• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonald's Manager doesn't know how to read (or is it me?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Thursday's my kids get off school at different times, so I picked my son up and had an hour to kill before picking my daughter up from her after school club. We hit the grocery got some groceries, still had time to spare. Daughter loves McD's fries and son was thirsty and hey there's a McDonald's just down from her school. I pull up to the drive-thru and scope the menu, there's a McPick 2... I hadn't eaten since breakfast and thought hell I'll just do that.. the menu says 2 for 3, and super imposed says make it a meal for $4.20 with a med fry and med drink. I ask for a McGriddle Chicken and the Spicy Chicken and a coke and fry for the $4.20.

Guy tells me, there's no way to ring that up. I tell him what the menu says, and he says are you sure. I tell him again what the sign says, he pauses for like 30 seconds and says I don't know how to ring this up so I can't do it. I tell him again, the menu says pick 2 and make it a meal for $4.20.. that's what I want... he says he doesn't know how to ring it up so he can't.. and tells me he'll get a manager but he can't do it. I say OK, get a manager. I wait about a minute at the drive-thru and he tells me to pull up... the lady behind me is already honking at me because it's taking so long. I get to the window and the manager is there. I tell her what her menu says again, she tells me I'm wrong and that it's for 1 choice and then the meal. I ask her how much a Double Cheeseburger costs, she says "$1.60" (menu says $1.45) and I ask her how much any size drink costs, which is $1. So I say the medium fry bundled is $1.60 then? She says, yes. I ask her again, can you just look at the sign? She says I'll look at it later after you leave, and it's $4.90 for a meal with any choice.. I said I thought you said it's $4.20.... do you have any clue what your sign says? She says she doesn't.. but it won't ring up that way so it can't be what I say it says. She tells me I'm holding up the line so I go park.

I walk up to the sign and take a picture, and she came out... she looks at says see it's for 1. I said where does it imply that, she says it doesn't say 2. There's a girl in her car at the drive-thru and she put her window down so I look at her and ask.. hey what's this sign say.. she says you get 2 + frys and drink for $4.20. Manager walks off... and girl starts laughing in her car.

I'm not even a guy to usually complain about stupid fast food prices, but this lady flat out refused to honor the price and lied about the price of one of the burger.. I asked her before who owned the location, she said corporate... I asked if it was a franchise and she said no. So I called corporate as we waited for my daughter to get out of her after-school class... and they told me.. hey it's a franchise!

SO GAF.. am I wrong?

mcscamburgersqvzxj.png

Also, check the price of the Double Cheeseburger and biscuit and do the math.

TLDR - Manager tells me sign implies 1 choice of sandwich to make a meal, I tell her it implies 2.. she tells me I'm wrong and tells me to leave.

Man you guys still have the spicy McChicken. They discontinued that glorious burger here and I've stopped going to McDs.

Also damn is the Manager dumb along with the Cashier.

norm9

I'm gonna see if my local McD's has a Chicken McGriddle tomorrow.

ETA- It's no longer a deal if it's only one item.

As someone who once worked at a McDs, I can see why the cashier had trouble ringing it up correctly, just due to how meals get bundled using the POS system. The manager though, he's a piece of work. I would complain.

You are in the right OP, but you are also an asshole for taking so much time at the drive-thru.

Yeah if you have issues with your order you should go inside. Drive thrus are for speedy service. Not ordering the whole damn menu.

I would like a rule to limit the amount you can order at the drive thrus so that people would order inside but thats unfair to families ordering and people on road trips.

NervousXtian

You were certainly correct OP. But do that stuff inside not in the drive thru.

Wasn't planning on it... honestly thought the dude taking the order was just an idiot and the manager would clear it up.. so I didn't even talk to the manager until at the pay window. Dude had me wait a few minutes, probably 3 or 4 honestly at the order box before telling me to pull up... and 90% of that time was because he went silent. I asked her if she wanted me to go park and she said no.

He asked me to pull to the window, not come inside or I would have.

Wait. Where in the country can I get chicken McGriddles. And on a 2 for $3 deal?!

Apparently Gresham, OR... or apparently not since I never did get one.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
OP, you are correct in what the sign "literally" says, but they probably meant that you can choose any ONE of those items and add the drink/fry for 4.20. It's totally their fault though and they should've just accepted the L and rang you up for both items and the drink/fry for 4.20. The manager was being a dumbass.

Sanjuro

I remember when they had the chicken sausage for the breakfast sandwiches. On two occasions I needed to go through 2-3 people to convince them it was an option and I didn't just want a McChicken patty on my breakfast sandwich.

He was just trying to order a combo meal...

Its not a slight against him and I didn't mean him anyways lol. Its for that one person who order 3 Big Macs, 2 Milk shakes, a Hash brown, 2 sundays, a large fry, a large drink and a random $1 menu burger (probably a McChicken) that totals around $18.44......

Yeah those people are the annoying ones that really should have just ordered inside since they will be forced to wait anyways in the yellow lane or the side parking if the location has them.

I think it's just a general menu for the four items, where you can upgrade them to a meal. That's standard.

Then there's an extra promo where you can buy 2 for $3.

It's badly designed though. But that's no excuse to make a big deal out of it and hold up the people behind you.

Edit: Actually looking at the prices on the bottom, that'd be a really bad deal. You'd be paying more for the fries and drink than the burger. It's stupid cheap regardless though.

Looks pretty clear to me that it's one item, fries and a drink for about $4, which is what any of the "lesser" sandwich combos would come out at. Should be clarified on the menu, but you're already getting a little discount on the 2 for $3, a double discount shouldn't really be expected.

Rival

Gold Member
Wasn't planning on it... honestly thought the dude taking the order was just an idiot and the manager would clear it up.. so I didn't even talk to the manager until at the pay window. Dude had me wait a few minutes, probably 3 or 4 honestly at the order box before telling me to pull up... and 90% of that time was because he went silent. I asked her if she wanted me to go park and she said no.

He asked me to pull to the window, not come inside or I would have.

I'm just giving you a hard time. Haha

Rootbeer

Banned
This sort of thing happens to me a lot at McDonald's. They don't honor their own promotions even if it's right on the menu in front of you. They feed you some story about how it won't work in the system they are placing the order on. They should have a way to override it. Customer service has fallen a long way.

Eusis

Ok, now that I think about it... Could they have been adding tax to those prices? Because sometimes when I go to order something and ask the price they give the final cost (item + tax) rather than just the item's cost. Though there's still the issue of swearing it's just one sandwich rather than two.

Beach

Ok, now that I think about it... Could they have been adding tax to those prices? Because sometimes when I go to order something and ask the price they give the final cost (item + tax) rather than just the item's cost. Though there's still the issue of swearing it's just one sandwich rather than two.
I don't think Oregon has a sales tax

NervousXtian

Sorry your wrong. Look at the calories of the meal, no way that is 2 sandwiches fries and a drink.

Bad design.

Med Fry is 340 calories, item with least calories is 370 from the 4 choices. So your logic doesn't work.... the min there is the calories of a fry, the higher is with the highest calorie count soft-drink in a med. size... which a Coke is.. get this 220 calories.. which ta da get's you to 560.. the max.

Math wins.

Looks pretty clear to me that it's one item, fries and a drink for about $4, which is what any of the "lesser" sandwich combos would come out at. Should be clarified on the menu, but you're already getting a little discount on the 2 for $3, a double discount shouldn't really be expected.

Actually, you are losing money on 2 of the items by getting the "deal".

I don't think Oregon has a sales tax

We don't.. just high income taxes.

toohectic

Sorry your wrong. Look at the calories of the meal, no way that is 2 sandwiches fries and a drink.

Bad design.

The calories listed next to the meal are for the calorie content of the fries and drink only; the calorie content of the lowest single primary-item exceed the minimum calories listed next to the meal.

Korey

It's not "bad design", it's false advertising.

There's no way to interpret that sign other than 2 + fries and drink.

The only way people are figuring it out that it's referring to 1 item is by doing the math with the bottom half.

MazeHaze

Banned
That sign is def misleading, but as someone who works in food, I can tell you this shit happens all the time. The reality is that the computer is set up a certain way and often you can't override it.

As an example, we recently had our coupon mailers go out, and one of them was a pizza and breadsticks for 10 bucks, problem is it was supposed to say a large 2 topping but it accidentally said 2 larges. The coupon code for that in our system showed what it should be (large 2 topping w bread), and there was literally no way for me to ring up 2 large pizzas with breadsticks for 10 bucks. These advertisements are outsourced, and sometimes there are weird typos. We got menus in once that advertised Dr. pepper as a 2 liter choice, which we don't even carry.

Call corporate and explain yourself calmly, they'll get you right, prob give you a fat gift card.

Edit, I see you did call corporate. I dunno then, sign is poorly worded, but is it really worth getting so upset at somebody who makes 9 bucks an hour over a 1.50 pricing error? I'd say just forget about it amd move on tbh

Actually, you are losing money on 2 of the items by getting the "deal".

Some deals are like that, and it's buyer beware. You buy one or two of the $2 items to get the best value. It doesn't change the fact that the meal deal is for one of those items.

To make the point even more clear, look up how much the 2 cheeseburgers meal is near you. I bet it's right about the same price as the $4.20 price and you aren't going to get the same thing for the same price but with doubles instead of singles.

You are in the right OP, but you are also an asshole for taking so much time at the drive-thru.

This. Proper etiquette with an order dispute is to take it inside and discuss it with the manager or managerial staff. Other people are behind you or could be behind you bruh.

Tigress

Looking at the sign I think you are wrong but I could see where it is misleading (it's bad design, I mean look at how many people in this thread are reading it different ways). I happily work at a place that allows us flexibility to just go ahead and honor it of we can see how the customer came to that conclusion (and usually we'll pull those signs).

Also OP, were you nice about all this, or were you being condescending and irate? Because when people are being cool, I have no probl going out of my way to hook them up, but when they come at me like a dick, talk down to me, I just say sorry there's nothing I can do.

Also this. I'm more likely to just say that's the deal if the customer is being an ass about it.

MazeHaze

Banned
Also OP, were you nice about all this, or were you being condescending and irate? Because when people are being cool, I have no probl going out of my way to hook them up, but when they come at me like a dick, talk down to me, I just say sorry there's nothing I can do.

Maximus.

Yeah if you have issues with your order you should go inside. Drive thrus are for speedy service. Not ordering the whole damn menu.

I would like a rule to limit the amount you can order at the drive thrus so that people would order inside but thats unfair to families ordering and people on road trips.

OP didn't do anything wrong. Staff and management were just plain stupid.

Flo_Evans

His "wrong" what?

and, those are actually the calories of both fries and cola.

Beaten

Regardless, it's $4.20 for one sandwich, fries and a drink.

The deal is pick 2 sandwiches for $3 or the combo for $4.20.

It's poorly designed and confusing but the manager cleared it up for him.

toohectic

Some deals are like that, and it's buyer beware. You buy one or two of the $2 items to get the best value. It doesn't change the fact that the meal deal is for one of those items.

To make the point even more clear, look up how much the 2 cheeseburgers meal is near you. I bet it's right about the same price as the $4.20 price and you aren't going to get the same thing for the same price but with doubles instead of singles.

Rubio's has a taco pack that is something like 'any 6 tacos for $25' and includes one drink as well. The deal only makes sense financially if you buy 6 of their specialty shrimp tacos which are >$4 ala carte. If you mix in just one of any other style taco, the deal starts to turn into a loss. Either this deal was created for a more expensive market region, or more likely they bank on people assuming its a deal without question.

NervousXtian

No, that's actually illegal. It's not the same as grocery store that put's a size of say Vegetable Oil on sale that makes the smaller bottle cheaper per oz than the larger bottle. Those are technically different products

They can't charge you $3 for 2 items listed at $1.40. You can charge me more if I don't buy in bulk, but you can't charge me more for buying more than 1. That's fraud.

Also, who cares what a 2 cheeseburger meal costs. A 2 cheeseburger meal isn't on advertisement, this deal is. It's not equivalent at all.

gblues

Banned
It's literally called "McPick 2" with a price of $3, and the sign advertises the meal upgrade as $4.12. That's a natural reading of the sign, there's no "implies" about it.

If the meal upgrade was supposed to only apply to a single item, there would be clear language to that effect (not fine print) like "... or pick 1 and make it a meal."

Complain to corporate.

Tagyhag

No you were totally right. The Mcpick 2 is just that, you choose 2.

Why else would it say mix and match? And the value menu makes no mention of 1 item.

Look at the bright side, now your kids don't have to have trash tier fast food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom