• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrestling |OT2| We watch it so you don't have to

Syder

OsOG877.gif

That was fun, great opening and closing matches for Scurll's first NJPW tour.

Seriously, these kids need to stop being so fucking pouty when they're booked to lose.

Ha ha ha

Thank god.

For a second I thought Ricochet was going to bury the Chickenwing.

Great match

Alrighty so Takahashi vs Ospreay is for it all.

Barring some weird draw that throws everything into uncertainty.

Ospreay is on a weird super pumped up babyface monster roar kick tonight... it is sort of annoying

Fuck that match...

Ospreay made Rollins look like Okada in the selling department

I completely checked out because of how bad that knee selling was...

And him milking post match makes it even worse.

Menome

...Dolph Ziggler just beat AJ Styles clean.

I know 50/50 booking is going to come into play, but still, I'm flabbergasted.

Christ excelsiorlef don't watch DG whatever you do.

You'd have a Cornette inspired aneurysm.

But DragonGate is built around ridiculousness is it not?

Different expectations. In NJPW I expect if you're going to do a match long knee selling that you actually do it instead of ignoring it doing everything you normally do at full speed and then shake your knee every so often to remind me that you're not actually selling anything.

By the end he was barely even bothering to shake it off.

Sorry but in NJPW I expect you to do better. Given how many shots he took at Orton... to pull that kind of sell job just makes Orton look right.

Like just don't so a knee injury story... it didn't add anything to the match... it just completely detracted from it because of how poorly he sold.

klonere

Banned
But DragonGate is built around ridiculousness is it not?

Different expectations. In NJPW I expect if you're going to do a match long knee selling that you actually do it instead of ignoring it doing everything you normally do at full speed and then shake your knee every so often to remind me that you're not actually selling anything.

By the end he was barely even bothering to shake it off.

Sorry but in NJPW I expect you to do better.

There isn't even one defined style within the Jr. division, let alone NJPW as a whole. It's a smorgasboard of wrestling, from the old Ishii powerviolence stuff, to the mindless spotfests of the Bucks, to the actual shooty Strong Style that Sakuraba would bring back, to the Okada formula, to Taguchi comedy, to DG inspired LIJ 6 mans. That is NJPW's greatest strength imo.

The knee like, wasn't even part of that match fam, Himoru did a dragon screw and a dropkick to it and that was that. He wasn't locking in a 5 minute long figure 4 or anything.

There isn't even one defined style within the Jr. division, let alone NJPW as a whole. It's a smorgasboard of wrestling, from the old Ishii powerviolence stuff, to the mindless spotfest of the Bucks, to the Okada formula, to Taguchi comedy, to DG inspired LIJ 6 mans.

The knee like, wasn't even part of that match fam, Himoru did a dragon screw and a dropkick to it and that was that. He wasn't locking in a 5 minute long figure 4 or anything.

There is no style that dictates selling like that, that wasn't even fighting spirit... Okada's win over Suzuki was fighting spirit, this was rank amateur selling.

There was an extended figure 4 spot actually.

It was absolutely part of the match, the dude was "limping" and "shaking it off" and "slapping his knee" through out the match, he'd kick Takahasi and then "sell" the knee, then kick Takahashi and "sell" the knee and then kick Takahashi and "sell" the knee, and then he was limping around post match and "selling the knee". Like he brought focus to his knee through out the match, ergo it was part of the match.

It was bad and it completely ruined the match because all I could focus on was his stupid knee and how stupid everything he was doing was.

klonere

Banned
Fair enuff, different strokes for different folks.

I definitely do not go into a Takahashi match and think "Man I am going to see some great selling from all involved here". The man made his name killing himself, Dragon Lee, the business and popping back up for another stupid ass move a second afterwards.

Fair enuff, different strokes for different folks.

I definitely do not go into a Takahashi match and think "Man I am going to see some great selling from all involved here". The man made his name killing himself, Dragon Lee, the business and popping back up for another stupid ass move a second afterwards.

Takahashi was great, he's always great.... This is all on Ospreay here...

Like I said he chose to bring focus to the knee, that's on him, not my fault I noticed, he clearly wanted to do Fighting Spirit but had no fucking idea how to do it.

All he had to do was not sell the knee ever ... but he chose to and as such it enters into the match and I become hyper aware at how bad of a job he was doing...

The knee was basically all the storytelling Ospreay was doing. They even did close up zoom on his stupid knee.

It was worst than Super Cena level selling.

Someone found the 1PW First Anniversary DVD in CeX in a Facebook group I'm in and was like WTF is this so I'm enjoying being the 1PW historian there, dubious a title as that is.

klonere

Banned
idk I was too busy looking at how cool all the closing sequences were and getting into it with the crowd to bother with a knee.

I was also thinking when somebody is going to get shoot knocked out by that stupid sunset flip powerbomb to the outside because it's gotta happen

Ospreay acknowledged the damage done, even if it didn't prevent him from performing at his best. That's enough for me tbh and about as much as I expect out of a fast-paced BoSJ block match.

Injuries aren't always absolute. If you've ever watched a football match you've probably seen a player take a crunching tackle that looks set to remove them from the game, only for them to return to action a few minutes later totally fine. I don't know why we expect absolute selling from pro wrestlers when it doesn't work like that in real life.

My face was thrown into a cage. Do any of you know how that feels?

Yeah I was in a cage match before actually.

lol Becky

also fuck me nattie is so bad on the mic

klonere

Banned
Someone found the 1PW First Anniversary DVD in CeX in a Facebook group I'm in and was like WTF is this so I'm enjoying being the 1PW historian there, dubious a title as that is.

Were you in attendance at the show(s?) where they booked Teddy Hart?

I've always wondered what it'd be like to see him live.

Takahashi was great, he's always great.... This is all on Ospreay here...

Like I said he chose to bring focus to the knee, that's on him, not my fault I noticed, he clearly wanted to do Fighting Spirit but had no fucking idea how to do it.

All he had to do was not sell the knee ever ... but he chose to and as such it enters into the match and I become hyper aware at how bad of a job he was doing...

The knee was basically all the storytelling Ospreay was doing. They even did close up zoom on his stupid knee.

It was worst than Super Cena level selling.

Like klonere said, different strokes, but limb-based damage doesn't bother me unless it's egregious. He's young; maybe slapping it, combined with adrenaline, let him get through it. After all, if Ciampa wrestled that ladder match with a legit torn ACL, we really can't start about limb-based damage if the match isn't about it.

idk I was too busy looking at how cool all the closing sequences were and getting into it with the crowd to bother with a knee.

I was also thinking when somebody is going to get shoot knocked out by that stupid sunset flip powerbomb to the outside because it's gotta happen

Already has, that's why that Kushida vs Takahashi match a month or so ago was so short.

if heel charlotte vs face becky happens don't let them go on talking smack together because charlotte corpses at just about everything becky says

is naomi gonna fight lana?

Like klonere said, different strokes, but limb-based damage doesn't bother me unless it's egregious. He's young; maybe slapping it, combined with adrenaline, let him get through it. After all, if Ciampa wrestled that ladder match with a legit torn ACL, we really can't start about limb-based damage if the match isn't about it.

Ciampa didn't sell the injury... You wouldn't have known he was injured if you hadn't read about it...

Completely different

Like come on kicking with your injured leg makes you look like a fucking moron. It should have had some effect on the match beyond Peter Griffin "ohh my knee" every so often... or just don't fucking do it... It was laughable, he be ohh my knee and then do a springboard corkscrew 789 whatever and be completely find and then a minute later Peter Griffin again. That;s not selling, selling affects how you move, how you fight, selling isn't doing all your normal shit but touching your knee in between, that's clowning. There was no story there.

Sorry I am a huge fan of selling and body part matches so when someone makes a mockery of it I get annoyed.

Of all the nights for Sasha to have to be backstage for Smackdown since she's on 205 Live and has a known history of wanting to be on Smackdown, it's the one where a women's MITB match gets announced.

Caderfix

You know, I completely tunned out from wrasslin. I'm just following this thread now, more for laughs than for wrestling.

I think I'm about to stop caring again, like back in 2004 or so.

...Dolph Ziggler just beat AJ Styles clean.

I know 50/50 booking is going to come into play, but still, I'm flabbergasted.

Well, Dolph always look strong, though. He's presented as a guy with potential to beat anyone.

klonere

Banned
I do think that KUSHIDA/Taguchi was the best match of the BoSJ so far though. Something totally different, zero dives (okay maybe 1 dive), maximum drama and crowd investment.

The main event of this show. If NJPW Jr flippy do style isn't your thing, definitely check out this match instead. I think it can be universally appreciated!

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00440_4_1

I do think that KUSHIDA/Taguchi was the best match of the BoSJ so far though. Something totally different, zero dives, maximum drama and crowd investment.

The main event of this show. If NJPW Jr flippy do style isn't your thing, definitely check out this match instead. I think it can be universally appreciated!

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00440_4_1

It's on my list.

I love flippy shit btw, I just don't like shitty unnecessary selling mixed into my flippy shit...

Shane stole my women's MITB match idea! Except I came up with it before knowing the PPV was SD only. Had the top 3 from both shows compete in the one match with the winner being able to cash in on either champion - excitement!

Were you in attendance at the show(s?) where they booked Teddy Hart?

I've always wondered what it'd be like to see him live.

I wasn't, I only ever made the Doncaster shows. I saw the DVD, from what I remember he was disappointingly normal

I did once "work" the hard cam for one of their shows with Sandman on

Ciampa didn't sell the injury... You wouldn't have known he was injured if you hadn't read about it...

Completely different

Like come on kicking with your injured leg makes you look like a fucking moron. It should have had some effect on the match beyond Peter Griffin "ohh my knee" every so often... or just don't fucking do it... It was laughable, he be ohh my knee and then do a springboard corkscrew 789 whatever and be completely find and then a minute later Peter Griffin again. That;s not selling, selling affects how you move, how you fight, selling isn't doing all your normal shit but touching your knee in between, that's clowning. There was no story there.

Sorry I am a huge fan of selling and body part matches so when someone makes a mockery of it I get annoyed.

When Triple H talks about it on a media conference call and Tweets about it, it's part of the match's story, especially since WWE has an expectation that a WWE fan follows everything about it.

I love my limb work (I wouldn't have gone to Evolve shows without the limb work and grapplefuck), but I don't get hung up on it if the the match's story isn't about it.

We can't have it both ways. We can't say that he didn't sell enough in a flippy floppy match and then say that he shouldn't have distracted from the flippy by selling limb-based damage.

Nope. They want Talking Smack to be on a level par with Raw Talk AKA shit.

Yes that's the reason... they want it on the level of a show they run once a month and it's got nothing to do with Bryan's kid being a newborn and him not being on WWE TV period right now because he's with his kid...

You got it.

When Triple H talks about it on a media conference call and Tweets about it, it's part of the match's story, especially since WWE has an expectation that a WWE fan follows everything about it.

I love my limb work (I wouldn't have gone to Evolve shows without the limb work and grapplefuck), but I don't get hung up on it if the the match's story isn't about it.

They made zero reference to it on TV, he did not sell in during the event, they did not draw attention to it during the match at all. It was not part of the story.

And Ospreay made it part of the story by constantly going back to it and the camera constantly getting in there on the knee.

Top Bottom