• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrestling |OT2| We watch it so you don't have to

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
YES DAT CHEAP HEAT

FALCONS LOOOOL

ghostmind

Nakamura has been playing it safe since coming to WWE. Except for his match with Sami, and some of his stuff with Joe, every match has felt like the same sequence of spots.

I'm not sure if this is a communication issue, or something else, but this isn't the Nakamura that was lighting it up in NJPW.

It's been disappointing how it has turned out so far.

Nakamura has been playing it safe since coming to WWE. Except for his match with Sami, and some of his stuff with Joe, every match has felt like the same sequence of spots.

I'm not sure if this is a communication issue, or something else, but this isn't the Nakamura that was lighting it up in NJPW.

It's not a communication issue. Nakamura knows what he's doing. He knows that he can get over doing not that much. So that's what he's doing.

Syder

So I turn on SD for a second and a fire UCE promo gets interrupted by The New Day...

turnoffyourcomputer.gif~c200

Foggy

Not everybody can be AJ Styles. Kana, KENTA, Hero, Devitt, End, all those guys have dramatically watered down styles. It's just what WWE does to guys.

Not everybody can be AJ Styles. Kana, KENTA, Hero, Devitt, End, all those guys have dramatically watered down styles. It's just what WWE does to guys.

This is true. Makes me wonder why they spend so much money hiring these wrestlers just to make everyone the same. Nobody becoming a real star.

Zabka

No, I don't think he'll be booked like those guys. I think he'll be pushed at the level of a guy like AJ, where he wins a lot more than he loses and is always at or near the top of the card.

I brought those two guys up because my point is that guys can stay over in WWE even through bad booking, so Nakamura will damn sure stay over because he'll win often enough. The "death by a thousand cuts" you mentioned won't happen.

Lots of people are "over" with the hardcore crowd in spite of the booking but no one is really breaking through beyond that. That's a big part of the reason why the audience is slowly withering away.

ETA: I'm still bitter about Sasha's booking.

Lots of people are "over" with the hardcore crowd in spite of the booking but no one is really breaking through beyond that. That's a big part of the reason why the audience is slowly withering away.

No, this is not a "hardcore" crowd thing.

Every city they go to (including house shows) is reacting very favorably to Nakamura.

That's not just a hardcore thing.

somedevil

How is Asuka watered down and how can End be watered down when all his matches have been squash matches?

Foggy

This is true. Makes me wonder why they spend so much money hiring these wrestlers just to make everyone the same. Nobody becoming a real star.

Imagine on a logistical level dealing with 10+ hours of weekly live tv to book, averaging almost two ppvs per month, and even more house shows. I can imagine that trying to accommodate that much wrestling pushes every aspect of the product to a conveyor belt approach. The WWE is littered with decisions that accommodate the business side and very few that accommodate the wrestling side. That combined with your stock carny shenanigans have made things the way they are.

ghostmind

I would argue Kana has done a better job than the rest of that list in keeping her matches fresh.

End just got here, so I can't say much about him.

Top Bottom