• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonald's Manager doesn't know how to read (or is it me?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ty_hot

amazed at how many people are saying that you are wrong because its a fast food and you have to be fast. lol. McDonalds is the one wrong that put people to work that doesnt understand their own discounts, they are the reason it happened. I usually dont fight for a few cents but I wouldnt say you are wrong for doing so ever.

2 sandwiches for 3 bucks plus 4.20 so 7.20 for two sandwiches, fries, and a drink.

This is another interpretation possible from the ad, but it ofc doesnt make sense as a promotion... but at least it makes sense from the ad. Guys saying that its should be for one sandwich are crazy (it doesnt make sense from the ad and it doesnt make sense as a promotion for the 2 cheapest itens).

The ad is clearly about the McPick2 not about any of thos individual sandwiches.

Dipper145

All this does is remind me of how crazy cheap mcdonalds is in the states compared to canada. It's like 10$ for a combo up here.

I'd be a big boy if I lived in the land of the free.

I also tried their new holiday burger and it was pretty damn good. Essentially a qp w/ cheese and bacon with a different sauce and a hashbrown on it, and better bun.. but still damn tasty.

And obviously, you were correct in the 2 burgers = 3$ advertisement. I thought a possible mistake could be the upgrade to a meal being an additional $4.20, but then I realized those prices would be crazy for even Canada.

Stasis

No offense, I mean you guys do you... I'm just amazed ppl actually call McDonald's corporate to complain for shit like this. A few bucks on a potentially confusing sign.

And are then proud of getting free or discounted stuff. I find it fascinating, truly.

I feel like you're the ppl who count the shrimp/scallops whatever in your dish at a decent restaurant. Or wanna weigh the steak.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
No offense, I mean you guys do you... I'm just amazed ppl actually call McDonald's corporate to complain for shit like this. A few bucks on a potentially confusing sign.

And are then proud of getting free or discounted stuff. I find it fascinating, truly.

I feel like you're the ppl who count the shrimp/scallops whatever in your dish at a decent restaurant. Or wanna weigh the steak.

Huh? He absolutely should complain about that shittily run store. Corporate wants their stores to be at a certain level of service, and his local Mickey Dees ain't getting any better if he lets this nonsense slide.

He's not misinterpreting the sign. Of course you can ring up a McPick 2 as a meal. C'mon man.

Dear corporate America, more robots and fewer humans at fast food please.

notsol337

marked forever
If it helps, I'll give you a little insight into how the registers at McDonald's work.

They'd key in your 2 for 3, and then press the button for a medium drink and a medium fries.

If you look at their particular menu for the individual items, I bet the cost of a medium drink and a medium fries is 4.20.

McDonald's makes the worst signs, too. I work in support for the company that does the menu boards above the counters inside the restaurants, and we get calls somewhat frequently asking us to change the language on the promos because they're set up poorly.

It's a stupid combo in which you can combine items of different prices for $3.
Unsurprisingly you asked for the 2 items that cost more than $1.50.

Now the "full meal" option is clearly for a single sandwich, but again they combine sandwiches of different values.

They should just itemize the fries and drink for $2.20 with any sandwich instead of trying to make an extra 50 cents off those who orders the cheaper sandwich.

Bottom line, you should have been able to get your order for $5.20.

I never eat in my car. That's totally gross.
In a case like this, instead of arguing I'd take the 2 sandwiches and a glass of water.

Katori

That's a very weird McPick 2.

We don't have chicken McGriddles or the hot n spicy McChicken down south (anymore). The McPick 2 is usually McDouble, McChicken, Chicken Nuggets and fries. Meh, liked it better when Mozz Sticks were an option.

But anyway yeah that's weird. Most of the time when I try to do things they don't understand they just give it to me anyway, very strange to argue about an extra $1-$2 when the sign clearly says that.

Zakalwe

Banned
if you could get two items from this menu then choose 2x cheese burgers and make it into an extra value meal you're paying 4.20 for the EXACT same thing. based on this it makes sense that its only one item from those choices.

No.

Because it's a /promotion/.

It's 2 burgers + upgrade for 4.20. Anyone saying otherwise is wrong.

It's just not a very good sign. They shouldn't be mixing two offers on a single sign (McPick2 and meal upgrade for 1).

They're not. It's upgrade the 2 burgers you choose to a meal.

It's baffling how people are getting this wrong...

Now the "full meal" option is clearly for a single sandwich,

Jesus...

Can someone else go to a McDonalds with this sign and try the same deal so we get to the bottom of this.

Someone in the thread (first page, 100 ppp) already said they get this same deal at their local McDonalds no problem, unless I misread that post.

I'm not sure how anyone can look at that and think it's referring to 1 sandwich. If that's the case they fucked up by not only putting the upgrade offer in the mcpick 2 section and then referring to "upgrade it" ("it" being mcpick deal), but there's absolutely nothing to indicate you only get one sandwich if you choose the upgrade as well. Next lady in line even confirmed that's how it reads to the manager lol. People can argue it's "too good a deal!" but it looks like that's exactly what they're offering. I'd say it's worth a call just to get misleading signage changed, and hopefully have people check how things actually read to consumers from now on. Could also save that location some headaches.

Lothars

He's got just as many if not more people saying he's right though? And I agree, if they mean 1 item and upgrade to a meal it needs to be spelled out clearly, because to me it reads out as you get the mcpick deal + an upgrade. At the very least they need to correct the signage.
Exactly, The signage specifically spells out the mcpick deal + fries and a drink for 4.20. That's the deal, if it's wrong than the sign needs to be corrected.

Throw me in as a vote that the sign implies 2 sandwiches, fries, and a drink for $4.20.
Me to

I think the manager meant for the second pick to be the meal deal but that doesn't really parse out when you read the sign.
Which is the issue. They shouldn't have the sign like that. I really don't know how anyone can interrupt it as one sandwich with fries and a drink for 4.20. It's not what the sign shows.

To me, sign clearly says 2 with combo for 4.20. Instead of saying 4.20, they should do what other chains do and say "for 1.20 more".

Also, fuck now I have to get to a McDonald's and see if they have a chicken mcgriddle.

Calamari41

41 > 38
The sign is kind of misleading, but sometimes its worth a buck or two to just end a situation like that. It's ok with me, The Big Corporation can win if it means I get to continue on with my life and not spend valuable breathing time arguing with a McDonald's manager.

Tigress

Someone in the thread (first page, 100 ppp) already said they get this same deal at their local McDonalds no problem, unless I misread that post.

I'm not sure how anyone can look at that and think it's referring to 1 sandwich. If that's the case they fucked up by not only putting the upgrade offer in the mcpick 2 section and then referring to "upgrade it" ("it" being mcpick deal), but there's absolutely nothing to indicate you only get one sandwich if you choose the upgrade as well. Next lady in line even confirmed that's how it reads to the manager lol. People can argue it's "too good a deal!" but it looks like that's exactly what they're offering. I'd say it's worth a call just to get misleading signage changed, and hopefully have people check how things actually read to consumers from now on. Could also save that location some headaches.

The only person who said they did the same deal the manager and employee also had issues with the computer redeeming it so asked him order something else and gave him coupons. That says to me that the deal isn't supposed to be that you get two full meals for 4.20 but that the sign is badly written. whats frustrating for the employees though is that the company makes them put up the shifty sign, and if some one calls corporate complaining about them actually enforcing it, corporate will blame them for the problem.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
funny-bar-sign_01.jpg

OP was right, of course.

The only person who said they did the same deal the manager and employee also had issues with the computer redeeming it so asked him order something else and gave him coupons. That says to me that the deal isn't supposed to be that you get two full meals for 4.20 but that the sign is badly written. whats frustrating for the employees though is that the company makes them put up the shifty sign, and if some one calls corporate complaining about them actually enforcing it, corporate will blame them for the problem.

That's a load of bullshit then. So you can't get the posted deal, at least not without jumping through hoops with the help of more lenient locations, but calling corporate to tell them to check their signage gets the store in trouble for no reason? Sorry but at some point corporate needs to check their sign if it causes that much confusion.

Yeah if you have issues with your order you should go inside. Drive thrus are for speedy service. Not ordering the whole damn menu.

I always thought it was just for people too lazy to get out of their car. Maybe it's a regional thing but I've never noticed a drive thru to be consistently faster than just going inside.

The whole sign is unclear and very badly designed, but for what it's worth I would have interpreted the same thing you did from it.

Pick 2 items for $3. Make it a meal (add fries and drink) for $4.20. seems pretty clear to me.

OP did the right thing. The manager lied multiple times.

These prices are so cheap lol.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
2 sandwiches for 3 bucks plus 4.20 so 7.20 for two sandwiches, fries, and a drink.

Any size drink is $1 here, so that'd be $3.20 for a med fry.

I had nothing better to do, was stuck in my car waiting until the time to pick my daughter up.

OP is right, but a combo meal ain't the hill I'm gonna die on. I'm with him in spirit though.

I get it's kinda petty, but even a small fight for consumer rights should be had.

If it helps, I'll give you a little insight into how the registers at McDonald's work.

They'd key in your 2 for 3, and then press the button for a medium drink and a medium fries.

If you look at their particular menu for the individual items, I bet the cost of a medium drink and a medium fries is 4.20.

McDonald's makes the worst signs, too. I work in support for the company that does the menu boards above the counters inside the restaurants, and we get calls somewhat frequently asking us to change the language on the promos because they're set up poorly.

No, a med drink and fry at MOST buying ala carte would have been $3 and some change.

This is bullshit. Down here in Corvallis, Oregon, we don't get the Chicken McGriddle or the Hot 'N' Spicy McChicken.

I'd never seen it before either up here. I got my daughter fries at a different location a few days before and they didn't have 'em.

So we should ignore any misdeed because someone has a shitty job? I mean hell, 10 mins before this happened I was at Fred Meyer buying groceries and grabbed a loaf of Franz bread that was on sale for $1.99. The cashier double-rang it and said oops, went to delete the 2nd one and I noticed it rang for $3.49. I said I swear it's a $1.99, but maybe it was an old tag... she price corrected it, laughed and we moved on. The bread aisle at the Gresham store is up front, I even ran over to make sure I wasn't wrong and she told me not to bother, but I still did.. confirmed the tag and she said thanks for looking, but you didn't have too.

That's how customer service should work.

ReAxion

a chicken mcgriddle sounds heinous.

i dont even think the manager can re-program the tills if something is ringing up wrong. it's probably the franchise owner's fault. call corporate i guess.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how is *anyone* reading that sign as 'buy one and add fries and a drink for $4.20'? I can't see any way to interpret it that way - even as someone that likes to be contrary sometimes. Its not even slightly ambiguous

Tom Nook

Pick 2 items for $3. Make it a meal (add fries and drink) for $4.20. seems pretty clear to me.

OP did the right thing. The manager lied multiple times.

These prices are so cheap lol.

This.

That's how I interpreted the sign too, OP.

For $4.20 you get two sandwiches, fries, and drink.

I always thought it was just for people too lazy to get out of their car. Maybe it's a regional thing but I've never noticed a drive thru to be consistently faster than just going inside.

Think about it. Going to a window to get your food where they have to get your food to you so they can move on to the next person/car.

If you order 5+ items you are gonna hold up the drive thru since it will take a while to make all your items. Its much faster than going inside and waiting where you are less of a priority than the drive thru customers. Inside customers who are gonna sit down and eat or have time to kill while waiting for food to take home.

Acerac

Banned
It's not the exact same thing.

The $4.79 meal is 2 single cheeseburgers.

The 2 for $3 is for double cheeseburgers.

You are not going to get 2 doubles fries and a drink for less than the singles.

Oh yeah with how much it costs them to make drinks they couldn't possibly afford that.

The sign is misleading, you were in the right to complain OP.

I have. The workers are encouraged to get drive through people done significantly faster I've noticed. I assume because it's more detrimental to have cars piling up than people.

norm9

Da fuck is this?

It's a joke written by a bartender or server at a bar to get you to chuckle.

I have. The workers are encouraged to get drive through people done significantly faster I've noticed. I assume because it's more detrimental to have cars piling up than people.

Drive thrus have timers. They do at Wendy's at least. You're supposed to get them through the line in like three minutes, which is impossible, which is why they tell you to go park away from the line sometimes when it's busy so that the sensor thinks you've been served and they don't get dinged by corporate.

notsol337

marked forever
a chicken mcgriddle sounds heinous.

i dont even think the manager can re-program the tills if something is ringing up wrong. it's probably the franchise owner's fault. call corporate i guess.

This is accurate. An Area Supervisor, O/O, or System Admin for the franchise would have to update it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom