• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior Online - News and Information Thread

Lime

From what I can tell: Endo-steel, double heat sinks, and ferro-fibrous armor are now available.

Cicada is available as well.

Lots of other stuff as well and we get to keep 75 % of our earned C-bills. Pretty sweet so far.

Orayn

Looks like they slashed prices on most 'Mechs as well. I'd play tonight, but my desktop is currently without a power supply and there's no way my laptop will get along with CryEngine 3.

From what I can tell: Endo-steel, double heat sinks, and ferro-fibrous armor are now available.

Cicada is available as well.

Lots of other stuff as well and we get to keep 75 % of our earned C-bills. Pretty sweet so far.

I may be hallucinating but the performance has been stepped up slightly. While I only played a few matches, I no longer noticed the frame issues I was having since the initial new lighting pass.

Also, I'm going to have to run through skunkwerks or something, but some quick mental math puts their Endo/FF slot usage slightly low. I did a test build or two and I had more crit slots available than anticipated. The C-bill cost for the whole thing is pretty high right now, but I'm not certain if it's high enough. I didn't get shot enough to determine if repair costs are prohibitive or not.

Victrix

*beard*
The weapon grouping is a trainwreck. It needs to be split up by default into some sane groups, and have a very clear UI for changing it.

In general I feel this game is oddly too complex for how, well, simple it plays. Contrast with World of Tanks, which has its complexity in the interaction of shell type and angle and armor, and yet it plays as simply as any bog standard fps.

"The weapon grouping is a trainwreck. It needs to be split up by default into some sane groups, and have a very clear UI for changing it."

I did not know weapon grouping was even an issue for people.

Orayn

Yeah, same here. Chain fire is still a little wonky, and there really should be a group editor in the MechLab, but otherwise I don't see what's wrong with it. Unless something has changed for the worse with this patch?

Lime

"The weapon grouping is a trainwreck. It needs to be split up by default into some sane groups, and have a very clear UI for changing it."

I did not know weapon grouping was even an issue for people.

Yeah, same here. Chain fire is still a little wonky, and there really should be a group editor in the MechLab, but otherwise I don't see what's wrong with it. Unless something has changed for the worse with this patch?

It's mostly that new people are unaware of the grouping. I've seen so many newbies running around with all their weapons in group 1 and as a result constantly overheating. This makes the experience frustrating to them and might turn them off the whole game.

Lime

Man, that darkening effect for your vision is incredibly obnoxious. It's like I'm walking around in complete darkness.

If you think weapon grouping is hard, go and give double heatsinks, ferro fibrous and endo steel a try.

It's quite annoying that you have to pay to switch between upgrades. It makes balancing difficult, because I have to pay before I get the chance to see what critical and weapon tonnage I can balance my build with.

Re: Weapon grouping. It's still not intuitive, and there absolutely should be a weapon group interface in the lab. Having to swap it at the start of a match on each new build is aggrivating, and sometimes not that easy to remember to do if you're also trying to tell your idiot teammates to play smart.

If you think weapon grouping is hard, go and give double heatsinks, ferro fibrous and endo steel a try.

They really, REALLY, need a way to edit and layout your crit slot allocation to these systems instead of this auto fill stuff. In my current layout, the auto fill looks very confusing as one arm contains many of the empty slots and one is filled with structurals. I realize if I threw something else on the arm it'd shift them all voer but it's not ideal and it's confusing as hell. I imagine if you have no idea what the fuck a critical slot even is you'll be totally lost.

I'm uncertain if DHS is broken right now. I haven't played enough to see if they are actually cooling the same as two regular sinks. People on the beta forums seem to think they might be broken, and I'm slightly inclined to agree, but I need to test more to confirm.

Man, that darkening effect for your vision is incredibly obnoxious. It's like I'm walking around in complete darkness.

This. I like the idea but it needs to be shorter duration and less pronounced. Blinding a pilot with a laser to the face is a neat tactical idea.

I concur. It feels like they do nothing compared to the normal heatsinks.

It's quite annoying that you have to pay to switch between upgrades. It makes balancing difficult, because I have to pay before I get the chance to see what critical and weapon tonnage I can balance my build with.

I just blew through 18 million points buying one extra mech and getting it and the founder mech up te scratch. Most of the money went to the newest upgrades and I'm kinda sorry for some of my decisions. Having to pay a lot to undo expensive mistakes is no fun.

Apparently they intend to launch open beta on Monday. Is it ready yet? What do you think? I haven't played for some time.

It's better than last launch attempt, but still it feels too soon. The main issue really is the founders don't want to waste their founder period rewards yet. Most rather have a more complete game to use them on. If they would give us the option of when we activate our founders time, then it wouldn't be that bad really.

Lime

Apparently they intend to launch open beta on Monday. Is it ready yet? What do you think? I haven't played for some time.

It's still too dense for newcomers. And there is only one match type with the same amount of players with little to no matchmaking. The game is not particularly forthcoming to newbies.

It's better than last launch attempt, but still it feels too soon. The main issue really is the founders don't want to waste their founder period rewards yet. Most rather have a more complete game to use them on. If they would give us the option of when we activate our founders time, then it wouldn't be that bad really.

They have said that an option to activate the Premium time would be available.

epmode

Ah, and one more thing – we’re adding the Premium Account Button for Founders purchasers. What does it do? Shortly after Open Beta hits, Founders purchasers’ premium time will be reset once more and a button will be added. If they press this button, their time will begin. This will be a one-time deal, so use it wisely!

That's great to hear. Don't mind too much then.

They still shouldn't try marketing or putting too much emphasis on the game once it hits open beta though, they really need to work on it more before they try to draw in the masses

Lime

Russ Bollocks on how what we can expect from Open Beta (on Monday apparently?)

http://mwomercs.com/news/2012/10/490-russ-bullock-on-open-beta

Hey Everyone

I would like to address this to the core community of MechWarrior Online. You guys are absolutely the most loyal community in all of gaming, intense! But far and away the most loyal. To explain what I mean by loyal let me start out with a huge thanks to all of our Founders. The program was quite obviously a huge success, in fact at 5.2 Million it has set a new high bar for these types of programs. That is a huge statement to just how amazing the MechWarrior franchise and it’s unique and exciting play mechanics are, and now a whole new generation of gamers are about to learn that. These founders have made it possible for us to make the game better and to make better choices these past 4 months, with each of those choices leading to a better overall product.

Since we have just today announced Open Beta for Monday October 29th, I wanted to address that with the community. During this past year we have learned an incredible amount when it comes to listening and managing a community. Over the course of that year we have listened, learned and then reacted to many topics that have come up. One topic that has always been a major point of conversation is the topic of Open Beta and when the product would be ready for it. This one in particular has always been fascinating to me, for the most part I wondered why people in the community even cared when the product went Open Beta, after all they were already playing the game and enjoying it, what did it matter to them when the product went Open Beta? Of course after studying the subject you start to understand and list off the various reasons people have. But I was also filled with the belief that each of those concerns is very easily addressed, and I will list off a few here:

1) I don’t want to spend money on the game until it has more content – This one is very easy to address as Open Beta launch will represent the FINAL data wipe, therefore players will be starting over one last time. This also means that all of their MC, if they have purchased any, or the entirety of the Founders rewards will be reimbursed completely: therefore you get to choose when the time is right to spend your MC currency.
2) I don’t think it’s fair that my Founders premium account should start at Open Beta - At an estimated Nov 13th patch all Founders will have their premium time reset once again (two free weeks of premium time!) and be given a “button” that allows Founders the opportunity to choose exactly when to start their premium time. It will not start counting down until you, the Founder, decide it is worth it.
3) Oh no it can’t be Open Beta because the game still does not have X Feature or Y piece of content, I can’t believe MWO will not said feature or content – I think all of us get caught up in the retail product mentality. Just because MWO is going Open Beta in no way means we are finished making the game or that we will even slowdown in the slightest. We already have nine months of work lined up in front of us and frankly there is no end to the work in sight. We could easily delay Open Beta endlessly to just wait for one more feature or one more piece of content which could easily become a black hole.
4) I love MechWarrior and I want the whole world to love it too, but if it goes out too soon that may not happen – This is a great point of passion that we share with you, but there are just limits to what we can do and how long we can hold off on launching the product. But let’s not lose sight of the fact that the core MWO experience is a ton of fun. All of the media previews from PC Gamer to Penny Arcade agree, the core experience is extremely addictive and fun - we already have what most games never end up finding. Now we just need to add more content and more features, that’s great we can do that and will.

Now that I have talked about some of the feelings the community has expressed regarding Open Beta, let me try and explain some of the reasons why we feel the time is right:

1) We just can’t ask more of our closed beta testers - The closed beta testers have done an amazing job, but many of you - including many founders - are just plain fatigued at having their data wiped. In fact according to our data we even have 10’s of thousands of Founders that are just waiting for Open Beta to play again so that their play time is not wasted. It is time for us to get into Open Beta and stop the data wipes.
2) We can’t effectively test certain things any further with our current community – In many ways we can’t effectively test systems both in back end infrastructure and game systems without both more and different types of players. We need to bring in new non-core players to determine what aspects of MWO interface, etc need to be changed and exactly how they should be changed. We can’t make proper headway in these areas without Open Beta.
3) Customer Support, server stress – we just need to take the next step in our player base to be able to stress and then take these systems to the next level.

In the end there are many reasons across all aspects of running a large game like this that tell us we need to take the next step in order to continue to improve the product at the pace we want to. I hope this information helps you guys in the community understand more clearly the reasoning behind our decisions. I know that almost all the questions and concerns we get from the community is because you care a great deal about this product and really desire to see it successful. Many of you wonder what it is you can do to help make this game a success. Of course many of you purchased Founders packages, which was an immense help, but how else can you help? Please be a huge positive force on the forums, social feeds and most importantly in the game. If you see a new player needing help, take the time to inform them on the nuances of MechWarrior and how they can get better at the game. Help us spread the word and bring new players to the game. Continue to submit support tickets with any issues or bugs you find in the game, as well as continue to provide us your feedback but strive to keep the emotion out of your opinions.

I hope this has been helpful, and once again thanks for your support. I will talk to you again soon.

Russ Bullock
President
Piranha Games Inc.

epmode

WHY CAN'T I COPY/PASTE MY PASSWORD INTO THE LAUNCHER YET

This is making me crazy. I use KeePass to store unique 20+ digit passwords for absolutely everything on the internet and this is the the only site that is giving me a problem. The few threads I see on the mwomercs forum are filled with people mocking the complainers for being careful about internet security.

In other news, the stupid mwomercs website won't even store my credentials for longer than a few minutes. Do these guys even use the internet?

Sethos

Banned

This is making me crazy. I use KeePass to store unique 20+ digit passwords for absolutely everything on the internet and this is the the only site that is giving me a problem. The few threads I see on the mwomercs forum are filled with people mocking the complainers for being careful about internet security.

In other news, the stupid mwomercs website won't even store my credentials for longer than a few minutes. Do these guys even use the internet?

I'm with you. I haven't even touched the game in a long time because of it.

Seems silly for some but it's important to me.

Having to log in to the website every single time I visit it could be the single most annoying thing about this whole game.

DTKT

So, I'm trying to log in but it keeps telling me to enter a Captcha. Thing is, there isn't one on the login page...

Orayn

Day off tomorrow, looking forward to doing battle with all the fresh meat from open beta. Any thoughts on the new reduced 'Mech prices?

Day off tomorrow, looking forward to doing battle with all the fresh meat from open beta. Any thoughts on the new reduced 'Mech prices?
I'm fine with these prices, but I'm a founder with premium time and a c-bill boosting mech.

Last night I tried getting my friend, a BT newbie in all regards, to play with me. He took to it pretty well, but after a few hours, he felt his C-Bills reward was low. I think it was 300k after 90 minutes? Give or take?

Trial Mechs need a C-Bill Booster for a certain period. I don't care if it's your first 12 hours of play, until a certain C-Bill threshold (maybe your first 2.5 M earned), until you buy your first mech, or maybe something like first 20 matches played or something.

My friend enjoyed the core experience, but he's the type who would love to fidget in the mechbay, and not being able to do so until he plays for damn near 10 hours or so is likely to turn him off. I realize grindy and F2P go hand in hand, but I think if the initial grab is there then he'd likely stick around, buy himself a hunchie, and might be more inclined to drop some cash on some MC. I know if I had to grind out on the shitty Raven build that's up there right now I'd kinda be madface. Trial mechs are important but they need to address the very very slow start.

Last night I tried getting my friend, a BT newbie in all regards, to play with me. He took to it pretty well, but after a few hours, he felt his C-Bills reward was low. I think it was 300k after 90 minutes? Give or take?

You get 60k for losing game on free account - so that's 5 games at max.

Did he know he doesn't need to observe game till it ends ? And can start playing another one as soon as his mech is dead ?

Mupod

I think they said that would happen at a later date in November. So Premium time at least gets reset once more(meaning we get 2 weeks of free premium time I guess).

Ah, that's good. I haven't been able to play for the last month and a half and I just remembered the premium account thing.

Looking forward to trying out the changes this weekend.

teepo

Did he know he doesn't need to observe game till it ends ? And can start playing another one as soon as his mech is dead ?

i've been away from my computer for some time now, but as far back as two weeks ago, even if you had died in the match, you had to wait until the game is over before you can pilot another mech since the system can't calculate your winnings and repair costs until the match is over.

Lime

i've been away from my computer for some time now, but as far back as two weeks ago, even if you had died in the match, you had to wait until the game is over before you can pilot another mech since the system can't calculate your winnings and repair costs until the match is over.

Incorrect. You cannot pilot the same mech, but it is certainly possible to play another match while your "dead" mech is still in an earlier game. At least from my experience.

I was under the impression that no longer worked, as stated by the other posters. If it does work for the C-Bill grind, though, it might not be the worst idea for him.

I will admit, popping Trial mechs is insanely easy and probably frustrating as fuck for the players who are stuck with those builds.

Where did Stats go on the main site? Is that no longer available?

I loaded up the game for the first time in a while last night.

I don't really see the problem with Trial mechs as a whole but there should be some way to speed up the early grind.

I understand the complaints of new people who get frustrated taking on veterans with better equipment. However that is to be expected in my opinion and it's not like it is a very uncommon situation with online games.

And I still don't think they are THAT bad. I mean my Founders Atlas is basically just another Trial mech when I first get it with 0 C bills. Didn't stop me from doing 3 PUG matches last night and getting kills left and right.

Gotta say I am tempted by the YLW Centurion. I would have easily picked Centurion if it were available as a Founder's Mech but this one is even better...

Might hold off and see if there are ever going to be sales or anything though as I really don't expect to spend any actual cash on the game past the original $60. Planning to have this 20k MC last as long as possible.

YLW is trash - i had it in the beta before last reset and it was very underwhelming as you were loosing main weapons on right arm nearly instantly.

BTW i made 2500k in 3 hours using trial mechs (and premium account)- so yes i'm fairly sure that you get cash even if you leave game after you died.

And I still don't think they are THAT bad. I mean my Founders Atlas is basically just another Trial mech when I first get it with 0 C bills. Didn't stop me from doing 3 PUG matches last night and getting kills left and right.

Well, the Trial mechs don't give the best idea of role warfare, seeing as how their choice for medium and heavy are chassis that blur the line between the two, and the heavy choice has more medium-like characteristics while the medium has more typical heavy like ones.

With the amount of new people in Open, I was hoping they'd open with hunchies and cats. Simple, clean, straightforward. Newbies can assist with LRMs and still get good damage and team assist counts. They can still test out the giant AC/20 and go "damn son that's a big gun".

Might hold off and see if there are ever going to be sales or anything though

I imagine there will be, like Tribes gets occasionally. They'd be silly not to rejuvenate the player base occasionally with MC 30% off deals or something. Or holiday themed paintjobs or mechs for half the usual MC cost, or whatever the case may be.

YLW is trash - i had it in the beta before last reset and it was very underwhelming as you were loosing main weapons on right arm nearly instantly.

Well, like any mech built around one large primary weapon, it's going to be targeted. You could say the same about picking the ears off of missile cats or focusing on the RT for hunchies.

BTW i made 2500k in 3 hours using trial mechs (and premium account)- so yes i'm fairly sure that you get cash even if you leave game after you died.

Interesting. Premium account counts for a lot, but even without, that's still a much faster rate than he was getting. I will suggest to him this behaviour, although it's difficult if we're trying to play together.

garath

Going to give this game a shot this weekend. I got into the closed beta awhile ago but didn't have a chance to fire it up. Watched a few videos this week and I'm intrigued. Don't know if my wallet can handle another free to play game though ($130 into League of Legends so far).

Any good starting points for newbies? Just grab a mech and do my best?

Oni Jazar

Any good starting points for newbies? Just grab a mech and do my best?

lol no. As a noob you need to stick with a group. Be mindful of your weapon groups and weapon heat output. Focus your fire on a target that is being attacked by others in your team. Expect to suck.

Nah, I love how missiles act in this game. I really think they have finally gotten the lock on mechanics right. It is incredibly easy to use cover to get away from missiles in the game now. Hell, I almost never get hit by LRMs in my slow ass 42 kph Atlas. lol

And yeah after looking over the Trial lineup I can see what you mean. Not having the Catapult open is kind of silly as it is a staple for teams anyway.
I haven't really paid any attention to them as I have my Founders.

Yeah, I am not sure about the YLW after looking at the hardpoints again. For a time in the closed beta I used a CN9-A Centurion with Gauss, 2 medium pulse, and set of Streak SRM.

I will probably just save up some C bills and build another of those.

I just hope the armor, heatsink and structure upgrades will be reversible for no fee. I don't really want to grind again to see an expensive upgrade not working. And DHS apparently still isn't fixed. I'll hold off until this has been changed.

I don't care what anybody says, Missiles are overpowered.

LRMs can be outran. TAG and NARC are still not used to their potential yet and I never seem to worry about LRM damage too much. The ones that do hit you do enough spread out damage to not worry too much.

SRMs though are a bit insane. I'm not sure what the fuck was going on but the other night I saw a Commando run in with three SRM launchers and one shot three mechs in the head, back to back to back. One salvo each. I've heard rumours of aim-botting in this game but haven't seen an expected case until now. (Then again, I did see a curiously accurate gauss cat doing the same headshot popping at extreme range a week or two ago)

Nah, I love how missiles act in this game. I really think they have finally gotten the lock on mechanics right. It is incredibly easy to use cover to get away from missiles in the game now. Hell, I almost never get hit by LRMs in my slow ass 42 kph Atlas. lol

If anything, AMS is a lifesaver.

I will probably just save up some C bills and build another of those.

So far, my only use of MC was to buy an Atlas, strip it, and sell it for parts, so I could get my Founders up to what it was for most of the Beta. Judging by current performance, I'd say that was worth it.

DTKT

So, is it even worth it to actually play with a trial mech? I get 60k just for playing a game, if I actually try to use the mech and hit stuff, I get maybe 20-30k bonus.

This game is a bit disappointing for anyone starting. You feel under-gunned, you have no flexibility, most starting mechs are not very good.

Then, purely on a mechanic side of things, I have no idea what I'm doing. Do I have hitpoints? Can I repair myself? How can I see how much damage I did? How do you deal with some mechs that just lob 80 missiles at you from 1km away? Do I hit them anywhere specific? Can I disable specific parts?

Top Bottom