• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin |OT| Vince McMahon doesn't give 5 million f**ks what you think.

That's cool, I see how it is. My rep isn't very good therefore those hard asses have to be hard. No matter, I'll go enjoy it on my own.

I'll quietly watch it on tv whenever it shows up on the programming schedule, and I will quietly enjoy it without having to type out my thoughts towards it on the internet board. More time for the big names like Dream, Plywood, Heel, CaptainYamamoto and whoever else.

Don't you already wear Tapout shirts?....Or, err, uh, didn't G-Fex wear Tapout shirts? You're good in that case, just don't mention wrestling....ever. Don't mention wrestling and pretend you actually know BJJ, and you'll be good.

Also, try to fight people in the reals. If you're aggressive, people will know you watch MMA and are part of the hardcore mixed martial community.

I've had little puroresu to watch recently, so I actually tried UFC this past weekend and surprisingly enjoyed a lot of the show - I really liked that Del Rosario vs the Croatian guy fight, right up until the point where the Croat just decided to elbow the shit out of Rosario, and despite all the death-match wrestling I have watched, I still found that kind of violence to be slightly unsettling. Felt sorry for that Big Foot guy, lol, the main event was good and I liked that Varner guy's match. Not a bad show, especially given WWE's recent low standards. If it wasn't for puroresu and indy wrestling, I could easily understand why so many abandon wrestling in favour of MMA.

I've had little puroresu to watch recently, so I actually tried UFC this past weekend and surprisingly enjoyed a lot of the show - I really liked that Del Rosario vs the Croatian guy fight, right up until the point where the Croat just decided to elbow the shit out of Rosario, and despite all the death-match wrestling I have watched, I still found that kind of violence to be slightly unsettling. Felt sorry for that Big Foot guy, lol, the main event was good and I liked that Varner guy's match. Not a bad show, especially given WWE's recent low standards. If it wasn't for puroresu and indy wrestling, I could easily understand why so many abandon wrestling in favour of MMA.

Beginning of the end.

I look forward to your Japanese/Brazilian old school footage in MMA-GAF this time next year.

G-Fex

Don't you already wear Tapout shirts?....Or, err, uh, didn't G-Fex wear Tapout shirts? You're good in that case, just don't mention wrestling....ever. Don't mention wrestling and pretend you actually know BJJ, and you'll be good.

Also, try to fight people in the reals. If you're aggressive, people will know you watch MMA and are part of the hardcore mixed martial community.

okie dokie.

RBH

a6Zit.gif

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

BJJ? Blow Job Jamboree?

Probably. I'm about to watch something called K-1. Is Bellator worth bothering with?

K-1's kickboxing FYI, and I don't really mess with Bellator aside from random stand out fights here and there. But King Mo's signing with TNA so if Dixie sees something in them, it's gotta be good, right?

Yo, Heel, I know you lurking. Help Bootaaay convert.

Heel

Probably. I'm about to watch something called K-1. Is Bellator worth bothering with?

K-1 is kickboxing, no ground work. The show earlier today was amazing. For a casual fan, Bellator is generally not worth your time with so many UFC shows.

You're all welcome in the MMA thread if you can survive a hazing period, haha. A good amount of us are old wrasslin' fans.

G-Fex

K-1 is kickboxing, no ground work. The show earlier today was amazing. For a casual fan, Bellator is generally not worth your time with so many UFC shows.

You're all welcome in the MMA thread if you can survive a hazing period, haha. A good amount of us are old wrasslin' fans.

pfft

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
It begins.

Linkified

He added: "Everyone says I'm quite athletic.

"I'm a guy who can move around.

"I can do some high flying."

Well you won't be doing any of that shit in WWE, so get oiled and loosen up for your 30 second match where you squash some 100lb indie kid or D-level WWE not-even-superstar

If they want to revamp and bring cruiser weights in for the third extra hour of RAW, they shouldn't. Create the Velocity belt for the most high octane action. Actually turn Smackdown into the Velocity division and tag team show. And use RAW as the getting main eventers over show.

If they want to revamp and bring cruiser weights in for the third extra hour of RAW, they shouldn't. Create the Velocity belt for the most high octane action. Actually turn Smackdown into the Velocity division and tag team show. And use RAW as the getting main eventers over show.

How many traditionally cruiser weight moves are banned? Enough to make a difference on the division? I know Cena's tumble roll through the ropes is allowed but I don't know if they've banned anything that will have an effect, so i'm actually curious.

Hey Wrassle Gaf Sorry to interrupt the Kane/AJ/WWE complaining discussion but 411 Mania will be interviewing CHIKARA founder Mike Quackenbush today at 5:30 EST. Quack will discuss CHIAKRA celebrating their 10-year anniversary, the growth of the promotion in the last two-years, the last eighteen-months and fan reaction to the direction of the company and also discusses Saturday’s Chikarasaurus Rex: How to Hatch a Dinosaur iPPV! Here a link to the interview.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ltcsonka411/2012/05/28/the-411-on-wrestling-interviews-chikaras-mike-quackenbush

edit.

CHIKARA Podcast-A-Go-Go 318

This week on the PAGG, Dasher Hatfield vs. Archibald Peck in Vaughan, and 3.0lé vs. The Batiri from Ottawa.

RBH

Numerous sources within TNA are confirming that Don West, who has been with the company from day one as an announcer before moving on to head TNA's Merchandise end during the summer of 2009, has given TNA notice that will be finishing shortly with the company.

West, who had no previous experience working in the business, was brought in as an announcer for the company when they launched in June 2002. He and Mike Tenay soon became the company's announcing team, although West was also used at times as The Amazing Red's manager, which was a role he was very good at.

In August 2011, West was replaced by Taz as an announcer for the promotion, West was given a promotion behind the scenes and took over TNA's Merchandise end. West immediately went on the road full-time handling the company's autograph signings and doing "Don West Deals" live at the shows. West would trumpet special deals from inside the ring and the merchandise table, sort of a pied piper for selling shirts and DVDs, doing an amazing job at getting the company's merch sales up.

West, who first gained fame for Shop at Home, was famous for his unique and zany sales pitches, which at one point was parodied by Will Ferrell on Saturday Night Live. West regularly created those pitches online via the ShopTNA.com websites. A number of people within TNA have noted that it's going to be "near impossible" to replace West's skills in the merchandise aspect of the company.

Going forward, West will be focusing on his website WildWestDeals.com.
http://www.pwinsider.com/article/68833/maj...om-tna.html?p=1

krae_man

Brooke Adams fell out of her top during the water fight battle royal during that Memorial Day Raw in Toronto and I was looking somewhere else and missed it :(

Novid

Banned
There was a comment over at one of the MMA blogs conserning White and Brocks deal to do both brands:

Brock/Mir III will do hot numbers on PPV. And then everyone will wonder why Lesnar didn’t draw well on PPV against John Cena.
First of all, WWE’s PPV market outside of Wrestlemania is fried like a bucket of KFC. Wrestlemania is the one PPV that draws for them now. Wrestlemania is as big, if not bigger than the WWE brand at this point. When WWE tried to push The Rock & John Cena against R-Truth & Miz in that tag match at Madison Square Garden for Survivor Series 2011, the PPV number there was way below expectations. If The Rock can’t save WWE’s PPV business, Brock Lesnar isn’t going to, either. It’s a company thing as opposed to being the fault of the stars.

If thats the case its only a matter of time before they leave the PPV market for good.

krae_man

If they booked storylines for the entire roster that culminated at PPV's instead of just writing John Cena's storyline and having everything else be pointless filler maybe people would want to see them all.

Novid

Banned
The day John Cena gets a major injury (and it will be MUCH sooner than later and it will be carrer ending) we will see how bad the business has become. Cena is Hogan with Magnum TA's carrer run. It will end badly. I dont see how it will not.

dream

Unlike my good friend Heel, I actually think Bootaaay would enjoy Bellator very much. Think of it as the Ultimate version of Evolve. Where Evolve is booked around win/loss records, Bellator lives and dies on their tournaments -- you don't get a title shot (even if you're a "star") unless you win a 8 man tournament.

This gets interesting because the tournament format inherently creates a ton of storylines. Bellator also does a much better job than any other promotion when it comes to developing their fighter's characters. This season has sucked ass because fuck heavyweights, but I think the overall format of Bellator is easier to follow than diving into the wild west of the Ultimate where nothing seems to matter.

They also have the best commentary duo in the business.

Entropia

No One Remembers
If they booked storylines for the entire roster that culminated at PPV's instead of just writing John Cena's storyline and having everything else be pointless filler maybe people would want to see them all.

Agreed. Back in the day you had a reason to purchase every PPV. Every match on there meant something and had a story leading up to it. Now, it's just Cena vs. Whoever with a side of world/heavyweight titles.

I'm also for removing a lot of the PPVs.

Should just be: Royal Rumble(January) / Wrestlemania (April) / King of the Ring (June) / SummerSlam (August) / Survivor Series (November)

UberTag

Does WWE have any televised events planned for Canada this year?? I remember we were going to get Survivor Series, then that got tossed.
As best as I can tell, the WWE isn't going to Canada for ANY events this year (televised or otherwise). They certainly haven't announced any.

krae_man

:'-(

Does WWE have any televised events planned for Canada this year?? I remember we were going to get Survivor Series, then that got tossed.

I was holding out hope that TLC was going to be in Toronto since that was the only one that was still TBA for location but it was just announced today it's going to be at that new New Jersey Nets arena in New York.

There isn't a single Canadian show date listed on the website at the moment.

Agreed. Back in the day you had a reason to purchase every PPV. Every match on there meant something and had a story leading up to it. Now, it's just Cena vs. Whoever with a side of world/heavyweight titles.

I'm also for removing a lot of the PPVs.

Should just be: Royal Rumble(January) / Wrestlemania (April) / King of the Ring (June) / SummerSlam (August) / Survivor Series (November)

I like that idea a lot. That's how it was in the early 90's if i recall, then in 95 or so they introduced 'In Your House' and before you knew it we have 12 PPV's per year.

Was great in the mid to late 90's in the UK as we got them all for free on Sky Sports, now we get like 3 free per year and it's usually the worst ones.

What's up with the Raw 'Supershow' aswel ?, it just looks like Smackdown guys are on it, why not just get rid of Smackdown altogether and have a 3 hour supershow every Monday night.

Tried watching again this past few months and it's beyond awful, i fast forward through 90% of it.

I think the internet and Tivo / Sky + killed pro wrestling tbh.

I remember being blown away when Jericho showed up on Raw in 99.

Top Bottom