• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior Online - News and Information Thread

Giolon

So are 8v8 matches just gone now?

Yep. The goal was always to get to 12v12 so you could have the full traditional 4 lance contingent on your team, but they had to get both graphical and network performance in line first. They were talking about heading towards it when I joined closed beta a year ago.

Some of the smaller maps can feel cramped with 12v12, and the deathball is now even more deadly, but I see more flanking tactics and lances sticking together and heading off in different directions far more prevalently than I did in the 8v8 days and the larger maps benefit from having the higher mech population on them.

It also makes deciding how much ammo to take a bit more of a tradeoff since there are 50% more mechs on the other team you might need to shoot at!

Official Launch trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea3spOtjLmI

It's so ridiculous, but it does make the game look quite cool IMO.

Did anyone decide to do an OT after all?

Is it me or when they say massive battles and you have loads of mechs storming down the hill does it look like more than 12 a side? more like to teams walking together down the hill to make it look like the battles are bigger than they seem.

It is a bit over the top but does look cool.

CTLance

I just dropped the stats from my MWO profile into Libreoffice and did a very quick-and-dirty graph. I am getting so, so so tired of Terra Therma, and now I know why.
chn3JQq.png

Matchmaking, why do you hate me thus.

To leave this post on an uplifting(?) note:
qWRIHTM.jpg

Giolon

Is it me or when they say massive battles and you have loads of mechs storming down the hill does it look like more than 12 a side? more like to teams walking together down the hill to make it look like the battles are bigger than they seem.

It is a bit over the top but does look cool.

I counted, there's at last 16 mechs running down that hill, lol. That's part of why I said it's ridiculous. XD

I just dropped the stats from my MWO profile into Libreoffice and did a very quick-and-dirty graph. I am getting so, so so tired of Terra Therma, and now I know why.

Matchmaking, why do you hate me thus.

To leave this post on an uplifting(?) note:
qWRIHTM.jpg

PGI has had the ability to weight map selection since Alpine came out, and they tend to weight it towards the newer maps. I haaaaaaaaaaate Terra Therma with a passion I never thought possible because I already hated Alpine so much.

shuri

Banned
the last update seems to have correct the fps issues. I play at 1080p/ultra high and when 12vs12 was introduced, i was noticing some drops to 40-50 in very heavy scenes, but with the last patch, its back to normal.

MAGIC

Llyranor

Yeah, there wasn't much point in calling this launch, but whatever.

Anyhow, still had a blast playing the game yesterday. I find the core gameplay to be in a good place right now. Pgi is horrendously slow at balancing/fixing things, but they tend to still get there eventually.

Flamer buff, wooooo. It was fun seeing a lance of hunchbacks backing me up, and I love the sound it makes. The sound of the lbx is pretty sweet now too - i guess it's been a while since i used it.

Orion is a decent mech. I think you can make a good balanced heavy out of it. In ways, it does feel like a poor man's atlas. It'll fell underarmed compared to the assault if you make it barely go faster than one. I decided to experiment a bit, and currently have a longrange harasser/brawler with 2ac5 LL ML. Not super firepower, but with a 325eng it goes pretty fast for a std heavy. Other build is a slower variant of my old dragon/centurion xl skirmisher, but with a std engine (300? 310? I forget). I combine lbx+2srm4art (torso only) into one weapon group, and top it off with 4 arm ML to finish off exposed parts. Going ~70kph pre-tweak gives it a nice mid-role btw the assault brawler and the med skirmisher/flanker. This guy can do a bit of both. Anyway, starting to enjoy the mech

teepo

the last update seems to have correct the fps issues. I play at 1080p/ultra high and when 12vs12 was introduced, i was noticing some drops to 40-50 in very heavy scenes, but with the last patch, its back to normal.

MAGIC

too good to play with me bro?

El'Kharn

Orion is a decent mech. I think you can make a good balanced heavy out of it. In ways, it does feel like a poor man's atlas. It'll fell underarmed compared to the assault if you make it barely go faster than one. I decided to experiment a bit, and currently have a longrange harasser/brawler with 2ac5 LL ML. Not super firepower, but with a 325eng it goes pretty fast for a std heavy. Other build is a slower variant of my old dragon/centurion xl skirmisher, but with a std engine (300? 310? I forget). I combine lbx+2srm4art (torso only) into one weapon group, and top it off with 4 arm ML to finish off exposed parts. Going ~70kph pre-tweak gives it a nice mid-role btw the assault brawler and the med skirmisher/flanker. This guy can do a bit of both. Anyway, starting to enjoy the mech

That variant with the missile tubes in the arms looks pretty sweet when loaded up with lrms. Doesn't do to bad a job with them either. I found that the shoulder with the missile pod on it a lot like the hunch on the hunchback tho so i've had to learn to turn that side away every time or it gets pealed off pretty quick

The hunches always seem to take damage fast, not sure if that's due to people targeting it or the way the damage is distributed due to it's size.

Definitely targeted. Each segment has a hitbox, and while there's some damage flow from one segment to the next in certain circumstances, The shoulder mount represents an easy to see, easy to target, and guaranteed location for the Hunch's main weapons array (or largest single weapon), so it's a no brainer to shoot it first.

A couple of new Mechs (Kintaro & Orion), the Gauss now has to charge before firing, a new map maybe Terra Therma.

A few other balance changes but that's about it.

Llyranor

I've been warming up to the Orion. Made an AC20/2LL build, which makes for a good brawler with good longrange. But my favorite build is still the LBX/2srm4 combo. My previous run was LBX/2srm4art/4medlas 310eng (66-67kph+tweak). Trying out swapping the 310 for a 300 (2.5 ton freed up for the mere cost of 2kph), so that's AMS + a free ton. Removed 2 medlas from one arm + removed art and that frees up 4t extra. Thus, 1 LL. I don't like decreasing the speed on this type of build (lacking focused damage, I want to run it as a harassing brawler, but 2kph isn't massive and the net gain is significant), nor removing artermis, but the addition of the LL is invaluable since the original build lacked any sort of longrange.

Oh man.

I maaaaaaaaaay have gone ahead and gotten a casting of that Dragon from the sculptor guy posted a few pages back.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF is it nice.

It's not cheap.

At all.

I'll post a pic when I'm done painting it. I don't actually OWN an airbrush though, so it might be a bit before I'm making progress on that front.

Phades

I've been warming up to the Orion. Made an AC20/2LL build, which makes for a good brawler with good longrange. But my favorite build is still the LBX/2srm4 combo. My previous run was LBX/2srm4art/4medlas 310eng (66-67kph+tweak). Trying out swapping the 310 for a 300 (2.5 ton freed up for the mere cost of 2kph), so that's AMS + a free ton. Removed 2 medlas from one arm + removed art and that frees up 4t extra. Thus, 1 LL. I don't like decreasing the speed on this type of build (lacking focused damage, I want to run it as a harassing brawler, but 2kph isn't massive and the net gain is significant), nor removing artermis, but the addition of the LL is invaluable since the original build lacked any sort of longrange.

I like the weapon hardpoint options the chassis presents and the distribution locations, but the thing is about the size of an atlas and not nearly as well armored. Sure I can do interesting things with it, but the survivability of the chassis in general blows. I've found that in many instances i would have done better in a stalker or something signifigantly smaller like a jager, phract, or centurion.

Llyranor

There'll still be monthly mechs. So, 1 new phoenix mech for Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan. Then the saber mechs for Feb and March.

I'm pretty excited for tomorrow. 12 new mechs (ok, 9 relevant ones, screw you locust!) to tinker and mess around with in the mechlab <3

I like the weapon hardpoint options the chassis presents and the distribution locations, but the thing is about the size of an atlas and not nearly as well armored. Sure I can do interesting things with it, but the survivability of the chassis in general blows. I've found that in many instances i would have done better in a stalker or something signifigantly smaller like a jager, phract, or centurion.
Some good points. It's very much an in-between mechs where you start considering taking a stronger heavier mech, or a lighter small faster mech. However, I still really enjoyed playing around with it as a fast (for an assault, anyway) assault. The extra speed allowed me to flank a bit more, rather than just dish it out in classic 'stand and take it' assault fights.

Llyranor

Messed around with a few mechs so far. The locust, as expected, is a joke mech. That being said, at max engine it can go about 154 pre-tweak, so it'll be able to outrun jenners and ravens once it gets tweak. 1V can man 4 MGs+2t + either a med laser or a flamer (hahahaha) as well as AMS with max XL190. 3M can man 5 small lasers with 13DHS (which isn't a great idea since the jenner can do way better as a laserboat). It's a joke mech, but it's actually kind of fun...?

Shadowhawk is amazing. Enjoying all 3 variants. I mean, 55ton, ballistic slot, JJ, able to go 80-100kph. It's almost the ideal mech for me. Really really really enjoying this one.

Haven't tried the bigger mechs yet.

No Love

Banned
So I haven't played this since late last year/early this year... is it any good? Did they fix the horrible economy where they made it hard as hell to make money?

dionysus

Yaldog
Other than mechs what are the new features they have rolled out? Has any part of community warfare made it live? Basic guild system yet? Haven't played since May but I guess they have implemented larger match counts and 3rd person since then.

Other than mechs what are the new features they have rolled out? Has any part of community warfare made it live? Basic guild system yet? Haven't played since May but I guess they have implemented larger match counts and 3rd person since then.

Nothing really, just more mechs and stuff to buy. Larger matches, 3rd person, and maps would be it otherwise.

El'Kharn

The battlemaster is frustrating the hell out of me....cant seem to find a decent fit for it.
Love the shadowhawk.
Thunderbolt.....cant decide how i feel about it yet.
And seeing as how i cant find a drug dealer to buy crack from I'm not getting into the locust lol

If it wasn't for the machine gun nerf half a dozen patches ago, the locust might be borderline viable for spam for that, like the machine gun spider used to be.

Emphasis on used to, though.

A shame, I like the locust redesign aesthetically.

Giolon

Bryan Ekman streamed UI2.0 earlier today: http://www.twitch.tv/bryanekman/b/472237522

Lots of nifty stuff in there, like being able to set up your weapon groups, graphs w/ damage falloff, man I'm ready.

If it wasn't for the machine gun nerf half a dozen patches ago, the locust might be borderline viable for spam for that, like the machine gun spider used to be.

Emphasis on used to, though.

A shame, I like the locust redesign aesthetically.

You know what? The Locust is still a fucking beast - as long as you stay away from anyone w/ Streaks or driving a Jenner. It doesn't quite have the screwed up hitboxes that the Spider has, but you are so small and fast most people can't hit you. And you're so maneurable you can stay behind anybody. I cored out an AC/40 Jager from behind last night solo.

I'm running my LCT-1V(P) w/ 4MGs and an MPL. It's vicious.

BTW, anybody watch me die in the tournament? lol They did give us cockpit medallions that say "Launch Event Attendee" on them in last week's patch which was nice.

You know what? The Locust is still a fucking beast - as long as you stay away from anyone w/ Streaks or driving a Jenner. It doesn't quite have the screwed up hitboxes that the Spider has, but you are so small and fast most people can't hit you. And you're so maneurable you can stay behind anybody. I cored out an AC/40 Jager from behind last night solo.

I'm running my LCT-1V(P) w/ 4MGs and an MPL. It's vicious.

This actually sounds pretty silly, I'll give it a shot. I'm glad it's not completely meritless as a chassis.

Thanks.

MutFox

Banned
Just recently started playing this game...

At first I was "meh" but the game has grown on me.
There is quite the learning curve on this game, not a casual game at all... (Which is awesome)

Woorloog

Banned
Just recently started playing this game...

At first I was "meh" but the game has grown on me.
There is quite the learning curve on this game, not a casual game at all... (Which is awesome)

Except the idiot devs balance the game for casuals. Third person view. Balancing that isn't based on around the idea every knows and understands everything about mech customization (go a few pages back and you'll see what i mean).

EDIT check the last part of this post
There are no current plans to change the heat threshold towards TT values. Are we hard set against it? No, just at the moment there’s no need to do this. Playing with a higher rate of cooling makes a lot more builds become heat neutral. A lot of heat neutral builds results in mid-range damage applied at a constant rate over time. This mechanism would be highly exploited by those with knowledge of building efficient heat neutral Mechs.

MutFox

Banned
Hmm... I didn't play during the beta, only started playing last week.
3rd person mode sucks too, you don't get nearly as much info as with 1st person.
It's kind of funny to see the damage on your mech though...

Woorloog

Banned
Hmm... I didn't play during the beta, only started playing last week.
3rd person mode sucks too, you don't get nearly as much info as with 1st person.
It's kind of funny to see the damage on your mech though...

Doesn't matter 3rd person view sucks, its existence is an abomination. It should not be in a mech simulator.

Lime

Tried going back to the game after being away for a couple of months. The third person view kind of ruins the whole thing for me, because I hate using it myself (isimulation is the entire reason why I play Mechwarrior). Meanwhile, it affects me to think that other people are potentially using it for tactical advantages.

it's kind of breaking the experience for me at the moment. But I am a sycophantic Battletech fan and I'm sure I'll play once I have more time availabe or when I am in a mood for Battletech again. Most certainly PGI has the extreme advantage of releasing Clan mechs and settings, and I'm admittedly a huge sucker for those things :)

MutFox

Banned
They do force people to start in 3rd person which is kind of lame... (unless you uncheck the box)
Also, it's funny to see that no one that I have seen online uses 3rd person...
Seems everyone switches it to 1st person.

Would be cool if you could destroy the 3rd person camera that pops out of mechs.
1st time I played, I thought it was an enemy drone and tried shooting it down...

Felsparrow

Neo Member
3rd person being a drone camera always sounded fine to me. Yes, even in simulators there are drones, get over it.

That said, I actually haven't played the game in a long time, stopped well before 3rd person was added, so I'd have to see what the implementation of it is.

But for the most part, people always find reasons to be upset.

I think they could have dealt with this via a better in-game HUD that would show not only a better indicator of torso twist and nearby objects, but also whether your guns were obscured from where your crosshair was pointing.

Top Bottom