• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin |OT| Vince McMahon doesn't give 5 million f**ks what you think.

krae_man

MzKk2.jpg

Linkified

So from Review-a-RAW podcast it sounds as though Bock Lesnar is going to be jobbing to Tripple H.

D.Brine will job to Punk for 3 months then go back to feuding for WHC, pinned by RyBack, Lord Tensai, Great Khali and the other members of the Doom Patrol.

krae_man

It might not be his fault anyway. You'd think Vince would have told him to count faster. Or you know, had the brawling outside be somewhere so the Ref could see the clock while counting.

Bowser

It might not be his fault anyway. You'd think Vince would have told him to count faster. Or you know, had the brawling outside be somewhere so the Ref could see the clock while counting.

It took him 26 clock seconds to count to 10 though :/

BTW, has Cena ever AA'ed Johnny Ace? You think it'd be CM Punk that would be getting the pipe bomb to the back of the head considering he physically assaulted Johnny Ace and what not...

Bowser

Looks like Fozzy is touring again according to Jericho twitter

They're playing at some festival that runs from August through September, so Jericho will still be around for the next two months at least I would think. Then they'll probably run some injury angle to get him off-screen.

Kaladin

Looks like Fozzy is touring again according to Jericho twitter

I would go to that because I have never seen Fozzy, but he's touring with a bunch of bands I either don't like or have never heard of in the Rockstar Uproar Festival......sigh.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
There are also rumors the whole thing is a work lol. Who knows.
I don't care if the Lesnar going nuts backstage thing is a work. If Cena was supposed to be taken out on a stretcher, but he refused, then I lose respect.

Although, I'll give the benefit of the doubt, because while I can't stand Cena's character, I've always said that he's a great guy out of the ring.

Bowser

I don't care if the Lesnar going nuts backstage thing is a work. If Cena was supposed to be taken out on a stretcher, but he refused, then I lose respect.

Although, I'll give the benefit of the doubt, because while I can't stand Cena's character, I've always said that he's a great guy out of the ring.

Yeah, I have to think someone either changed the booking without filling Lesnar in or shortly before the match or Cena decided to do it on his own. The whole promo thing made no sense whatsoever, and now that Cena is still on TV, makes even LESS sense.

UberTag

Nice guy or not we can't keep acting like Cena is oblivious to the fact that he's helped nobody else get over despite being a stale main event face for the past 8 years.

He's fully aware of what he's doing. But he's also making a bunch of kids wishes come true and he works 500 days a year so it frankly doesn't matter to him that he's facilitating the creatively bankrupt "Cena must be the focus of every show" approach to business.

When Cena eventually leaves and the WWE is crippled due to nobody else being over or able to draw it won't be his problem to deal with.

I would go to that because I have never seen Fozzy, but he's touring with a bunch of bands I either don't like or have never heard of in the Rockstar Uproar Festival......sigh.

I saw them in 2010 and they were really good live, and I'm not even that much of a fan of their recorded stuff - their sound was great and you can tell Jericho just absolutely loves every minute of it, they put on an awesome show. They're back over here to play Download festival, but I'm hoping to catch them supporting Ugly Kid Joe in London the week before :)

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Yeah, I have to think someone either changed the booking without filling Lesnar in or shortly before the match or Cena decided to do it on his own. The whole promo thing made no sense whatsoever, and now that Cena is still on TV, makes even LESS sense.
It's a damn shame when WCW seems to have more booking sense and planning than this. This is just hitting new lows, which is a shame because the PPV had some great matches. Punk/Bryan can be a great thing, but one good program in a sea of garbage is just terrible.

Kaladin

OK, so I'm also tired of John Cena now. I know I'm 5 years late, sorry.

I reached that point last night also. They've pushed me to the point where I don't give a fuck what Cena does anymore. I'll treat his segments like I do the TNA knockouts and FF. I'm not even sure I'd watch if he feuds with Punk, Bryan or Jericho.

jmdajr

I reached that point last night also. They've pushed me to the point where I don't give a fuck what Cena does anymore. I'll treat his segments like I do the TNA knockouts and FF. I'm not even sure I'd watch if he feuds with Punk, Bryan or Jericho.
Awww. Why you gotta hate the knockouts :'(

SoulPlaya

more money than God
That news was so fucking disappointing that I don't even think I want to talk about Kane today. What have you done to me WWE?

Can anyone think of any instance where Cena has actually helped a younger talent get over? Ryder doesn't count, as his association with Cena systematically destroyed him.

All I can think of is those handful of RAW's in 2010 where he teamed with Evan Bourne, then apparently went and told Vince they should be pushing Bourne or they could risk dropping the ball with him. Of course, his push lasted all of a month or so, Bourne went back to random tag teams, Cena went back to the main event. Would it have killed him to spend a month or two going after the tag belts with Bourne? Putting over Bourne, the tag belts and whoever would eventually beat Cena & Bourne in the process?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Can anyone think of any instance where Cena has actually helped a younger talent get over? Ryder doesn't count, as his association with Cena systematically destroyed him.

All I can think of is those handful of RAW's in 2010 where he teamed with Evan Bourne, then apparently went and told Vince they should be pushing Bourne or they could risk dropping the ball with him. Of course, his push lasted all of a month or so, Bourne went back to random tag teams, Cena went back to the main event. Would it have killed him to spend a month or two going after the tag belts with Bourne? Putting over Bourne, the tag belts and whoever would eventually beat Cena & Bourne in the process?
Man, a Bourne and Cena tag team would have been terrible, lol.

The only way things will change is if people turn the channel during a John Cena match or segment. Cena is supposedly hated but he still draws numbers. When you see that John Cena will be the next segment, just change the channel. I know that is what I will be doing, if something interesting actually happens I can find it on Youtube or read a recap.

Man, a Bourne and Cena tag team would have been terrible, lol.

Regardless, the fact that main event stars never drop out of the main event to go after the tag belts is one part of why there's no prestige to the titles any more (that, and the fact that creative no longer give a shit about any of the mid-card belts). It would help the laughable WWE 'tag division' greatly for a guy like Cena, or Orton, or Punk to spend a month or two feuding for the tag titles and ultimately putting over a young team before going back to the main event scene.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
The only way things will change is if people turn the channel during a John Cena match or segment. Cena is supposedly hated but he still draws numbers. When you see that John Cena will be the next segment, just change the channel. I know that is what I will be doing, if something interesting actually happens I can find it on Youtube or read a recap.
Yeah, he "draws", but what's the point when the audience keeps getting smaller and smaller. And it isn't just Cena. When people discuss the Attitude Era, people also spend a great time talking about the great midcard and guys other than Austin and Rock. That's what's missing today.

doesn't matter if you don't have a nielson box, also the main storylines focus around Cena, if you don't watch Cena segments what are you going to be watching? Big Show vs Khali? Vickie Guerrero? Swagger vs Funkasaurus?

UberTag

Unless you're physically at an event in clear visibility of the ring, bring a pillow and consciously turn away from the action in a large group and outright IGNORE anything Cena is involved with Vince will never get that message.

This would work especially well if you all had custom T-Shirts with a bunch of Zzzz Zzzz Zzzz printed on the back of them.

Don't count on it. The 3.0 barrier is pretty much where the Little Jimmy demographic and occasional overflow hardcore audience lies. We may see some 2.8s or 2.9s during the summer lull and when a really nice Monday Night football matchup is scheduled but otherwise?

I'd say the stock price is more compelling to watch. Especially with Vince outright lying during shareholder meetings and being exposed as deluded.

At the end of the day, though... the WWE is the only "viable" wrestling product in town which affords Vince the opportunity to run his business like a complete lunatic without facing any repercussions whatsoever. Wrestling fans are drug addicts so they'll keep coming back to him for their fix no matter how shitty his product.

I always believed that Vince's big man fetish is because he is secretly gay. (I'm not saying this as a joke or to be offensive)

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Regardless, the fact that main event stars never drop out of the main event to go after the tag belts is one part of why there's no prestige to the titles any more (that, and the fact that creative no longer give a shit about any of the mid-card belts). It would help the laughable WWE 'tag division' greatly for a guy like Cena, or Orton, or Punk to spend a month or two feuding for the tag titles and ultimately putting over a young team before going back to the main event scene.
I actually disagree. Anytime they've ever done one of those team up a main eventer in the tag team division thing, they've just used the dude to bury the division. I understand your sentiment, but I have no faith in them to get it right.

Bowser

Yeah, he "draws", but what's the point when the audience keeps getting smaller and smaller. And it isn't just Cena. When people discuss the Attitude Era, people also spend a great time talking about the great midcard and guys other than Austin and Rock. That's what's missing today.

Hm? We've got a great mid-card fued in Punk vs Bryan this month!

lol it's sad because it's true.

Unless you're physically at an event in clear visibility of the ring, bring a pillow and consciously turn away from the action in a large group and outright IGNORE anything Cena is involved with Vince will never get that message.

This would work especially well if you all had custom T-Shirts with a bunch of Zzzz Zzzz Zzzz printed on the back of them.
That would be awesome. Next time WWE is in a smark city the fans just need to turn their back to John Cena. No booing, no reaction, just turn their back and not say a word until the segment is over. Vince would absolutely lose his shit!

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Holy crap have we jumped the shark on Cena accusations. Blaming him for PG era?
Yeah, that's just silly. That was an internal decision to get more sponsors and partially for Linda's campaign. It's worked, btw, in getting more sponsors. The WWE was probably more edgy than ever in 2002 and the years before the PG era, and those years weren't much better. Hell, I would argue that they we were worse in many ways.

PG isn't the problem, it just exacerbates it. Awful, short-sighted booking is the problem.

How great would it be if you guys get all worked up and hyped over Bryan vs Punk and then Punk beats him in 7 seconds?

It would be great in the sense that I would no longer feel compelled to waste my time watching WWE programming, as this is about all they have going for them at the moment in my book.

How great would it be if you guys get all worked up and hyped over Bryan vs Punk and then Punk beats him in 7 seconds?
Dont think that would ever happen. Punk would not go along with that. I would be really pissed off, as would be a lot of other people. Of course Raw was a steaming pile last night and will still draw millions next week so who knows. Hopefully Impact is decent this week, of course every time it is good the ratings drop quite a bit.

jmdajr

Yeah, that's just silly. That was an internal decision to get more sponsors and partially for Linda's campaign. It's worked, btw, in getting more sponsors. The WWE was probably more edgy than ever in 2002 and the years before the PG era, and those years weren't much better.
My conspiracy theory was Chris Benoit murderous rampage. Vince had to save face.

Top Bottom