.

FyreWulff

Well actually now that I think about it, they'll just be taping NXT/Superstars at Full Sail so they had to replace the content on the live tour, so I guess USA just said "go ahead and televise the first hour"

Khrno

It's not like it takes me 2 hours or that I watch Raw live from 2 to 4 am, so a 3 hour weekly show is more than welcome.

Aiii

So not worth it
They might even give divas matches longer then 2 minutes w/ entrances and actual finishers instead of suprise roll-up's.

I'm taking a wait-and-see aproach on this. Maybe it'll turn out a good thing.

I must say Impact going live could be awesome though. It will definitely help the show alot, although going live ON THE ROAD would help much much more.

DKehoe

Wrestling fans are maybe the only fans in the world who despair the idea of getting more of what they are a fan of.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
3 hour Raw turns into a 1 hour recap show on the LAW I'll listen to instead.

Wrestling fans are maybe the only fans in the world who despair the idea of getting more of what they are a fan of.

It's not that...it's that they don't know how to use that hour. Imagine - now all of a sudden you have an extra hour to add to Terminator 2, and nobody worth a shit can write it.

UberTag

They might even give divas matches longer then 2 minutes w/ entrances and actual finishers instead of suprise roll-up's.

I'm taking a wait-and-see aproach on this. Maybe it'll turn out a good thing.
This would only turn out to be a good thing if Creative was allowed to develop the undercard/midcard, other titles, build feuds and not any of the bullshit nonsense that presently takes place during 3-hour WWE TV.

You're just going to get more of John Cena. And 3-hour PPVs will seem even less important.

Bowser

Yes, if I was a fan of a combined 40 minutes of 80 minutes of airtime devoted to a blubbering Big Show and JERRRNNNNNNNNNN CENARRRRRRRRRRRRR doing scenes from Ace Ventura, I would be totally happy with this news.

Midcard still won't be developed. This just means we get Khali matches every Monday now. Every 3 hour Raw has been pretty much universally awful. Also now Raw will move down to 2.5 ratings much faster lol. No need to wait until the end of the year like I was thinking before.

Kaladin

I'm scared.

Man, now with Impact going live how am I supposed to know if it sucks or not? This pretty much means I have to watch it every week now.

3 hours? I might be done with WWE for a while. I had to turn off Raw last week, I can't imagine them tacking on another hour of that shit.

Live Impact will be crazy for the 3 weeks until they cancel it being live. 3 hour Raw will probably last a month before USA gets pissed NCIS was doing better ratings in the first hour slot.

Kaladin

Live Impact will be crazy for the 3 weeks until they cancel it being live. 3 hour Raw will probably last a month before USA gets pissed NCIS was doing better ratings in the first hour slot.

They will probably keep Impact live for a while, because live wrestling gets more ratings than taped wrestling. At least until Impact starts to suck again.

DMczaf

They'll add the monochrome still screen at the end of the 1st hour. Old people will never tell the difference.

I like wrestling, I'm not a big fan of the current WWE product. You know, the one with squash matches, endless video packages, and three twenty minute in ring promos per episode

They will probably keep Impact live for a while, because live wrestling gets more ratings than taped wrestling. At least until Impact starts to suck again.

Impact going live hasn't usually meant a justifiable increase in ratings versus the cost that it takes to put on the show. Being live is overrated as most of the fans that watch don't even know it's taped anyway. Going on the road is much more beneficial if they can fill arenas as it gets the word out and makes the show look more major league, which might not help for 1 or 2 weeks of ratings, but would definitely help long term. As a fan I will like it being live of course as you still get that anything can happen vibe, but it won't be live long.

Kaladin

Impact going live hasn't usually meant a justifiable increase in ratings versus the cost that it takes to put on the show. Being live is overrated as most of the fans that watch don't even know it's taped anyway. Going on the road is much more beneficial if they can fill arenas as it gets the word out and makes the show look more major league, which might not help for 1 or 2 weeks of ratings, but would definitely help long term. As a fan I will like it being live of course as you still get that anything can happen vibe, but it won't be live long.

They do only talk like it will be live throughout the summer.

Top Bottom