• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT2| Where the Big Boys Play

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
But I'm not paying per view of it. Makes no sense.

It's an event. That is more significant than other events, making it special.
There is nothing special or significant about Payback. It's basically another shitty Raw or a Smackdown episode. New thread isn't needed. Save your energy.

Is there even a WWE title match at Payback? if not they should have just stripped Bryan of the title and whipped up some multi man punch up to increase the PPV interest, pretty much anything is better than nothing.

Is there even a WWE title match at Payback? if not they should have just stripped Bryan of the title and whipped up some multi man punch up to increase the PPV interest, pretty much anything is better than nothing.

Yep.

Daniel Bryan vs Stephanie McMahon in a War of Words match for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. If Bryan loses, Brie Bella will be fired.

Ithil

For a throwaway B PPV? That's some bad long term planning.
These PPVs don't even matter anymore given they're all on the Network.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
The-Original_gallery_primary.jpg

I'll never get over how dumb SA Scarlet Witch's helmet looks.

Hasney

I really hope Brie gets fired just so Steph can channel her inner Vince and give us a YOOOUUURRRR FFFIIIIRRREEEDD

Also, no more Brie would be the best bonus to that ever.

EDIT: So is everyone just going to post in here during Payback until we get told off again?

NJPW is probably the best place for AJ until GFW opens up. He doesn't have to make anymore "i respect the hell outta you, but" promos to Okada, Nakamura, Tanahashi, Naifo. I have no idea why NJPW has virtual zero merchandise, especially with their parent company's background.

Sblargh

Banned
I'm way too close of sending a botivational to my boss. (who won't even understand it)

BoMotivational_Posters_Change.jpg

Edit: Also, holy shit at some geek who works at WWE. I love you, man/woman/person.

20140527_Light_WWEMaskedWrestlers_HP.jpg

Yep.

Daniel Bryan vs Stephanie McMahon in a War of Words match for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. If Bryan loses, Brie Bella will be fired.
Bryan has to do the job for both this business and the improvement of his current character.

For a throwaway B PPV? That's some bad long term planning.
These PPVs don't even matter anymore given they're all on the Network.

Well you're not wrong but I couldn't possibly be more bored by the current title situation unless ADR picked up the belt.

Man GAF is starting to suck eggs from both sides now

What with one person totally shitting up that Project Beast thread, and two people bitching about what is basically a PBS Telethon in the Reading Rainbow thread...

The one time mods would be actually useful!

ADR was a better and more memorable champion than Bryahahahahahahahaha

Oh man, I can't even stay in character for that one.
Wrasslegaf kayfabe is shattering before my eyes.

Guys, I'm at a roadblock with this thread. I don't give a fuck about any of these matches, storylines, or wrestlers.

Sounds about right.

Botching yet another Kane main event feud with sheer stupid has finally managed to break me.

Sblargh

Banned
If this PPV is as boring as it is expected to be two days after we all went to wrestling heaven with Takeover, man, I just don't know what to say. How is your developmental program so much better than your main show?

Edit: Actually, NXT have a few things inherently on their favor. Talent have time to practice the matches since they are not on the road; the crowd is already there with them and don't need to be pandered and storylines don't need to be explained; matches aren't booked based on merchadising sales nor the stories are written by TV writers who are told their audience is stupid and love toilet humor. A lot less baggage and staleness since everyone is new. Possibly a lot less backstage politics either.

On the other hand, WWE could learn a lot from this; having less shows or an off season so wrestlers can practice, having more basic storylines that plays to the strenghts of the genre instead of bullshit soap opera that nobody wants/cares/thinks it is well done.

If this PPV is as boring as it is expected to be two days after we all went to wrestling heaven with Takeover, man, I just don't know what to say. How is your developmental program so much better than your main show?

This is why you watch more than just WWE. You can hit those highs much more often.

Sblargh

Banned
This is why you watch more than just WWE. You can hit those highs much more often.

I am trying, brother, but it's hard to make time to all of WWE programming plus classic stuff on the network plus everything the rest of the world has to offer. And it's hard to break from WWE weekly bullshit when it's all everyone is talking about.

I'm weak to peer pressure. :(

If she wasn't sloppy as fuck in all her matches, if she wasn't a horrible actress and if she wasn't crying all the time, perhaps I would be a fan.
You're describing Charlotte last night, not Natalya.

I'm with Alucard in thinking Natalya should get her due. Most people were in here talking up Charlotte and saying she carried that match when all I saw was a person in way over her head as she went through the trained motions. She's improving, but she looks and acts like a rookie, and not in the way where it's like a character she's playing.

You're describing Charlotte last night, not Natalya.

I'm with Alucard in thinking Natalya should get her due. Most people were in here talking up Charlotte and saying she carried that match when all I saw was a person in way over her head as she went through the trained motions. She's improving, but she looks and acts like a rookie, and not in the way where it's like a character she's playing.

I agree, it was obvious Nattie was dictating the pace and calling a lot of the spots, but Charlotte did really well given her experience. My main issue with Natalya in that match was her aimless mat work, she should pick a body part and stick to it.

Bandini

I'm not that hyped for Payback, mostly due to the matches being repeats of stuff we've already seen, with predictable outcomes, but it could end up being a very solid show.

El Torito / Hornswoggle should be stupid fun. If only the announce team could bring the same level of enthusiasm to the rest of the matches as they will to this one.

Shield / Evolution should have a lot of good action, but ultimately the predictability of the finish will drag it down a bit.

Fox / Paige has a lot of potential. Take it to the moon, Alicia.

I remain cautiously optimistic for Cena / Wyatt III. I think I've enjoyed this feud more than most people, but I think I like sports entertainment the most when they just go completely over the top with sillyness.

Sheamus / Cesaro will obviously deliver in the ring. Not much to say about that except I hope Cesaro can break away from this rivalry after his loss and move onto bigger things.

BnB / RVD ... can't get myself to care about this one. If I wanted to see an aging stoner do flips and bellyflops, I'd set up a mirror next to my pool.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I agree, it was obvious Nattie was dictating the pace and calling a lot of the spots, but Charlotte did really well given her experience. My main issue with Natalya in that match was her aimless mat work, she should pick a body part and stick to it.

Well, Nattie was literally dictating the pace and calling the spots because she was yakkin' all night.

Any way you cut it, they put on a great match.

I am trying, brother, but it's hard to make time to all of WWE programming plus classic stuff on the network plus everything the rest of the world has to offer. And it's hard to break from WWE weekly bullshit when it's all everyone is talking about.

I'm weak to peer pressure. :(

watch these (stolen from Bootaaay's post):

. Tetsuya Naito (c) vs Tomohiro Ishii - NEVER Openweight Title - (NJPW 2014/02/11)
. Tomohiro Ishii (c) vs Tetsuya Naito - NEVER Openweight Title - (NJPW 2014/04/06) - 20 minutes in
. Tomohiro Ishii (c) vs KUSHIDA - NEVER Openweight Title - (NJPW 2014/04/12)
. Tomohiro Ishii (c) vs Tomoaki Honma - NEVER Openweight Title - (NJPW 2014/05/03)
. Tomohiro Ishii (c) vs Kota Ibushi - NEVER Openweight Title - (NJPW 2014/05/25)

This. I haven't been quite so high on PWG in recent months and New Japan's taken a couple of questionable turns, but Dragon Gate are killing it and there's tons of other stuff available; W-1 - 05/04, DDT - 05/09, NOAH - 05/17, etc, plus more indies than you can shake a stick at.

My biggest issue with PWG is just the lack of shows and the time in between a show and when it is available to watch. I'm so happy for that dailymotion channel. Gonna binge on some NOAH.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Man GAF is starting to suck eggs from both sides now

What with one person totally shitting up that Project Beast thread, and two people bitching about what is basically a PBS Telethon in the Reading Rainbow thread...

The one time mods would be actually useful!
Speaking of the project beast thread, I was inspired:

ixVNsl2UB8S3u.gif

Hasney

Just finished takeover. Loved that main event, yet it was the third best match of the night. Awesome.

I understand why they have a couple of poor weekly shows here and there since you've got so much talent to showcase in an hour, but these events are usually going to be great I think.

Just finished takeover. Loved that main event, yet it was the third best match of the night. Awesome.

I understand why they have a couple of poor weekly shows here and there since you've got so much talent to showcase in an hour, but these events are usually going to be great I think.

New Clash of the Champions

I think at this point the VinceWBF gif is close to coming full circle, and will end up in its final form as Vince going nuts over Keibler's application.
Before that happens somebody ought to do one with the stock's price, the last one that crosses his eyes and knocks him over being the day it lost 74% of its value.

Top Bottom