• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mayweather-Pacquiao set for March 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirty

Banned
http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_y...cB?slug=ki-floydpac120109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

pacquiao-vs-mayweather.jpg

The much-anticipated bout between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao is all but set for March 13, a source told Yahoo! Sports.

Mayweather has agreed to terms and promoter Bob Arum is making a trip to Manila, Philippines, to finalize a deal with Pacquiao, the source said.

More From Kevin Iole
Mailbag: Pacquiao gets snubbed Dec 1, 2009
Funeka the latest victim of boxing robbery Nov 30, 2009
Las Vegas, Dallas and New Orleans are the front-runners to host the bout, which is expected to become the highest-grossing boxing match in the sport’s history.

Pacquiao is the top pound-for-pound fighter in nearly every major ranking, including Yahoo! Sports. Mayweather is No. 2 in most rankings and was No. 1 in nearly all of the polls before he briefly retired in June 2008.

Pacquiao is coming off a 12th-round stoppage of Miguel Cotto on Nov. 14 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, a bout in which he won the World Boxing Organization welterweight championship and erased fears that he is not a legitimate welterweight.

Cotto was a legitimate welterweight in his prime and Pacquiao dominated, knocking him down twice and cruising to the one-sided victory.

Mayweather routed Juan Manuel Marquez, who had previously been ranked No. 2 in the Yahoo! Sports poll, in a Sept. 19 fight at the MGM Grand.

The public demand for the fight has been enormous, putting pressure on Arum and Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, who represents Mayweather, to get a deal done.

Promoters had targeted May 1 for the fight almost from the moment that Pacquiao stopped Cotto. But Pacquiao filed Tuesday to run for Congress in the Philippines and the election will be held on May 10.

Given that, the bout with Mayweather had to be moved up to March 13 or pushed back until September.

Though there were reports that Arum was considering matching Pacquiao with new WBO super welterweight champion Yuri Foreman on March 13 in Dallas, that was a diversionary move and was never serious, the source said.

A survey team from Top Rank will inspect Dallas Cowboys Stadium as a possible venue. The MGM Grand Garden Arena and the New Orleans Superdome are also in the running to host the mega-fight, the source said.
considering this will be the so called "biggest" fight in history revenue wise, i thought it should have it's own thread.

EDIT: espn reporting that it's nearly official as well

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Either Mayweather grew balls or he's going to pull out of the fight. But yeah, no way he's gonna take that risk. But if he does, then he's getting full praise from me.

thirty

Banned
don't u guys read? it can't be in may cuz manny is running for emperor of the philipines so it's gonna be in march.

Darkman M

thirty said:
don't u guys read? it can't be in may cuz manny is running for emperor of the philipines so it's gonna be in march.

They can do it in September though right? I would love for this fight to take place in March, but wouldn't be surprised to see it pushed back till September or so.

at the very least i can see my entire family getting together with everyone bringing some filipino food...should be a delicious fight :D

thirty

Banned
Darkman M said:
They can do it in September though right? I would love for this fight to take place in March, but wouldn't be surprised to see it pushed back till September or so.
september will be the mayweather/pacquiao II fight after the first fight ends in a controversial split decision. each fighter will make more than 50 million each on that second fight. really, why should these two fight anyone else when there's so much money to be made fighting each other?

Finally a boxing PPV I'll pay for! It's been years since I bought a fight. I used to buy 2-3 a year.

But yeah I'm also pessimistic this fight will actually come to fruition.

thirty

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
As much as I love Vegas I think it'd be cool to have this at Cowboy Stadium.
same thoughts here. new orleans or dallas, i don't care, i just wanna see the spectacle of a super fight in an arena. how long has it been since boxing had a super fight in an arena, anyone know?

God the spectacle of 100,000 people stuffed into Cowboys stadium would be epic.I hope that is where they decide to have the fight

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Hell yes. I was not expecting it to be this soon. Good God I'll be counting down the days.

If it's in Vegas I'll possibly try to go.

I'm sorry but nothing in the UFC or MMA can compare to an epic boxing match. Boxing is the true form of fighting.

Chris R

thenight11 said:
God the spectacle of 100,000 people stuffed into Cowboys stadium would be epic.I hope that is where they decide to have the fight
Easily could be much more than that. Depends on how the whole thing is setup as a boxing ring is just a tiny bit smaller than a football field + sidelines.

kIdMuScLe

wtf? having a bout every 4 months was pretty much the norm back in the days.... fuck this pussy shit that is too early and that it should be pushed back till september. mayweather has been resting since JULY!!!!

mr stroke

Ninja Scooter said:
As much as I love Vegas I think it'd be cool to have this at Cowboy Stadium.

what shitty nose bleed seats those would be, how would you see anything out side of the bottom lower level?

thirty said:
same thoughts here. new orleans or dallas, i don't care, i just wanna see the spectacle of a super fight in an arena. how long has it been since boxing had a super fight in an arena, anyone know?

? Tyson/Douglas at the Tokyo Dome? Chavez fought at Estadio Azteca in Mexico in like 92 or something against Greg Haugen.

mr stroke said:
what shitty nose bleed seats those would be, how would you see anything out side of the bottom lower level?

Oh I have no intention of going in person so I don't care. I just think it'd make for great atmosphere to have 100K+ people packed in to see a fight.

Well Mayweather just fought in September against Marquez so he hasn't been resting.

March is a good enough time for Pacquiao to recover and begin training. However May 1st would be absolutely more epic. The cinco de mayo weekend has become the biggest boxing weekend the past couple years. I expected they would announce the fight early next year, ang give ample time to hype up the fight. March is a little bit soon to get the full marketing train going I think, but with a fight of this magnitude, it should be enough.

It certainly feels soon, but any time this fight is ready, I'm ready for it!

EDIT: I also just noticed that Bernard Hopkins vs Roy Jones Jr is schedules for March 13. If that fight does happen, how fucking awsome would it be if it was the undercard for Pacquiao/Mayweather? I have never seen a boxing fight in my life with an actually GOOD undercard. This would rival what UFC does with it's cards where you get usually 4 or 5 really good fights. Especially with UFC 100 where we had 2 megaton fights with GSP vs Thiago Alves and Lesnar vs Mir. I know this will probably not happen, but in reality, Jones vs Hopkins wouldn't even be on PPV anyways. It would make the event that much bigger.

thirty

Banned
not enough time to market the fight? you guys are nuts. there's so much hype for this fight that i seriously think if the fight is close, the hype will rollover into a second fight in 2010. there's just too much money to be made by everyone.

VindicatorZ said:
However May 1st would be absolutely more epic. The cinco de mayo weekend has become the biggest boxing weekend the past couple years. I expected they would announce the fight early next year, ang give ample time to hype up the fight. March is a little bit soon to get the full marketing train going I think, but with a fight of this magnitude, it should be enough.

Early may would be bad since I am getting married overseas and I'd end up missing the fight :(

Even though it sounds like BS, I'm all for it!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
GO PAC MAN!
Paquiao clapclap clapclapclap!

Vyer

mr stroke said:
I would think the GodScreen would take care of that problem.

Tom_Cody

I've seen countless fights fall through once they've gotten to this stage. It's not on until it's official.

Also, someone please make a real official thread once it's announced. Like gaming-age style.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
mr stroke said:

Have you seen the TVs in Cowboys stadium?

alg_manning.jpg

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
mr stroke said:

Yeah you've apparently not seen the TV's in that stadium....

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I thought Mayweather was too busy making bullshit accusations to actually grow a big enough pair to go into a fight that could very easily result in his first loss.

DarienA said:
Yeah you've apparently not seen the TV's in that stadium....
They should do it @ the staples center, you can actually see the fight from the nosebleeds there. Why would people pay so much money just to watch it on a tv when they can do that from the comfort of their own homes?

KingGondo

Banned
polyh3dron said:
They should do it @ the staples center, you can actually see the fight from the nosebleeds there. Why would people pay so much money just to watch it on a tv when they can do that from the comfort of their own homes?
To say they were there, at one of the biggest boxing matches ever. I've wanted to see the stadium anyway--if I can't get NBA All-Star tickets, Mayweather-Pacquiao would be awesome.

ragingadamo

Neo Member
polyh3dron said:

It is also the atmosphere of being there.

I cannot wait for this fight!!!!! I haven't picked a winner yet, every time I doubt Manny I end up eating crow so this time I am going to remain neutral. (even though I REALLY hope Manny knocks him out) :D

Vyer

polyh3dron said:
That's like saying 'why go to a sporting event at all?'

one of the biggest fights in a long time, great atmosphere, and the (as much as I don't care for the Cowboys) biggest, newest stadium in the country? It would be a blast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom