• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin |OT| Vince McMahon doesn't give 5 million f**ks what you think.

So can they still save Brock?

He lost his first match back for no good reason other then John Cena being a asshole and maybe management showing that guy who left them before who is boss and now he is in a feud with the wet towel of wrestling Triple H.

God damn. He was there chance to get new fans on board. They had a great build for the Cena match. Brock was a dominating monster and the build was intense, the match was hard hitting... they even had a logical reason for Cena not to be super cena being that he lost his mojo after losing at WM but NOOOOOO.

And now Triple H......

God damn it. Why are they so afraid of making there show better?

uhhh. I am on the brink of just not caring anymore.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Cena admitted in an interview he pushed Vince to do it. It's not an accusation at all.
He may have pushed for it, but it's not his fault. Cena may have influence, but he's not running the company, and no way did they go PG cause Cena wanted it. People need to stop blaming the quality of the product on it being PG. It's bad due to inconsistent wrestling, no buildup for characters, no midcard or tag team division and little attention being given outside of a few guys. Being PG has nothing to do with that. I'd also hope that they wouldn't try to cover up their issues with some misplaced blood.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Also, people need to realize that "Hardcore" wrestling isn't coming back in the WWE, PG or not. That's a decision to prolong the careers of its wrestlers, not due to being PG.

RBH

Don't count on it. The 3.0 barrier is pretty much where the Little Jimmy demographic and occasional overflow hardcore audience lies. We may see some 2.8s or 2.9s during the summer lull and when a really nice Monday Night football matchup is scheduled but otherwise?

I'd say the stock price is more compelling to watch. Especially with Vince outright lying during shareholder meetings and being exposed as deluded.

At the end of the day, though... the WWE is the only "viable" wrestling product in town which affords Vince the opportunity to run his business like a complete lunatic without facing any repercussions whatsoever. Wrestling fans are drug addicts so they'll keep coming back to him for their fix no matter how shitty his product.

I laughed when Vince was talking about Superstars/NXT and saying that keeping those shows off TV was a strategic move, rather than admitting that WGN cancelled Superstars and NXT's ratings were lower than what SyFy wanted.

krae_man

That would be awesome. Next time WWE is in a smark city the fans just need to turn their back to John Cena. No booing, no reaction, just turn their back and not say a word until the segment is over. Vince would absolutely lose his shit!

All they have to do is leave early. Cener is the main event.

"Fuck It, I would rather lose my chair I paid $400 for then watch John Cena"

I laughed when Vince was talking about Superstars/NXT and saying that keeping those shows off TV was a strategic move, rather than admitting that WGN cancelled Superstars and NXT's ratings were lower than what SyFy wanted.
I still cant believe Vince wants to launch a WWE network. Wrestling isnt hot right now and with WWE stock the same price as a Mcdonalds Value Meal it is critical to remain profitable. WWE network really does have a chance at bankrupting WWE, I truly think Vince has dementia or something, the man has clearly lost his mind.

dream

I still cant believe Vince wants to launch a WWE network. Wrestling isnt hot right now and with WWE stock the same price as a Mcdonalds Value Meal it is critical to remain profitable. WWE network really does have a chance at bankrupting WWE, I truly think Vince has dementia or something, the man has clearly lost his mind.

This is why we should all be rooting for the WWE Network to launch ASAP.

Ultratech

Also, people need to realize that "Hardcore" wrestling isn't coming back in the WWE, PG or not. That's a decision to prolong the careers of its wrestlers, not due to being PG.

Well, if the industry truly is cyclical, it may come back eventually, but not in the immediate future.

They really need more matches like this though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAnP4RY1-oQ

Hell, it was PG and still sorta entertaining for what's essentially a weapons match.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Cena put over that young upstart Edge.
That had to be done to get people cheering Cena again. If you don't remember, this was around the time of 'We've Cena Nough'. This was when fans still cheered Kurt Angle despite Kurt making Jesus tap out,.

Mick Foley, Atushi Onita, and Terry Funk all had exceptionally long careers, and they're pretty much the biggest hardcore wrestlers of all time.

dream

I understand this line of thinking, but if that happened Hogan, Dixie and Bischoff would be, at least for a season, the rulers of pro wrestling. My God that is scary as hell!

I know, but at least it would be something different -- especially with an influx of talent. It's so clear that things will never get better with WWE leading the way that you almost have to hope something disruptive happens.

I know, but at least it would be something different -- especially with an influx of talent. It's so clear that things will never get better with WWE leading the way that you almost have to hope something disruptive happens.
Cant argue that, Impact has at least been doing some good things lately, hopefully they can provide some competition in the next few years.

DKehoe

Mick Foley, Atushi Onita, and Terry Funk all had exceptionally long careers, and they're pretty much the biggest hardcore wrestlers of all time.

Aren't they also all a mess physically? If I remember right Foley can no longer tie his shoe laces.

Another factor is the WWE schedule. You just can't work that style that often.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Aren't they also all a mess physically? If I remember right Foley can no longer tie his shoe laces.

Another factor is the WWE schedule. You just can't work that style that often.

The WWE schedule is FAR more dangerous to a wrestler's health than even the most extreme matches.

krae_man

Cena put over that young upstart Edge.

I don't call "give Edge the belt for 3 weeks so the Crowds will stop booing Cena" Cena putting Edge over.

Edge got destroyed that entire feud and the second half of it only happened because RVD was an idiot.

Did Edge ever beat Cena clean?

The Elimination Chamber match is the only time I can think of. One on one matches had explanations for Cena losing like:just competed in an elimination chamber match, hit in head with belt, 7000 watt searchlight etc.

Heel

The Ultimate's slow and steady progression as the superior form of Sports Entertainment is the disruption, friend. As the amount of fighters who realize how to market and carry themselves on the m.i.c. grows, the more undeniable it becomes.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
That had to be done to get people cheering Cena again. If you don't remember, this was around the time of 'We've Cena Nough'. This was when fans still cheered Kurt Angle despite Kurt making Jesus tap out,.

There's no way in hell you can be hardcore and work the WWE schedule. No way.

Floex

Jeez, I really wish they would get rid of the word 'extreme'. It's a term associated with the 90's. Like Soul said, it's nothing to do with PG. Take Punk/Jericho match, I wouldn't call that PG but it told a great story. Same for other two main events. The problem is logical story telling, resting on the laurels and generally stuck with no new ideas. I have just recently come back to watching (due to Rock/Brock) but like fuck am I sticking around. The product is the same turd as it was in 2002. The main matches from Wrestlemania and Extreme Rules though, wow, got a great buzz almost as I did all those years ago. They have the talent but the men in jackets have zero ideas and seeing as Vince is the man in charge, I don't see the product changing until he has long gone

Kaladin

This is what pushed me over the edge with Cena......

1) They made us care about his match with The Rock. If he lost, he would lose everything. Well, a month later......that loss doesn't even register in Cena's mind.

2) They made us care about Brock Lesnar vs Cena. Brock Lesnar was going to bring the pain and legitimize WWE. He brought the pain, but Cena no-sold the pain and won in two moves....and to pour salt on the wound, he cuts a feel good promo in the middle of the ring instead of being stretchered out. Any chance Brock Lesnar had at legitimizing WWE is gone.

3) Last night....after not taking time off like we thought (injury angle + his speech) he's put in a match vs John Laurenitus on PPV which doesn't have any point but to get people to cheer for Cena.

Fuck that......I'm out.

Don't worry if there is one thing I know about wrestling, its that every one gets whats coming to them.

Cenas days are numbered.

I know your avatar is Van Damme, but I only see Cena. I'm at breaking point. :(

1) They made us care about his match with The Rock. If he lost, he would lose everything. Well, a month later......that loss doesn't even register in Cena's mind.

2) They made us care about Brock Lesnar vs Cena. Brock Lesnar was going to bring the pain and legitimize WWE. He brought the pain, but Cena no-sold the pain and won in two moves....and to pour salt on the wound, he cuts a feel good promo in the middle of the ring instead of being stretchered out. Any chance Brock Lesnar had at legitimizing WWE is gone.

3) Last night....after not taking time off like we thought (injury angle + his speech) he's put in a match vs John Laurenitus on PPV which doesn't have any point but to get people to cheer for Cena.

Fuck that......I'm out.

I think it was that shitty speech after the PPV fight that made me think, 'Ergh' too. You could see people waiting to 'carry him out' yet there he was laughing and joking about the fight he just had. Is this what it was like in the early 90s when people got fed up of Hulk Hogan? I think I was about 11/12 when that happened - I knew he wasn't as cool as I remembered him to be, but I never hated him. Obviously the heel turn happened so it didn't matter after that and suddenly he was coooooooooooooooooooooooool.

Entropia

No One Remembers

Fuck that......I'm out.

Agreed.

I seriously do not understand WWE's reasoning for this. I wish Vince would step back and let some proper bookers take over. This is absurd. They don't realize the potential they have, they go from one extreme to the other. Cena cut that promo after the PPV, that should've been it. We shouldn't hear from him for atleast 2-3 months to setup a rematch with Brock and Summerslam. HHH should've kept his damn nose out of this too. Have Brock gun for the title, imagine him and Sheamus going at it? I'm glad that D.Brine and Punk are going to be fighting for the title at Over The Limit, but I can only imagine that Vince did this to pander to the IWC and we'll be getting some shit storm to make this match barely tolerable to us.

And Cena needs to work on his character acting. I mean, he keeps trying to do this kayfabe shit and it just makes him look absolutely pathetic. Turn the man into a heel already. Hell it made the Rock a LOT better back in the day.

I know your avatar is Van Damme, but I only see Cena. I'm at breaking point. :(

I think it was that shitty speech after the PPV fight that made me think, 'Ergh' too. You could see people waiting to 'carry him out' yet there he was laughing and joking about the fight he just had. Is this what it was like in the early 90s when people got fed up of Hulk Hogan?

That makes sense when he talks about people saying he needs a vacation in his speech.

I think people said they were tired and are discussing the reasons they are tired/fed up with John Cena.

I'd lend my support to recommending CHIKARA as an alternative to watch. PG Wrestling done correctly.

Floex

Clearly everyone cares about Cena, as we can't stop talking about him.

Then may I direct you elsewhere? :)

EVOLVE & Dragon Gate USA
Ring of Honor
CHIKARA Pro-Wrestling
Pro-Wrestling Guerrilla
AAW Wrestling
Absolute Intense Wrestling
Combat Zone Wrestling

See I tried ROH but the low production standards was a bit of a turnoff. I watched the first TV tapings but just couldn't get into it. My first comeback was in TNA's heyday. That product blew me away with the x-division and the talent. AJ, joe, Daniels, dutt, petey Williams, Roode, Storm, MCM. Then what happens? The wcw boys take a huge shit on the product and turned it into more nonsense than the wwe. Call me when Heyman makes a comeback ;)

Brinbe

Fuck that......I'm out.

haha, good stuff. I've been tired of Cena's Superman shit for years now, and I think what did it for me was the crap he pulled with Del Rio, because it just rubbed me the wrong way. Complaining about how he won (which was perfectly fine) and the stuff with cars and shit? Just dumb and it buried ADR quite a bit. I don't know, Cena really came off as completely unlikable and that's stuck with me since.

Brah when are they gonna fansub DDT?

:(

Man, I can't even get DDT to send me DVDs to the UK, let alone subtitle their shows.

Floex said:
Call me when Heyman makes a comeback ;)

I wish - can't ever see that happening though. Next best thing would be EVOLVE & Dragon Gate USA, booked by Heyman's protégée Gabe Sapolsky.

And I can understand the low production values being an issue, trouble is there's simply no one else with the kind of cash WWE & TNA have.

Parallax said:
hype is through the FUCKING ROOF. holy shit.

low ki may be hard to work with, but he plays the heel fucking well. its a shame he couldnt stick it out in the e, but to be honest, we all know where he would be now....

Seriously, this match is going to be great - and I hope for Ki's sake he can have a proper go of making it in Japan like MVP, rather than being just another 'gaijin of the month' guy like Davey Richards.

Khrno

If you really think about it. No heel has ever jumped from Smackdown to Raw without being buried or losing what got them over in the first place.

Del Rio jumped from SD, from unsuccessfully winning the WHC, to Raw to become the WWE champion, twice at that. So it's not all bleak for Bryan.

Linkified

Can anyone think of any instance where Cena has actually helped a younger talent get over? Ryder doesn't count, as his association with Cena systematically destroyed him.

All I can think of is those handful of RAW's in 2010 where he teamed with Evan Bourne, then apparently went and told Vince they should be pushing Bourne or they could risk dropping the ball with him. Of course, his push lasted all of a month or so, Bourne went back to random tag teams, Cena went back to the main event. Would it have killed him to spend a month or two going after the tag belts with Bourne? Putting over Bourne, the tag belts and whoever would eventually beat Cena & Bourne in the process?

You could argue that Wade Barrett was nearly made by Cena, when he had control, before they unravelled the Nexus angle so fast with Wade.

Del Rio jumped from SD, from unsuccessfully winning the WHC, to Raw to become the WWE champion, twice at that. So it's not all bleak for Bryan.

Daniel isn't Mexican though, Del Rio's push was all about getting that Mexican audience which is probably their biggest. Vegans just don't have that type of pull these days.

MzKk2.jpg

Sanford Kelly still has his EVO winnings, don't worry.

Kaladin

Seriously, this match is going to be great - and I hope for Ki's sake he can have a proper go of making it in Japan like MVP, rather than being just another 'gaijin of the month' guy like Davey Richards.

I don't know if Low Ki will get a proper run in Japan right now while he's Gabe's meal ticket in Evolve and Dragon Gate.

Top Bottom